Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Golden Globes Nominations Announced!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Golden Globes Nominations Announced! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Golden Globes Nominations Announced! - 11/12/2008 2:45:57 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Dark Day for Dark Knight - 11/12/2008 2:45:57 PM   
Quishy

No Nolan? No fair. Best Picture and Director noms should've been included. You suck Hollywood foreign thingamajig

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 11/12/2008 2:50:39 PM   
britesparc

Roughly as I suspected the noms would go, although I must admit I thought the Dark Knight would get more nods. Maybe it's wishful thinking. Still, it's a very, very open race this year and therefore pretty exciting.

Post #: 3
SNORRRRRRRRRRRRRE! - 11/12/2008 2:51:37 PM   
Hughezy

why's it always the same fucking films that get nominated for everything?!

Post #: 4
RE: SNORRRRRRRRRRRRRE! - 11/12/2008 2:59:48 PM   
Scabby

I was surprised that the Dark Knight wasn't at least nominated for best screenplay or music but hey ho. Kind of feels like people have to nominate Ledger now and not because they want to. Most surprising though was the inclusion of Tom Cruise in best supporting actor for Tropic Thunder. Also I think it's a bit odd that all these films can be nominated when most of them aren't even released yet?

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to Hughezy)
Post #: 5
Gar! - 11/12/2008 3:02:49 PM   
kingkongkeepin

Nominations for best drama are a load of poo, I haven't actually seen any of them, and Benjamin Button is the only one I really have an interest in seeing. Seen the trailers though, looked very boring. Why did they 'wussy' out on nominating The dark Knight. Blumming... Im not pleased.

Post #: 6
RE: SNORRRRRRRRRRRRRE! - 11/12/2008 3:04:10 PM   
kingkongkeepin

Why wouldn't you nominate Ledger? xx

Be good joes!

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 7
Gar! - 11/12/2008 3:05:16 PM   
kingkongkeepin

Nominations for best drama are a load of poo, I haven't actually seen any of them, and Benjamin Button is the only one I really have an interest in seeing. Seen the trailers though, looked very boring. Why did they 'wussy' out on nominating The dark Knight. Blumming... Im not pleased.

Post #: 8
Nominations - 11/12/2008 3:15:31 PM   
Calsterman

Well I am glad to see Ledger nominated, people seem to think that they would only nominate him because of his death but I have yet to see a better performance this year. Pity the Dark Knight didn't get more nominations.

Post #: 9
RE: SNORRRRRRRRRRRRRE! - 11/12/2008 3:17:43 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scabby

Also I think it's a bit odd that all these films can be nominated when most of them aren't even released yet?

They must be out in the States now to be nominated or coming out I assumne before voting closes for the winner.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 10
RE: SNORRRRRRRRRRRRRE! - 11/12/2008 3:20:03 PM   
Scabby

Although I do think Ledger should be nominated, judging by the rest of the list it seems like they felt like he had to be nominated.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 11
- 11/12/2008 3:24:23 PM   
Galli

it's really kind of hard to make one's own opinion about these nominations since we haven't seen many of the nominated films.
while "the curious case of benjamin button" is a movie I'm really looking forward to, I'm also quite pleased with the nominations of Ledger (should get it), Downey Jr. (always perfect), Franco (hillarious in Pineapple) and the fact that "In Bruges" is getting mantioned, regarding the fact that it was kind of under the radar in public. At last, I feel a bit sorry about "How I met your mother" not getting mantioned at all.
So the only question to pose is concerning "Wall-E": Will the academy act the same way, putting Wall E nominating Wall E for best animated feature or will it nominate Wall E for "Best Movie"? I'm really curious about that...

Post #: 12
where is the love for the Knight? - 11/12/2008 3:30:35 PM   
chewyzombie

I'm sorry hollywood, where you asleep this summer and did not hear of one of the best films in recent years? why is there only 1 nom for The Dark Knight ( admittedly the right nomination ) when there was so much else on offer? Best Director = Chris Nolan, Best Actor = Christian Bale, Best Score = Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard... the list goes on!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 13
They remembered In Bruges! - 11/12/2008 3:38:08 PM   
anascreen29

That's great, considering that it kinda came and went without many people noticing... I'm actually curious about almost all of the filmes, especially Benjamin Button. And I agree with everyone saying that it feels like they thought Ledger had to be nominated just to show respect or something... And I did think The Dark Knight was going to get more nods.

Post #: 14
- 11/12/2008 3:40:44 PM   
Drew_231

does anybody actually care about the Golden Globes?

They dont really mean anything next to the Oscars

Post #: 15
- 11/12/2008 3:45:58 PM   
Drew_231

does anybody actually care about the Golden Globes?

They dont really mean anything next to the Oscars

Post #: 16
- 11/12/2008 4:13:01 PM   
shawshank prisoner

Tom Cruise? It was a cameo!

Post #: 17
RE: - 11/12/2008 4:20:07 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: shawshank prisoner

Tom Cruise? It was a cameo!

Didn't Judi Dench get an oscar for 12 minutes screen time?

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 18
RE: - 11/12/2008 4:28:26 PM   
Scabby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galli

it's really kind of hard to make one's own opinion about these nominations since we haven't seen many of the nominated films.
while "the curious case of benjamin button" is a movie I'm really looking forward to, I'm also quite pleased with the nominations of Ledger (should get it), Downey Jr. (always perfect), Franco (hillarious in Pineapple) and the fact that "In Bruges" is getting mantioned, regarding the fact that it was kind of under the radar in public. At last, I feel a bit sorry about "How I met your mother" not getting mantioned at all.
So the only question to pose is concerning "Wall-E": Will the academy act the same way, putting Wall E nominating Wall E for best animated feature or will it nominate Wall E for "Best Movie"? I'm really curious about that...

I disagree with what you mantioned; Wall:e should be in the animated catagory because that is exactly what it is regardless and even if it was put in the normal film category it wouldn't win so it might as well be in animation where it is clearly going to steal it!

(in reply to Galli)
Post #: 19
Heath vs Downey jr - 11/12/2008 4:33:02 PM   
Hughezy

i don't want Ledger winning just because he's dead. Downey Jr did a better performance. that's the bottom line really. i mean, he was playing a character PLAYING a character.

Post #: 20
Don't cry, Chewyzombie ... - 11/12/2008 4:43:29 PM   
Nicky C

I'm sure most of the filmmakers on this list would rather take a billion at the box office than sit around at an awards ceremony waiting for someone else to take the little statue home. The vote that the people make with their wallets is the only one that really counts...

Post #: 21
- 11/12/2008 5:05:11 PM   
Rickie.Littlewood

I'm a bit confused as to why Dark Knight only gets one mention, clearly the people who make the decisions as to who or what becomes the nominees can't take the blinkers off as to what constitutes an awards worthy performance.

Post #: 22
Arbitary gits! - 11/12/2008 5:37:35 PM   
exandakane

Why delude yourself that the Dark Knight has the pretensions worthy of far better, if marginalised films? It doesn't need to win (or be nominated) for every award under the sun to prove itself a thoughtful summer film - give yourselves a break. In the same way, Heath Ledger doesn't need to be handed a Golden Globe (for a part so over-the-top that, realistically, many actors could play just as well) to validate his great performance.

Post #: 23
The Globes... - 11/12/2008 5:58:32 PM   
Dibder Booth

Thank you, Hollywood Press Association; you've turned Miley Cyrus into a Golden Globe nominee! And what with the awards show being more of a glamour-hog than an actual awards show, some "surprise" nominees are most likely informed by celebrity culture than actual merit (i.e. Tom Cruise's nomination). Still, nice to see more than a few Brits getting noms, including a double for Winslet and Working Title, not to mention more for Daldry, Mendes, David Hare, Sally Hawkins... don't think any of them will win though!

Post #: 24
RE: The Globes... - 11/12/2008 6:57:13 PM   
adambatman82

theres some nice surprises in there, namely in bruges' success! it was a great film, one of my favourite british ones for a long time. i think that the lack of wall-e is much more disturbing than the lack of noms for the dark knight, as much as i enjoyed both wall-e felt like the most genuinely revolutionary blockbuster of the year.

(in reply to Dibder Booth)
Post #: 25
RE: The Globes... - 11/12/2008 7:02:04 PM   
mafyou

Bruges! Wall-E! I loved both those films. The rest...well, they're not out are they? Not long now. Best cinema going time of the year with all the big Oscar nominated films coming out. Can't wait.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 26
Generation Kill got screwed over - 11/12/2008 7:17:58 PM   
JohnClark

It's astounding how the Emmys and the Golden Globes refuse to reward two of the greatest writers that have ever worked in Television. The Wire was probably the greatest TV show I've ever seen it completely redefined the cop drama and what you can do with a 1 hour program. Generation Kill was also an exceptional piece of story telling. It was brilliantly written book and mini series that took a completely unbiased view of the events and the people involved and should be rewarded as top class film making.

Post #: 27
RE: Generation Kill got screwed over - 11/12/2008 7:46:24 PM   
Circe

I'm a tad disappointed that Downey didn't get a nod for Iron Man as well. He was terrific in that film. 

My signature is clever and witty

(in reply to JohnClark)
Post #: 28
RE: Generation Kill got screwed over - 11/12/2008 8:28:45 PM   
hatebox

I didn't expect TDK to get a best picture nod (and it probably won't at the Oscars), but the lack of appreciation towards Nolan as a director is getting a bit ridiculous after all these years.

PS: Ledger WAS that good, to say he was 'over the top'  is completely disingeniuous because A) he's the Joker, and B) there were actually many scenes in which he displayed an unnerving calm. Anyway, his role will continue to be recognized for many years to come so I suggest you just get used to it.

(in reply to Circe)
Post #: 29
RE: Generation Kill got screwed over - 11/12/2008 8:45:40 PM   
Dave B

Why are people getting so bent out of shape about The Dark Knight not being nominated when, as mentioned, none of the nominations for best drama have been released in the UK so its likely very few of you have seen any of them anyway? It's likely that those 5 films are better than The Dark Knight, in fact I've already seen way more than 5 films this year that I would rate far above that film. Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Slumdog Millionaire, Milk and The Wrestler all look very promising as well, so it might be a great set of nominations for all we know.

However its slight annoying to see The Orphanage, Son of Rambow and Hunger miss out on any nominations. Michael Fassbender for best actor, Son of Rambow for best Picture (Comedy/Musical) and Belen Rueda for best actress would have been nice.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Golden Globes Nominations Announced! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI