Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Life on Mars - Ashes to Ashes

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Life on Mars - Ashes to Ashes Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Life on Mars - Ashes to Ashes - 9/1/2006 10:37:27 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Anybody catch this tonight on the Beeb?

Thought it was pretty good myself. I had been put off by the premise of the detective travelling back in time, but my worries were allayed when I realised he was in a coma and imagining it (or is he?).

John Simm was good, as was Philip Glenister, and the mystery of the week was done well.

Good music too!

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 3/2/2008 12:11:18 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Life on Mars - 9/1/2006 10:54:58 PM   
jenzie

this was very good indeed, and if they can build on that, the BBC have a cracker  on their hands

ALIENS: yes, i still have the damn hat on ..... WANNA TAKE IT OFF ME????
HUMANS: well, yes .....
ALIENS: ACTIVATE THE STUPID HUMAN RAY!!!!!

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/jenzie

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 2
RE: Life on Mars - 9/1/2006 11:13:34 PM   
elab49

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Well written, funny with perfect performances from the leads. PC Terminal

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jenzie)
Post #: 3
RE: Life on Mars - 9/1/2006 11:28:18 PM   
Sundance

I didn't think it would be any good, sounded a bit mad when I first read about it, but I really liked it. John Simm is very underrated and was great as usual, and the script was excellent. I didn't expect the case of who murdered the girls to be solved in the first episode, now wondering why he's still in the seventies which is a nice bit of mystery.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Life on Mars - 10/1/2006 9:26:00 AM   
jediwarrior

Yes it was alright.

I like the bit where the kids are looking at his car and he says 'If this car get touch I come in your houses and stamp on all your toys"

I was reading in a mag that if it's a success they hope to do another couple of series

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 5
RE: Life on Mars - 10/1/2006 10:32:39 AM   
Monkeyshaver

Very good. I thought it would just be a parody of seventies cops shows but it was a well scripted interesting show. Be interesting to see what other crimes he solves & if they too will have any bearing on the future, as I thought the main crime would not be solved in the 1st episode.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 6
RE: Life on Mars - 10/1/2006 10:56:07 AM   
elab49

I assumed they'd have to solve it quickly - otherwise it would have been artificially drawn out, particularly as the female cop effectively gave most of the solution in the first 5 mins. And not to do so would have made it like a drawn out Quantum Leap - solve and move on. Which would have been a little too obvious.

Which it hasn't been thus far - one of the things I liked

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 7
RE: Life on Mars - 10/1/2006 11:51:46 AM   
Cat5

It did seem to be a confused idea from the ads but the first episode proved to be an interesting idea worked out well. Guess the links to the future that he comes across will be a way for him to get back, in order for him to solve the murders in 2006. Is his girlfriend really safe and there at his bedside? Did seem a bit Quantum Leap like in structure but that's not a bad thing. Looking forward to the next one and seeing how Sam's story develops.

Frasier: So you're seeing a man?
Daphne: Only when I close my eyes and concentrate.

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Life on Mars - 10/1/2006 11:54:23 AM   
Twizzle

I enjoyed it very much.  It's nice to have a show that's so different in format and with a definite twist to it.

(in reply to Cat5)
Post #: 9
RE: Life on Mars - 10/1/2006 12:25:07 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cat5

Is his girlfriend really safe and there at his bedside? Did seem a bit Quantum Leap like in structure but that's not a bad thing. Looking forward to the next one and seeing how Sam's story develops.

SPOILERS

I don't think you can take that from this as the person who said that was the WPCs boyfriend, playing a trick - remember?

Question is - did destroying the paper keep the killer in jail so he wasn't out in time to kidnap the girlfriend? And if he was in jail, the accident wouldn't have happened.

I wouldn't agree that there IS an analogy to QL in structure - nothing happened when the case was 'solved'.

quote:

(in reply to Cat5)
Post #: 10
RE: Life on Mars - 10/1/2006 5:01:53 PM   
Bruce Wayne

Yeah I really enjoyed this, didn't think I would, My dad thought it was utter trash. I thought it was intelligent and very different and made the viewer think. The comic moments made me laugh as well, and the banter between Sam and Gene was hilarious, thanks to some great acting from John Simms and the ever excellent Phillip Glenister. Going to be interesting to see where it goes.

Let's hug it out bitch

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Life on Mars - 10/1/2006 8:30:45 PM   
Mr E

I thought it was a good show, it was surreal, gritty and funny all in one. Has comparisons with quantum leap and back to the future.

(in reply to Bruce Wayne)
Post #: 12
RE: Life on Mars - 10/1/2006 11:38:12 PM   
TobiasFunke

I really enjoyed this, thought the performances were great, especially Philip Glenister ("Ahm 'aving 'oops") and I found the storyline compelling. That little ginger kid gave me the creeps for some reason! Anyway I'm more intrigued by one episode of this than I was by the first two months of Lost, so I'll definetly be tuning back in next week. Any theories on how Sam ended up in 1973?

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 13
RE: Life on Mars - 11/1/2006 9:35:48 AM   
TUCK PENDLETON

Watched this last night and thought it was very interesting and enjoyable.  Sure, some of the jokes about mobiles and Diet Coke were predictable (remember Marty asking for a Pepsi Free?), but it was well acted and it certainly kept you doubtful as to whether he was really there or not.

Not sure how its going to play out over 8 episodes, but I'll certainly be tuning in next week.

Play with it pal, but dont talk to it

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 14
RE: Life on Mars - 12/1/2006 4:07:07 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I saw this earlier and thought it was very entertaining. Good mix of cop show and something a bit more mysterious. I loved the PC terminal gag.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to TUCK PENDLETON)
Post #: 15
RE: Life on Mars - 12/1/2006 11:31:17 AM   
the_edge99uk

Anyone know the piece of music used in the trailer, not Led Zeppelin - The Immigration Song. The one that starts will the guitar riff?

What the fucks the internet?

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 16
RE: Life on Mars - 12/1/2006 11:34:32 AM   
Sarxos

"I want my mobile."
"Your mobile what?"

We've known each other for a long time. I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus. I'm going after a find of incredible historical significance, you're talking about the boogie man. Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am.

(in reply to the_edge99uk)
Post #: 17
RE: Life on Mars - 13/1/2006 3:56:02 PM   
the_edge99uk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarxos

"I want my mobile."
"Your mobile what?"

"Where's my Jeep, I was driving a Jeep"
"You were driving a military vehicle?"

What the fucks the internet?

(in reply to Sarxos)
Post #: 18
RE: Life on Mars - 14/1/2006 6:34:09 PM   
rooney

was the DWPC boyfriend playin a trick?? was it real?? was his mind playin a trick to keep him there?? vey good dug it out last night as i had taped it an forgot thort it was great and cant wait for monday for the next. its a strange one but very different from shite on telly lately such as fuckin superstar soap star of what ever its called. another thing if in 1973 he got 30-25 years for murder. good behaviour he could have been out in time to commit again maybe if he was in secure hospital he may have been certified crazy and never released? maybe by throwing away that paper he caused the kidnapps in the 21st century??

Col tempo la foglia di gelso diventa seta: old Italian saying meaning, "Time and patience change the mulberry leaf to satin."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: Life on Mars - 14/1/2006 11:24:55 PM   
The Mighty

I missed the first episode, but I've already downloaded it and might check it out!

(in reply to rooney)
Post #: 20
RE: Life on Mars - 16/1/2006 10:38:01 PM   
Bruce Wayne

another great episode loved every minute particulary when Gene Hunt gave that Trent guy a beating, top notch stuff, Glenister was blinding as Hunt

Let's hug it out bitch

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 21
RE: Life on Mars - 16/1/2006 10:42:14 PM   
Sundance

Loved the fight between Sam and Gene, that was hilarious. And the girl with the clown doll was creepy... Great episode.

Post #: 22
RE: Life on Mars - 16/1/2006 10:45:28 PM   
Bruce Wayne

yeah that fight was top notch, I love the arguments and conflict between Sam and Gene Priceless stuff.

Let's hug it out bitch

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 23
RE: Life on Mars - 16/1/2006 10:50:12 PM   
Jim

The funniest bit tonight was when some kids came up to the ice cream truck they were staking out in and asked for ice cream, and got flipped off by Gene for their troubles 

Was another good episode tonight, I'll definitely keep watching.

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 24
RE: Life on Mars - 16/1/2006 10:53:58 PM   
My Life in Pictures

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim

The funniest bit tonight was when some kids came up to the ice cream truck they were staking out in and asked for ice cream, and got flipped off by Gene for their troubles 

Was another good episode tonight, I'll definitely keep watching.

Yeh that was hilarious. Great show, tons of potential.

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 25
RE: Life on Mars - 16/1/2006 10:56:53 PM   
JV

I was really surprised by this. I missed last week's and caught this one by chance. Thought it was well done and funny, and it doesn't half make you realise how much modern technology we rely on these days.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to My Life in Pictures)
Post #: 26
RE: Life on Mars - 17/1/2006 11:11:55 AM   
Cat5

Good story last night, and nice development of the link to his unconscious self in 2006...
And another great song throughout last night - Live and Let Die!

Frasier: So you're seeing a man?
Daphne: Only when I close my eyes and concentrate.

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 27
RE: Life on Mars - 17/1/2006 4:54:49 PM   
Bruce Wayne

yeah the music within the show is top notch.

Let's hug it out bitch

(in reply to Cat5)
Post #: 28
RE: Life on Mars - 17/1/2006 4:58:40 PM   
Sarxos

I enjoyed that agin last night. Was kinda concerned when it started with them all running half-naked though.

We've known each other for a long time. I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus pocus. I'm going after a find of incredible historical significance, you're talking about the boogie man. Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am.

Post #: 29
RE: Life on Mars - 17/1/2006 5:04:45 PM   
The Mighty

Another good episode, but I hope next weeks deals more with why he is there, rather then the case he is solving.

(in reply to Sarxos)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Life on Mars - Ashes to Ashes Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI