Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Babylon 5. Worth a punt?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Babylon 5. Worth a punt? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 7:03:23 PM   
HIM

I'm a massive Star Trek fan and Deep Space Nine is my best favourite Trek show, and I've heard talk of Babylon 5 being quite similar (some even saying DS9 is a B5 rip off). You can get each season of Babylon 5 from off of Play.com for only £12.99 (including free delivery). So is season 1 worth a blind buy or will I be better buying my girlfriend something else for Christmas?
Post #: 1
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 7:13:06 PM   
Scruffybobby

Baybylon 5's a big pile of shit!*

*Actually I've never seen more than a couple of eps but I hear it's pretty good.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 2
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 8:03:03 PM   
sanchia

It is a quality Sci-Fi programme. If you do decide to watch it be prepared for the long hall and the first season isn't that brilliant. It is when Bruce Boxleitner turns up that it really starts to get going although there are the odd generic episode thrown in . The effects, which were glorious in their day, are probably rather dated now. You may also suddenly get an urge to look up Claudia Christian's Playboy shoot

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 3
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 8:10:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah season one can be a bit of a slog but it is vital you watch it. the pay offs that come down the line are more than worth it.

While it is far from perfect at times the overall story is brilliant. If you like DS9 and Battlestar you will love this.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 4
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 8:23:28 PM   
sanchia

I think the fact that it is all one cohesive story which really makes it stand out.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 8:28:48 PM   
elab49

If you like ST generally you may find it different - rather than completely episodic B5 introduced story arcs in a way that has influenced many shows since. DS9 is mentioned in the same way as it was the only one that really aspired to an arc, even if it was a ridiculous messianic one.

For my money B5 is much better than anything ST produced or aspired to - and it is the best thing Walter Koenig's been in too.

Unlike many I do like the 1st season - Boxleitner was always to goody goody and it would have been nice to have a better more complex 'lead' - but I guess the point was he wasn't really. And the entire show belies the accusation - made specifically about B5 by a numpty - of the way SF treats alien races as in B5 they are characters that really grow and credibly develop over the 5 seasons - Londo and G'kar as a joy.

So try it out - and find out why one little hand wave can be one of the most memorable scenes you'll see.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 6
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 8:36:47 PM   
Rgirvan44

I would argue it has a lot more in common with Lord of the Rings than it does with Star Trek.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 8:47:46 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I love it. Having said that, I've still never watched the whole of Season 5. Michael J Straczynski (I'm going to be my own cliché by questioning the spelling of that when I suspect it is correct) had the whole story from the start but, due to viewing figures was pressured to complete the show after 4 seasons. When they decided to renew, it meant that the fifth season was extra, and it feels that way. Personally, I'd say watch seasons 1 - 4 and leave it there. It's a natural conclusion for me.

And I enjoyed the first season - it really does inform the rest of the show.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 8
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 9:10:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

Did you watch the final episode of season 5?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 9
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 9:24:35 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Nope. Got about 5 or 6 episodes in. First time I watched the show I got that far. I determined to finish the lot a few years ago now, watched the lot from the start again, got to around the same point and just ran out of steam. Never bothered carrying on.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 10
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 9:31:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Nope. Got about 5 or 6 episodes in. First time I watched the show I got that far. I determined to finish the lot a few years ago now, watched the lot from the start again, got to around the same point and just ran out of steam. Never bothered carrying on.

You have to watch the final episode.

"Sleeping in Light" was actully filmed for the season 4 finale when it looked like the show wasn't going to return, so techincally isn't really part of the season 5 show.

Its rather excellent and doesn't require knowledge of season 5.

Post #: 11
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 9:44:07 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Is it the one where: Spoilers---> the timeline jumps significantly into the future and we see the (much) bigger picture of things? If so, I've seen that one. If not, then the one I describe is a perfect show close, but I may be tempted to search out this other one, just out of curiosity. Spoilers end.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 12
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 9:53:53 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Is it the one where: Spoilers--->

Spoilers end.

It's sounds like you've seen both finales, as it were, from your invisotext. Oh, and you got the showrunner's name spelled correctly but in the wrong order: it's J Michael Straczynski! I can't believe he's got a movie made by Clint Eastwood (not that I even like Eastwood, but still). 

Post #: 13
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 9:55:44 PM   
sanchia

And he used to write for Murder she Wrote

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 14
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 10:06:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Is it the one where: Spoilers---> the timeline jumps significantly into the future and we see the (much) bigger picture of things? If so, I've seen that one. If not, then the one I describe is a perfect show close, but I may be tempted to search out this other one, just out of curiosity. Spoilers end.

That sounds like the season 4 ending that was created once season 5 was announced.

Sleeping in Light is kinda, sorta like that but much more focused on the characters themselves.

Post #: 15
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 11:00:34 PM   
Funkyrae

Oh yes.  Buy it.  Get them all and then get the films.  Babylon 5 was simply one of THE best sci fi shows ever and you're not far wrong when you state that DS9 was a rip off.  It certainly seemed as though they took some of the better parts of B5 and used it for DS9.

What they missed though was the complete nastiness that pervaded it.  Season one is good in that it sets the scene, you really don't get much from it other than "this group hates that group, they hate them even more."  Season two is where it all kicks off and dear lord it's relentless.

I have all the B5 seasons and films and wouldn't trade them for all the Star Trek you could fling at me.  I haven't got round to getting Crusade yet, but I'm sure I will at some point. 

That's me that is!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 7/12/2008 11:14:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

Oh I certainly think DS9 went to some pretty nasty places during the course of the series. Sisko did some morally ambigious stuff during the Dominion War.

I suppose what sets B5 apart is the sense of scale of the whole thing. While the war in DS9 was massive for Trek standards it didn;t have quite the sweep and complexity of B5. They both work and I can't honestly choose between them.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 17
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 12:01:56 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Also He-Man and The Real Ghostbusters and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors - ol' JMS has come a looong way...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 18
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 10:54:44 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Also He-Man and The Real Ghostbusters and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors - ol' JMS has come a looong way...

Wait. You're saying that like those three series were bad! Sacrilege!

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 19
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 11:13:49 AM   
Caster

Dear God NO!

Post #: 20
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 12:41:58 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know where you get these ridiculous ideas from - I'm just saying that most people who worked on '80s kids cartoons don't become A-list screenwriters for Oscar winning directors. I liked those shows as a kid too.

Post #: 21
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 12:43:00 PM   
paulyboy

If you can stick with it through the first season (which to be honest, Mind War, Babylon Squared and Chrysalis aside isn't all that good) and into the second when the story arcs really start to develop then it's arguably one of the most satisfying pieces of Sci-Fi out there. Thoroughly recommended.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 22
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 1:25:05 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't know where you get these ridiculous ideas from.  I'm just saying that most people who worked on '80s kids cartoons don't become A-list screenwriters for Oscar winning directors. I liked those shows as a kid too.

Post #: 23
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 2:36:49 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Pesky edit button, eh? Added in some doubt-erasing italics and a smiley, I see!

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 24
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 6:06:59 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Pesky edit button, eh? Added in some doubt-erasing italics and a smiley, I see!

Yes, reread and thought "Hmm, this looks snippy when it shouldn't - a smiley fixes all". Stupid broken forum.

Post #: 25
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 6:45:25 PM   
Ghidorah

quote:

I love it. Having said that, I've still never watched the whole of Season 5. Michael J Straczynski (I'm going to be my own cliché by questioning the spelling of that when I suspect it is correct) had the whole story from the start but, due to viewing figures was pressured to complete the show after 4 seasons. When they decided to renew, it meant that the fifth season was extra, and it feels that way. Personally, I'd say watch seasons 1 - 4 and leave it there. It's a natural conclusion for me.

And I enjoyed the first season - it really does inform the rest of the show.

I agree with your opinion on season 5 but some of the movies were pretty good like In The Beginning, Third Space and The Gathering is a vital to the overall Babylon 5 plot. However Crusade, Rangers movies and Call to Arms were sloppy and should be missed especially the Rangers.

Post #: 26
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 8:14:36 PM   
darth silas

Babylon 5 is the greatest sci-fi series ever made.I highly HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who hasnt seen it.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 27
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 8:19:02 PM   
HIM

OK I've just ordered Season's 1 and 2 from off of Play.com, so bearing in mind that Season 1 is a bit of a slow burner (as was DS9) I'll power through that regardless and if I'm not impressed after Season 2 I won't bother with the rest and will curse those who've made me waste £26! 

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 28
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 8/12/2008 10:09:20 PM   
indysgill

I love this show, have all 5 seasons.
As people say season 1 is a slog, but i feel season 3 is where it is at its peak, that final episode is still my fave.

Stick with it HIM.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 29
RE: Babylon 5. Worth a punt? - 9/12/2008 12:34:38 PM   
spark1

B5 season 5 underrated-the fall of centuarui and londo makes the eps.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 9/12/2008 10:24:17 PM >

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Babylon 5. Worth a punt? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI