Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New Judge Dredd film greenlit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> New Judge Dredd film greenlit Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 20/12/2008 1:29:18 PM   
dreddfan

Judge Dredd is to return to the big screen:

Fromm 2000AD forum:

quote:

“Together with DNA Films, the movie production company behind such great sci-fi movies such as Sunshine and 28 Weeks Later, Judge Dredd will go into production in 2009.

Jason Kingsley, CEO and Creative Director said, ‘We can’t give away too many details at this point, but we’re looking forward to working with DNA Films to bring Judge Dredd back to the big screen.’”

Post #: 1
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 20/12/2008 1:54:39 PM   
ky

Wow, great. Stallone's film was a stinker, a prime example of Hollywood not understanding the material.

Personally, I think a good quality Dredd animation would be the best way, but if it has to be live action, here's what they need to do:

• No annoying sidekick.
  • Dredd's face should not be seen, at all, for any reason.
  • They shouldn't make everything look as shiny and new as it did last time
  • Get an actor who doesn't look and sound like he's doing a Dredd panto, like Stallone did.
  • Tell a proper Dredd story, rather than doing the same old Hollywood bollocks of 'hey, this guy's been busting perps and recognised as the best judge in town, so let's strip him of his job and force him into a contrived bunch of bollocks!'

If they stay true to the material and get a good baddie - maybe the Dark Judges - then it could work.

Still think an animation might be better.

One of Rogue Trooper would be cool, too.

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

(in reply to dreddfan)
Post #: 2
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 20/12/2008 2:00:17 PM   
danbo1138

By far the best film news i've heard in ages,lets just hope they get it right this time.
For starters KEEP THE HELMET ON.
Stay faithfull to the charcter
No silly one liners(i knew you'd say that bollocks)
No stupid sidekick
No Danny Cannon
Apocalyps war would be nice
or Fink angle
oo and Judge Death and the Dark Judges
Make it be at least a 15,ol stoney face is a brutal fukker.
Fat wheels on the Lawmaster
Less of the camp codpiece lycra uniform and more of a tough no noncence biker look
Get a top action savvy director who can do drama pls ....RIDLEY SCOTT will do for me
Judge Anderson
Hire a no-name,don't splurge the budget on a big ego
If rob schnider comes within 100 miles of this flick sentence the bastard to 100 years in the cubes
Flesh Dredd out more,explore his facist side and what that says about some elements of American society,it's supposed to be a satire after all(with lots of asskickin n slosions)
I know its getting old now harping on about Nolans Batman being dark but that style would work the best with Dredd rather than a lightharted campy comic book style..so do it please
Did i say never take the helmet off?

AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL,GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME WILL YA.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to dreddfan)
Post #: 3
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 20/12/2008 5:40:18 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: ky

...but if it has to be live action, here's what they need to do:
  • No annoying sidekick.
  • Dredd's face should not be seen, at all, for any reason.
  • They shouldn't make everything look as shiny and new as it did last time
  • Get an actor who doesn't look and sound like he's doing a Dredd panto.
  • Tell a proper Dredd story, rather than doing the same old Hollywood bollocks of 'hey, this guy's been busting perps and recognised as the best judge in town, so let's strip him of his job and force him into a contrived bunch of bollocks!'

If they stay true to the material and get a good baddie - maybe the Dark Judges - then it could work.

This is pretty much exactly what was said before the Stallone version too... (agree with every word btw)

Let's hope they've learned the lessons of hindsight eh?

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 4
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 21/12/2008 3:11:52 AM   
Little Horus

Wow, holy shit.  Me and my buddies have been talking about how damn awesome a Dredd movie done right would be for a while now, it's great to hear it's been given the go. Essentially agree with what everyone else has said, they really need to stick to the material; there's such a wealth of great storylines that they couldn't really go wrong. 

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 5
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 21/12/2008 1:15:25 PM   
Marwood

I actually liked the Stallone version as a guilty pleasure

However as a fan of Dredd (and 2000AD in general) growing up I agree with the above points about where the Stallone version went really wrong. Personally I'd like this remake/reboot to be a bit lower key and set up the universe and character before going into anything really epic. A Dark Judges story would be cool for a follow up but for the first I'd like to see a Dark Knight style film about the city itself and Dredd having to face a foe that pushes his beliefs. Maybe that could be Rico again.

Then part 2 should have a more apocalyptic threat like the Dark Judges or maybe an adaptation of The Day The Law Died. I'd pay good money just to see Judge Fish.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Little Horus)
Post #: 6
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 21/12/2008 5:33:00 PM   
danbo1138

Thinking about this i would like to see a Robot wars(v.early dredd) done or the cursed earth storyline. the Apocalypse War would be the ultimate imo,but would perhaps be better left untill the Franchise is established. It would be cool if it starts with the Midnight surfer/chopper story,the final race would make a great intro
Ican't think of any actor who could play Stoney face yet though?

< Message edited by danbo1138 -- 20/1/2009 10:58:11 PM >

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 7
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 21/12/2008 6:27:16 PM   
darth silas

I would reckon that they would go the 300 route with this and shoot all of it on green screens to create the world of Mega city one and the cursed earth.It shouldnt have to cost zillions to make if they do it this way(especially if they cast an unknown to play Dredd).

They should save the Dark Judges for a sequel and a truly epic Apocalpse war story to complete a possible trilogy.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 8
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 21/12/2008 8:02:59 PM   
danbo1138

Much as i love Judge Death i can't help feel that he would'nt come across too well on the big screen .
Orloc the assasin needs to be in the film/s some where though.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 9
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 21/12/2008 8:05:38 PM   
danbo1138

and why's there no edit function

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 10
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 21/12/2008 11:30:12 PM   
Little Horus

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

I was thinking possibly Aaron Eckhart. The blond hair wouldn't matter if the helmet's not coming off, and he has the chiseled, ultimate jawline that is a requirement for JD.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 11
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 22/12/2008 8:40:15 AM   
Tosschops

Bruce Campbell all the way.

I believe what doesn't kill you, simply makes you.....Stranger.

Post #: 12
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 22/12/2008 10:03:49 AM   
grucl

What, no "F**k you, Hollywood with your neverending stream of unimaginative remakes/reimagenings!"-rant this time?

(in reply to Tosschops)
Post #: 13
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 22/12/2008 10:29:10 AM   
Marwood

No ranting this time; generally fans of the character are excited by the news of a new film. Besides, the consensus seems to be that it can't be as bad as the first attempt.

Plus the inclusion of DNA Films should give people some optimism seeing as they're closley tied with Danny Boyle and so far no Hollywood businesses have even been mentioned as having a connection with this project. I'd like to see Danny Boyle step up to direct this thing.

Like the Aaron Eckhart suggestion but I'd rather see a darker lead.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 14
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 22/12/2008 11:19:31 AM   
Fanboyslayer

Oh please do it right this time. I would love to see Dredd done well at long last. Such a crime that this hasn't happened yet. Personally I would love to see the dark judges but I agree with what other have said that it might be better to take it down a more Dark Knight route first and concentrate much more on Dredd and the city first. Curse Earth would be great but I'll take anything as long as it's done right this time!

Also a major plus if this does work it that we might get to see more 2000AD movies such as a Rogue Trooper or ABC Warriors maybe. I's like to see a Sinister Dexter one myself

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 15
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 22/12/2008 12:03:10 PM   
danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: Little Horus

quote:

I was thinking possibly Aaron Eckhart. The blond hair wouldn't matter if the helmet's not coming off, and he has the chiseled, ultimate jawline that is a requirement for JD.

Good shout,like you say he's got the chin andthe acting chops.a bit of weight lifting(ala Hugh Jackmans wolvie efforts)and ,yeah he would work ... THEcampain stars here

Post #: 16
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 22/12/2008 12:14:31 PM   
spark1

creating a living, breathing megacity with all the madness of the comics is the key factor, not just who plays dredd.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 17
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 22/12/2008 3:47:42 PM   
Marwood

Very true spark1. Megacity 1 will be tough to conceptualise because whenever someone tries to design futuristic cities in a state of disrepair they usually end up looking like L.A in Bladerunner. As much as I love that film I'd rather the concept artist for JD comes up with something new.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 18
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 22/12/2008 5:21:51 PM   
danbo1138

i would like the concept artist to check out Brian Bolands vision of Mega City 1 in Block War,perfect. the sky high moterways and roads are a must.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 19
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 12:12:07 AM   
HitchHiker

It'd be cool to see another Dredd movie. Although I admit I know next to nothing of the source material (other than the basic premise) and the Stallone one was pretty awful. Anyone here have any recommendations for a good place to start reading in the comics?

If God had wanted us to fly he would have built the airports closer to the cities.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 20
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 1:52:15 AM   
darth silas

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Little Horus

quote:

Good shout,like you say he's got the chin andthe acting chops.a bit of weight lifting(ala Hugh Jackmans wolvie efforts)and ,yeah he would work ... THEcampain stars here
As much as i like Eckhardt as an actor,i really think they need to get a brit to play Dredd.I ay get an unknown and keep his face hidden behind that helmet.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 21
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 8:59:12 AM   
Fanboyslayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: HitchHiker

It'd be cool to see another Dredd movie. Although I admit I know next to nothing of the source material (other than the basic premise) and the Stallone one was pretty awful. Anyone here have any recommendations for a good place to start reading in the comics?

I think the first time I started reading Dredd was around the time of the Necropolis story which sucked me in and I've been a fan ever since. I think you can get Dredd collection books now I think they're titled Case Files. The Cursed Earth probably a good one as well. The John Wagner stuff is always a good bet.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to HitchHiker)
Post #: 22
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 9:14:23 AM   
danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: HitchHiker

Get Apocalyps War.and if you're luck it will have the 9 issue Block War perquel at the start.it's good ol school Dredd at his best,you can't go wrong.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-in-the-complete-Apocalypse-War_W0QQitemZ140289717366QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_Comics_Magazines_Graphic_Novels_ET?hash=item140289717366&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

(in reply to HitchHiker)
Post #: 23
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 11:26:56 AM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

As much as i like Eckhardt as an actor,i really think they need to get a brit to play Dredd.I ay get an unknown and keep his face hidden behind that helmet.

Why a Brit? Dredd is American. Mega City 1 is in America.

Post #: 24
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 1:00:15 PM   
danbo1138

Actors aside i'm glad that the film is in British hands,bodes well i think.My concern is budget,Mega City1 alone will cost loads to look right,i don't want a film filmed in factorys or abandonded industrial estates(robocop).The look is VERY important IMO,no fashion designer this time please.Let the inspiration for Dredds look come from the comics* not some sweetydarling fashionista.

*Steve Dillion and Brian Bolland both nailed Dredds look and the Lawmaster.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 25
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 1:03:52 PM   
KeithM

Oh Darth, oh Darth.  How could you not know this?  We're going to have to ask for your Official Member of Geekdom badge and lightsabre back I'm afraid...  

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 26
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 1:58:16 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: KeithM

Oh Darth, oh Darth.  How could you not know this?  We're going to have to ask for your Official Member of Geekdom badge and lightsabre back I'm afraid...  
Dredd may be american but the character is from a british comic and has a very british sensibility.Judging from the Stallone version,the yanks just dont GET Dredd.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 27
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 2:40:08 PM   
The Hooded Man

The actor should not be a big star otherwise he'll take the helmet. It needs a storng budget otherwise it will look like an episode of Babylon 5.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 28
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 4:17:22 PM   
danbo1138

quote:

quote:

Dredd may be american but the character is from a british comic and has a very british sensibility.Judging from the Stallone version,the yanks just dont GET Dredd.

Too right they don't get him,you ever read the American comic that came out?i got the first few editions and they were shit,generic shit.

Post #: 29
RE: New Judge Dredd film greenlit - 23/12/2008 4:24:37 PM   
Marwood

quote:

quote:

Ah, you mean the satirical view of American society told in the comic stories, I understand where you're coming from now.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> New Judge Dredd film greenlit Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI