Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/12/2008 3:21:35 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

This thread inspired me to pick up the complete collection (including everything- the movies, Crusade, Legend of the Rangers, Lost Tales...) on Amazon for 60 quid.

Sadly they are out of stock at the moment. Need something to tide me over January...

Wow, I didn't know they had that. I've alway put off getting the DVDs because of the widescreen remastering issues - it's probably the only time I'd prefer 4:3 ratio!

To be honest I don't see any change in the future -  if they even try and put any of this on Blu Ray it will look horrible. I doubt that the studio will be willing to invest in the upgrading of every episode.

Hopefully Amazon will get some stock in soon.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 61
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/12/2008 9:24:19 AM   
HIM

Well I've watched 6 episodes now and it's definately growing on me. The CGI isn't as jarring as at first. I'm also liking the ambiguous nature of the two central aliens - Londo and G'Kar. That alien woman (I think she's a Mumbari) is very bland though and the same can be said for the human contingent. I've not really warmed to any of them yet. The Commander isn't anything special, the guy who plays Garibaldi isn't charasmatic enough for that type of role, that Russian is bland and annoying and the doctor is just bland. Oh there's that phsychic woman who's alright. So all in all a pretty poor group of humans. Where's the Kirk/Spock/Bones triumvirate or the O'Brian/Bashir or Paris/Kim friendship? Hopefully something (anything) will develop, but as I said I'm still liking it enough to carry on. Will probably watch a few more episodes while recovering on New Year's Day.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 62
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/12/2008 9:59:58 AM   
The Hooded Man

I bought the first series and gave up after half a dozen episodes, found it to be annoyingly plodding.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 63
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/12/2008 10:31:08 AM   
spark1

shame they didn't have cash to film on location occasionally to break from stagebound look of the live action shots.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 64
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/12/2008 10:38:11 AM   
The Hooded Man

Outer space tends to be costly to shoot in.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 65
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/12/2008 10:46:23 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 66
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/12/2008 3:28:26 PM   
icelandicwolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Well I've watched 6 episodes now and it's definately growing on me. The CGI isn't as jarring as at first. I'm also liking the ambiguous nature of the two central aliens - Londo and G'Kar. That alien woman (I think she's a Mumbari) is very bland though and the same can be said for the human contingent. I've not really warmed to any of them yet. The Commander isn't anything special, the guy who plays Garibaldi isn't charasmatic enough for that type of role, that Russian is bland and annoying and the doctor is just bland. Oh there's that phsychic woman who's alright. So all in all a pretty poor group of humans. Where's the Kirk/Spock/Bones triumvirate or the O'Brian/Bashir or Paris/Kim friendship? Hopefully something (anything) will develop, but as I said I'm still liking it enough to carry on. Will probably watch a few more episodes while recovering on New Year's Day.

Good to see you are keeping at it HIM.
Be patient, the characters all grow over time, Delenn (the Minbari) has a lot of evolving too do and will be pivtol to the series, the commander isn't all that and was glad when  he was replaced HOWEVER he is VERY VERY important, but this won't be clear to season 3.
Garibaldi is pretty standard, but like the rest of them, they all have their roles to play in the grandur scheme of things, the doctor is an amazing actor, sadly richard biggs is lost to us now, gone beyond the rim as we say, but again he has a part to play in it all....the group of humans will grow on you trust me, once the arcs kick in you will not know who lives and who dies, and believe me people die A LOT!

Keep it up, you won't be disapointed..

this is the captain, we may experience some slight turbelence and then explode!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 67
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 2/1/2009 10:32:17 AM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

i meant on planet surfaces-say on minbar, narn-instead of using blue screen/cgi.
modern tv trek were able to do so but then they had the budget.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 68
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 3/1/2009 1:14:54 PM   
spark1

don't give away the homeworld!!!!!!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 69
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 5/1/2009 4:07:59 PM   
icelandicwolf

ENTILZAH! IN VALENS NAME!!

this is the captain, we may experience some slight turbelence and then explode!

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 70
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/1/2009 2:36:36 PM   
darth silas

quote:

This is Babylon 5,not Star trek.And its all the better for it.Having said that,Garibaldi and Dr.franklin get to be very good friends as the show goes on(which is tested on more than one occasion in season 3).When Sheridan comes into it in season 2,he has very good chemistry with most of the main cast because Bruce Boxleitner is ace.

Stick with it.You wont regret it.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 71
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/1/2009 2:57:50 PM   
HIM

Right season 1 is done with! Now to season 2!

So on the whole I think it was 'OK'. The characters definately grew on me, even the humans. I do like the story and there's a lot of 'Ooooh' moments where you can see hints of things to come. I've also warmed to the effects. One thing that is rather annoying is some of the acting. The central cast are all adequate - and the alien actors really throw themselves into their roles - but the bit part actors really are extremely poor. It's like they were just dragged in off the street and handed the script and told to read. I've always thought that for the most part Star Trek is very well acted. The same cannot be said for B5. Which is a shame, because the story is great but I feel like it's let down by poor acting.

I still love Londo and G'Kar. You can tell the actors really relished those roles. That Nimbari woman (Dalen? I'd IMDB or Wiki their names but I want to avoid spoilers) has also grown on me, but that's mainly because I'm beginning to see how vital her character is. I've even warmed to the humans.

My girlfriend is out tonight so I'll start season 2. I'm quite excited, which I guess is a good sign and despite all my misgivings means season one was quite successful in setting up the universe of B5.

Oh one more thought; Has anyone who watches B5 played the game Mass Effect? I adored that game but throughout season one of B5 I was constantly reminded of it. it could almost have been Babylon 5: The Game, with a few character tweeks and changes of location.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 72
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/1/2009 3:12:35 PM   
borstal

Im thinking about watching B5 again from scratch. Would I have to rummage around for a cheap dvd or are the chances of getting it elsewhere high?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 73
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/1/2009 3:22:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Im thinking about watching B5 again from scratch. Would I have to rummage around for a cheap dvd or are the chances of getting it elsewhere high?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babylon-Complete-Collection-Exclusive-Amazon-co-uk/dp/B000WDSRG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1233414963&sr=8-1

This has all five seasons. The Crusade tv show. The five tv movies. The Legend of the Rangers and the recent Lost Tales.

All for the sum of 60. Ordered mine last night. Will need something to fill the Battlestar sized gap when it finally finishes.

Season 2 is really when things start to come together. I agree that some of the acting is a little ropey, but I suppose it was from a time where Sci-Fi/Fantasy was still considered in the ghetto of tv land - but they do bring in a number of side characters who do good work.

G'Kar and Londo are easily the best of the bunch.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 74
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/1/2009 5:01:52 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Season 2 is really when things start to come together. I agree that some of the acting is a little ropey, but I suppose it was from a time where Sci-Fi/Fantasy was still considered in the ghetto of tv land - but they do bring in a number of side characters who do good work.

The worst are the ones when they have a B-story with some thug or lowlife in "Down Below" - just always the most appalling no mark actors with dodgy accents. B5 always struggled to get decent actors, probably cause of the budget, I bet any Trek series paid tons more.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 75
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/1/2009 6:10:31 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Put your hand in your pocket, it's only 12 for a season which is rediculously good value. Buy one a month or something and you won't even notice the outlay.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 76
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 6/2/2009 9:34:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

So I'm watching the DVDs now. Whats the problem with the widescreen transfers? I think the show looks great! It looks less like a set and actully feels bigger than I recall than when it was on tv.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 77
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 5/4/2009 2:48:16 PM   
HIM

I finally finished season 2 now. The reason for the delay was purely because I got bored of it and actually stopped watching. After the events of the climax of season 1 I was expecting season 2 to hit the ground running, but it didn't. The first half was pretty dull. However I hate leaving things unfinished so while I was off work the other week I was bored so decided to finish off the season. And I'm glad I did! J Michael Strazinzer (sp?) really upped the ante.

****SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2****

I was really surprised at the direction Londo went in. He was my favourite character but now he's pure badass. He's obviously regretting what he wished for and is in too deep to stop, but still it's quite surprising. I had him pegged as the Quark character. Always up to mischief but with a good heart. I would have thought G'Kar would be more the kind for mass genocide. I think it's really interesting how the Narn and Centauri are portrayed in B5. Compare for instance DS9. In that the nasty looking aliens - the Cardasians - are the aggressors, conquoring and enslaving the very human looking Bajorans. B5 goes very much against our expectations. Here the agressors are the human looking ones and the alien types are being victimised and more or less whiped out. Meanwhile, the humans stand by and allow this to happen and in fact go one step further and actually sign a non-aggression treaty with the agressors! Look back at DS9. If the Cardasians tried to reinvade Bajor there's no way the Federation would have stood aside and let them. It was the Romulans would did that and signed a non-aggression treaty. I can see what people mean when they say B5 goes places Star Trek never did.

****SPOILERS FOR KNOWING (the recent Nic Cage film)****

Also after 2 seasons I finally know what the Vorlon look like. I'm not sure what I make of this. It's very similar to the ending of Knowing if anyone's seen that i.e. aliens being responsible for the angels myth. So having seen Knowing it really did change the perception of that for me than if I'd seen B5 first.

****END SPOILERS****

Anyway, I've ordered season 3 - incidently, the season boxsets have gone down to only 10.99 on Play.com!!!! Bargainlicious - and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes from here.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 78
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 5/4/2009 2:59:21 PM   
Funkyrae

Oh it gets far more sinister and nasty from here.   You're in for a treat.

That's me that is!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 79
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 5/4/2009 5:08:03 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

****SPOILERS FOR SEASON 2****

The revelation about what the Vorlons really look like was pretty cool, though I'd figured it out beforehand.

****END OF SPOILER****

Glad you're still enjoying it HIM, as Funky says you're in for a treat with S3, it's awesome. Oh, and it's spelt Straczynski.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 80
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 5/4/2009 10:12:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

Oh it gets far more sinister and nasty from here.   You're in for a treat.

Agreed -  you're in for a LOT of surpirses and season 3 and 4 barely have any filler so you should blast through them pretty quickly.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 81
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/4/2009 1:57:42 PM   
spark1

got to defend ds9-the cardassians were not 2 d villians. there were lot of variations from dukat, damar and garak.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 82
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/4/2009 2:17:34 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

got to defend ds9-the cardassians were not 2 d villians. there were lot of variations from dukat, damar and garak.

I didn't say that the Cardassians were 2-D villians. What I meant was that they were the stereotypical bad guys, purely in their looks. They look 'evil' and inhuman, where as the Bajorans look very much like humans. In B5 what i thought was a great touch was that the 'evil' and inhuman looking Narn were the ones being whiped out by the human looking Centauri. It's a great reversal of roles and plays very much against your expectations.

In terms of how they were written you cannot falt the writers of DS9. They did a fantastic job of creating well rounded and multi-layered villians in the Cardassians.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 83
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 12/4/2009 11:02:04 AM   
HIM

To all you B5 fans, there's a four-page feature on B5 in this month's SFX magazine. I picked it up because Star Trek was on the cover so I was pleasently surprised to see the B5 feature when I got home. I haven't read it yet though as I still have (at least) 2 seasons left to watch. Speaking of which, I'm going to start season 3 today. 

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 84
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 14/4/2009 3:52:14 PM   
spark1

Sheridan, in his dress uniform, practices his apology. "I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell. As with everything else," he muses, "it's the thought that counts."

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 85
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 14/4/2009 10:30:02 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

To all you B5 fans, there's a four-page feature on B5 in this month's SFX magazine. I picked it up because Star Trek was on the cover so I was pleasently surprised to see the B5 feature when I got home. I haven't read it yet though as I still have (at least) 2 seasons left to watch. Speaking of which, I'm going to start season 3 today. 

Yeah, I flicked through this in the shops today - it's the most spoileriffic thing I've ever read, so file it away till you've finished the series I think. It's very surprising to see them be so positive about the series after the mag fell out with JMS back in the 90s (his Usenet posts used to read "permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine" at the end for years), and admitting it was better than DS9. Heh.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 86
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 14/4/2009 10:47:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Yeah, I flicked through this in the shops today - it's the most spoileriffic thing I've ever read, so file it away till you've finished the series I think. It's very surprising to see them be so positive about the series after the mag fell out with JMS back in the 90s (his Usenet posts used to read "permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine" at the end for years), and admitting it was better than DS9. Heh.

They fell out? That explains why, when they did a top 50 Sci-Fi shows magazine, Babylon 5 came 9th and Deep Space Nine was 3rd. Now its the other way around appranetly. I enjoy both shows, but B5 does have a larger scope, although DS9 allowed more than one character at a time to be going through a personal criss. I am currently rewatching the show and will post a review at some point.

The change in quailty from about half into seaosn two right through to the end of season 4 is pretty cool. And that one subplot no one liked in season 5 didn't last as long as I remembered it when it was broadcast on tv.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 87
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 15/4/2009 5:04:31 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

The change in quailty from about half into seaosn two right through to the end of season 4 is pretty cool. And that one subplot no one liked in season 5 didn't last as long as I remembered it when it was broadcast on tv.

The final 6 of S2 are an amazing run in particular, it's when the show really became unmissable TV.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 88
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/5/2009 1:13:09 PM   
spark1

glad JMS was able to bring back lyta to replace talia-of course she was used replace lyta when the network wanted her dropped after the pilot ep.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 89
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 10/5/2009 7:55:55 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

I preferred Talia as a character to be honest.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI