Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 28/8/2009 1:42:28 PM   
JagLover

Babylon 5 was one of the best (if not THE best) Sci-fi show. It is just a shame that ropey special effects and occasionally cheesy acting will stop many from discovering this.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 151
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 29/8/2009 1:45:41 PM   
spark1

hey, when u think talia was given her alt personality by psi corps?
also when did lord refa 1st appear?

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 152
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 3/10/2009 11:51:52 AM   
Zaphod121

So I finished Season 3 yesterday - SPOILERS AHEAD, just in case

Really really good stuff. Have to say some of my favorites ep's where the War Without End 2 parter, seeing the way they tied it into that ep 1 from Season 1 was fantastic, I'd kind of forgotten who much the show has changed since then - and the whole reveal at the end was brilliant, really caught me off guard. Really so many great moments, especially towards the end - the death of Lord Refa, and the races coming together to fight off the shadows, the return of Sheridans wife, Babylon 5's separation from Earth, and there cool new outfits. I have Season 4 ready and waiting so will start that soon.

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 3/10/2009 11:55:11 AM >

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 153
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 3/10/2009 1:23:04 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Really really good stuff. Have to say some of my favorites ep's where the War Without End 2 parter, seeing the way they tied it into that ep 1 from Season 1 was fantastic, I'd kind of forgotten who much the show has changed since then - and the whole reveal at the end was brilliant, really caught me off guard. Really so many great moments, especially towards the end - the death of Lord Refa, and the races coming together to fight off the shadows, the return of Sheridans wife, Babylon 5's separation from Earth, and there cool new outfits. I have Season 4 ready and waiting so will start that soon.

marcus and white star good additions to show.
love that sinclair, sheridan and delenn inspired minbari society-the one who was, is, will b.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 154
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 3/10/2009 1:37:51 PM   
borstal

I think its time I watched them again. Back in the day I missed the first (maybe 2nd too) series but I did enjoy it especially the main story arc. Dramatic stuff.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 155
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 3/10/2009 2:58:17 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

It's a great season - hard to believe people preferred Deep Space Nine at the time.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 156
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/10/2009 12:55:41 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

It's a great season - hard to believe people preferred Deep Space Nine at the time.

ds9 had the spotlight but b5 was coming into its own, its mythology up and running by s2
having JMS writing whole seasons was key to the show's success.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 10/10/2009 1:15:53 PM >

Post #: 157
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 17/10/2009 1:27:17 PM   
spark1

(as the Shadow attack fleet comes out of hyperspace)

Ivanova: That's a LOT of ships.Marcus: That's a bloody awful lot of ships.

Ivanova: Jump engines back online yet?

Marcus: No. If I signal the fleet, this lot might pick it up. If they do and we can't get away...

Ivanova: Well, who wants to live forever?

Marcus: I do, actually! But what the hell...(touches the comm. panel) Signal away.

G'Kar: 'It was the end of the Earth year 2260 and the war had paused suddenly and unexpectedly. All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath...waiting. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition...or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both.
G'Quon wrote, "There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way." The war we fight is not against powers and principalities. It is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope...the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender.

The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'

Delenn: 'The humans have a saying: "What is past, is prologue'

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 158
RE: Babylon 5 - 31/10/2009 2:47:37 PM   
Zaphod121

Just finished episode 6 of Season 4, really have no clue where the show can go from here, I have a feeling J. Michael Whatshisface has some card hidden up his sleeve, of course the battle scenes where epic in the truest sense of the word and I loved seeing Vir wave up at the shadow guy's (Mr Morgan was it?) head on a pike - it really does just feel so well planned out.

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 31/10/2009 2:50:47 PM >

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 159
RE: Babylon 5 - 31/10/2009 4:27:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Just finished episode 6 of Season 4, really have no clue where the show can go from here, I have a feeling J. Michael Whatshisface has some card hidden up his sleeve, of course the battle scenes where epic in the truest sense of the word and I loved seeing Vir wave up at the shadow guy's (Mr Morgan was it?) head on a pike - it really does just feel so well planned out.

You have to watch season 4 in the context of JMS not thinking he would get another season. That is why that particular plotline is wrapped up so quickly. In his intial outline that was to be all season 4. The season moves like a freightrain, and it will be season 5 when you start seeing the problems.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 160
RE: Babylon 5 - 31/10/2009 5:15:14 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

You have to watch season 4 in the context of JMS not thinking he would get another season. That is why that particular plotline is wrapped up so quickly. In his intial outline that was to be all season 4. The season moves like a freightrain, and it will be season 5 when you start seeing the problems.

Not exactly, the season was meant to end with what ended up being episode 4.18. Episode 6 would have originally been a 2-parter if not for the collapsing of plotlines.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 161
RE: Babylon 5 - 31/10/2009 5:19:17 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not exactly, the season was meant to end with what ended up being episode 4.18. Episode 6 would have originally been a 2-parter if not for the collapsing of plotlines.

Ah right. There was still compression though. What gets me with season is there was two major plotlines which could have been done. Instead we kinda get smaller scale versions of them. Where they could have been epic, they ended up being somewhat watered down.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 162
RE: Babylon 5 - 31/10/2009 5:28:53 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah right. There was still compression though. What gets me with season is there was two major plotlines which could have been done. Instead we kinda get smaller scale versions of them. Where they could have been epic, they ended up being somewhat watered down.

Yes, I agree to a point - though I think it's more pacing that suffers rather than scale. But the last few episode of this season are particularly great.

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 31/10/2009 5:29:28 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 163
RE: Babylon 5 - 31/10/2009 5:36:57 PM   
Captain Black

Without going into specifics, I think S4 suffers because it has a wind down phase (about now, as Zaphod watches it) before having to kick into gear again. This may have been solved by sharing this over two years, but we'll never now.

I've got a few interesting things to say once Zaphod's watched the whole thing. JMS released the scripts (complete with annotations) a year or two ago and the last one had the original outline in. I shall say no more, for now...

Edit: Oh, it's Mr. Morden, for reference.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 31/10/2009 5:40:00 PM >

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 164
RE: Babylon 5 - 31/10/2009 7:53:36 PM   
Zaphod121

Yeah I knew that they thought they weren't going to get a Season 5 so they squashed storylines down, I thought maybe that's why there was so much going on in the first 6 ep's - it was pretty cool stuff though.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 165
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/11/2009 6:37:25 PM   
spamandham

I wouldn't pay for the dvd, but it is worth watching if you're a sci fi fan. Not for the short of attention span though as it is rather a slow burner of a show; i.e. continental drift slow.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 166
RE: Babylon 5 - 2/11/2009 3:30:26 PM   
Zaphod121

Watched up to episode 10 of S4 now and really enjoying the conflict between Sheridan and Garibaldi - and the reveal in ep 9 as to what really started the Mimbari war was fantastic. The show may be a slow burner and bit rough around the edges but I gotta say I really am loving it, it does seem to catch me off guard alot, don't think I've ever guessed where a story arc would go.

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 167
RE: Babylon 5 - 6/11/2009 6:53:05 PM   
HIM

Complete Babylon 5 (inc. Lost Tales) for 62.97 (Link)

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 168
RE: Babylon 5 - 6/11/2009 10:33:43 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Watched up to episode 10 of S4 now and really enjoying the conflict between Sheridan and Garibaldi - and the reveal in ep 9 as to what really started the Mimbari war was fantastic. The show may be a slow burner and bit rough around the edges but I gotta say I really am loving it, it does seem to catch me off guard alot, don't think I've ever guessed where a story arc would go.

I disagree with the "slow burner" comments, the show changes fairly dramatically from year to year. Atonement was a pretty great episode - I guess it would have been the framing story for the tv movie In The Beginning if that material had not been taken out of the series. Mira Furlan always brings out a great performance in the Delenn focussed episodes.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 169
RE: Babylon 5 - 6/11/2009 10:41:19 PM   
darth silas

quote:

I know im in the minority here,but the best is yet to come.Without spoiling anything,the arc where Sheridan decides to deal with President Clark once and for all,is the highlight of the entire series for me.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 170
RE: Babylon 5 - 7/11/2009 11:00:06 AM   
Zaphod121

quote:

quote:

I disagree with the "slow burner" comments, the show changes fairly dramatically from year to year. Atonement was a pretty great episode - I guess it would have been the framing story for the tv movie In The Beginning if that material had not been taken out of the series. Mira Furlan always brings out a great performance in the Delenn focussed episodes.

When I say slow burner, I meant it really didn't kick into drive until halfway through Season 2 - I do love how it changed and stepped things up each year. I finished Season 4 the other day day and I really loved the end period taking on Earth, one episode I thought was brilliant was the one that just solely focused on Sheridan getting tortured - it was a ballsy move to only have 2 regulars appear in that episode.

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 7/11/2009 11:01:30 AM >

Post #: 171
RE: Babylon 5 - 22/11/2009 9:54:25 PM   
Zaphod121

I've heard DS9 compared to B5, can anyone tell me what the similarities are? I'm curious, though keep in mind I haven't seen the final season of Babylon 5 or any of the TV movies.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 172
RE: Babylon 5 - 23/11/2009 12:41:20 PM   
Captain Black

Well they're both primarily set on a space station. 

I think a lot of the coparisons at the time emerged because JMS pitched Babylon 5 to Paramount shortly before DS9 was broadcast, but there are a lot of rumours and half-truths to that. Structurally they're broadly similar in terms of plot points, and they both take their time before really getting stuck into their on-going storylines. The main distinguishing features for me are that DS9 is firmly rooted in the existing Star Trek universe, with all of the strengths and weaknesses that brings, where Babylon 5 was very much its own thing. DS9 was always (in my opinion anyway) a little less concerned with advancing an overall plot; they'd be quite happy to throw in a one-off episode to break up a run of more connected ones.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 173
RE: Babylon 5 - 23/11/2009 12:48:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

While I think that B5 had the more epic story arc which drew you in, DS9 trumped it when it came to the standalone episodes. Babylon 5 really struggled when it went off road for an episode, whereas DS9 tended to work.

Post #: 174
RE: Babylon 5 - 23/11/2009 5:31:03 PM   
Captain Black

Yeah, I think that's spot on. DS9's one of those few shows that could try its hand at anything and could (though not always) manage a great episode out of it, but it also had a very impressive arc in the background.

I'd take B5 anyday though if we're comparing the two directly; because it had a wow factor in its aesthetic and storytelling ambition that I just hadn't seen before (and rarely have since).

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 175
RE: Babylon 5 - 28/11/2009 7:02:52 PM   
Zaphod121

Thanks guys, I might check out DS9 at some point. Also just wanted to post a link to this because I love it... one of the best scenes from Season 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYKloZRwLu4

Post #: 176
RE: Babylon 5 - 30/11/2009 7:03:59 PM   
Captain Black

Don't look too closely at some of the recommended links on those Youtube pages because they do give away some spoilers.

Are you up to S5 yet? Really you can treat that as an epilogue. The first half contains a very drawn out (my polite way of saying padded) storyline, but it moves up a couple of gears for the second half.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 177
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 9:29:00 AM   
Zaphod121

As this point I've seen S1 - 4 and In the Beginning (which I thought was awesome BTW) and I have S5 to watch, so I'll get on it soon after I've finished a few other shows.

quote:

Don't look too closely at some of the recommended links on those Youtube pages because they do give away some spoilers.

Thanks for the Cap, will stay away from it.

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 1/12/2009 9:33:58 AM >

Post #: 178
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 12:46:13 PM   
Captain Black

You can watch Thirdspace too if you've got that, as it's set in the middle of S4.

I'm just quite chuffed that we've got another convert really; I did wonder if Babylon 5 might get lost and would simply be remembered well by those who were there at the time.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 179
RE: Babylon 5 - 1/12/2009 12:53:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

The question is, do we recommend Crusade, Legend of the Rangers or Lost Tales?*

*no.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI