Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

He Is The Law!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> He Is The Law! Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
He Is The Law! - 27/12/2011 8:38:46 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

ratchet back on the personal attacks

Personal attacks? Spaldron told Scott to 'fuck off'- can't get much more personal- further up this page and the peg his coat's on doesn't seem particularly shaky (he's made over six and a half thousand posts). Nobody told him to fuck off- he made that decision himself. And, as far as I know, Scott's the only person here who's been black-bagged from 2000adonline.

quote:

stick to the discussion of the future film

My 'Funny HAHA' post (above) talks about the new film and the approach it's taking in more detail than anything else I've read here. Thanks for the advice, though, officer. You're right, mind you; I didn't read the site rules before I signed up. I just thought they were meaningless bumph, like the itunes agreement or the terms of a mortgage: but now I know I can swear I'll be doing it all the c*nting time. Actually, I thought I'd better play safe with that one. Can anyone be bothered looking up the rules to see if that word's allowed?

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 27/12/2011 9:14:41 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 271
RE: He Is The Law! - 27/12/2011 8:48:16 PM   
elab49

Detail is great. It's always welcome when new posters get so involved in the actual discussion. Just leave out the rest - if you have a problem with a post report it. No-one gets out of a warning by claiming another boy did it first - people take responsibility for their own posts, I'm afraid.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 272
Breaking The Law! Breaking The Law! - 27/12/2011 9:05:21 PM   
sauchieboy

Nah, I wasn't trying to get out of anything. I didn't realise that was a warning. I was pointing out the logical inconsistency of describing 'Spaldron thinks he's the fuckin' polis' as a 'personal attack' when it was an indirect reference made to another poster who'd commented on his behaviour. Telling someone else to 'fuck off' (without provocation), however; seems, by definition, more of a personal attack.

I'm sure you know the site rules and apply them consistently, but I've never personally abused anyone here, told them to shut up, fuck off, that they're insane or any of the shit you all seem happy to let Spaldron away with when he's reaming Scott. Never seen him get a warning. I don't want anyone warned or banned, and I'm sure Spaldron can take care of himself.

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 27/12/2011 9:06:42 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 273
RE: Breaking The Law! Breaking The Law! - 27/12/2011 10:47:37 PM   
dreddhead123

quote:

It's not a trick question, Scott. I've decided that Dredd forums without the entertainment provided by your shenanigans are duller than Downton Abbey. Forget what's happened elsewhere: you and me are pals here. So, bearing that in mind; what's more important to Judge Dredd's successful transition from the printed page to the silver screen: casting the right actor or successfully adapting the uniform? And anyone else can feel free to join in if they want.

I will be your pal here if you prove you are John Wagner (I have reason to believe you are him). If you are him you should provide absolute photographic proof. You can private message me and I'll send you my email and you can email me a photo of a future Judge Dredd script - for example: an unpublished future part of Day of Chaos. It can be a photo of a page or a few paragraphs from a page.

quote:

what's more important to Judge Dredd's successful transition from the printed page to the silver screen: casting the right actor or successfully adapting the uniform?

Casting the right actor.

The stuff with the uniform is a bit subjective and fan-geeky but I reckon most long term 2000AD/Judge Dredd fans would prefer a very faithful uniform rather than a SWAT version. If Dredd looks excessively overpadded or the helmet looks too big it may play into the hands of critics. I can imagine negative reviews of 'Dredd' featuring comments like

"Karl Urban tries his best to portray 2000AD's mean law enforcer Judge Dredd but much of the time it looks like his head is stuck inside an oversize blue painted goldfish bowl."

"Judge Dredd inhabits the violent city of Mega-City 1. Based on the look of his dodgy lawmaster bike, I suggest the city be renamed: Mega-Cheap 1."

It's possible the look of the uniform, lawmaster bike and other vehicles will attract negative comments particularly if reviewers have decent memories and can remember the look of the first Judge Dredd film. That film did have some wonderful production values. The look of the new film is important, it has to look reasonably sci-fi and not just grim and gritty but casting the right sort of actor would be the most important consideration. I'm assuming Karl Urban's audition was good enough and impressed the producers.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 27/12/2011 10:52:17 PM >

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 274
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 27/12/2011 11:50:51 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: sauchieboyDeviation, did your parents call your siblings Hesitation and Repetition?

HOW DO YOU KNOW?!    D:

(on a serious note, that was just a joke aimed at spaldron and something of a local meme. No offense was meant, and tbh I don't know why I received that response from you.)

edit: oh elab has said that. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 275
RE: Indecent Proposal - 28/12/2011 12:20:29 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I'm REALLY looking forward to this film! Hopefully it'll be a more satisfying experiencce than the first outing for 'ol Helmet Head! Ha ha!

Still, i thought Stalone's Dredd was quite fun TBH. It didnt take itself too seriously. Also, the special effects work was truly amazing. I loved the look of Mega City, esp at night when the neon lights and bustling market scenes reminded me a lot of my favourite film of all time, BLADE RUNNER!

I'm hoping the makers of this new re-boot bring something equally, if not more visually impressive, with added acting chops and gritty, violence! Basically a proper translation to film of the REAL Judge Dredd!

I'm pretty much in agreement - the original Dredd is kind of a guilty pleasure for me in that I know it's a bad film in a lot of ways but I still enjoy it quite a bit. It's a Big Mac film. That said the production and design was pretty cool for the most part and generally it was a serviceable action/sci-fi film, I think it's maligned by many because it's an adaptation and may have fared better if it was an "original" concept. That wouldn't have helped change the cheesy script admittedly but it may have caught less flack (at least in the UK where Dredd is more popular) without any baggage attached.

One thing that I've been concerned about with the new film is the overall "cheap" feel of it all - I know we've only seen set pics of Mega City One and they're out of context but it's all very low budget/Mad Max post apocalypse looking and that's a pretty major misstep. I'm not a Dredd purist or will get upset over little changes in the transition from page to screen but nothing shown so far looks "right" in terms of how they're presenting this world. As for the uniform I think it looks fine; it's recognisably Dredd but less fantastical than the Stallone version. Only slight issue for me is the size of the helmet and that Urban keeps pulling the stupid "Dredd Grimace" which elongates his face and then makes the helmet look even bigger.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 276
RE: Indecent Proposal - 28/12/2011 4:48:43 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

I'm REALLY looking forward to this film! Hopefully it'll be a more satisfying experiencce than the first outing for 'ol Helmet Head! Ha ha!

Still, i thought Stalone's Dredd was quite fun TBH. It didnt take itself too seriously. Also, the special effects work was truly amazing. I loved the look of Mega City, esp at night when the neon lights and bustling market scenes reminded me a lot of my favourite film of all time, BLADE RUNNER!

I'm hoping the makers of this new re-boot bring something equally, if not more visually impressive, with added acting chops and gritty, violence! Basically a proper translation to film of the REAL Judge Dredd!

I'm pretty much in agreement - the original Dredd is kind of a guilty pleasure for me in that I know it's a bad film in a lot of ways but I still enjoy it quite a bit. It's a Big Mac film. That said the production and design was pretty cool for the most part and generally it was a serviceable action/sci-fi film, I think it's maligned by many because it's an adaptation and may have fared better if it was an "original" concept. That wouldn't have helped change the cheesy script admittedly but it may have caught less flack (at least in the UK where Dredd is more popular) without any baggage attached.

One thing that I've been concerned about with the new film is the overall "cheap" feel of it all - I know we've only seen set pics of Mega City One and they're out of context but it's all very low budget/Mad Max post apocalypse looking and that's a pretty major misstep. I'm not a Dredd purist or will get upset over little changes in the transition from page to screen but nothing shown so far looks "right" in terms of how they're presenting this world. As for the uniform I think it looks fine; it's recognisably Dredd but less fantastical than the Stallone version. Only slight issue for me is the size of the helmet and that Urban keeps pulling the stupid "Dredd Grimace" which elongates his face and then makes the helmet look even bigger.

Finally a proper Dredd discussion. About the uniform, I don't have an issue with it yet as we haven't seen it in motion so we have no idea whether or not it really works. Presumably the filmmakers spent a good deal of time on it so I would hold faith they know what they're doing (or not). Same goes for the grimace, we haven't seen any footage so we don't know how it'll really work out. I would assume Urban did plenty of research and rehearsals (he is a big Dredd fan so he knows the character). The concerns about the low budget are partially justified, we do need to see those panoramic vistas to get a sense of scale of MC:1 however I understand the gritty aesthetic they're going for.

Personally I hope they stay as far away from that ridiculous Stallone film as they can. Comic book films have moved on since the 90's and are generally taken more seriously these days. Audiences will expect a more realistic approach than comedy sidekicks and flying bikes.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 277
RE: Indecent Proposal - 29/12/2011 11:45:42 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

Finally a proper Dredd discussion. About the uniform, I don't have an issue with it yet as we haven't seen it in motion so we have no idea whether or not it really works. Presumably the filmmakers spent a good deal of time on it so I would hold faith they know what they're doing (or not). Same goes for the grimace, we haven't seen any footage so we don't know how it'll really work out. I would assume Urban did plenty of research and rehearsals (he is a big Dredd fan so he knows the character). The concerns about the low budget are partially justified, we do need to see those panoramic vistas to get a sense of scale of MC:1 however I understand the gritty aesthetic they're going for.

Personally I hope they stay as far away from that ridiculous Stallone film as they can. Comic book films have moved on since the 90's and are generally taken more seriously these days. Audiences will expect a more realistic approach than comedy sidekicks and flying bikes.

True but it's a film adaptation of pretty "out there" sci-fi so that's something I liked about the Stallone film too - it embraced the higher concept/weirdness but pulled back enough to not really freak audiences out. No excuse for Rob Schneider though; that was definitely a 90s touch.

I'm interested in the angle the new film is taking and think you're right that it feels like a response to audience trends but that is a bit of a generalisation considering we live in a world where Transformers 3 is one of the top earners of the year. Hopefully by scaling things down the film is aiming for a more adult and character driven sci-fi action flick so as an actual film it will turn out well....but as a Dredd adaptation I feel like the filmmakers are missing out on delivering a harder edged take on the kind of weird concepts and grand sci-fi that the comics are routed in. That's something that the Stallone version did try and in some ways was quite successful in translating even if the overall film was a bit half baked.

From the trailer at least Prometheus looks to be a large scale, adult oriented sci-fi film (regardless of the likely 12a/PG-13 rating it looks very dark and in line with the Alien series) and that's the kind of approach I'd one day like to see in a Dredd film. The new interpretation will hopefully hit all the right beats but again I think I'm just going to miss the grander sci-fi aspects from the comics which are probably being ditched due to budget. I guess sequels could open it all up but I'd personally like to see consistency so the series doesn't lurch too quickly from being "futuristic Die Hard" (i.e. Dredd and his partner are stuck in a building fighting their way out and foiling some mad plot/s) to move onto madness like The Day The Law Died or The Apocalypse War.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 278
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 30/12/2011 12:52:17 PM   
dreddhead123

Storyboard sample from Dredd (contains very mild spoiler)

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6915/newsc23.jpg

Was posted on the 2000AD online forum. The drawings of the lawmaster bike do look similar to the leaked photo of the bike

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XiHfSw4YeFE/TTuQLmhOM_I/AAAAAAAAACM/SFstmEcbx9g/s400/Lawmaster%2BBike%2B-%2BDredd%2BMovie.jpg

so the storyboard could be genuine.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 30/12/2011 12:56:51 PM >

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 279
Do Not Dally With The Deviant, Have No Truck With The E... - 31/12/2011 12:51:30 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

on a serious note, that was just a joke aimed at spaldron and something of a local meme. No offense was meant, and tbh I don't know why I received that response from you.

edit: oh (it was) elab (who) said that. by Deviation

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who has sat, crestfallen, when reading a torrent of abuse (apparently) from a forum member whose past work I'd enjoyed- only to realise I'd confused them with another user.

That last exchange was particularly confusing because you and elab49 have committed the cardinal girl-sin of turning up to the party wearing the same outfit (or the same animated visual ID, anyway). Is your cheerleading banana animatic what Brian Griffin's Peanut Butter Jelly Time dance was referring to? That bit was lost on me in the same way the Monty Python cast's references to Harold Wilson and VAT must have been lost on generations of US viewers.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 280
What Difference Does It Make? - 31/12/2011 12:52:39 PM   
sauchieboy

Thanks for getting back to me, Scott.

I take your point about Urban; in the pictures we've seen so far (i), he does often appear to be trying to deliver a performance despite the impediment of the new film's uniform. However, in the most recent picture (in this month's Empire) (ii); for the first time, Urban looks like he's wearing the uniform, rather than the other way around. The new film's uniform was designed to work in the context of an Action Shooter, so it's understandable that it (and Urban) look most persuasive in action shots- rather than posed studio portraiture.

My own opinion, regarding the casting of Dredd, is that it really doesn't matter. Everyone has their own pet casting suggestion for the Judge and most of them would work just as well as Urban. Dredd's personality is so limited, rigid and clearly defined that any actor tackling the part really only has to decide where to put the emphasis in a few terse sentences and adopt the appropriate body language.

Faced with the unparralleled variety of ridiculous situations, bizarre foes, and diverse narrative modes in which he finds himself; Dredd remains utterly, hilariously, consistent. Dredd's un-phased reaction is exactly the same whether faced with a suicidal perp or a horde of zombies: there's not many problems he doesn't think can be solved by shooting something or arresting someone. Dredd doesn't possess the self-regard to feel fear or the imagination to be awed by the endless horrors and wonders he encounters because he's the perfect product of the self-negating, closed system of thought that led to the creation of the justice system itself (iii).

Given a script that understood the psychology of Dredd and the system that created him, there's no reason why any actor- even an indifferent actor like Stallone- couldn't make as decent a fist of Dredd as anyone else with an Actor's Union membership. Given a script that required Dredd to register emotion and undertake a process of self-examination, Stallone wasn't just shite; he wasn't Dredd: just a mid-life crisis in jeggings. Urban seems to understand something of the nature of the character, is willing to put the interests of the film before his own (iv), and doesn't bring the same baggage to the role as his predecessor. He'll be fine.

(i) We are only talking about still pictures, after all.

(ii) That tiny 2x3 inch snap looks better than any other publicity snap I've seen. Do you think Anthony Dod Mantle's conceived the film to look best when viewed on your phone?

(iii) Because Megacity One's coercive oligarchy views the wider world only through the prism of the law, their resultantly narrow focus blinds them to the importance of their own individual lives, as well as those of the citizens they police. Neither Dredd nor the system that created him in its own image have a capacity for self-examination or any means of self-expression other than violence, both physical and political.

(iv) Not many actors would commit to the helmet, and in Star Trek- the only film I've seen him in- Urban eschewed the opportunity to impose himself on the role of McCoy to service franchise interests by effectively playing the part of Deforrest Kelly, playing the part of Bones.

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 1/1/2012 3:44:42 PM >

(in reply to dreddhead123)
Post #: 281
Do You Suffer From A Fleecy Gusset? - 31/12/2011 12:54:58 PM   
sauchieboy

Thanks very much, Marwood, for taking the time and trouble to come up with a considered post. While I agree that the new film's uniform is an improvement on the Stallone version, I'm not sure about its poor quality of finish. Hopefully, if the film adopts the shadowplay stylings of the heavily photoshopped publicity stills that made up the majority of this film's early publicity material, a lot of the nasty looking plastic detail on the uniform will disappear into the 'negative space' (i) the film's cinematographer is so excited by.

I'd be happy if most of the film's reported 800 effects shots were devoted to making sure Dod Mantle's cinematography looked as artfully composed and tonally consistent as those early publicity shots (ii). The new film's attempting to make a virtue of its limited resources, so whatever means they can employ to hide the joins the better: if the recently departed Pete Travis pours as many buckets of Shakycam (TM) onto Dredd as he did on Vantage Point nobody's going to notice the dimensions of the helmet or be able to discern the weird fleecy gusset (iii) that Urban's Outfitters have seen fit to add to Dredd's regs either.

quote:

Urban keeps pulling the stupid "Dredd Grimace" by Marwood

I'm not a huge fan of Urban's inverted Watchmen-smiley-face grimace either, but the latest still in the current edition of Empire suggests that he turns that frown around- though, thankfully, not entirely upside down- when the action starts and it's time to stop posing. That face he's pulling on the cover of September's Empire is a self-conscious attempt to mimic Brian Bolland's all-time best Dredd image (iii), right?

(i) Anthony Dod Mantle, as reported in this month's Empire. I think he means that everything's very dark.

(ii) Opinions vary on whether the lengthy gap between completion of principal photography and the film's release is simply due to a desire to avoid the sausage-fest of Summer superheroics or to polish the visuals, but the text accompanying the latest snap in Empire suggests the latter.

(iii) Actually; are Dredd's new film togs leather with soft fabric inserts, or are they primarily soft fabric with leather panels attached to the most prominent areas to make them read more like the comic uniform?

(iii) The cover of the edition of the Eagle series of re-sized and coloured American Dredd comics that reprinted the post-Judge Cal story Punks Rule features a Bolland cover with Dredd looking like he's hiding a couple of bitter-lemon gobstoppers underneath his bottom lip- just like Urban on the Empire cover. Actually, I take that back; Bolland's best Dredd image is of Old Stoneyface offering out a couple of his colleagues with the line "I'm with Rowdy Yates Block! Who you fighting with?!" at the end of Blockmania (244). Shit, no; what about "Gaze into the fist of Dredd!" from Judge Death Lives (228)? Ah, they're all genius.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 282
W-O-R-D Up! - 31/12/2011 1:09:18 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

(1995's Judge Dredd is) 'a Big Mac film. That said the production and design was pretty cool', by Marwood

Like Spaldron, I'm not a big a fan of the look of 1995's Judge Whopper (with extra cheese), partly because that film misunderstood how the contrast between Dredd and the city he polices (i) illustrates better than any explanatory dialogue (ii) the outrageous contrasts, exaggerations and disparities of Megacity One, its inhabitants, and its culture. I'm not arguing that the 1995 film's production design was awful in itself, just that it did not serve the purposes of the story particularly well.

An Action Film is going to present its makers with relatively few opportunities to tell the audience about the relationship between Dredd and his city through dialogue, so missing an opportunity to use the production design to show the viewer (or at least suggest to them) the relationship between the brutal, pragmatic and regressive (iii) approach of the judiciary and the citizenry's outlandish, infinitely creative, self-destructive idiocy; seems self-defeating.

In the best science fiction films, like the original Alien and A Clockwork Orange, costume and environment are characters and storytelling devices too. In Ridley Scott's film, the integrity of the credible near-future look of the costumes and technology- an almost tangible world the director spends so much time establishing at the outset of the film- is troubled by the discovery of the Space Jockey ship, and violently destroyed by the appearance of H R Geiger's fantastically odd and other-looking creation. The contrast between these two design paradigms does a lot of the story's work for it, by instilling in the viewer the same fear and confusion felt by the film's characters as they too face something so completely outwith their previous experience and frame of reference.

By contrast, the fact that Stallone's Megacity One reminds Marwood so much of the brilliant production design of Bladerunner cues the viewer to expect a similarly noir near-future reality- only for Sly to show up looking like one of Ming the Merciless's henchmen (iv). The visual tone inverts the relationship between the austere, practical judges and the gloriously silly excesses of the citizens. Amidst the smelly, leather-jacketed old punks the casting director has bussed in from the King's Road, Stallonedredd looks like he's wandered onto the set from another (more fabulously camp) film.

Just as Blazing Saddles's rampaging cowboys crashed into the filming of a Busby Berkley musical and out onto the studio lot, jolting the audience out of the film and effectively signalling the end of any proper story; the arrival of Stallone, with his blingy epaulettes and Cameo-codpiece (v), breaks the fourth wall and destroys the integrity of the story and the world it has created- with consequences just as hilarious as Mel Brooks's masterpiece. In the comics, Dredd strikes a sober, intimidating figure and the citizens provide the comedic backdrop: in Judge Dredd (1995) the laughs are all on Stallone.

(i) The role played by this aesthetic contrast in understanding Dredd, his world and the nature of the justice system is fundamental: the visual disparity between the grim, black-leather-clad motorbike cop riding through- and dwarfed by- an eccentric, mushrooming backdrop of buildings that looked like C3PO's dildo collection (in Carlos Ezquerra's 2000ad prog 2 back page pin-up) was what inspired Pat Mills to accelerate the timeframe of Wagner's near-future early Dredd scripts- and led directly to the social, political and cultural exaggerations that lie at the heart of the strip's appeal. In the context of that city and its weird inhabitants; Dredd, with a parrot on his shoulder and kinky black leather, looked positively reserved and sensible. Wagner described Ezquerra's early sketches of the character as looking like 'a fucking Spanish pirate'.

(ii) Better than a James Earl Jones-narrated screen crawl, anyway.

(iii)Just as Justice Dept's founding fathers obliterated the finicky, complex checks and balances of the US constitution in their monomaniacal pursuit of Justice as an end in itself (as shown in Origins), their Tek Department sees an explosive cartridge and carbon-fibre baton as providing the shortest route from the detection of a crime to the neutralisation of the perpetrator.

(iv) Flash Gordon really understands the contingent and relative nature of camp. Having Brian Blessed running around naked, but for a pair of downy y-fronts, allows the costumers to dress everyone else fairly outrageously; safe in the knowledge that they won't be the most ridiculous looking character on screen. Because the entire production design is turned up to eleven, any ideas the audience has about what's realistic and what's fake go right out the window.

(v) Has anyone synced Stallone's shiny-jockstrapped introduction as Dredd to Cameo's Word Up on Youtube yet?

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 31/12/2011 1:42:37 PM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 283
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 1/1/2012 3:54:57 AM   
dreddhead123

The ultimate anti-hero returns to the silver screen this year!

Nine months and counting.....

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 284
(Simon) Phoenix From The Flames - 1/1/2012 3:53:36 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

(Judge Dredd (1995)) was a serviceable action/sci-fi film, I think it's maligned by many because it's an adaptation and may have fared better if it was an "original" concept. That wouldn't have helped change the cheesy script admittedly but it may have caught less flack (at least in the UK where Dredd is more popular)', by Marwood

Good point, Marwood. I've enjoyed many of Stallone's films: Judge Dredd (1995) could have been one of them if its makers had understood the comics' formula of using the phlegmatic pragmatism of Dredd's character as the unchanging constant that anchors the madness of Megacity One in something like reality. It's because Stallone and the producers tried to have Dredd learn to care and share, and expand the range of Stallone's performance (ii) to fit the tone of the film that everything spins off into irrelevant absurdity.

The film in Stallone's back catalogue that most closely resembles his stab at Dredd in tone and subject matter is Demolition Man (1993), which I liked. The film doesn't take itself too seriously, makes a few satirical points, features a fun turn from the villain, has competent but forgettable action scenes; and the script, costumes and vehicles are slightly mawnk. All of the above can be said to apply to Stallone's turn on the streets of Megacity One too: so does that mean I hate Judge Dredd just because it doesn't address the question of how you take a shit in the future?

I can see how someone thought there was enough read-across between John Spartan's financially successful adventures and the Dredd strip for one film to serve as a template for the other (iii), but it's this unambitious and lazy photocopying job that makes Judge Dredd so contemptible. It's stating the blindingly obvious to say that the film industry is cynical and unoriginal, but- Dredd fan or not- I'd have enjoyed Judge Dredd (1995) much more if I hadn't already seen Stallone play the same character in a better version of that story only a few years previously. At least the new film will be trying something different.

(i) I don't think I'd ever have thought that the helmet and codpiece were a good idea, but Stallone doesn't keep his kit on long enough for anyone other than comic obsessives to laugh too long or too loud; the story is utter cock, but that doesn't stop me loving Where Eagles Dare; and the ropey effects don't ruin the film anymore than those of Logan's Run.

(ii) The original Rocky and First Blood work because they were tailored to make the most of Stallone's limited abilities. Stallone probably carries some of the responsibility for the idiotic mugging he brings to the role of Dredd; since, after Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot and Oscar- and against the evidence of the box office takings of those films- he was convinced he had a talent for comedy.

(ii) The points of comparison between the two films are many: the uniforms are almost identical; Stallone is partnered with a feisty but adoring female cop; the bad guy turns out to be Stallone's (European thespian) boss, who springs Sly's nemesis from the clink to carry out his evil plans.

Post #: 285
Reality Bites - 1/1/2012 3:55:16 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

'If there (sic) going for a more realistic tone then they have probably nailed it', by Dirk Miggler

'that is more or less exactly how I see a real uniform looking', by dreddhead123

'Comic book films have moved on since the 90's and are generally taken more seriously these days. Audiences will expect a more realistic approach', by Spaldron

(Producer Andrew) 'Macdonald explains: ... I always wanted to make Judge Dredd feel a bit more real', Empire, Sept 2011

I hope DNA are correct in thinking that their adoption of the grim noir tropes and specious pseudo-realism (i) employed by so many recent adaptations and remakes will make Megacity One a credible cinematic environment. Aping new Star Trek's use of real world locations (ii) only highlights the artifice and ostentation of Dredd's costume, though. I worry that Dredd's baroque uniform, taken out of the (even more fanciful) context of Megacity One and transplanted to the mundane location of Peach Tree Block, will remind me of Dolph Lundgren pratting anachronistically about suburban California in his thong, harness and mullet with the rest of The Masters of the Universe.

In the context of a drab social housing project, a Johannesburg shopping centre, or an industrial unit (see the latest pic in Empire), Dredd cuts an unlikely figure. Dredd (2012) can't afford to create the consistent production design of a Tim Burton film (iii), but if its style of filming had been less 'real'- if it had aspired to the degree of visual abstraction shown by relatively inexpensive films like Sin City, A Scanner Darkly, The Spirit or even the inventive promo for Queens of the Stone Age's Go With The Flow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHKOC64KnE) (iv)- it might have made the Pot Noodle factory that Dredd's exploring in the new picture look a little less Red Dwarf Series Three. That would have been real good.

(i) The slightly dull 21st century strain of fantasy film pseudo-realism can be summarised thus: "don't worry, mainstream cinema-goer; everything's a lot like the real world- except for these guys in gimp suits/wizards' robes beating each other up. Everything's pitch black, though; so you can tell it's for grown-ups, and look (!)- there's Sir Michael Caine/Sir Ian McKellan: he's a proper actor and a reassuring presence, like your Grandad".

(ii) I never imagined that the engine room of The Enterprise looked like a bottling plant.

(iii) Where everything from the landscapes to characters' socks add to the integrity of the world the film's creating.

(iv) It's not a great film, but Speed Racer's heightened, obnoxiously gaudy colour palette would suit Megacity One down to the ground

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 1/1/2012 3:58:26 PM >

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 286
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 2/1/2012 12:40:07 AM   
dreddhead123

Karl Urban denies his Dredd will be mean and moody....

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/8730/karlurbanempirecoveralt.jpg

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 2/1/2012 12:50:19 AM >

(in reply to dreddfan)
Post #: 287
Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen Confirmed As Set Designer - 2/1/2012 10:08:23 AM   
sauchieboy

Some snaps from the set of Dredd (2012) and video, posted by the resourceful Joe Soap.

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,34756.0.html

These confirm the 'real' world approach many here have commented on, and they look fine. One thing I can't understand is the film-makers' decision to paint one wall of Peach Trees Block entirely green. This is a home decoration trend that will very much date the film to the early twenty-first century (my Auntie has the same scheme except she chose maroon as the colour of her 'feature wall').

Post #: 288
RE: Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen Confirmed As Set Designer - 2/1/2012 2:31:16 PM   
jobloffski

Painted green for effects to be added later? Such as, a money shot of MegaCity One that can be 'tracked back' through to give what the film can afford of the city to the visuals/act as periphery for wide shots to suggest we can see more of it in the future?

sorry if you're being sarky and I'm being dumb, btw

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 289
RE: Reality Bites - 3/1/2012 2:48:46 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: sauchieboy

quote:

'If there (sic) going for a more realistic tone then they have probably nailed it', by Dirk Miggler

'that is more or less exactly how I see a real uniform looking', by dreddhead123

'Comic book films have moved on since the 90's and are generally taken more seriously these days. Audiences will expect a more realistic approach', by Spaldron

(Producer Andrew) 'Macdonald explains: ... I always wanted to make Judge Dredd feel a bit more real', Empire, Sept 2011

I hope DNA are correct in thinking that their adoption of the grim noir tropes and specious pseudo-realism (i) employed by so many recent adaptations and remakes will make Megacity One a credible cinematic environment. Aping new Star Trek's use of real world locations (ii) only highlights the artifice and ostentation of Dredd's costume, though. I worry that Dredd's baroque uniform, taken out of the (even more fanciful) context of Megacity One and transplanted to the mundane location of Peach Tree Block, will remind me of Dolph Lundgren pratting anachronistically about suburban California in his thong, harness and mullet with the rest of The Masters of the Universe.

In the context of a drab social housing project, a Johannesburg shopping centre, or an industrial unit (see the latest pic in Empire), Dredd cuts an unlikely figure. Dredd (2012) can't afford to create the consistent production design of a Tim Burton film (iii), but if its style of filming had been less 'real'- if it had aspired to the degree of visual abstraction shown by relatively inexpensive films like Sin City, A Scanner Darkly, The Spirit or even the inventive promo for Queens of the Stone Age's Go With The Flow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHKOC64KnE) (iv)- it might have made the Pot Noodle factory that Dredd's exploring in the new picture look a little less Red Dwarf Series Three. That would have been real good.

(i) The slightly dull 21st century strain of fantasy film pseudo-realism can be summarised thus: "don't worry, mainstream cinema-goer; everything's a lot like the real world- except for these guys in gimp suits/wizards' robes beating each other up. Everything's pitch black, though; so you can tell it's for grown-ups, and look (!)- there's Sir Michael Caine/Sir Ian McKellan: he's a proper actor and a reassuring presence, like your Grandad".

(ii) I never imagined that the engine room of The Enterprise looked like a bottling plant.

(iii) Where everything from the landscapes to characters' socks add to the integrity of the world the film's creating.

(iv) It's not a great film, but Speed Racer's heightened, obnoxiously gaudy colour palette would suit Megacity One down to the ground

I think the uniform suits the stripped down approach they're taking; I'm not necesarilly a fan of the approach as I like the comics' grander sci-fi styles and concepts but Urban's Dredd at least looks like he fits in the world they've created in the promo pics (as opposed to the behind the scenes images).

I like the idea of going for a Sin City/300 approach to the material as a way around the budget issues though; while sometimes that approach can be wanky (The Spirit) with a competent director steering the ship it could be a good way to keep Dredd pulpy without having use a Pirates of The Caribbean budget. I think it's expected that there will be some CG augmentation to the locations anyway so I don't think they're completely stripping the world down to be pseudo-real.

Not sure where the Star Trek comparisons are coming from though - the 2009 film didn't look any more or less futuristic or "realistic" than the previous ones in my opinion.

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 290
Literal Is As Literal Does - 4/1/2012 7:56:15 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

'Painted green for effects to be added later? Such as, a money shot of MegaCity One that can be 'tracked back' through to give what the film can afford of the city to the visuals/act as periphery for wide shots to suggest we can see more of it in the future?

sorry if you're being sarky and I'm being dumb, btw' by Jobblofski

Cheers for giving me a laugh anyway, Neebs. Beats me why they're using Green Screen chromakey anyway: classic Star Wars Blue rocks the cock. As far as I remember, the first film to use Green as a backdrop for effects shots was Superman, for obvious costume reasons. I'm guessing Green Lantern and Hulk both had to abandon Green Screen to stop their main characters disappearing into the background too.

What does everyone think of Joe Soap's set snaps anyway?

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 291
At Least In Megacity One The Trains Run On Time - 4/1/2012 8:40:54 PM   
sauchieboy

Sorry, double post.

< Message edited by sauchieboy -- 4/1/2012 8:47:44 PM >

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 292
At Least In Megacity One The Trains Run On Time - 4/1/2012 8:43:20 PM   
sauchieboy

quote:

I think the uniform suits the stripped down approach they're taking; I'm not necesarilly a fan of the approach as I like the comics' grander sci-fi styles and concepts but Urban's Dredd at least looks like he fits in the world they've created in the promo pics (as opposed to the behind the scenes images).

I like the idea of going for a Sin City/300 approach to the material as a way around the budget issues though; while sometimes that approach can be wanky (The Spirit) with a competent director steering the ship it could be a good way to keep Dredd pulpy without having use a Pirates of The Caribbean budget. I think it's expected that there will be some CG augmentation to the locations anyway so I don't think they're completely stripping the world down to be pseudo-real. by Marwood

I agree Dredd's threads are entirely in keeping with the fifteen-minutes-into-your-future stylings of the rest of the film, but (for reasons stated in my W-O-R-D Up! post, above) I think that's missing an opportunity to explain something about Dredd, the Justice System and Megacity One through production design.

This point takes me even further into deep fanboy territory, but- at its worst- the decision to depict Megacity One as a decaying, dystopic society on the brink of collapse actually validates the Judge's arguement that it's only their autocratic rule, and the complete subjection of personal freedom to the rule of law, that prevents anarchy. The Megacity One of the comics is a technological Utopia, and it's one of the interesting paradoxes of the Dredd strip that, no matter what misery and degradations John Wagner and Friends visited upon their fictional victims; they suffered in a brightly lit, colourful and high-tech hell.

Dredd, like his world, has a great deal of superficial appeal. Once you've seen what lies beneath that surface, once- like approving visitors from overseas; who marveled at fascist Italy and Germany's new buildings, clean-cut and disciplined youth movements, and apparent economic miracles- you understand their true nature, the thought that you could have been taken in by their illusory glamour becomes terrifying.

I'm not going to read Alex Garland's script in advance of the film, but those of you who have can decide for yourselves whether DNA have swallowed the Judges' self-serving narrative whole or whether any sequels will deal with the questions that Wagner's best work addresses. If they're doing Judge Death next- as Garland has hinted- I wouldn't hold your breath.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 293
RE: At Least In Megacity One The Trains Run On Time - 5/1/2012 10:33:10 AM   
Marwood

Actually that's a good point about the film taking a post-apocalyptic/nearer future approach - it's kind of like a Dredd Begins right? Shows how f-ed up things were hence the Judges were required whereas the Stallone film has a Megacity well established as being rebuilt since the apocalypse and the Judge rule firmly in place.

I know this new one isn't an origin story for Dredd but I hadn't really considered that it was acting as something of an origin story for Megacity 1 itself. In that respect the approach they're taking makes a lot more sense and gives the idea that any future films could go a bit more sci-fi or wild as that world developes if this one is a decent hit and they've got more money to throw at production next time. Hopefully it would be a more gradual thing though, could be a bit jarring if this one is Mad Max and the next one jumps ahead 10 years and it's gone all Fifth Element.

(in reply to sauchieboy)
Post #: 294
RE: At Least In Megacity One The Trains Run On Time - 5/1/2012 11:28:33 AM   
jobloffski

It would be perfectly reasonable story and film wise to have a situation in the first film where the Judges are not yet the authority figures of the comic, have them start to take control of the chaos and then, in future, questions/satire about their power/how they wield it/the oppression of norms via laws designed for taking down perps to enter the equation.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 295
RE: At Least In Megacity One The Trains Run On Time - 5/1/2012 2:56:07 PM   
dreddhead123

I think the new film should be called

JUDGE DREDD: I AM THE LAW

I think that's much better than

DREDD

DREDD is too brief and doesn't sum who he is. Sure, a one word title is easy to remember but that's not a good enough reason to use it.

If you listen to the end of this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkrkTtkwNIg

you'll hear how amazing the phrase "I am the law!" sounds. It's the perfect title for a rebooted Judge Dredd film. I cannot comprehend why DNA didn't use that title. A spectacular missed opportunity.

< Message edited by dreddhead123 -- 5/1/2012 3:03:28 PM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 296
RE: Dredd - 5/1/2012 3:09:27 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

It would be perfectly reasonable story and film wise to have a situation in the first film where the Judges are not yet the authority figures of the comic, have them start to take control of the chaos and then, in future, questions/satire about their power/how they wield it/the oppression of norms via laws designed for taking down perps to enter the equation.

That would be a good way to kick of a potential franchise. The more I think about it the more I see it happening, perhaps it starts off with Dredd not quite the feared bad-ass he becomes, then gains his reputation through his actions during the course of the film.

EDIT: Can dreddhead quit changing the fucking thread title?

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 5/1/2012 3:11:07 PM >

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 297
RE: At Least In Megacity One The Trains Run On Time - 5/1/2012 3:11:04 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: dreddhead123

I think the new film should be called

JUDGE DREDD: I AM THE LAW

I think that's much better than

DREDD

DREDD is too brief and doesn't sum who he is. Sure, a one word title is easy to remember but that's not a good enough reason to use it.

If you listen to the end of this song

http://www.youtube.com/watchJ?v=xkrkTtkwNIg

you'll hear how amazing the phrase "I am the law!" sounds. It's the perfect title for a rebooted Judge Dredd film. I cannot comprehend why DNA didn't use that title. A spectacular missed opportunity.

Come off it now !

Post #: 298
RE: Dredd - 5/1/2012 3:11:40 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

EDIT: Can dreddhead quit changing the fucking thread title?

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 299
RE: At Least In Megacity One The Trains Run On Time - 5/1/2012 3:12:57 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I like the sound of what you guys are saying, sounds like the perfect way to go with the budget restrictions and all that.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> He Is The Law! Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI