Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Let The Right One In

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Let The Right One In Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Let The Right One In - 10/12/2008 9:17:34 AM   
losthighway

***MILD SPOILERS***

Hired it from my local library in anticipation for the upcoming film next year and I finished reading it yesterday. Although the cover says the author has reinvented the vampire novel, he hasn't really - it's very similar to Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire in character/tone at times, although does has some shockingly brutal violence and gore including an attempted rape.

Despite all that though, it's an excellent book and I highly recommend it.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.
Post #: 1
RE: Let The Right One In - 10/12/2008 2:04:35 PM   
Woger

Yeah, very good book. Not so much a re-invention like you say but the best vampire story in a long time, that shows what vampirism would be like if it was real. The only bad thing is there are a few passages that seem to suffer a bit in the translation.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 2
RE: Let The Right One In - 11/12/2008 2:29:36 PM   
elab49

I found the idea interesting but the writing atrocious - so much so it was a drag getting through the book. Obviously I don't know if that is the fault of the translator or the original author, but Anne Rice is high literature compared to this.

Also - bits of it reminded me of rehashed Kings - steal from the best, I guess.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 3
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/12/2008 11:11:52 AM   
MOTH

The film adaptation (a Swedish production) has been recently released in the US and has had very positive response (97% on RT). Haven't read the book , but film looks quite good i must say.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Let The Right One In - 12/12/2008 11:24:57 AM   
elab49

I noticed that in the Awards thread. And the script was written by the author - so either the film sorts the problems, or the translator was really really bad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 5
RE: Let The Right One In - 13/12/2008 3:53:32 PM   
losthighway

I found the idea interesting but the writing atrocious - so much so it was a drag getting through the book. Obviously I don't know if that is the fault of the translator or the original author, but Anne Rice is high literature compared to this.

Must be honest, I'm a bit confused by this? Where exactly was the writing atrocious and how did it drag? Examples would be good...

There are only two elements of the book I had difficulty with (and only at times)... 1. In some of the conversations, it was not apparent who was actually speaking and 2. The story jumps back and forth in time to describe events happening to various characters at the same time, which did leave me having to flick back a few pages at one point to find out which character was being discussed.

As for the film, it's in Swedish with English subtitles so going by a good 99.9% of subtitled films in the UK, we could end up with any old translation!! The number of films I have watched and the English has said one thing but te character spoken another, well...

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Let The Right One In - 18/1/2009 10:58:25 PM   
Grunny

I've seen the film, its very good, I havnt read the book but I know many people said the book explains alot more...like they normally do, its beautifully directed and the ending is fantastic.

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

Post #: 7
RE: Let The Right One In - 19/1/2009 9:16:46 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Must be honest, I'm a bit confused by this? Where exactly was the writing atrocious and how did it drag? Examples would be good...

There are only two elements of the book I had difficulty with (and only at times)... 1. In some of the conversations, it was not apparent who was actually speaking and 2. The story jumps back and forth in time to describe events happening to various characters at the same time, which did leave me having to flick back a few pages at one point to find out which character was being discussed.

Overall I'd say the book is about a 3rd too long - and spoilers will follow
once Virginia gets bitten it seems the author then doesn't know what it wants to deal with - the effects of the bite and what she does, Lakke (sp?) falling apart generally, Hakan's ridiculous behaviour and almost ludicrous inability to die, or the kids separately or together and the writing can't handle it. The drag gets worse from about his return from his dads.

Also - although ostensibly the book is about the kids the clear salaciousness and extensive coverage of the  paedophilia makes clear this is the true subject of the book, just tagged onto a vampire storyline where I'm not sure the author knows what kind of mythology he wants to create with a vampire whose strength seems to vary not with weakness from lack of blood but with the situation.

quote:

Post #: 8
RE: Let The Right One In - 19/1/2009 2:01:23 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Overall I'd say the book is about a 3rd too long - and spoilers will follow
once Virginia gets bitten it seems the author then doesn't know what it wants to deal with - the effects of the bite and what she does, Lakke (sp?) falling apart generally, Hakan's ridiculous behaviour and almost ludicrous inability to die, or the kids separately or together and the writing can't handle it. The drag gets worse from about his return from his dads.

Also - although ostensibly the book is about the kids the clear salaciousness and extensive coverage of the  paedophilia makes clear this is the true subject of the book, just tagged onto a vampire storyline where I'm not sure the author knows what kind of mythology he wants to create with a vampire whose strength seems to vary not with weakness from lack of blood but with the situation.

Spoilers

Wasn't Hakan a vampire at that stage? I think the paedophile element was there because why else would a grown man kill for a child like thing unless he thought he would get something in return?

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 9
RE: Let The Right One In - 19/1/2009 2:09:34 PM   
elab49

For the same reason most vampire stories feature familiars - a subservience to power and/or the belief they'll be turned and made special, too.

quote:

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 10
RE: Let The Right One In - 19/1/2009 3:05:25 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

For the same reason most vampire stories feature familiars - a subservience to power and/or the belief they'll be turned and made special, too.

Spoilers

But do you not think that in Let the Right One In it was slightly different? My take on it is that Hakan had paedophile urges but never acted on them, when he met Eli (or the other way around) he felt if he killed for her then he might be able to act out those urges without the rule of society? Age didn't necessarily come into to plus the relationship wa sa bit messed up to begin with.

- - -

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Let The Right One In - 19/1/2009 3:25:54 PM   
jonson

I read the book last year and really enjoyed it but agree that some of the story fell apart which I put down to bad translation. I loved the scene which described what happens when a vampire enters a house without being invited.
Looking forward to seeing the film, the gore count should be quite high as the book was pretty horrific in places.

Out of interest has anyone read any of his other books?

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 12
RE: Let The Right One In - 19/1/2009 3:27:41 PM   
elab49

Spoilers

I honestly don't think killing had anything to do with whether he acted on the urges or not. He did seem to think he could enact an element of control - using a form of blackmail. But I don't think the disgust with himself that was set up in his actions with financially available children to abuse really matched up with that tack he took with Eli - cash also gave him control. He either felt the disgust or he didn't. I simply didn't accept the author gave a good enough reason for this apparently schizoid approach.

I do absolutely disagree on the age though - the Hakan's repeated descriptions of Elis body made clear age was the key factor. But with Eli the paedophile could justify himself because apparent age wasn't actual age so abuse was OK. In a way it is making real an argument that paedophiles regularly try on - that the child knew what they were doing, that they were the seducer, etc etc - a fantasy they create to let them live with themselves. To make that a reality - a child who isn't a child just the form, who does know what they are doing so plays into that delusion I found it highly distasteful.

quote:

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Let The Right One In Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI