Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 15/7/2009 10:26:15 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

"Actors who were a bit right wing" = Jerry Doyle, who from listening to the commentaries is a very funny guy but when Carter appears in the credits or on the show the others start teasing him about it...sounds like there was some bad blood there. 

Well, he's not the only one to be fair - but I guess we'll never find out the story.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 121
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 15/7/2009 10:29:52 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

"Actors who were a bit right wing" = Jerry Doyle, who from listening to the commentaries is a very funny guy but when Carter appears in the credits or on the show the others start teasing him about it...sounds like there was some bad blood there. 

Well, he's not the only one to be fair - but I guess we'll never find out the story.

I think he does his own right wing radio show now. Still, sounds like a cool guy. Once they pointed out the weird bump on his head you will never not notice it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 122
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 15/7/2009 11:27:42 AM   
spark1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Just watched S2 Ep 9 "The Coming of Shadows"... things are heating up. Loving these shadow guys that Londo is in league with, they really know how to blow shit up. EDIT: Also who the bloody hell is this Warren guy? And does he actually do anything?

As I understand it the studio wanted a young dashing fighter pilot brought into the show. JMS hired the guy, he was put in the credits, and then ignored until he could do something useful. He does have a purpose, but one that doesn't really earn him that title credit.

JMS said he wanted a character in s2 on the front line, taking orders but out of the loop compared to the senior staff and not aware of the big picture.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 123
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 15/7/2009 5:59:12 PM   
darth silas

I presume Zaphod was blown away by how good ''The long twilight struggle'' was? For me the best episode of season 2 and one of the very best of the whole series.The space battles are absolutely breathtaking.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 124
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 15/7/2009 6:21:39 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

The last 5 or 6 episodes of that season is probably the best run of episodes in the series as a whole.I think people get caught up in the space battles a bit too much though - the breaktaking part for me in Long Twilight Struggle is the "No dictator, no invader..." speech.

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 15/7/2009 6:25:54 PM >

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 125
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 25/7/2009 6:57:13 PM   
icelandicwolf

the no dicator speech is probably one of the finest speeches in television history.
watching it today and it really does bring a tear to the eye.

this is the captain, we may experience some slight turbelence and then explode!

Post #: 126
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 25/7/2009 6:57:50 PM   
icelandicwolf

oh and i disagree with the space battles, one of my favourite episodes is in the shadow of z'ha'dum

(in reply to icelandicwolf)
Post #: 127
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 1/8/2009 3:28:19 PM   
darth silas

quote:

The last 5 or 6 episodes of that season is probably the best run of episodes in the series as a whole.I think people get caught up in the space battles a bit too much though - the breaktaking part for me in Long Twilight Struggle is the "No dictator, no invader..." speech.

Oh indeed,the speech from G'Kar is excellent and BRILLIANTLY performed by Andreas Katsulas.I just thnk the sequence where the Narn ships are wiped out intercut with G'kar praying and the brilliant visuals is just one of my all time favourite moments from the series.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

Post #: 128
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 1/8/2009 9:34:34 PM   
HIM

Aww, I've just IMDB'd Andreas Katsulas and was saddened to discover he died in 2006.

Post #: 129
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 3/8/2009 4:44:37 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Aww, I've just IMDB'd Andreas Katsulas and was saddened to discover he died in 2006.

Yeah lung cancer, I think it was. A few of the Babylon 5 guys have been taken before their time, Richard Biggs's sudden death in 2004 was the most shocking, far too young.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 130
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 5/8/2009 10:59:26 AM   
spark1

JMS has stated he would rather leave out gkar and the doc from any future B5 films than recast the roles as a mark of respect for the 2 actors.

< Message edited by spark1 -- 5/8/2009 11:02:48 AM >

Post #: 131
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 5/8/2009 11:41:38 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

JMS has stated he would rather leave out gkar and the doc from any future B5 films than recast the roles as a mark of respect for the 2 actors.

In the ''Lost tales'',Sheridan says that G'kar and Franklin went exploring ''Beyond the rim''.I guess thats JMS's little tribute to the two actors who played them.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 132
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 6/8/2009 9:29:47 AM   
Zaphod121

Ordered Season 3 but wont be able to watch till the end of the month as I'm going on holiday, looking forward to it though. End of Season 2 was awesome, all the stuff with the Centari (sp?) essentially conquering the Narn home world was brutal especially when they destroyed all there big massive ships, the guy who plays G'kar (was sound to find out that actor died ) is really good.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 133
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 6/8/2009 12:28:51 PM   
Captain Black

If you think the Narn capital ships are big...wait and see what the real superpowers in the B5 universe are packing. 

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 134
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/8/2009 11:30:56 AM   
spark1

anyone misssing sinclair?
think sheridan was better fit as commander.

Post #: 135
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/8/2009 1:09:26 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

I was quite surprised at the time that he left, and certainly as a character he had more depth to him than Sheridan. But, let's be honest, he's way better as Ranger One.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 136
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/8/2009 1:12:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I was quite surprised at the time that he left, and certainly as a character he had more depth to him than Sheridan. But, let's be honest, he's way better as Ranger One.

I liked Sheridan - he was a nice counter weight to other characters who took themselves a little too seriosuly.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 137
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/8/2009 1:28:40 PM   
Captain Black

Back then TV shows had much lower cast turnover than they do now, so for the first episode I was a bit shocked by it, but by the end of that I was won over.

Boxleitner's far from the best actor in the world, but he has that raw enthusiasm and just looks-like-he-believes-in-it-all quality that was required. For me he was a big upgrade, though I do like quite a bit of Hare's stuff - he was that one monologue about 'going to the stars' to the news reporter that's just class. I'm hoping Boxleitner makes appearance in the new Tron film.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 138
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/8/2009 1:32:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

I think its been confirmed that he is appearing in Tron.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 139
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/8/2009 1:38:18 PM   
Captain Black

Somewhere other than IMDB?

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 140
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/8/2009 1:41:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Bruce-Boxleitner-Is-Back-In-Tron-2-11360.html

Post #: 141
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/8/2009 1:44:49 PM   
spark1

catch him as 'mr awesome' in 'chuck' this monday nite 10pm on virgin 1-its a recurring role so he'll b in more eps later.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 142
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/8/2009 1:45:00 PM   
Captain Black

Nice one! 

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 143
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/8/2009 2:32:03 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Back then TV shows had much lower cast turnover than they do now, so for the first episode I was a bit shocked by it, but by the end of that I was won over.

Boxleitner's far from the best actor in the world, but he has that raw enthusiasm and just looks-like-he-believes-in-it-all quality that was required. For me he was a big upgrade, though I do like quite a bit of Hare's stuff - he was that one monologue about 'going to the stars' to the news reporter that's just class.

Absolutely spot on - he's certainly a big part of B5's popularity and certainly for me was what Captain Kirk is for people who grew up in the 60s. It was efficiently done too, very few shows can survive recasting the the main lead outside of Doctor Who.

Post #: 144
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 10/8/2009 10:51:11 AM   
spark1

like difference between j sheridan and j sinclair-one had a 'good war', feted as a war hero while the other a 'bad' one, becoming the 'john mccain' of the earth/minbari war.

Post #: 145
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 10/8/2009 8:21:39 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

like difference between j sheridan and j sinclair-one had a 'good war', feted as a war hero while the other a 'bad' one, becoming the 'john mccain' of the earth/minbari war.

Maybe more of a John Kerry, seems like he was getting Swift Boated when he got the B5 job.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 146
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 11/8/2009 9:00:25 AM   
icelandicwolf

I wrote this ages ago - just thought I would share

WARNING CONTAINS SPOILERS - KINDA

[John Sheridan is no mere man, who else in one lifetime can truly say he has accomplished what he has?   Now the President of a massive alliance of races including Earth and Minbar, is he the man we want as ruling president of the whole galaxy. The answer is NO   The man is a meglomanic, a power monger harbouring behind a facade of peacemaker, a man who has no qualms about using nuclear aggression.  Ah fallout it falls much like snow.   This man is SICK. In fact this man is so sick he uses them just to grab attention...well what would you do if someone was ignoring you.   The guy has proven himself untrustworthy time and time again. What sort of person schemes behind the Presidents back? In the position that Clarke himself gave him. Loyality...stick it up your nose. He was Captain of Babylon 5...neutrality was at the heart of what he did. Can you imagine a state such as Texas in the height of the Vietnam War turning around and saying, "Nah we don't like what you're doing, weíre becoming independent.Ē This I believe is called mutiny, and as for declaring B5 an independent state isn't that what is called theft, and it's not really a little theft is it. The station is 5 miles long. He ignored all advise given to him by one of the First Ones that being "If you go to Z'Ha'Dum you will die" so what does he do...yep you got it he goes, and what happens he dies.   But it's how he dies that raises the question, granted the fall would kill anyman, but just to be on the safe side he uses TWO Nuclear weapons. Iíve heard of making a political statement, but isn't this pushing it a little too far.   You can imagine Garabaldi walking in with Bester tucked under his arm.   "Got him Captain, what shall we do with him?"   "Oh I don't know spacing seems to good for him, I know let's strap a nuclear warhead to his backpack him to Psi-Corp and blow it sky high   What if Morden had asked him "What do you want?" The question doesnít bear thought, itís just too damn frightening.

< Message edited by icelandicwolf -- 11/8/2009 9:01:43 AM >

Post #: 147
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 11/8/2009 12:31:33 PM   
Captain Black

I would say there are a couple of big spoilers in the middle of that, really. 

Invisiotext:

(in reply to icelandicwolf)
Post #: 148
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 11/8/2009 1:45:54 PM   
spark1

interesting that sheridan went thru 'trial by media' in 3 eps during the series.
think he was tough, fearless and not afraid to make big decisons or sacrifices-before and after 'the incident' in s3.
but he could still b a peace maker as sinclair tried to b.

Post #: 149
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 15/8/2009 1:40:59 PM   
spark1

'G'Kar: No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, tyrants and armies can not stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.'

'Ivanova: It was the end of the Earth year 2259 and the war was upon us. As anticipated a few days after the Earth-Centauri treaty was announced, the Centauri widened their war to include many of the non-aligned worlds. And there was another war brewing closer to home, a personal one whose cost would be higher than any of us could imagine. We came to this place because Babylon 5 was our last best hope for peace by the end of 2259 we knew that it had failed. But in so doing it became something greater as the war expanded, it became our last best hope for victory. Because sometimes "peace" is another word for "surrender" and because secrets have a way of getting out.'

< Message edited by spark1 -- 15/8/2009 1:42:24 PM >

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI