Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 5:19:41 PM   
HughesRoss

They have to keep the mask on this time.  Stallone was crap and the film even after all this time is still a load of rubbish.  Not something you could call a Guilty Pleasure.  One thing is for certain after Dark Knight, this will be dark, and please no PG rating

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 31
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 7/1/2009 8:20:36 PM   
Mr Terrific

Some very early, concept art!

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/new-judge-dredd-concept-art-5944

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 32
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 8/1/2009 9:52:46 AM   
Marwood

Looks nice, very much like the comics but to be honest not that different from the previous film. I like how Mega City 1 is painted up to look a lot more like Coruscant from Star Wars than Bladerunner's L.A (although I still think that's how the filmmakers will go).

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 33
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 11/1/2009 5:08:49 PM   
danbo1138

Oh yeah that looks more like it.i love the Riot Judges pic,very moody and Meg1? thats looking ambitious.I think this and the Hobbit are now the ones to watch(4me)
edit The pics are unofficial.Done by a concept artist who works on Dredd (i think) he did work on batman begins too.called Jock.

< Message edited by danbo1138 -- 11/1/2009 8:13:03 PM >

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 34
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 12/1/2009 12:15:06 PM   
Beno

Being an old duffer - im 45- i have a different perspective sometimes to younger forumites , although i am a bloke and as everyone knows men never grow up ... not where comic books are concerned anyway .
I recall 1977 well , it was a year of transition and change , at least for this geek . The first Star Wars was released , Close Encounters of The Third Kind was released also, so me and my mates spent most of the time in the Cinema sitting through multiple viewings of both . At around the same time 2000AD came out in a blaze of publicity with its main advertising pull being a reinvented Dan Dare . I have a vivid memory standing in the rain in somebodys passageway reading the comic . Marvelling at the centrespread Dan Dare story with a massive space cruiser emblazened across the middle, i read every word . I think it was at the very back page that a new character was announced as arriving in issue 2 by the name of Judge Dredd ..... this was very much like a viral campaign .... holding him back almost like they knew he would kick the famous Dan Dare into touch and become the real star .
This of course did happen .
I purchased 2000AD on and off for years , and always cursed not keeping issue 1 , which must be worth loads now . Dredd was a constant .
The Stallone movie was , after a reasonable start , a let down . Stallone was'nt that bad , neither was the look of the movie . Of course he should have kept his helmet on , if only to keep him from seeing the comedy played out by Rob Schneider who was a massive mistake .
So what of the muted new movie ?? I think real fans should get involved in the making of it . I mean real fans that are now working in the industry . Simon Pegg is one such fan . As for casting Dredd ?? Someone like Karl Urban could nail it for me .
I dont fear the fate of this new take on Dredd cos at last these kind of movies are starting to be made right .

< Message edited by Beno -- 12/1/2009 12:16:56 PM >

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 35
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 12/1/2009 12:39:07 PM   
indysgill

The look of the previous Dredd film was great, just a crap story and Rob Schenider.
We need the Dark Judges and/or Orlok.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 36
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 12/1/2009 2:29:11 PM   
Marwood

Orlok could be fantastic. The Dark Judges are the fan faves to appear it seems but I'd actually rather not see them as I'd rather see the science fiction without the supernatural elements. There have been great stories featuring the Dark Judges and other supernatural beasties but I think they would either be better saved for a couple of films in or not at all.

Orlok and the Apocalypse War would be an awesome trilogy if the filmmakers are considering playing the long game with this prospective franchise. However a standalone film with Orlok causing chaos in Mega City One could work equally as well. My only concern is that it might end up skewing a bit too close to the Stallone film (some rogue taking down the Judges, causing panic etc).

Still, I'm really optimistic at this stage.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 37
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 12/1/2009 2:49:02 PM   
danbo1138

Agreed 100% on the Orloc/Block War-Apocalypse War story line,it could be such a visual feast it's unreal,plus you've got the fact that a resurgent Russia is on the move again and then there's the fact that Orloc is more or less a Terrorist(state sanctioned) all this could give it a solid grounding in reality if it'd handled right,it will certainly come across as topical.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 38
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 12/1/2009 2:50:49 PM   
Beno

[image]http://blog.ugo.com/images/uploads/doom_karlurban.jpg[/image]

As i said a couple of posts back .... Karl Urban for Dredd anyone??

< Message edited by Beno -- 12/1/2009 2:51:14 PM >

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 39
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 12/1/2009 2:54:00 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

Agreed 100% on the Orloc/Block War-Apocalypse War story line,it could be such a visual feast it's unreal,plus you've got the fact that a resurgent Russia is on the move again and then there's the fact that Orloc is more or less a Terrorist(state sanctioned) all this could give it a solid grounding in reality if it'd handled right,it will certainly come across as topical.

Nods

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 40
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 12/1/2009 2:56:16 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Works for me

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 41
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 12/1/2009 4:13:08 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Works for me

Yeah ... but the cruddin picture dont !!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 42
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 13/1/2009 11:14:43 AM   
jermreen

Oh this is fantasic news from a huge Dredd fan myself I think they have a great oppurtunity now to make it really work this time. Although in regards to the Stallone Dredd i did enjoy it but it felt like a childs version of Dredd than anything. They went far too little on the violence and the overall look of Mega City One. I did love Mean Machine though, he looked incredible and looked exactly like he did in the comics.

Does anyone know when this new Dredd movie will be released?

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 43
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 13/1/2009 1:51:57 PM   
Marwood

Apparently it will be going into production this year but I think that's more dependent on securing the production budget than press releases will have us believe. The new stories are saying that DNA films are producing but I really doubt they'll be financing this on their own considering it's likely to require a high budget for realising the future environment.

Although I'm wondering if to scale things down a bit it may be done 300/Spirit/Sin City/Sky Captain style to minimise the big sets/landscapes and make the money go further.

Anyway, I'm predicting a spring/summer 2011 release which will do moderately well (whether the movie is awful, bad, good or great) but may well get eclipsed in America by The Avengers and Batman 3 (WB's very optimistic release plan)

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 44
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 13/1/2009 4:26:49 PM   
OldGrey

Great news but. . . . . .  I just think it will get screwed up. Again.
I was really looking forward to Stallone's Dredd and I was soooooo dissapointed when it crawled out to cinemas.
I truly love the comics but I think to work, it will have to go against most known Hollywood formula. I can see the castings now:
"Yes, thats right, you can't take the helmet off, sorry ? Where are you going? Come back !"
I think it need to be an unknown to do Dredd justice, I truly do. And the story should be the Dark Judges or don't bother doing it ! And bin everything from the Stallone version.
Mind you, Diane Lane in skin tight leather again wouldn't go amiss - Anderson anyone ? ? ?

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 45
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 13/1/2009 6:27:10 PM   
danbo1138

if thats new fangeled youff speak for cool then cheers

< Message edited by danbo1138 -- 13/1/2009 7:27:32 PM >

Post #: 46
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 13/1/2009 11:31:33 PM   
jermreen

Do you all think that it would be better for them to have something like the film centre around a rookie or PSI Judge instead of Dredd? He is a character that has been around for decades with many bloody stories to tell and I think that looking for the right actor to play the part as well as having that demonic like personality will be vital. I mean we all know Dredd does have a nice side to him which he rarely shows. I think the only time he does show is emotion is when he's around his niece but even he sometimes holds that back at times. The problem with Danny Cannon's attempt was that Dredd showed too much emotion and to allow himself to be sidekicked to a whining little smartass to me was just inconcievable.

Hears to Britains finest comic creation coming back to the big sreen and making a big comeback.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 47
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 14/1/2009 7:33:54 AM   
morg1138

I would like to to see the Judge Grice story. 

It could work over two films.  First being set when McGruder lets the citizens of Mega city One vote and Grice tries to stop it in fear of the Judges being voted out.  Ending with him sent to the prison planet. 

Then the second film starting with the prison break (story line was called Purgatory) and the rest of the film being back in Mega City One (Inferno) when Grice lets loose the Meat Virus and turfs the Judges out into the cursed earth.  Would be an epic, just wish I still had my 2000 AD collection so I can re read that story line, awesome.

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 48
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 14/1/2009 9:32:36 AM   
Royal Mengistu

Yer rite Dredd is unscrupulous and downrite vicious. After all he IS th Law. The 1st film had potential put comic adaptations always get 'Hollywooded' so no fans are ever happy.
Mega City is rich with saga's and visuals to choose from like the Dark Judges, Madness of Caligula, Block-Wars, Oz. I really hope they have a tongue in cheek focus on the crazy adverts the Tin A/B/C foodstuffs and crazy fashion ideas and other ludicrous things that are normal to the Mega City public. If done well like Robocops 1st movie that would give the comic relief needed to balance a dark and broody lawless atmosphere, better then the 1st movies Fergie!. And we gotta have those ruthless Juvies (not unlike modern Hoodies anyway).
They gotta get the Judges bikes right this time and the ABC Warbot (Hammerstein) was the only yhting they got down to a tee.
Bring in Judge Anderson!

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 49
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 14/1/2009 10:14:06 AM   
Marwood

I'm not sure the fact that he never takes his helmet off would be as much of an issue now. Look at V for Vendetta, Hugo Weaving had the mask on the whole time - you never even saw his eyes. I think a lot of actors would be cool with going that route. The unmasking business in the first was probably more at the studio/star's insistence - at that time if you had an a-list star in your film you needed to actually see them!

I kind of like the idea of Dredd not being the primary character but to have the story through the eyes of a cadet studying under him.

Anderson's inclusion would be cool but I still think the Dark Judges in this film would be a mistake. This is likely to be the first of a hoped franchise so I think the Dark Judges would be better suited in a sequel (or not at all).

(in reply to Royal Mengistu)
Post #: 50
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 14/1/2009 3:05:08 PM   
DeppBurtonAlliance

I'm not hugely aware of the ins and outs of the Judge Dread comic so i dont feel at liberty to say much but from what i do know i would suggest someone along the lines of Kane Hodder or Kevin Durand to play the man himself.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 51
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 16/1/2009 7:49:00 PM   
Invader_Ace

The guy who plays McNulty in The Wire would be an awesome Dredd, it just struck me the other day.  Kane Hodder; No Thanks!  He way too big and a meat-head type.  Plus he don't have a chin!

< Message edited by Invader_Ace -- 16/1/2009 7:51:04 PM >

(in reply to DeppBurtonAlliance)
Post #: 52
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 17/1/2009 3:07:35 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

Anderson's inclusion would be cool but I still think the Dark Judges in this film would be a mistake.

I agree with this. Dark Judges are a bit "Out there" as villains for a first film...needs a human bad guy...Orlock, Stan Lee...Block Wars...A hotdog run maybe...

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 53
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 18/1/2009 1:33:45 PM   
danbo1138

I think the opening sequence shold be Dredd trying to stop supersurf 7,catching Chopper etc.it will be a great way to establish The Judges as a harsh regime(stopping kids having fun) plus it would look fantastic, then after that on to the Blockwar saga(orlok the lot..) and the film could end after the start of Apoalypse War thus setting up part 2 with the full on war with the sovs..
Agree what people are saying about Death,he too much for a straight film,having read the story last week for the first time in ages it comes across as a little bit daft.not aged well at all.Bollands art was excellent though.

Post #: 54
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 18/1/2009 2:18:32 PM   
somekindof_battery

A Judge Dredd vs Judge Death story just seems too easy. I'd like to see a film that really shows what the Judge Dredd world is all about. I hope they maintain a lot of the humour.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 55
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 18/1/2009 2:22:02 PM   
ky

I still reckon an animated series would be the way to go with Dredd. The Stallone film got two things right: the ABC warrior and Diane Lane. That's it. Way too shiny and clean-looking. If they have to do a live-action one, they should get Dave Gibbons or the creators as art directors and concentrate on getting a lived-in, worn quality to it all.

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 56
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 19/1/2009 12:01:33 AM   
jermreen

I agree with not having the Dark Judges as they might be done in a way that resembles the Cenobites from the Hellraiser series. If they were to try their hand on anything supernatural and monstrous then include an opening scene of one instead of having this as the main story. Although if I had to choose a villain for Dredd or any of the Judges to go up against it would be Orlok as he is hard as nails and personally I think is the one that is the biggest threat for Dredd and Mega City One.

Also I would love to see more of the Cursed Earth. The first Dredd film showed just a mere glimpse of how savage the Cursed Earth was like, and that introduction by James Earl Jones was fantastic. Actually the more I think about the original Dredd film the more I realise they got quite a few things correct. The ABC Warrior, Judge Hershey, Mean Machine, the lawgiver and some parts of the City were bang on.

< Message edited by jermreen -- 19/1/2009 12:03:43 AM >

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 57
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 19/1/2009 10:21:28 AM   
Marwood

I also think that the Stallone film got a lot right, my biggest issue with it has always been Stallone himself as Dredd.

Regarding this new one I think getting a star to play him will be a mistake unless they can transcend their image and go the whole film wearing the helmet. Brad Pitt is a superstar who takes risks with his career but if someone like Pitt played Dredd then you'd only be seeing the actor and not the character. Karl Urban I still think is a great choice but I also keep seeing Hugo Weaving in the role. Am I nuts or could he make a good Dredd?

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 58
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 19/1/2009 1:11:39 PM   
Invader_Ace

You're nuts.  I can't see it at all.  What is you reckon will make him good?
Dominic West (The Wire's Jimmy McNulty) gets my vote.  He's British, but plays American, parrallel to Dredd.  We know he can do the Grizzled, beat-up cop role, he's awesome, he's got character in his face, good mouth, needed for Dredd.  He's 39/40 about the right age for an in-world established Dredd and about as young I'd ever like to see the character.  He can play a character that you really like, but at the same time hate for being a dick; McNulty, the smug git in 300.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 59
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 19/1/2009 1:27:54 PM   
Marwood

I don't know exactly...I just think he's a very decent actor.

Dominic West - tbh not seen him in anything else but 300, however he looks like he could do it. Keep meaning to catch The Wire, thanks for reminding me.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI