Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Babylon 5

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 2:33:21 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

You can watch Thirdspace too if you've got that, as it's set in the middle of S4.

No don't have Thirdspace, don't really know what the other movies are about so at this point I don't have a massive interest in them.

I'm just quite chuffed that we've got another convert really; I did wonder if Babylon 5 might get lost and would simply be remembered well by those who were there at the time.

It look like HIM might have been one but he never posted whether he watched past S2. As for me it's been a show that I've wanted to check out for ages and I'm glad I finally did, it wasn't I expected but great none the less.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The question is, do we recommend Crusade, Legend of the Rangers or Lost Tales?*

*no.

Crusade I'm not going to bother with, from what I've read it sounds like it got messed around with alot. Now was Legend of the Rangers that one that was supposed to be a TV movie/pilot (sort of like The Gathering - which I still have yet to watch) but never got a full series?
After I've finished B5 I would love to get stuck into another long running sci-fi epic. As far as DS9 goes, it is similar to B5 in that it takes a while for the story arc to get up and running?

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 1/12/2009 2:34:29 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 181
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 2:51:54 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

After I've finished B5 I would love to get stuck into another long running sci-fi epic. As far as DS9 goes, it is similar to B5 in that it takes a while for the story arc to get up and running?

I can't remember, have you watched BSG yet?

DS9 is distinct enough to be interesting. Whereas B5 was "Lord in the Rings in Space" DS9 takes an already established society and shows the underbelly of it. It is good in its own right, and much like B5, has a great ensemble cast of guest actors. Because it is the only Trek show that doesn't really go out exploring, it is the only one where you feel that there are fully functional societies operating all around the Federation.

It is a good show, takes a while to build up steam, but the final 4 seasons get pretty epic.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 182
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 3:22:14 PM   
The Hooded Man

I'm halfway through season 1 and finding it a chore, if I skip to season 2 will I regret it?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 183
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 3:42:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

I'm halfway through season 1 and finding it a chore, if I skip to season 2 will I regret it?

Yeah, you will. Some pretty important stuff is coming up.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 184
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 4:00:26 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

quote:

DS9 is distinct enough to be interesting. Whereas B5 was "Lord in the Rings in Space" DS9 takes an already established society and shows the underbelly of it. It is good in its own right, and much like B5, has a great ensemble cast of guest actors. Because it is the only Trek show that doesn't really go out exploring, it is the only one where you feel that there are fully functional societies operating all around the Federation.

It is a good show, takes a while to build up steam, but the final 4 seasons get pretty epic.

Oh yeah, BSG has been one of my faves for a few years now.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 185
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 4:01:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh yeah, BSG has been one of my faves for a few years now.

Was it just me or are the unifroms on B5 and BSG rather similar?

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 186
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 4:05:33 PM   
Zaphod121

Now that you mention it they kind of are, though the B5 uniforms feel more 90s.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 187
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 5:32:03 PM   
Captain Black

I quite liked The Lost Tales, even if much of that was really just because it was nice being back in the Babylon 5 universe again. And I reckon you can get by with just the last 4 episodes of the first season, if you're really struggling.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 188
RE: Babylon 5 - 2/12/2009 11:51:11 AM   
spark1

well ron moore wrote for TNG/ds9 and created the new BSG.
ok, tenuous link but the shows kinda feed off each other.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 3/12/2009 12:25:09 PM >

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 189
RE: Babylon 5 - 3/12/2009 9:24:52 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

well ron moore wrote for TNG/ds9 and created the new BSG.
ok, tenuous link but the shows kinda feed off each other.

Ugh.Please dont compare B5 to that rubbish BSG remake and DS9.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 190
RE: Babylon 5 - 16/2/2010 5:49:55 PM   
Captain Black

From waaaay back.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan
I think he does his own right wing radio show now. Still, sounds like a cool guy.

I was listening to The Babylon Podcast t'other day and it had a recent interview with Jerry Doyle on it, promoting his new book (which is called something like 'Have You Seen My Country'). He's got a really interesting career story and it's worth listening to for that alone. He's a total firebrand, but really entertaining with it -- he was a Republican candidate but (shockingly!) lost a lot of faith in the party. I'm guessing they didn't talk about politics much while on set, not without a Vorlon around to break up the fights anyway.

From the same podcast, there were a couple of episodes with a JMS interview from just before Christmas that are well worth getting too where he breaks down a few things about where and why certain things went wrong and the franchise as a whole.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 191
RE: Babylon 5 - 16/2/2010 7:01:25 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

Thanks for the tip-off, those sound interesting. Caught a couple of the repeats on FX the other day, the season 3 finale still rocks.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 192
RE: Babylon 5 - 18/2/2010 11:56:01 AM   
spark1

so we all checked show from s1-5?

so final thoughts?

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 193
RE: Babylon 5 - 19/2/2010 5:14:45 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

From the same podcast, there were a couple of episodes with a JMS interview from just before Christmas that are well worth getting too where he breaks down a few things about where and why certain things went wrong and the franchise as a whole.

Caught up with these finally, very interesting to listen to, though I did a double take when he talked about a new series of B5, remakes and reboots - whatever happened to the man's integrity?

Post #: 194
RE: Babylon 5 - 19/2/2010 5:58:12 PM   
Captain Black

I don't remember too much about that. Wasn't it more of a leading question, like 'So, what would it take to get you back to the franchise?' and they used the Star Trek TNG comparison. But y'know, I don't think I'd be entirely against the idea of a film that took some of the central ideas about the series and did a big feature film abou them; even if I've no idea how you'd compress that sort of stuff into a single storyline where the series' greatest strength was its on-going narrative. One thing that's quite apparent with the franchise as a whole, and plagued Star Trek even more so, is that when you start projecting into the future within your existing storylines, it places a ceiling on the storytelling - you can't advance certain aspects because you'll be contradicting yourself. I think there's some room to maneouvre in B5, particularly if it's projected forward to one of the time periods from Deconstruction of Falling Stars, but that's not something I'm massively interested in.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 195
RE: Babylon 5 - 19/2/2010 6:22:19 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

I don't remember too much about that. Wasn't it more of a leading question, like 'So, what would it take to get you back to the franchise?' and they used the Star Trek TNG comparison. But y'know, I don't think I'd be entirely against the idea of a film that took some of the central ideas about the series and did a big feature film abou them; even if I've no idea how you'd compress that sort of stuff into a single storyline where the series' greatest strength was its on-going narrative. One thing that's quite apparent with the franchise as a whole, and plagued Star Trek even more so, is that when you start projecting into the future within your existing storylines, it places a ceiling on the storytelling - you can't advance certain aspects because you'll be contradicting yourself. I think there's some room to maneouvre in B5, particularly if it's projected forward to one of the time periods from Deconstruction of Falling Stars, but that's not something I'm massively interested in.

That's one thing I liked about B5 though, their looks into the future were for the most part always the actual future of that universe, rather than alternate timelines and whatnot that Star Trek always seemed to do at that time. I've just always seen B5 as something that was designed to end, so I don't really have a problem with a ceiling on the storytelling.

Post #: 196
RE: Babylon 5 - 19/2/2010 8:01:16 PM   
Captain Black

Oh sure, not within the Babylon 5 series itself, but when you start talking about sequels or series set within the same timeline, it's limiting because certain key events have already been defined.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 197
RE: Babylon 5 - 20/2/2010 1:31:08 PM   
spark1

quote:

Oh sure, not within the Babylon 5 series itself, but when you start talking about sequels or series set within the same timeline, it's limiting because certain key events have already been defined.

we don't know everyting about events/characters fates between s1 and after 'crusade' so there is room to manuever.

Post #: 198
RE: Babylon 5 - 24/2/2010 1:31:03 PM   
blackduck

This thread has made me rewatch B5 all over again, nearly done with season 2. surprised how much I remembered. Always loved how tha aliens were fully rounded cultures unlike star trek where every race is defined by one charactic. Would be great if they remastered the series with improved CGI, shame there is nothing they can do about the lapses into cheesy dialogue and hammy acting.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 199
RE: Babylon 5 - 24/2/2010 2:57:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

Ain't that the truth. A recent re-watch really showed how thankless the role of Delenn was in this show.

"A thousand years ago...." seemed to be at the start of half of her scripts.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 200
RE: Babylon 5 - 24/2/2010 5:40:49 PM   
Captain Black

Just so we're falling on the positive side of feedback: every bit of cheesy dialogue is easily compensated by an awesome monologue. 

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 201
RE: Babylon 5 - 24/2/2010 7:11:07 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

I still say it's the only show that ever managed to do a series wide arc properly.

Post #: 202
RE: Babylon 5 - 24/2/2010 7:36:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

What you mean "properly"? Cause BSG did it, and by all accounts, so will Lost.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 24/2/2010 7:37:07 PM >

Post #: 203
RE: Babylon 5 - 24/2/2010 7:42:50 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

Never watched BSG, but I know people on here have accused the writers of making it up as they go along at various points, and god knows that probably goes about triple for LOST, but you never had that with B5

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 204
RE: Babylon 5 - 24/2/2010 7:48:59 PM   
Captain Black

I guess it depends on how you're defining a series wide arc, but off the top of my head - I'd say The Shield nailed it in terms of refering back to its first episode and how they events of that set in motion everything that followed. Similarly, while The Wire's seasons can be broken down and stand as separate entities, the way in which it addressed and reinforced its central themes and how everything builds upon what has passed over the course of the show (and cycled back to it) means I definitely think that show did too.

Edit: (Typing at the same time )

In Galactica they totally made it up as they went, however I don't think that's automatically a criticism in terms of what's actually put on screen. The last episodes (i.e. the three parter) do a really great job of banging square pegs into round holes, but I do question exactly how much of the last season was actually relevant in terms of advancing the story.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 24/2/2010 7:52:17 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 205
RE: Babylon 5 - 24/2/2010 7:59:24 PM   
Rgirvan44

BSG didn't make EVERYTHING up as it went along, but its not really a criticism. I think B5 with season 5 showed that having a carefully planned arc did not always equal a better story. Vut BSG told a complete story that is internally consistant, and while you may not like the answers it gives, it is a fully realised arc.

Both a planned arc and a more loose plan are pefectlly valid, as long as they make sense with what has come before.

Post #: 206
RE: Babylon 5 - 25/2/2010 9:20:51 AM   
blackduck

Would I be right in saying that B5 was the first TV series to run a complete story arc like that?

Two more episodes in and the scripting is as cheesy as ever, but damm it's a great story, and the characters that work really work. Bruce Boxlieter still hasn't fully settled into the role but he will. And while the CGI is of it's time there is no denying the ships are some of the most beautiful of any sci fi show ever. forgotten what a huge crush I had on Talia Winters....

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 207
RE: Babylon 5 - 25/2/2010 9:46:11 AM   
Rgirvan44

I think it was the first to complete its story, but was not the first attempt at an arc based drama. You had the Michael Mann produced Crime Story and Twin Peaks before B5.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 208
RE: Babylon 5 - 25/2/2010 9:57:27 AM   
Invader_Ace

I too am on  Babylon 5 Project!  We're poart way through Season 3.  The Command staff have just got new uniforms.  I'm liking it, but every now and again there's a one-off episode, what we have started to refer to as, "calm-down" episodes.  I wish they'd ditch and just crack on with the Shadow War!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 209
RE: Babylon 5 - 25/2/2010 2:20:33 PM   
spark1

still think that though telepath arc in s5 was bit weak the show went out on a high concluding sheridan and londo's arc.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI