Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dredd

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Dredd Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dredd - 9/1/2012 12:19:39 AM   
dreddhead123

This is becoming an interesting debate because John Wagner (who could be Sauchieboy) has seen a first cut and in November 2011 he said he was going to see the final cut

quote:

Wagner was unable to say much about the upcoming new Dredd film, explaining, "the trouble about this is, I've signed a non-disclosure. I would tell you a lot, but I'm never sure what I'm allowed to say." After some thought, he added, "I think the story is better. I wish, perhaps, that the budget had been a little greater. I'm going up to see the final cut next week and I'm hoping that they've corrected some of the problems that existed in the first cut. I can't really say more than that, but in terms of the plot, the structure of the story, it's much more representative of Dredd as he is"
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35243

but he hasn't posted anything new on his Facebook page. Hmm...

This could mean

A) He's seen the final cut and it's so average or poor he doesn't want to say so on a website like Facebook,

B) His non-disclosure contract prevents him from speaking out in a negative way,

C) He hasn't seen the final cut.

But it's worth pointing out John Wagner's brief review of the first cut didn't mention words like "great" or "good." He didn't even say he enjoyed the first cut. He didn't say it was terrible, but he didn't say it was good.

quote:

I'm going up to see the final cut next week and I'm hoping that they've corrected some of the problems that existed in the first cut. I can't really say more than that, but in terms of the plot, the structure of the story, it's much more representative of Dredd as he is"

Had he said "the first cut has a few problems but the overall feel of it is great, I was impressed" I think a lot more fans would feel confident about it. But he didn't. He couldn't even muster up the word "good" to describe it. A very muted response, and he's not posted any comment about the final cut.

Just to add some drama to all this, Mr Wagner hasn't posted on his Facebook page for month or so. It's possible Rebellion or DNA have asked him to stay quiet until the film is out. This could explain why Sauchieboy is posting here. He'll never admit he is Wagner but he actually admitted he was on IMDB then denied it. But his admission - claiming he was John Wagner and that he wrote Origins - was up on the IMDB Dredd forum. I'm near 100 percent convinced Sauchieboy is John Wagner. What better avenues of expression than to post on Empire and IMDB forums? Much better than Facebook because he can hide his true identity here.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 9/1/2012 12:28:24 AM >

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 331
RE: Dredd - 9/1/2012 1:11:28 AM   
Rgirvan44

I don't think anyone cares.

As for the film - well its not out till later on in the year. Stuff like Conan didn't get a trailer till later on in 2011 and it was released in August.

And anyway - The Raid is out there, so even if this sucks, there will still be a great block war movie being released in 2012.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to dreddhead123)
Post #: 332
RE: Dredd - 9/1/2012 1:22:00 AM   
elab49

We don't.

Dreddhead, just as we ignored any comments about where you may or may not have posted before, the same goes here. User IDs are used to give privacy, and it's a bit rude to try to 'out' them unless there is an issue of trolling or advertising, which is clearly not the case here. So please ditch the amateur private eye shenanigans and just stick to the film.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 333
RE: Dredd - 9/1/2012 1:39:37 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: dreddhead123

Just to add some drama to all this, Mr Wagner hasn't posted on his Facebook page for month or so. It's possible Rebellion or DNA have asked him to stay quiet until the film is out. This could explain why Sauchieboy is posting here. He'll never admit he is Wagner but he actually admitted he was on IMDB then denied it. But his admission - claiming he was John Wagner and that he wrote Origins - was up on the IMDB Dredd forum. I'm near 100 percent convinced Sauchieboy is John Wagner. What better avenues of expression than to post on Empire and IMDB forums? Much better than Facebook because he can hide his true identity here.

Do you seriously believe that John Wagner, the creator of Judge Dredd would now be spending his time as an internet troll? Nope, didn't think so.

dreddhead123, can you please STFU and f**k off!!!!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 334
RE: Dredd - 9/1/2012 2:26:27 AM   
dreddhead123

Okay, I won't mention it again but let me add this....

I have been posting on 2000AD related forums since 2001. Not once have I ever seen any fan post actual lines of dialogue from Judge Dredd strips - not once have I seen any fan claim they are John Wagner, that they wrote Origins. Sauchiboy did. In fact, he added one of the classic lines from America to one of his posts and it was done in such a subtle way I doubt 99.9 percent of the entire fan base would have spotted it. How many fans have ever done that?

None. No fan would do that. Let's hope he isn't John Wagner otherwise he's going to be laughing his Dredd socks off at you lot. His disguise is working.

Oh, and he also admitted he was a Dredd writer too. And he's Scottish. And by an amazing coincidence John Wagner is a Dredd writer and Scottish. And knows bits of dialogue from his strips too.

And Sauchieboy knows every John Wagner quote, every interview he's ever done (even the most obscure ones). If this guy isn't John Wagner then he's deranged because he admitted he was on IMDB, then denied he said he was. So it's John Wagner or a crazy loon. Based on his rather detailed posts on this forum he doesn't strike me as crazy.

This is not some crazy conspiracy by me. It's all documented here (and I can assure you Sauchieboy has kept a lot of the IMDB posts too).

From the IMDB Dredd 2012 board.

quote:

I wrote this:

Please explain this comment:

"Now, despite the fact that I don't write as many weekly Dredd stories as I used to, I haven't got time to trawl through all Scott's previous posts to find the first time he accused me of being John Wagner."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/board/thread/192070887?d=192070922 &p=1#192070922

"Now, despite the fact that I don't write as many weekly Dredd stories as I used to"

Is this a genuine comment or are you making this up? If you are not John Wagner, why would you type that you don't write as many weekly Dredd stories as you used to do? If you are not John Wagner then you must be Alan Grant or Gordon Rennie (both Dredd writers, both don't write on a regular basis).

"For the record I am not and have never been Dredd creator John Wagner. Sorry, Scott."

You're claiming you're not John Wagner now even though you admitted you were.

Sauchieboy wrote:

"Alright, Scott; I admit it. I should have known you were wise to me- after all; we go back a long way, you and me, Son. Was it my use of the Scottish vernacular that gave me away? At any rate, you've cleverly seized upon the one glaring anomaly in thirty-odd years of Dredd continuity- the Polders/Tell anachronism- and I have to admit that this was an embarrassing error of judgement on my part. I'm not a young man anymore, Scott; the strain on me has been heavy and I wish, perhaps, that my resolve had been a little greater when I made the decision to step away from my writing commitments in the Nineties."

I wrote:

You said "you were wise to me." You said "error of judgement on my part" regarding the contradiction in Origins. Why would this guy - who is a huge fan of John Wagner's work - he's the guy that posts so many of his old quotes - this is a guy that wrote "no-one writes Dredd better than Wagner" - PRETEND TO BE HIM for a few posts? Why would Sauchieboy do that? If you have so much respect for a 2000AD writer you think it's right to impersonate him? Sauchieboy, I don't believe even a geeky fan would do that. Your defence is

"How could I deny Scott the chance to finally make the breakthrough he'd always dreamed of? Telling him I wasn't John Wagner would be like telling a kid that Santa wasn't real. I mean I didn't say I was wagner, but I didn't say I wasn't either ...

It's fairly obvious what I was up to: everything above is a shameless confirmation of Scott's world view: busy and successful comic industry professionals waste their time trying to manipulate fan-opinion on the internet; Garland's script is crap; Origins contradicts The Cal Files, so his Amazon review wasn't just sour grapes; being a pain in the arse will make people pay attention to your ideas and employ you in your dream job. Anyone with even a sliver of self-awareness would have seen through it."

This does not explain why you felt it was necessary to be John Wagner. You're saying you replied just to reinforce Scott's 'fantasy' view that pro writers would bother to reply to him, but what makes you think it's acceptable to explain why John Wagner made an error of judgement. If you're not John Wagner, don't you think it's wrong for you to post as him? I would say so. You're saying "I will pretend I'm John Wagner to convince Scojo I am him to just make him feel better, to pander to his delusion" even though this makes you dishonest, masquerading as John Wagner, claiming you wrote Origins when you didn't! You even the effrontery to say his writing of Origins was an error"on my part" (Wagner's). That is outrageous dishonesty. If you're a Judge Dredd writer but not Mr Wagner then claiming you are and trying to palm off Origins as you're own is a low deception.

I think Sauchieboy is John Wagner. He is not a crazy loon impersonating him so the only other explanation is it is John Wagner.

This is the smoking gun proof - his own reply in which he is forced to admit he pretended to be Wagner when it's him all the time!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/board/thread/192070887?d=192070954&p=1#192070954

What better deception than to pretend to be the guy and then deny it. Only the real John Wagner would dare to do that! What fan would dare to claim they wrote Origins, that they made a slight mistake. No fan would dream of impersonating the great John Wagner. Seriously, who would? No-one. But John Wagner would.

quote:

If any of you are thinking some of the above sounds a little familiar, that's probably because it's an amalgam of Fargo, Goodman and Judd's dialogue from Origins- the story Scott had just spent about twenty posts arguing with BURLEARTH over, in maddening detail and ever decreasing circles. There's a little of Wagner in there too: I'm particularly taken with 'I wish, perhaps, that my resolve had been a little greater', which is a pinch from Wagner's 'I wish, perhaps, that the budget had been a little greater' from the same Dundee speech I reference later in the post. All the clues were there if Scott wanted to follow them- the title of my post even references the greatest identity fake-out in the Dredd strip's history, ferchrissakes.

No fan would ever take Origins dialogue and use it the way Sauchiboy did. That is beyond fan geekyness but the real John Wagner would use his own dialogue to show off it's actually him. I would stake this week's prog on Sauchieboy being John Wagner. It's him and he's posting here.

And one last point - who the heck would even BOTHER TO SPEND THE TIME TO WRITE THIS:

quote:

Alright, Scott; I admit it. I should have known you were wise to me- after all; we go back a long way, you and me, Son. Was it my use of the Scottish vernacular that gave me away? At any rate, you've cleverly seized upon the one glaring anomaly in thirty-odd years of Dredd continuity- the Polders/Tell anachronism- and I have to admit that this was an embarrassing error of judgement on my part. I'm not a young man anymore, Scott; the strain on me has been heavy and I wish, perhaps, that my resolve had been a little greater when I made the decision to step away from my writing commitments in the Nineties.

That's no excuse for short-changing loyal readers like yourself though, Scott, and damaging my reputation for absolute probity. I did something I should not have done and in desperation I thought it was better to conceal the truth concerning my moment of human frailty. I tried to deny it, but I didn't believe in myself anymore- I kept asking myself, 'have I done the right thing?'. The readers believe in me, but therein lay the key- one step over the line and the whole edifice crumbles. I had deadlines to meet and who knows how much longer is left to me ...?

Acknowledging that mistake is what has made me break cover, Scott. This is a perilous step to take, but I feel I must try to persuade you to overlook our past differences and get behind the new Dredd (2012) film. We've all got a lot invested (literally and metaphorically) in this film being a success, but you've done a hell of a job convincing everyone on the internet that it's a fundamentally flawed enterprise. You've distinguished yourself despite your young age, in a way a lesser man could never have achieved.

It's too late now to address the problems I referred to in Dundee; many of which emanate from Garland's flawed script, as you've correctly identified in previous posts. What's done is done, Scott: what good purpose is served by exposing our mistakes now? What message would that send to our enemies? Aren't we in danger of shooting ourselves in the foot? You never heard this from me, you understand- I'll delete this post forthwith- but I need you beside me on this one, Scott: I call on you to pledge your allegiance to the new film. I'm asking you, begging you; it's not too late ... we can fix this.

To this end, I have initiated discussions with Rebellion and the movie people to involve you in future projects and bring this disastrous parting of the ways to a fair and just conclusion. To see the truth of my words and claim what is yours by right, simply contact me through my Facebook page, Son.

but John Wagner? Would you write all that? Of course not. Would a casual Dredd/2000AD fan write that? No way. It's too long, too detailed for an average fan. The average fan would too what Spaldron has done and write

"Who the f*** cares what you think, Dreddhead. STFU!" What Dredd fan would write all of that detailreply other than someone closely associated with Judge Dredd. And there's no-one more closely associated with Judge Dredd than Mr John Wagner. Conclusion - Sauchieboy is John Wagner.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 9/1/2012 2:56:14 AM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 335
RE: Dredd - 9/1/2012 6:48:51 AM   
elab49

Dreddhead, I'm not sure you quite understand the words 'I won't mention this again'. Please do us a favour and actually practice what you preach. 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 9/1/2012 6:49:12 AM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 336
RE: Dredd - 9/1/2012 1:20:42 PM   
Drew_231

[image]http://www.lonewolf-grips.net/southafrica/wp-content/gallery/dredd/lonewolf-grips-dredd%20%284%29.jpg[/image]

This is irrelevent now but anyway. I work about two blocks down from this area and never knew any of this was going on
Strange

'edit' sorry pic is not working. Its one of the location shots that was up earlier in the thread

< Message edited by Drew_231 -- 9/1/2012 1:22:01 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 337
Dredd (2012): If I Can Change And You Can Change ... - 9/1/2012 3:31:46 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

ED-209: 'I don't care about any of that! I just want to see a trailer with some actual proper footage in it goddammit!!'

Deciding whether you're going to enjoy a film based on watching the trailer is like choosing a partner after being shown extreme close-ups of their tit, arse and fanny. Just because you like the bits you've seen, doesn't mean the rest will be any good.  I'm sure DNA will be able to edit together an exciting, explosion-filled promo no matter how good or bad the finished film turns out.

I can still quote you Drago's monologue (and all the musical cues and sound effects) from the Rocky IV trailer, if you don't find a good excuse to make a hasty exit from the room. It was one of the ads at the start of a knock-off copy of Gremlins someone at my Dad's work gave us, and me and my brother watched both ads and feature film until the tape wore smooth. From watching the trailer, I was convinced the fourth instalment of the Rocky series would be the best yet.

(in reply to ED-209)
Post #: 338
RE: Dredd (2012): If I Can Change And You Can Change ... - 9/1/2012 5:26:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

But Rocky 4 is the best of the lot....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 339
RE: Dredd (2012): If I Can Change And You Can Change ... - 9/1/2012 6:46:03 PM   
danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: sauchieboy

quote:

ED-209: 'I don't care about any of that! I just want to see a trailer with some actual proper footage in it goddammit!!'

Deciding whether you're going to enjoy a film based on watching the trailer is like choosing a partner after being shown extreme close-ups of their tit, arse and fanny. Just because you like the bits you've seen, doesn't mean the rest will be any good.  I'm sure DNA will be able to edit together an exciting, explosion-filled promo no matter how good or bad the finished film turns out.

I can still quote you Drago's monologue (and all the musical cues and sound effects) from the Rocky IV trailer, if you don't find a good excuse to make a hasty exit from the room. It was one of the ads at the start of a knock-off copy of Gremlins someone at my Dad's work gave us, and me and my brother watched both ads and feature film until the tape wore smooth. From watching the trailer, I was convinced the fourth instalment of the Rocky series would be the best yet.

Phantom Menace,greatest trailer EVER......film sucked as we all know.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 340
RE: Dredd (2012): If I Can Change And You Can Change ... - 9/1/2012 7:14:28 PM   
ED-209

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: sauchieboy

quote:

Phantom Menace,greatest trailer EVER......film sucked as we all know.

I actually liked the Phantom Menace so I guess we don't 'ALL know'!

< Message edited by ED-209 -- 9/1/2012 7:19:00 PM >

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 341
RE: Dredd (2012): If I Can Change And You Can Change ... - 9/1/2012 7:47:21 PM   
danbo1138

didn't live up to the trailers promise though and is better than the film imo

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to ED-209)
Post #: 342
RE: Dredd (2012): If I Can Change And You Can Change ... - 9/1/2012 7:59:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

If the Dredd trailer is even half as cool as the one for The Raid then we should be ok. 

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 343
RE: Dredd - 10/1/2012 12:21:46 AM   
dreddhead123

Early this morning the Empire forums shut down - don't know why - so I was unable to correct a few typing mistakes and edits in my last post. Never mind.

My all-time favourite film teaser trailer is Judge Dredd. The one I linked to with Jerry Goldsmith's fantastic theme. I still get excited by that trailer. It really captured the feel of Mega-City 1. It's beautifully done - the music, the choice of shots. A mini-masterpiece. The final shot of Dredd standing isn't in the final cut of the film. Dunno why - such a cool shot. It's no surprise the teaser trailer didn't feature Fergee. That would have ruined it!

From what I understand, one of Sauchieboy's favourite sci-fi films is Flash Gordon. It's mentioned in a 2000AD or JD annual.

That was my silly attempt to get him to reply and admit he is you-know-who.

Oh whoops, I mustn't mention that again!

Karl Urban. Karl Urban. Not married to Nicole Kidman. That's some other bloke.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 10/1/2012 12:31:38 AM >

Post #: 344
RE: Dredd - 10/1/2012 12:38:00 AM   
Rgirvan44

I am surprised to learn your favourite ever trailer is for the Judge Dredd film.

Interesting to note that the other 2000AD movie, Hardware, is set in a few apartment rooms as well. And it is a great film.

Post #: 345
RE: Dredd - 10/1/2012 12:53:10 AM   
dreddhead123

quote:

I am surprised to learn your favourite ever trailer is for the Judge Dredd film.

The final shot of Dredd standing - the camera looking up at him - the screen changing to black - that sums up Judge Dredd. That shot is iconic but it's barely seen or known by your average film fan because it's not in the final cut of the film. That is my Dredd equivalent of the shot of the spaceship zooming over the screen at the beginning of Star Wars: A New Hope. That one little shot of Judge Dredd standing makes me happy. They totally nailed the Dredd vibe there - if only that could have been captured in the rest of the film. The potential was there - the trailer hinted at it.

Hardware features one of the best (or worst!) death scenes ever! The guy getting cut in half as the door closes. That is so graphic. It's so "ergh!" LOL

The gore count in Dredd 2012 should be pretty high. It's going to be a tough action film so I'll be surprised if it gets a 15 rating, but you never know, stuff may be cut to lower the classification. May make sense to reduce the gore and appeal to a larger audience.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 10/1/2012 1:11:17 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 346
RE: Dredd - 10/1/2012 2:35:43 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

From what I understand, one of Sauchieboy's favourite sci-fi films is Flash Gordon. It's mentioned in a 2000AD or JD annual.

That was my silly attempt to get him to reply and admit he is you-know-who.

Oh whoops, I mustn't mention that again!

You just did.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 347
RE: Dredd (2012): Raid Vs Dredd - 10/1/2012 12:31:36 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

Rgirvan: If the Dredd trailer is even half as cool as the one for The Raid then we should be ok. 

I've only read a plot synopsis of The Raid. Do you really think it's that similar to the new Dredd film?

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 10/1/2012 12:33:17 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 348
RE: Dredd (2012): Raid Vs Dredd - 10/1/2012 12:33:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yep - a special force enters a block ruled by a drug lord - get trapped and have to fight their way out.

And it has the best trailer I have seen in a long time - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 349
RE: Dredd - 10/1/2012 12:36:48 PM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

The final shot of Dredd standing - the camera looking up at him - the screen changing to black - that sums up Judge Dredd. That shot is iconic but it's barely seen or known by your average film fan because it's not in the final cut of the film. That is my Dredd equivalent of the shot of the spaceship zooming over the screen at the beginning of Star Wars: A New Hope. That one little shot of Judge Dredd standing makes me happy. They totally nailed the Dredd vibe there - if only that could have been captured in the rest of the film. The potential was there - the trailer hinted at it.

Hardware features one of the best (or worst!) death scenes ever! The guy getting cut in half as the door closes. That is so graphic. It's so "ergh!" LOL

The gore count in Dredd 2012 should be pretty high. It's going to be a tough action film so I'll be surprised if it gets a 15 rating, but you never know, stuff may be cut to lower the classification. May make sense to reduce the gore and appeal to a larger audience.

I know someone who is working on the Dredd FX and they told me some of the stuff they've been working on... and it's pretty graphic.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 350
Dredd (2012): What A Zuma! - 10/1/2012 12:37:13 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

by Drew231[/http://www.lonewolf-grips.net/southafrica/wp-content/gallery/dredd/lonewolf-grips-dredd%20%284%29.jpg

This is irrelevent now but anyway. I work about two blocks down from this area and never knew any of this was going on Strange

Mental! When you get a chance to see Dredd (2012), try to resist the urge to share your local knowledge with your friends, though. I watched The Matrix with a girl who spent most of the street scenes excitedly squealing 'I used to buy sandwiches from that shop behind Keanu!' in Australian (i).

When you're walking through that plaza (ii), (presumably whistling Peter Gabriel's Biko and thinking of ways to kill Patsy Kensit) do you ever find yourself thinking you've accidentally stumbled into the 22nd century, or are DNA going to have to add a shitload of effects shots?

(i)World War Z's going to be a fuckin' nightmare for the same reason: I wonder what kind of store they've disguised George Square's Greggs as?

(ii) Is that area actually a shopping precinct in real life, and what's it called?

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 10/1/2012 3:18:29 PM >

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 351
Dredd (2012): Anyone Who Works In Marketing- Kill Yours... - 10/1/2012 12:41:18 PM   
sauchieboy

Playing devil's advocate: this Summer's massive films have only just released their first promos. Dredd's out three months after those movies precisely because DNA want to avoid getting caught in their wake; doesn't it then make sense to hold back any Dredd trailer for a similar period of time, and for the same reason?

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 352
Dredd (2012): Sort Of Special Effects - 10/1/2012 12:43:24 PM   
sauchieboy

If the final cut of Dredd (2012) is yet to be completely locked, won't DNA have held-off final rendering of CGI work until they know exactly what scenes are going to make the finished film?

With Dredd (2012)'s Vern Troyer budget, completing shots just for the trailer might not be financially viable.
Hobbits and Bats have salaried in-house Code Monkeys, who can work on effects irrespective of whether they make it onto the big screen: Dredd's farming stuff out to several VFX houses, who are presumably paid by the hour (i).

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 353
RE: Dredd (2012): Anyone Who Works In Marketing- Kill Y... - 10/1/2012 12:44:24 PM   
Timon

I thought Wagner liked the film... or what he's seen of it.

Seemed to be pretty positive when he was on-set.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/19/dredd-creator-john-wagner-visits-dredd-movie/

Have I opened a can of worms?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 354
RE: Dredd (2012): Anyone Who Works In Marketing- Kill Y... - 10/1/2012 1:00:40 PM   
dreddhead123

The key quote is about his thoughts on the first cut rather than his thoughts on visiting the set...

quote:

I'm going up to see the final cut next week and I'm hoping that they've corrected some of the problems that existed in the first cut. I can't really say more than that, but in terms of the plot, the structure of the story, it's much more representative of Dredd as he is"

He said he was going to see the final cut - that was in November - but he's stopped posting on his Facebook page. I've no idea if he has seen the final cut but if he has he's not mentioned it. I think Wagner was wise to mention the word 'problems' because if the film does turn out to be a stinker he can always say "well, the first cut did have problems so I'm not that surprised the final cut didn't turn out to be much better." I think he's covering his back just in case the film doesn't deliver.

We'll find out in September.

quote:

http://www.lonewolf-grips.net/southafrica/wp-content/gallery/dredd/lonewolf-grips-dredd%20(4).jpg

That photo reminds me of the exterior locations in this film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eau3RoxGN8E

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 10/1/2012 1:09:37 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 355
RE: Dredd (2012): Anyone Who Works In Marketing- Kill Y... - 10/1/2012 1:04:17 PM   
Timon

Or... he's got better things to do.

Post #: 356
RE: Dredd (2012): Anyone Who Works In Marketing- Kill Y... - 10/1/2012 1:27:59 PM   
dreddhead123

If he's seen the final cut he may have been instructed not to mention it to avoid DNA Films getting peeved. If Empire message boarders don't know, a 2000AD fan created a Dredd 2012 website with updated news links and photos. He got a 'cease and desist' notice from DNA Films and had to close down his site. Another example - a guy actually worked on the film and posts on the 2000AD forum. He works and lives in South Africa. I don' think he had a huge part in the production of the film, mostly pre-production but the producers didn't like him posting on the 2000AD message board and he got removed from the film. He was told not to mention the film on the forum. Based on these two examples, it's extremely likely John Wagner will not give a detailed review of the final cut. He may not mention it at all. This may explain why he isn't posting on his Facebook page (but that's just a guess).

Once the film is out I'm sure he'll mention it, give a review.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 10/1/2012 1:32:40 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 357
Dredd (2012): Who Judges The Judges? - 10/1/2012 3:17:56 PM   
sauchieboy

Some of Dredd's post-production work is being done by The Mill, who tart up Dr Who and Torchwood. I enjoy flying sharks and adipose fat people as much as the next man, but do The Mill have any experience of working on this scale?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 358
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 10/1/2012 3:23:48 PM   
Timon

As in The Mill that is partly owned by the Scott Brothers and did FX work on 'Black Hawk Down', 'Hannibal', 'Tomb Raider', 'Enemy of the State', 'Hilary & Jackie', 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone', and 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'?

Oh and got the Oscar for Gladiator?

Yeah, they have some experience.

(in reply to dreddfan)
Post #: 359
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 10/1/2012 3:38:33 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

As in The Mill that is partly owned by the Scott Brothers and did FX work on 'Black Hawk Down', 'Hannibal', 'Tomb Raider', 'Enemy of the State', 'Hilary & Jackie', 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone', and 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'?

Oh and got the Oscar for Gladiator?

Yeah, they have some experience.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Dredd Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI