Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Babylon 5

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Babylon 5 - 25/2/2010 6:38:02 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

Would I be right in saying that B5 was the first TV series to run a complete story arc like that?

Two more episodes in and the scripting is as cheesy as ever, but damm it's a great story, and the characters that work really work. Bruce Boxlieter still hasn't fully settled into the role but he will. And while the CGI is of it's time there is no denying the ships are some of the most beautiful of any sci fi show ever. forgotten what a huge crush I had on Talia Winters....

I still haven't watched Season 5 but I like the other telepath chick who was in the movie pilot (I'm pretty sure she was anyways, I never watched it) and then came back for a bit in Seasons 2 & 3 and then got regular status in Season 4.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 211
RE: Babylon 5 - 26/2/2010 12:05:25 PM   
darth silas

I think the telepath arc which made up most of the first half of season 5 was something JMS crowbarred in cos most of his story material was condensed into season 4(at the time he was told there would be no season 5 so was told to finish off his story).With the Shadow war and Earth conflict resolved,he had to come up with something to fill in the first half of the season.Honestly,it shows.This storyline overstayed its welcome and i couldnt stand that Byron character and his silly hairdo! Thankfully the show got back on track in the second half of season 5 with the Centauri war arc.

Has anyone here read the novel To Dream In The city Of Sorrows written by Stracynskis wife Kathryn Drennan.Its a great read and shows what was going on with Sinclair while he was on Minbar.It also reveals what happened to his fiance Catherine sakai who just vanished from the show after season 1.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 212
RE: Babylon 5 - 26/2/2010 11:39:50 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Has anyone here read the novel To Dream In The city Of Sorrows written by Stracynskis wife Kathryn Drennan.Its a great read and shows what was going on with Sinclair while he was on Minbar.It also reveals what happened to his fiance Catherine sakai who just vanished from the show after season 1.

I've read - it's certainly the best of the very few B5 novels I've read, capturing Sinclair's character very well.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 213
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/3/2010 2:34:19 PM   
Timon

I haven't watched B5 since it first started on Ch.4... and only then I think I watched the first two series before I either lost interest or forgot it was on and missed too much.

Some of the forumites on here that have endorsed it have made me think I should check it out again, but I'm thinking post-West Wing, Rome and BSG I'll just be disappointed.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 214
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/3/2010 2:39:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

I dunno Timon. I think that you will dig it. It actully has a good mix of West Wing politics, the Court intrigue of Rome, the action of BSG all with the backdrop of a LOTR in Space tale. Although I do not believe it is as good as the above shows, it really is the first Sci-fi series that had a long form arc.

Plus you get everything for £60 from Amazon. That is what I use to pay for a single series of the West Wing!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 215
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/3/2010 4:20:54 PM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I dunno Timon. I think that you will dig it. It actully has a good mix of West Wing politics, the Court intrigue of Rome, the action of BSG all with the backdrop of a LOTR in Space tale. Although I do not believe it is as good as the above shows, it really is the first Sci-fi series that had a long form arc.

Plus you get everything for £60 from Amazon. That is what I use to pay for a single series of the West Wing!

Thing you got to bear in mind is that B5 was the first sci fi show to attempt to be more than an moral of the week or dog fight in space type series. The tone of the show is all over the place and some of the acting and scripting is shocking and as this is was made in the days before sci fi was allowed do proper drama it lacks the grittyness that we've come to expect. But if you stick with it the core story is well worth it.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 216
RE: Babylon 5 - 2/3/2010 12:58:35 PM   
spark1

quote:

quote:

Thing you got to bear in mind is that B5 was the first sci fi show to attempt to be more than an moral of the week or dog fight in space type series. The tone of the show is all over the place and some of the acting and scripting is shocking and as this is was made in the days before sci fi was allowed do proper drama it lacks the grittyness that we've come to expect. But if you stick with it the core story is well worth it.

if they had a bigger budget and not filmed completely on soundstages then the production values would have been bit higher.
but by s2/3 the acting and writing carried it thru to being great SF tv.

they even had a lot of 'walk/talk' scenes ala WW.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 217
RE: Babylon 5 - 2/3/2010 1:57:22 PM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quote:

quote:

if they had a bigger budget and not filmed completely on soundstages then the production values would have been bit higher.
but by s2/3 the acting and writing carried it thru to being great SF tv.

they even had a lot of 'walk/talk' scenes ala WW.

I've nearly finished watching S2 , I'd forgotten what an amazing performance Peter Jurasik gave as Londo Mollari. From comedic relief to tragedy to real darkness, it's a hard act to pull off

I am but an egg.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 218
RE: Babylon 5 - 25/5/2010 8:13:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

Are people still making their way through the series?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 219
RE: Babylon 5 - 25/5/2010 10:21:15 PM   
Zaphod121

Yes, it's a been a while now but I still haven't watched Season 5.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 220
RE: Babylon 5 - 19/6/2010 6:41:21 AM   
Zaphod121

About half way through Season 5, Byron was really annoying - good riddance I say! In fact good riddance to all those telepaths and their ridiculous hair! 1 ep I did love early on though was the one that centered around the two cleaning guys, it was quite touching actually and reminded me of the Buffy ep "The Zeppo".

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 221
RE: Babylon 5 - 22/6/2010 12:45:09 PM   
Zaphod121

"Great maker!" I love Londo

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 222
RE: Babylon 5 - 22/6/2010 3:48:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

Season 5 is a great response to those people who criticise a show for not having every detail mapped out from the start (Lost and BSG) - so many episodes here are redundant. The show ended in season 4, and if given the intial ending, which now closes off season 5, it would have been perfect.

There are some decent things in the season, but I can't help but feel it would have been better to set season 5 ten years into the future when some meatier events would be unfolding, allowing the show to end on the same epic note of previous seasons. Just now, it is treading water.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 223
RE: Babylon 5 - 23/6/2010 10:52:43 AM   
Zaphod121

I really like the Centauri war stuff and the reveal of what that actaully was, seeing how it became all in ruins and how Londo hit rock bottom, but S5 definitely feels like the extra season - but the last episode was a really nice cap on the series going for character rather than grandeur. Started listening to some commentaries and the cast ones are relly funny, love it when Bruce mentions the whole thing with Lochley being his wife just really didn't fly.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 224
RE: Babylon 5 - 23/6/2010 11:04:31 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

I really like the Centauri war stuff and the reveal of what that actaully was, seeing how it became all in ruins and how Londo hit rock bottom, but S5 definitely feels like the extra season - but the last episode was a really nice cap on the series going for character rather than grandeur. Started listening to some commentaries and the cast ones are relly funny, love it when Bruce mentions the whole thing with Lochley being his wife just really didn't fly.

The last episode was actully  the last episode for season 4, but once a 5th season was announced, it was put on hold.

The commentaries are a lot of fun - Jerry Doyle is a hoot.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 23/6/2010 11:05:17 AM >

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 225
RE: Babylon 5 - 23/6/2010 3:06:14 PM   
spark1

thought the playing out of londo's destiny, foreshadowed in previous eps, was well done and mr jurisk did excellent work.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 226
RE: Babylon 5 - 23/6/2010 3:19:53 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

The last episode was actully  the last episode for season 4, but once a 5th season was announced, it was put on hold.

The commentaries are a lot of fun - Jerry Doyle is a hoot.

"What am I gunna do, go to the gym? Stupid! Call my Agent? Even stupider!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 227
RE: Babylon 5 - 9/7/2010 1:23:15 PM   
spark1

scifinow's top 10 B5 eps-

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/top-tens/ten-of-the-best-babylon-5-episodes/

'deconstruction' and 'moments' on my list too.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 228
RE: Babylon 5 - 6/9/2010 8:35:46 PM   
Pratt82

Right people, I am thinking of watching 'Babylon 5' and have got them down for rental from Lovefilms but I'm after alittle advice..........as 'Battlestar Gallactica' has Season 1, Season 2 etc, it also has side stories (feature lengths I think there called) which I was told to watch in a certain order between seasons which explained indepth certain parts.

Is it the same with 'Babylon 5' as I've noticed titles aswell as the Seasons like:

Babylon 5: In The Beginning
Babylon 5: The Legend Of The Rangers
Babylon 5: The Gathering
Babylon 5: Thirdspace/River of Souls/A Call to Arms
Babylon 5: The Crusade
Babylon 5: The Lost Tales

You get the picture........

Could somebody who's watched them all let me know please, much apprectiated.

All Work & No Play! :(

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 229
RE: Babylon 5 - 6/9/2010 10:06:45 PM   
Captain Black

This stuff does get complicated because a lot of them jump around in the timeline, but in short: just watch the series first then if you like it, proceed with these. Really the strengths of the show came from its on-going narrative, so TV movies were going against the grain and never really lived up to the series proper.

Babylon 5: The Gathering
This is technically a redited version of the pilot but in all honesty I'd suggest not watching at all. It's really poor and they made a number of changes between this and the series proper.

Babylon 5: Thirdspace/River of Souls/A Call to Arms
Thirdspace is set in the middle of S3 and it's okay. I've not seen River of Souls (heard it's not too good - hence not watched) but it's set after S5. A Call To Arms is also set after S5 and is a setup for the spin-off series, Crusade. As a stand-alone, it's okay.

Babylon 5: In The Beginning
Now, without giving too much away this is set a long time after the series proper but features flashbacks. Again, watch after S5. It is the best of the TV movies they've made because it enhances the series.

Babylon 5: The Crusade
This is probably the spin-off series Crusade, which is deeply flawed and for completists only. It's set after S5.

Babylon 5: The Legend Of The Rangers
This is another I've not seen as I've heard it's very poor. Was originally intended to launch a spin-off for a new series that never materialised.

Babylon 5: The Lost Tales
The last thing produced. I kinda liked it but I think a lot of that was because it had been such a long time and it was reacting to nostalgia.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 6/9/2010 10:07:48 PM >

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Pratt82)
Post #: 230
RE: Babylon 5 - 7/9/2010 5:58:12 AM   
Pratt82

Thanks for that, much apprectiated. Probably won't bother watching them now but I'll defo be renting the whole 5 Seasons.

Oh one more thing...........(pretty important question I forgot to ask)..........is Babylon 5 any good? lol

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 231
RE: Babylon 5 - 7/9/2010 10:43:46 AM   
Rgirvan44

As long as you don't mind effects from the early to mid 90s and some cheesy acting, you should enjoy it. It is pretty much the first successfully completed long form tv show and as such it was a trail blazer for BSG, Lost etc...

The story is pretty epic though - very much Lord of the Rings in Space, and the pay offs help you get through the rough patches.

(in reply to Pratt82)
Post #: 232
RE: Babylon 5 - 8/9/2010 5:45:57 AM   
Pratt82

Sounds good, nothing wrong with abit of 90's cheesy acting.

Plus as I said in an earlier post, I've watched all the 'Battlestar Galactica' and I never thought I'd like it but I did. I've just been told by a family member that 'Babylon 5' is much better and to watch it.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 233
RE: Babylon 5 - 8/9/2010 11:59:56 AM   
vad3r

I'd say Battlestar Galactica is better than Babylon 5 in every way possible, but B5 is still worth watching.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Pratt82)
Post #: 234
RE: Babylon 5 - 8/9/2010 8:04:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

I wouldn't go as as to say its better than BSG. But it is a close sibling of that show. 

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 235
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/9/2010 10:00:32 PM   
phoenix_rising

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

I'm a massive Star Trek fan and Deep Space Nine is my best favourite Trek show, and I've heard talk of Babylon 5 being quite similar (some even saying DS9 is a B5 rip off). You can get each season of Babylon 5 from off of Play.com for only £12.99 (including free delivery). So is season 1 worth a blind buy or will I be better buying my girlfriend something else for Christmas?

in one emphatic word....YES!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 236
RE: Babylon 5 - 8/9/2010 10:22:55 PM   
phoenix_rising

quote:

Season 5 is a great response to those people who criticise a show for not having every detail mapped out from the start (Lost and BSG) - so many episodes here are redundant. The show ended in season 4, and if given the intial ending, which now closes off season 5, it would have been perfect.

There are some decent things in the season, but I can't help but feel it would have been better to set season 5 ten years into the future when some meatier events would be unfolding, allowing the show to end on the same epic note of previous seasons. Just now, it is treading water.

season five had many problems mainly due to JMS being told to wrap up the story during series 4 because the channel showing Babylon 5 was going to fold. So lots of JMS's plans were condensed to finish in series 4.

The episode where a certain character gets captured in series 4 would have been the finale and series 5 would have largely been - spoiler warning- hight text to see... - the liberation of earth and the fall of Centauri Prime.

It also didn't help that while attending a convention the maid service in his hotel threw away his plans and notes for the revised season five, plus of course Claudia Christian choosing to move on changing things further.

But I do agree with you that regardless Babylon five season five is still better than anything Battlestar galactica came up with from season three onwards. While the show never had the same kind of production values or the same high quality guest stars. Babylon five's story is king as even with its flaws Babylon 5 is greater than the sum of its parts. So while I appreciate the early series of battlestar Galactica (series three onwards not so much) and watch and love many fantastic dramas from the US including Dexter, the shield, band of brothers, the unit, the West Wing, the wire, sleeper Cell, sons of anarchy etc etc. It cannot be stated enough how good the story of Babylon five is even now regardless of its lower production values. Particularly with sci-fi it's the benchmark that has never been broken, although I did expect Battlestar Galactica to achieve this yet in the end it failed miserably after an awesome beginning.

< Message edited by phoenix_rising -- 8/9/2010 10:24:25 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 237
RE: Babylon 5 - 8/9/2010 10:26:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix_rising

But I do agree with you that regardless Babylon five season five is still better than anything Battlestar galactica came up with from season three onwards. While the show never had the same kind of production values or the same high quality guest stars. Babylon five's story is king as even with its flaws Babylon 5 is greater than the sum of its parts. So while I appreciate the early series of battlestar Galactica (series three onwards not so much) and watch and love many fantastic dramas from the US including Dexter, the shield, band of brothers, the unit, the West Wing, the wire, sleeper Cell, sons of anarchy etc etc. It cannot be stated enough how good the story of Babylon five is even now regardless of its lower production values. Particularly with sci-fi it's the benchmark that has never been broken, although I did expect Battlestar Galactica to achieve this yet in the end it failed miserably after an awesome beginning.

Woah, woah, woah. Back up here. I don't think that is my view at all. In fact I find it interesting how BSG does stuff which B5 did, but in a less explict fashion, and got put over the coals for it.

I really like both, although I would give BSG the lead, mainly because of the feel of the show. However B5 has a pretty epic storyline thats well worth any sci-fi fans time.

(in reply to phoenix_rising)
Post #: 238
RE: Babylon 5 - 10/9/2010 12:04:22 PM   
Zaphod121

Agreed, though could have done without the first half of Season 5.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 239
RE: Babylon 5 - 10/9/2010 12:38:51 PM   
Captain Black

Y'know towards the end of its run I was lamenting Galactica for running out of steam big style, but gave Babylon 5 a pass even though it suffered from exactly the same problem. The difference? Well, maybe I could argue that B5 wrapped up its storyline so S5 was basically a long epilogue where Galactica really should at the time have been amping up its storyline as it approached the finish line.

Or I'm just a big ol' hypocrite.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI