Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 12:02:30 AM   
homersimpson_esq

So my love of this film is no big secret. I said after it came out that I think it the greatest single film made since the millennium (I say 'single film' because I take the Lord of the Rings trilogy out of the equation being as they are three films as one story and difficult to compare to a single self-contained film). Now granted there are many, many great films made since 2001, but in my book none top this one. It has power, grace, sterling acting, directing, scriptwriting, musical scoring (and music selection - the Arvo Part and Brahms are inspired choices). It has a story that has so many layers it would make an onion cry. It has a scale that is vast, and a story that is intimate. it chronicles the descent of one man into bitter loneliness, crushing others as he falls. It is unrelenting, unforgiving, and utterly spellbinding.

There must be others who, even if not quite as fervent as I, recognise the greatness and embrace it. If not, why not? Let's get a discussion going. Some 11 months after it was released, it's had some time to settle, some room to breathe in our consciousness. Is it a great for the ages? A true modern classic and all that that entails? Is it overhyped claptrap? Is it somewhere in between?

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 12:09:28 AM   
DazDaMan

What film is this?!

(I'm being serious - I haven't a fucking clue what it is!)

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 12:32:25 AM   
homersimpson_esq

It occurred to me after I posted that I never once mentioned the name of the film, other than the initials in the title. For shame Daz - it's There Will Be Blood!

Get thee hence and watch it forthwith!

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 3
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 9:21:07 AM   
DazDaMan

Ahhh, I see!  Thanks for that!  I kept seeing that damn milkshake quote all over the place, and had no clue what you were all on about!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

Post #: 4
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 9:33:10 AM   
tftrman

I've only seen this once so far, but I did love it but at the same time I can see why it's an acquired taste since not a great deal happens in it! If there is a better performance than DDL's this decade though I've yet to see it. The only downside for me was Paul Dano's performance, it seems too comedic to me which I am assuming wasn't his intention.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 5
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 9:59:13 AM   
Rumbaabaa

My favourite film of 2008. I remember a film critic suggesting that only two current directors were capable of creating 'The Great American Film' - Quentin Tarantino and Paul Thomas Anderson. There Will Be Blood may well be a contender for this title, and is certainly the closest either men has got so far.  

Post #: 6
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 10:05:50 AM   
Epiphany Demon

May I join the club?

Simply an astonishing film, a performance which is only matched by one other this century (and that is Day-Lewis is Gangs Of New York), and an ending that has already become a part of cult folklore.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 7
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 1:45:09 PM   
homersimpson_esq

The club is open to all and sundry who worship at the Church of the Third Revelation. 

tftrman (is there a convenient abbreviation for this? I find it hard to internally vocalise your username!) - I think that the performances' tendency towards humour was entirely intentional: how else to explain that ending that so divides people? I think the comedy is bittersweet - more a cynical 'ha' than a belly laugh, but the humour is undoubtedly intentional in my mind.

Oh, and who else wants that pic in the first post on a T-shirt? I sure as hell do!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 8
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 1:49:56 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Oh, and who else wants that pic in the first post on a T-shirt? I sure as hell do!

As do I!

Post #: 9
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 1:53:10 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Or possibly just one that says "Don't be thick in front of me, Al."

Or maybe "DRAAAAAAINAGE"

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 10
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 2:30:02 PM   
Deviation

It's rubbish, I ahve no idea who would like such a film.*

*not really, it's one of the best films ever made.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 11
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 2:38:15 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

Favorite film of the year. Daniel Day Lewis > Everybody.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 12
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 3:32:25 PM   
tftrman

quote:

The club is open to all and sundry who worship at the Church of the Third Revelation. 

tftrman (is there a convenient abbreviation for this? I find it hard to internally vocalise your username!) - I think that the performances' tendency towards humour was entirely intentional: how else to explain that ending that so divides people? I think the comedy is bittersweet - more a cynical 'ha' than a belly laugh, but the humour is undoubtedly intentional in my mind.

Friends call me, "trtf". Or Martin, one of the two. I originally only signed up for the competitions before I found the wondrous world of the forums, otherwise I would have chosen a less unwieldly handle.

I'd like to believe the performance was intentionally comedic, and I love the almost slapstick(y) ending but I haven't been able to convince myself yet! And yes, I saw that picture and that it'd look great on a t-shirt!

Post #: 13
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 4:27:00 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Ooh let me join ! One of my favourite and greatest films of all time, and one of the greatest performances of all time; forget Butcher Bill, Plainview is the ultimate villain, misanthropic, vampiric, whatever you want to describe him, the performance just knocks you for six.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 14
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 4:46:29 PM   
no1psh

A true classic should have won the Oscar for best picture without a doubt, the best movie of 2008 along with The Dark Knight.

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 15
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 5:08:05 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

quote:

As do I!

http://www.snorgtees.com/?utm_source=VIM&utm_medium=Banner&utm_content=300by250_Multishirt_1g&utm_campaign=VIM

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 16
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 22/12/2008 5:15:07 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

quote:

As do I!

http://www.snorgtees.com/?utm_source=VIM&utm_medium=Banner&utm_content=300by250_Multishirt_1g&utm_campaign=VIM

I want every single one.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 17
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 12:13:15 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

quote:

As do I!

I think I love you.

These are Officially Awesome:

(that one happens to be accurate)

And of course the TWBB t-shirt too.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 18
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 1:00:07 AM   
Horror Nut

Count me in as well. I really enjoyed it the first time round, I found it extremely intriguing. The score is hauntingly excellent, and the direction is superb from PTA. Day Lewis puts forth a performance for the ages......utterly captivating.

The second time I grew to love it......but I seem to be the only person out of the people I know who really digs TWBB.......ah well.......for that reason "I drink their milkshakes.....I drink them up!!!". 

"Justin, someone just came on your cat".

"It's impossible to reconcile. It's kind of in a purgatory of it's own: you're not in heaven, you're not in hell......you're in Hollywood".

The New and Improved Horror Nut.......in 3D!!!

Post #: 19
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 1:35:01 AM   
Rhubarb

DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINAGE!

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Horror Nut)
Post #: 20
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 1:47:32 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Drained dry, so sorry.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 21
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 2:15:08 AM   
Horror Nut

"That was one Goddamn helluva show!".

"Justin, someone just came on your cat".

"It's impossible to reconcile. It's kind of in a purgatory of it's own: you're not in heaven, you're not in hell......you're in Hollywood".

The New and Improved Horror Nut.......in 3D!!!

Post #: 22
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 10:07:59 AM   
tftrman

If I travel all the way there and I find out that you're a liar, I'll find you and I'll take more than my money back, is that alright with you?

(in reply to Horror Nut)
Post #: 23
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 4:19:03 PM   
Timon

I feel kind of dirty saying this but... I though it was ok. Day Lewis was fantastic and everything about the film was beautiful but I wasn't swept up in the story and I really felt its length. I can't quite recall what threw me about it. I can remember the beginning, the end and his relationship with his son and Paul Damos's crazed but wonderful performance but the rest of the film seemed....dare I say it... forgettable? No, that's not the right word.... meandering?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 24
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 7:30:26 PM   
FritzlFan

http://www.snorgtees.com/idrinkyourmilkshake-p-486.html

Why don't I own this? WHY don't I own THIS?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 25
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 8:32:20 PM   
Lydia_H

I wasn't too impressed with this when I first saw. Can't fault Day-Lewis, but I was underwhelmed with Plainview. His development as a character felt rushed through. In fact the whole film seemed to breeze past. Strongest when it's distant from the characters and creates a sense of natural progress and change in their surroundings. Kind of the same effect in The New World, except TWBB doesn't really sustain this for long periods. The scenes that made the biggest impression were those that opened the film. They keep coming back to my mind. I also thought Paul Dano was fantastic in his slimy, kind of disturbing way.

Anyway I bought the dvd a few months back and I haven't watched it yet. Maybe I'll check it out over Christmas ...

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 26
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 8:40:16 PM   
homersimpson_esq

"And if I have no teeth than I will gum you!" It's just a ridiculous line, delivered in a ridiculously over the top way, that just works perfectly.

Lydia, Timon, I hope you do give it another chance. I hadn't watched it in months when I watched it again the other day, and even with Christmas and all the stuff going on, when my mind gets a chance I find myself going back to different parts of it, mulling them over, thinking on them, and wanting to watch it again.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 27
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 23/12/2008 10:06:16 PM   
dj vivace

I found the first watch difficult, but i think Empire got it spot on in the review, they said the film stays with you and you just can't stop thinking about it. Wel, that happened to me. Didn't "enjoy" the first watch, but it never left my mind and kept calling me back  Anyway, bought it on release, sat down and watched it again and was utterley mesmerised, completely blown away by it. Fucking monstrous film!! Absolutely essential viewing, just bloody brilliant. I could sit and listen to Plainview talk pretty much for the rest of my life!
"There's a whole load of oil under our feet!! And nobody can get to it, except for me!!!"

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 28
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 12:21:51 AM   
homersimpson_esq

It does just burrow under your skin doesn't it?

One of the most fascinating exchanges, and pivotal in our understanding of Plainview, is the conversations he has with his 'brother', about hating people. It gives some insight into the final scene. In addition the scene when Eli asks Plainview for his 5000 and Plainview scraps with him and stuff his face with oil, is a precursor to that final face off, I think.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 29
RE: I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club - 24/12/2008 12:37:21 AM   
Olaf

One of the best films ever made, I have no hesitation in saying that.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> I. Drink. Your. Milkshake. The TWBB Fan Club Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI