Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Traditions

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Traditions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 18/12/2008 7:19:00 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

annual (which ranged from Bunty to Jackie for me and Beano to 2000AD for my brother)

That's a range?

And it would appear your brother was the lucky one on the Annuals front!

As for the US tradition of milk & cookies I can only assume, what with the time difference, that that suits Santa just fine. After all, with all the alcohol consumed in the UK he'll need the milk to settle his stomach and the cookies to soak up the alcohol!

We left out the traditional sherry and mince pie. My children leave port and a mince pie - I don't like sherry...

Always leave a bit of mince pie for them to see that he's eaten it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 31
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 10/12/2012 6:33:57 PM   
homersimpson_esq

In searching for my other thread about non-Internet stuff, I found this one and thought I'd give it a bump, see what the 2012 Empire lot can add to the thread.

Re-reading the first page... Nice to see everyone got in the spirit, there...

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 32
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 10/12/2012 7:29:15 PM   
sanchia

The one image which always comes to mind when I think of Christmas: I was young as we had our first family dog who died when I was 14 and he was still quite young himself. My dad has him on his lap and they are sitting on the sofa. In the corner of the room is a real Christmas tree which is covered in this fibreglass web type stuff you used to be able to get before it was realised it cut people up (it looked nice with the fairy lights on). My nan is sitting on the chair in front of the tree and Fiddler On The Roof is on the television.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 33
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 10/12/2012 8:00:45 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Reading back my long post on page one, blimey I was in a very different place back then. That was my last Christmas Eve living with my children.

Christmas tradition is rather different these days. Singing the major services again - all those memories of the services I talked about are once more an actuality, so that's lovely. Christmas Eve is bittersweet: I don't see my children until Christmas Day afternoon and it is the single hardest part of the year. The whole Christmas Eve experience is the one I miss. Hugely. Work has always kept me busy on Christmas Eve since I left their mother, but this year I'm at a kind of loose end, apart from the services themselves. Not quite sure how I'll be. These days we have CHRISTMAS TWO: CHRISTMAS HARDER. Whereby we celebrate Christmas a second time at my flat. The children luck out cos they get two Christmases. In a deeply ironic way, their situation has become not unlike my own: I had two Christmases; they do too now.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 34
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 10/12/2012 8:32:56 PM   
DancingClown

Christmas this year will be a strange affair for me. But mainly for my mum as it'll be her first Christmas without my dad and when I spoke to her recently she said the house was "a bit like a mausoleum". And then the other week her maternal uncle died and she and her sister were his only surviving family so they're now having to deal with all the arrangements for that, inlcuding his estate and everything else, and he lived miles away in Lincolnshire so she's having to commute and so on. What a year.

Luckily we're spending Christmas Day with my sister and her fella in Herne Bay, and of course my mum will be there, so we'll all be together. Most importantly there'll be three crazy, lovable little rogues all under the age of five who will be keeping us all on our toes and happily distracted when things get a little sombre.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 35
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 10/12/2012 8:53:59 PM   
matty_b

Much like DC, this will be a bittersweet Christmas for me. It was going to be different anyway, the first since my marriage broke up, but as it's been pretty amicable with my wife, I don't think it would have been particularly difficult on anyone - just a bit of to'ing and fro'ing between the two houses.

But then obviously my brother-in-law passing away changed it all. I think it'll be a case of the adults putting a brave face on it, and making it as normal as possible for the two boys. Jr is only five, so thankfully he won't really appreciate how tough it is for everyone else. I suppose it's a weird situation anyway, being asked to my in-laws for Christmas after our marriage collapsed, but I'd have no other options. My folks bugger off up to Scotland to stay with my sister for the week, which isn't something I could, or want to do, with work making it impossible to get away for that length of time and obviously I don't want to be away from the kids for that period either.

But hopefully it won't be too sombre a day. My best friend lives round the corner and he and his wife just had their first child last month, so I'll go round there on the evening and spend some time with them.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 36
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 10/12/2012 10:53:36 PM   
horribleives

I enjoy christmas now I've got nieces and a fortnight off work is always nice but the whole period's always tinged with a huge amount of sadness for me so I try and avoid thinking about years gone by.
On the other hand, women wearing santa hats or reindeer antlers fucking rock.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 37
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 13/12/2012 2:15:54 PM   
Harley Quinn

Traditions in our family. Everyone is allowed to open one present from under the tree on Christmas Eve but it has to picked for you.

Santa is left a Baileys (I don't like milk).

Christmas Morning Little HQ when he was home would open his stocking in bed with me and then we'd have cuddles until the rest of the family were up.

You have to dress up for dinner, the girls have to do their hair and make-up. etc. The boys have to be smart no tracksuits, trainers etc.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 38
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 13/12/2012 3:13:05 PM   
Shifty Bench

I initially thought this year won't be the same for me either but thinking about it, it hasn't been for the past few years. Two years ago, I was ill and couldn't make Christmas dinner, last year my sisters invited their boyfriends and this year it is just me and my mum. Still looking forward to it, though.I love Christmas and I'll see my sister (though not my foster sister) later in the evening

As for memories, I have many nice ones and a few not so nice ones but the happiest ones are the ones where I went downstairs before my sister did. She's come to see if I was awake and got me to go down to see if Santa had been. I'd go down, set my camera up then go back up to get her. I'd then film her reaction to seeing how many presents she had and her opening them. When we no longer pretended about Santa, she'd still get me to go down to set the camera up. Even when I didn't stay there, she waited till I came up to the house before she even went downstairs. Thinking about that makes me all happy inside

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 39
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 13/12/2012 3:26:54 PM   
jonson

Last year was the first year my teenage daughters didn't leave a mince pie and a glass of Rum for Santa.
I suddenly realised at about 11pm, so went upstairs and said "Girls, I think you've forgotten something". After about 5 minutes of pondering, they both clicked what I was on about, and subsequently (with a raise of the eyebrows as if to say "get a grip Dad") they both came back downstairs to do the traditional thing.
I'd be lieing if I didn't say it kind of upset me, not that they had forgotten, but the fact that they knew damn well CHRISTMAS SPOILER ALERT Santa was a load of bollocks, and even if he wasn't, the chances he was a nonce was quite high.

As for Christmas Day, it's usually church in the morning, presents and booze at dinner, followed by a bracing walk in the afternoon. We'll wander down the local pub at night for a Christmas Quiz and far too much to drink.
I'm kind of looking forward to it this year. Last year I'd just lost my Mum so I was a right miserable cunt over Christmas, but I've vowed to make ammends to my long suffering family, and try and be happy.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 40
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 13/12/2012 3:58:43 PM   
homersimpson_esq

'preciate the spoiler warning there, Chief.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 41
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 13/12/2012 4:00:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

Do many three year olds read the Empire forums?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 42
RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Tradi... - 13/12/2012 4:23:44 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I'd be lieing if I didn't say it kind of upset me, not that they had forgotten, but the fact that they knew damn well CHRISTMAS SPOILER ALERT Santa was a load of bollocks, and even if he wasn't, the chances he was a nonce was quite high.

But...but...if he's not real, where do the presents come from?

Anyway, we have a couple of traditions. Christmas Eve used to be spent at my godmothers, but we've moved too far away since. We still do what we used to do afterwards, which is to watch Mickey's Christmas Carol and The Snowman, read The Night Before Christmas (with me and my siblings alternating each year) and leaving out the required milk and mince pie for Santa.
For Christmas proper everyone goes to our parents' room at 7am with our stockings, and we open those presents. We're then allowed to go downstairs and look at the stuff under the tree, but nothing gets opened until after breakfast. Once presents do start opening, we go one at a time in age order, and we all have our own space to put our presents in (mine is just in front of the rocking chair). After a few have been opened, the parents get on with making the dinner and me and the rest of the siblings muck around with our presents. After dinner, the afternoon is spent relaxing, and maybe watching a Christmas film.

Even though me and most of my siblings are mid-teens and up, we still do all this every Christmas. It's more fun that way.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Christmas Memories, Reminiscences, and Family Traditions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI