Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 12:19:42 AM   
Goodfella

Grand. Another thread that has totally derailed for no reason whatsoever. Thanks to the small amount of posters who actually kept on topic.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to The Fonz)
Post #: 31
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 12:46:23 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Not my fault, I blame that Fonz geezer.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 32
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 1:38:48 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

My problem with the Family Guy when compared to The Simpsons is thus.  Homer is a dufus whose heart is in the right place but every now and again they'll write an episode where they lose that balance and he just becomes self-satisfied, nasty and vindictive (invariably Ned is on the receiving end).  Those are the episodes that really fall flat on their faces.   But in Family Guy, Peter is actually a pretty nasty c**t in 9 out of 10 episodes.  He's almost like a cross between Homer and Cartman, however the character development in terms of theme is far cleverer in the latter two.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 33
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 3:11:53 AM   
moontheloon

Family guy fell in quality a lot quicker than the simpsons did. I like family guy and will continue to watch it, but It is the kind of thing which I can see why people don't like it. The later series though just haven't really been making me laugh all that much..

Same with the simpsons really. with a couple of episodes over the last two series being genuinely bad (the last but one episode mypods and broomsticks being one of them) But the simpsons will always be better for me because I like the characters more, I think they are nicer people, the stories are sweeter, and I can forgive the shit episodes for the string of continuous classics through threw out between season 3 and 12.

It surprises me that you are not a fan of king of the hill. I've always found that to be a bit similar to the simpsons, certainly more so than it is to family guy. But I do think King Of the hill is great, though have only seen the odd episode here and there, never seen a whole series all the way through... though I mean to buy some one day.

South Park.. fuck it I think it's great. It too has had a bit of a dip in quality recently, but some of their episodes are really clever, despite how silly they become I like the little political bits. Just a lot of fun that appeals to the big kid in me

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 34
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 10:55:13 AM   
Tech_Noir

In what other show would you get such random discussions like this.

CLICKY

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 35
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 11:14:12 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Kind of sums up Family Guy - there has to be a pop culture reference or totallly unrelated discussion in order to get a laugh.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 36
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 11:17:51 AM   
Tech_Noir

Why's that a bad thing?

It's a show who's only goal is to make a viewer laugh, if it doesn't work for you fair enough but I find it hilarious.

Post #: 37
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 11:42:39 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

Kind of sums up Family Guy - there has to be a pop culture reference or totallly unrelated discussion in order to get a laugh.

For me the former have been getting pretty obscure too. Though I do enjoy the show it's novelty has worn off. When it was first released it was a breath of fresh air. The first 3 seasons made me laugh so much. Now I still watch it but it does not reach those highs all the time.

Post #: 38
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 12:12:48 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

Comparing Family guy and the Simpsons is a bit like comparing Benny Hill and Blackadder.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 39
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 12:22:16 PM   
the anomaly

You should have titled this thread...
"lucky there's a family guy"?

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 40
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 2:25:53 PM   
steffols

lucky theres a man who positively can do all the things that make us laugh and cryyyyyy

I always admitted to never being a fan of Family Guy, but when its on I usually watch it and I usually end up laughing at it.  I have season 4 on dvd.  Some of the episodes in that season are brilliant.  Really worth a watch. 

Quagmire is the best character in the whole thing.  But has anyone else found the likeness between Quagmire and Richard Lewis from Curb scary?

Just me?

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 41
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 3:17:38 PM   
EricL

Although i prefer Family Guy over The Simpsons that are on nowadays, Simpsons in its prime is miles better. I only think Family Guy is OK. While it can be funny at times, its rarely hilarious. But i just couldn't give a shit about the characters and without Stewie it would lose about half the good jokes. Also, Family Guy's writers can be incredibly lazy. One episode ends with everything that happened being all a virtual reality(which is as good as saying it was all a dream). I think in the episode 'Petarded', Peter loses his whole family. Then they all just walk in the door, reunited again with fuck all explanation. Most of the supporting characters are awful too, mainly Herbert and the pointless Greased Up Deaf Guy. I can't fault Adam West though. Although its flawed, i preferAmerican Dad.

"When Bruce Willis was dead at the end of The Sixth Sense I jizzed in my pants"

"I can't take him to the SPCA. They told me never to come back after I tried to give them a bunch of rats that my rat trap caught but didn't kill."

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 42
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 3:26:04 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: EricL

I think in the episode 'Petarded', Peter loses his whole family. Then they all just walk in the door, reunited again with fuck all explanation. Most of the supporting characters are awful too, mainly Herbert and the pointless Greased Up Deaf Guy.

I think you're missing the point of Family Guy.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to EricL)
Post #: 43
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 5:13:08 PM   
EricL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

I think in the episode 'Petarded', Peter loses his whole family. Then they all just walk in the door, reunited again with fuck all explanation. Most of the supporting characters are awful too, mainly Herbert and the pointless Greased Up Deaf Guy.

I think you're missing the point of Family Guy.

Well if there going to the trouble of having a plot for episode they can surely resolve it better than that.

As for Greased Up Deaf Guy, i just do not find him funny at all and i just don't understand whats even meant to be funny about a greased up deaf guy.

"I can't take him to the SPCA. They told me never to come back after I tried to give them a bunch of rats that my rat trap caught but didn't kill."

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 44
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 5:25:46 PM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

Also, Family Guy's writers can be incredibly lazy. One episode ends with everything that happened being all a virtual reality(which is as good as saying it was all a dream).

Again, you're missing the point. I believe you're referring to the two parter where Stewie (sort of) kills Lois and it was revealed it was all a simulation. They didn't do it as a cop out, per se, as they stated loud and clear it would piss people off if thats what they did even as they were doing it (as the conversation between Stewie and Brian revealed). They did it on purpose because they're aware of exactly what type of show they have there and how they're percieved.

The Simpsons did a similar thing where they made reference to how everything goes back to normal in the next episode no matter what has occured in the previous one.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to EricL)
Post #: 45
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 5:52:01 PM   
Hardcore Raver

quote:

As for Greased Up Deaf Guy, i just do not find him funny at all and i just don't understand whats even meant to be funny about a greased up deaf guy.

I definitely agree with this. I just cannot for the life of me work out what people find funny about this character. It's just bizarre. Same goes for that old paedophile. Not funny in the slightest.

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to EricL)
Post #: 46
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 9/12/2008 5:52:09 PM   
EricL

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs

quote:

Also, Family Guy's writers can be incredibly lazy. One episode ends with everything that happened being all a virtual reality(which is as good as saying it was all a dream).

Again, you're missing the point. I believe you're referring to the two parter where Stewie (sort of) kills Lois and it was revealed it was all a simulation. They didn't do it as a cop out, per se, as they stated loud and clear it would piss people off if thats what they did even as they were doing it (as the conversation between Stewie and Brian revealed). They did it on purpose because they're aware of exactly what type of show they have there and how they're percieved.

The Simpsons did a similar thing where they made reference to how everything goes back to normal in the next episode no matter what has occured in the previous one.

I know they mention it would piss people off, but i still don't think it excuses it.

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 47
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 23/4/2009 5:40:15 PM   
Trained Filmsassin

Family Guy is a peice of trash, to state it in an  eloquent sense. The scripts aren't even remotley original, the jokes not in the slightest smart, funny or relevent to the plot, the characters boring, 2-D, unoriginal and heartless. The plots contain fuck all care, sweetness, and none carry a heart. There are no classic episodes at all either.

The Simpsons is classic for a reason, and you all know that. South Park has original characters, original plotlines, very smart jokes that are relevent to the plot (SPs piss-take of family guy was genius, especially the writers part ) and a bunch of classic episodes. Family Guys jokes only consist of pop culture, random jokes and offensive bollocks

Rant over.

Okay, i'll get out, but then i'll come back in and kick your motherfuckin' ass.

(in reply to EricL)
Post #: 48
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 23/4/2009 11:46:55 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Over all the simpsons is still better (ep ratio) but the new episodes of Family Guy are funnier then the new Simpsons.  The problem with FG is that there's no real story it's just jokes one after another.  The stories are so weak...

(in reply to Trained Filmsassin)
Post #: 49
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 24/4/2009 1:00:31 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

The Brian/Stewie conversation, albeit amusing,  is just put in there as a get out clause as obviously they'd written themselves into a corner. There is a difference between a postmodern reference and having a bad cop-out ending, and FG fell on the wrong side that time.

Post #: 50
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 24/4/2009 8:46:51 AM   
blackduck

One of the problems Family Guy (and any other animated series) has is it will get compared to the Simpsons which, in its prime, was argueably the greatest program on the telly ever. It would be a bit like comparing every new cop show to the wire. Most episodes of family guy have a low hit rate with thier jokes but there is always at least one killer joke in every episode. And as much as I like Family Guy I have to agree with some of the critisims made, the writers are getting lazy and Peter has become too big a jerk and the occasional structured plot would be nice.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 51
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 24/4/2009 11:44:18 AM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

The Brian/Stewie conversation, albeit amusing,  is just put in there as a get out clause as obviously they'd written themselves into a corner. There is a difference between a postmodern reference and having a bad cop-out ending, and FG fell on the wrong side that time.

If that's the way you read it then so be it. I doubt they'd 'written themselves into a corner'.

Two recent episodes - 'family gay' and the star trek one were very good. The episodes either side of those were quite poor but there aren't many other comedies putting out hit after hit at the moment.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 52
The Cleveland Show - 1/7/2009 7:15:53 PM   
sanchia

Having just seen this I think that it may be a spin off too far. It comes across as trying too hard to have quirky characters and fails. At the same time a lot of the jokes fall flat and as Cleveland was one of the weaker and more poorly written characters anyway it all seems a bit pointless and needy.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family Guy? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI