Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 1:24:18 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Mods you might want to edit in a spoiler warning in the above post, considering HIM hasn't seen the series and is likely to read this thread again...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 31
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 2:41:36 PM   
Zaphod121

I've always been quite curious about this series, but the fact that people say S1 isn't that good has always kinda put me off.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 32
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 4:57:24 PM   
jediwarrior

Babylon 5 Lost Tales is on Sky Movies in December, I know it was made not long ago, anyone seen this? any good?

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 33
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 7:31:52 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

Babylon 5 Lost Tales is on Sky Movies in December, I know it was made not long ago, anyone seen this? any good?

Nope.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 34
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 9:23:47 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

I've always been quite curious about this series, but the fact that people say S1 isn't that good has always kinda put me off.

It's not dreadful by any means, it's just that it's finding its feet in S1 - the big story kicks off in S2, and it gets much much better. The first is watchable if a bit Star Treky - I always enjoyed it from the start though. It just loses rewatch value after you've witnessed the awesomeness of S2 and the highpoint of the series, Season Three.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 35
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 10:01:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

There is a lot of stuff in season 1 which comes back in later seasons. A throwaway line there, a character here - hints of a bigger story.

Watching it the first time, it is doubtful you will pick up on some of it. But once you revisit the show (and you will) you will be amazed at how well planned out the arcs were.

A single incident in one episode could have reprecussions two seasons down the line. So yeah, season 1 does feel a little rough at first but within the context of the larger picture it plays very well.

Again comparing it to the first part of the Fellowship of the Ring (the books) we get hints and omens but nothing set in stone. It helps build the universe up so when it all kicks off you are comfortable with the different races and what they represent.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 36
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 10:09:25 PM   
Joedini

Now I want to give it a go!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 37
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 11:10:41 PM   
Zaphod121

Isn't there some TV movie you have to watch first called Babylon 5: The Gathering, or is that included in the Season 1 set?

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 38
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 11:12:12 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

Isn't there some TV movie you have to watch first called Babylon 5: The Gathering (Kinda like the BSG mini-series), or is that included in the Season 1 set?

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 39
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 11:13:14 PM   
Zaphod121

Bugger quoted my post instead of editing! Wait I can't I can't even edit my posts now? what the hell is up with that???

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 40
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 11:18:06 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Isn't there some TV movie you have to watch first called Babylon 5: The Gathering, or is that included in the Season 1 set?

It was a backdoor pilot for the series, but I never watched it until after the series had ended. Many of the characters are different, some personailities are changed and their are major differences in makeup.

I wouldn't call it vital to the rest of the series - in no way does it hold the same importance as say the Battlestar miniseries.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 41
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 11:21:22 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

There is a lot of stuff in season 1 which comes back in later seasons. A throwaway line there, a character here - hints of a bigger story.

Watching it the first time, it is doubtful you will pick up on some of it. But once you revisit the show (and you will) you will be amazed at how well planned out the arcs were.

A single incident in one episode could have reprecussions two seasons down the line. So yeah, season 1 does feel a little rough at first but within the context of the larger picture it plays very well.

Again comparing it to the first part of the Fellowship of the Ring (the books) we get hints and omens but nothing set in stone. It helps build the universe up so when it all kicks off you are comfortable with the different races and what they represent.

Exactly.  You tend to find yourself going back to season one, re-watching certain scenes and going "ahhhh" now I get it!"

That's me that is!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 42
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 11:31:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

quote:

Exactly.  You tend to find yourself going back to season one, re-watching certain scenes and going "ahhhh" now I get it!"

I love how one particular episode in season one plays a major role in the third season (fans will know what I am talking about) but it will totally not have the same impact on first viewing.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 43
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 11:38:04 PM   
Funkyrae

I know the one you mean!

That's me that is!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 44
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 11:43:04 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I know the one you mean!

When I saw that one alien guy from the episode re-introduced in season 2 in a totally different scenario my jaw hit the floor.

*realises he will soon need to speak like Kosh in order to keep thread spoiler free*

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 45
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 10/12/2008 12:01:12 AM   
Funkyrae

Don't forget dressing like a shower curtain!

That's me that is!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 46
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 10/12/2008 12:08:35 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Don't forget dressing like a shower curtain!

"Yes.."

No wonder he lived away from everyone else. Would be a kill joy at the parties. .

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 47
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 10/12/2008 12:13:56 AM   
homersimpson_esq

"And so it begins..."

I have an urge to re-watch Babylon 5 now...

I do think there was one science-fiction series that had the potential, given opportunity, to eclipse B5. Firefly. As it is the comparison is unfair, as there are 5 series of B5, and not even a full US series of Firefly.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 48
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 10/12/2008 12:57:32 AM   
mafyou

I got right to the end of the first series of Babylon 5 with my lovefilm but missed out on the last episodes as I gave up on the free trial as I was going back to uni. I loved what I saw. Once I have some money I will certainly watch the rest.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 49
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 24/12/2008 10:50:52 AM   
HIM

Right I watched the first two episodes last night. Not quite sure how I feel about it. What I will say is that it's very, very cheap! The sets, the effects, the production values. All very cheap. The make-up is quite good though. I guess I've been spoiled by recent U.S. television output with it's slick effects and almost movie production values. I'll perservere though as I said and see what I think after I've watched season 2. After all I still love the Next Gen and DS9 even though they can look very cheap.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 50
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 24/12/2008 11:09:32 AM   
homersimpson_esq

The style does grow on you - yeah the production value isn't as big, but consider: it is a SciFi series! The grungy look of the station is intentional, after all this is a more realistic portrayal of the future than Star Trek (not saying it is realistic tho, just more realistic!).

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 51
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 24/12/2008 11:56:31 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

And so it begins. There’s a hole in your mind. What do you want? No one here is exactly what he appears. Nothing’s the same anymore. Commander Sinclair is being reassigned. Why don’t you eliminate the entire Narn homeworld while you are at it. I see a great hand reaching out of the stars. Who are you? President Clark has signed a decree today, declaring martial law. These orders have forced us to declare independence. Weapon supplies. Unless your people get of their encounter suited butts and do something Your the one who was. If you go to Z’ha’dum you will die. Why are you here? Do you have anything worth living for? I think of my beautiful city in flames. Giants in the playground. Now get the hell out of our galaxy. We are here to place President Clark under arrest.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 52
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 24/12/2008 1:30:37 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

And so it begins. There's a hole in your mind. What do you want? No one here is exactly what he appears. Nothing's the same anymore. Commander Sinclair is being reassigned. Why don't you eliminate the entire Narn homeworld while you are at it. I see a great hand reaching out of the stars. Who are you? President Clark has signed a decree today, declaring martial law. These orders have forced us to declare independence. Weapon supplies. Unless your people get of their encounter suited butts and do something Your the one who was. If you go to Z'ha'dum you will die. Why are you here? Do you have anything worth living for? I think of my beautiful city in flames. Giants in the playground. Now get the hell out of our galaxy. We are here to place President Clark under arrest.

love that season 5 opener-comes from left and right from ur speakers.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 53
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 24/12/2008 4:30:08 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Right I watched the first two episodes last night. Not quite sure how I feel about it. What I will say is that it's very, very cheap! The sets, the effects, the production values. All very cheap. The make-up is quite good though. I guess I've been spoiled by recent U.S. television output with it's slick effects and almost movie production values. I'll perservere though as I said and see what I think after I've watched season 2. After all I still love the Next Gen and DS9 even though they can look very cheap.

B5's budget was about half of what DS9 and Voyager had at the time, so I think they did okay. The alien make-up is a lot better than Trek's "stick a bumpy nose/chin on" efforts - I think the same company did the Buffy stuff after that.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 54
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 24/12/2008 5:31:01 PM   
HIM

So do the effects and genral production value improve over the seasons?

Post #: 55
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 24/12/2008 5:35:47 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

So do the effects and genral production value improve over the seasons?

Only a little bit I'd say - Season 3 had amazing CGI effects for the time, but if you're going to compare everything by today's standards, you might as well not watch anything really.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 56
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 24/12/2008 6:50:40 PM   
darth silas

HIM,there will be a few stinkers in the first season that may make you lose faith(Grail,TKO) but stick with it and you will be glad you did.Bruce Boxleitners introduction at the start of season 2 was a huge step forward for the show.The guy just emanates cool and is a great leading man.

Watch out for shadows by the way,they move even when you dont see them...

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

Post #: 57
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 30/12/2008 12:47:56 PM   
icelandicwolf

You'll know you suddenly are a fan when someone asks you "What do you want?" And you say "NEVER ASK ME THAT QUESTION!"

Unlike many, I think Series 1 is brilliant, it introduced a hellva lot of questions "there is a hole in your mind!" and the season titles tell the story
Season one - Signs And Portents (does it exactly what it says on the tin)
Season two - The Coming Of Shadows (look out for the excellent episode of the same name)
Season three - Point Of No Return (And that will be the point where you will be totally hooked)
Season four - No Surrender No Retreat (it all comes to a head)
Season five - The Wheel Of Fire (The consquences)

A Lot of people also slate season five, but it has a lot of stuff in there where suddenly the consquences of what went before hit various characters, some very very hard and it also hints at the start of the telepath war which every b5 fan has been gagging to see since.
And if you make it all the way through, I bet you shed a tear or two for those who have gone beyond the rim.

this is the captain, we may experience some slight turbelence and then explode!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 58
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 30/12/2008 1:06:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

This thread inspired me to pick up the complete collection (including everything- the movies, Crusade, Legend of the Rangers, Lost Tales...) on Amazon for 60 quid.

Sadly they are out of stock at the moment. Need something to tide me over January...

(in reply to icelandicwolf)
Post #: 59
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 31/12/2008 2:36:15 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

This thread inspired me to pick up the complete collection (including everything- the movies, Crusade, Legend of the Rangers, Lost Tales...) on Amazon for 60 quid.

Sadly they are out of stock at the moment. Need something to tide me over January...

Wow, I didn't know they had that. I've alway put off getting the DVDs because of the widescreen remastering issues - it's probably the only time I'd prefer 4:3 ratio!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI