Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Wee Free Men Headed For Screen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Wee Free Men Headed For Screen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wee Free Men Headed For Screen - 10/1/2006 9:28:56 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Wee Free Men Headed For Screen - 10/1/2006 10:44:09 AM   
Beckymonster

On first glance, this might not seem like a good match.  In reality..  I think it's going to work bloody gangbusters! 

It's about time that one of Pratchett's books made the big screen.  Admittedly, I'd have preferred one of the 'Discworld' stories first but with Raimi behind the helm.  This will be grand. 

One question - how the frell are they going to fit in the obligatory cameos by both Bruce Campbell and that car?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Wee Free Men Headed For Screen - 10/1/2006 10:57:14 AM   
Helen OHara

Maybe Bruce can play one of the Nac MacFeegle? I'm sure he can do a Scottish brogue.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Beckymonster)
Post #: 3
RE: Wee Free Men Headed For Screen - 10/1/2006 11:00:05 AM   
Mozza

Nah, everyone knows Bruce will be the evil witch.  Or the heroine.

Sam will find a way, he always does.

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 4
RE: Wee Free Men Headed For Screen - 10/1/2006 11:01:28 AM   
Helen OHara

Bruce Campbell as a nine year old proto-witch? You could be on to something...

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 5
Woohoo - 10/1/2006 12:56:11 PM   
madnina60

I loved this book it was so funny but then I could say that about all Pratchetts books. Wonder if they'll make A Hat Full of Sky

Post #: 6
At last... - 10/1/2006 1:01:52 PM   
kidcreole

So someone finally has the bottle to do Pratchett justice on the big screen... 3 words for the movie execs: MORE PRATCHETT FILMS

Post #: 7
Yay!!!! - 10/1/2006 2:58:56 PM   
Jamzv

Great choice to start with, the discworld series proper is so unweildy to adapt - and where would you start? Not at the beginning - Light Fantastic & Colour of Magic just ain't good enough. The Tiffany stories are beautifully written and contained, plus you would get to see discworld regulars on screen for the first time. Sooo, who to play Granny Weatherwax?!? My choice would be Maggie Smith. Hoorah.

Post #: 8
RE: Yay!!!! - 10/1/2006 3:36:24 PM   
Deadly_Little_Miho

God, I hope this works. I'd heard Pratchett mention in an interview that Amazing Maurice was gaing to become an animated film. I guess that fell apart eh?

Still if this does well, a sequels almost assured what with a second book already out there, and then we may finally see a film based on the Discworld-proper.

PS. I don;t really see Maggue smith as Granny Weatherwax, I'm not sure who though.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, but hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish... And his wife!"

(in reply to Jamzv)
Post #: 9
Crivens! - 10/1/2006 4:50:30 PM   
tcamskywalker

I'm not a hardcore Terry Pratchett-fan, but The Wee Free Men is one of the books that really made me laugh out loud! Great news, great director...this could be fun on the scale of Monty Python (but then different...)

Post #: 10
- 10/1/2006 5:24:09 PM   
shelliob

Great book & Great director = Great film? Fingers crossed! This is probably the most translatable Discworld novel so far. To hell with Mort and all its pre-production problems.

Post #: 11
Yay!!!! - 10/1/2006 6:17:53 PM   
Jamzv

Great choice to start with, the discworld series proper is so unweildy to adapt - and where would you start? Not at the beginning - Light Fantastic & Colour of Magic just ain't good enough. The Tiffany stories are beautifully written and contained, plus you would get to see discworld regulars on screen for the first time. Sooo, who to play Granny Weatherwax?!? My choice would be Maggie Smith. Hoorah.

Post #: 12
Bring ...it....on! - 11/1/2006 4:44:25 AM   
Boorerville

Would a journey to Death's peaceful little farm stead be out of the question?

Post #: 13
RE: Bring ...it....on! - 11/1/2006 5:35:26 PM   
Dozy McGrew

quote:

ORIGINAL: boorerville

Would a journey to Death's peaceful little farm stead be out of the question?

Pratchett reads like a film, deliberately so on occasion therefore I don't think any Discworld book would be impossible to produce. Reaper Man would prod some serious buttock though. It is after all the bestest.

We're in the stickiest situation since sticky the stick-insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

(in reply to Boorerville)
Post #: 14
RE: Bring ...it....on! - 11/1/2006 8:37:44 PM   
Pennylane

I can understand the aiming at the younger market with this......get them into the discworld environment young and possibly pave the way for the more established books to be adapted to the big screen, Because lets face it, out and out fantasy set in another world only pulls in the punters if it's established and has enough money behind it. (cynical moi?)Lord of the Rings obviously a case in point.
I would rather it be an animation myself.  Does any one remember the  Truckers series on afternoon kids TV? Live action is just not something I imagine when I read a Terry Pratchett book. This will be interesting to see develop though.

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 15
Hog Heaven! - 11/1/2006 9:01:31 PM   
gloriwulf

Bruce Campbell as Rob Anybody! Please Sam, make it happen...:)

Post #: 16
RE: Bring ...it....on! - 11/1/2006 9:06:55 PM   
Dozy McGrew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pennylane

I can understand the aiming at the younger market with this......get them into the discworld environment young and possibly pave the way for the more established books to be adapted to the big screen, Because lets face it, out and out fantasy set in another world only pulls in the punters if it's established and has enough money behind it. (cynical moi?)Lord of the Rings obviously a case in point.
I would rather it be an animation myself.  Does any one remember the  Truckers series on afternoon kids TV? Live action is just not something I imagine when I read a Terry Pratchett book. This will be interesting to see develop though.

I think Discworld is established enough. After all for a good decade before the appearance of Mr Potter Terry was the biggest selling author in the country.

We're in the stickiest situation since sticky the stick-insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

(in reply to Pennylane)
Post #: 17
Best News Ever!!!! - 13/1/2006 11:38:32 AM   
Ste M H

I've bee a pratchet fan since the beginning, and love all his books. But the kids ones are by far his best work. With Wee Free Men there's also already sequal material there with Hat Full Of Sky. Could mean an end to the spidey-raimi releationship, but if it means we get this countries greatest living author on the screen, and with a decent helmsman, then well worth it. Can't wait!

Post #: 18
RE: Bring ...it....on! - 15/1/2006 8:35:11 PM   
Baby Bear

Reaper Man or Mort. I recommend these to any of my friends who are Pratchett virgins,They both seem to ease you into the discworld series.

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 19
RE: Bring ...it....on! - 15/1/2006 8:36:29 PM   
Baby Bear

Just had a thought,thanks to Empire for the Discworld DVDs that I won.

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Wee Free Men Headed For Screen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI