Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Family Guy - general discussion thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Family Guy - general discussion thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Family Guy - general discussion thread - 6/12/2008 11:26:44 PM   
Goodfella

I am fasting drawing to the conclusion that I am the only person in the world who can't stand the new cartoon phenomenen that is Family Guy?

I just feel like it will never compare to The Simpsons but not just that, even on it's own, aside, I don't find it remotely funny. It's full of awful one-liners and crappy modern day references.

I never liked King Of The Hill and likewise either though so maybe it's just not for me.

So am I the only one?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 24/4/2009 5:40:02 PM >

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 1
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 7/12/2008 1:39:25 AM   
KnightofZyryab

I don't hate it, but after you rewatch some of the episodes you start to see how crap some of the jokes are, most of them based around parodies of actors that usually end in them getting beaten up. How funny indeed. It gets tired after a while with Peter's stupid laugh and the "look at me I'm being ironic" humour. If you want original humour, timing and irony then rewatch the Simpsons seasons 3-11.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 2
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 7/12/2008 2:18:22 AM   
Echo89

I don't mind Family Guy, but I do agree that it has NOTHING on The Simpons.

And I don't see any point to American Dad whatsoever...

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 3
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 7/12/2008 10:01:09 AM   
Stillwater

Not a fan of family guy either, I just dont get it

Forum Innuendo Champion 2009

"great art is about conflict and pain and guilt and longing and love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love..."

" There is a tide in the affairs of men. Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries "

(in reply to Echo89)
Post #: 4
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 7/12/2008 11:03:57 AM   
Tech_Noir

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 9:21:34 AM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella
"new cartoon phenomenen"

Where have you been? It's on to it's seventh series and has even been cancelled twice and brought back.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 6
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 10:23:29 AM   
richCie

i'm not particularly fussed about it, or the simpsons or scrubs or friends or south park or....

i dont watch tv really...
i used to like the simpsons but theyre pretty crap these days.

i used to like south park, but never watch it anymore.
scrubs is painfully over-rated. it has a few laughs but not enough for people to view it like the second coming.

i do get annoyed at how many go on about stuff from family guy, and then when i entirely fail to laugh it's like "oh well you kinda have to see it to get it".

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 7
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 10:25:39 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

"new cartoon phenomenen"

Where have you been? It's on to it's seventh series and has even been cancelled twice and brought back.

If he doesnt like Family Guy, he'll hate that other new cartoon, what is it called? "South Park" or something like that...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 8
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 10:39:37 AM   
Neth

quote:

I just feel like it will never compare to The Simpsons but not just that, even on it's own, aside, I don't find it remotely funny.

While it can be patchy at the best of times, on a good-gag-per-minute basis Family Guy is funnier than The Simpsons has been for a long time.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 9
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 10:42:47 AM   
igotnewlegs

While we're at it has anyone seen this program called Seinfeld? I just don't get it - the main guy can't act, another one just keeps bursting through his neighbour's door for some reason and there doesn't seem to be any story! It just doesn't compare to Fawlty Towers.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 10
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 10:44:09 AM   
Felix

Also, has anyone seen that new fly on the wall documentary? I cant think what its called, but its set in an office...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 11
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 10:46:14 AM   
igotnewlegs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

quote:

I just feel like it will never compare to The Simpsons but not just that, even on it's own, aside, I don't find it remotely funny.

While it can be patchy at the best of times, on a good-gag-per-minute basis Family Guy is funnier than The Simpsons has been for a long time.

Though to be fair, Jim Davidson has been funnier than The Simpsons for a long time.

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 12
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 10:50:17 AM   
BigKovacs

I think it's brilliant but it does owe it's existance to Family Guy and is slowly running out of steam. I'll remember it fondly for it's mid season stuff.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 13
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 12:46:30 PM   
Monkeyshaver

I've never really got into Family Guy. Granted Simpsons is past its sell by date but Family Guy often feels like its made up of discarded Simpsons scripts. Plus I don't like the animation style, puts me off.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 14
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 2:19:37 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Family Guy is funny, sure, but the problem I have with it is that, unlike The Simpsons, Futurama, and to a lesser extent South Park, I really don't care about the characters. Also, I think with the large amount of 'remember the time when...' scenes, at times it comes across as little more than an animated sketch show, rather than being plot driven (though admittedly, The Simpsons is becoming increasingly guilty of this too).

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 15
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 2:22:05 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I don't like it either, it just doesn't make me laugh at all.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 16
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 2:25:20 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

I love it, except season eight's constant 9/11 jokes were getting a little annoying.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 17
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 2:29:09 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

"new cartoon phenomenen"

It's arguably only become a phenomenon from Season 4 onwards, where it gained a much larger fanbase.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 18
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 2:29:43 PM   
matthewforan

I like it a lot but it's nothing compared to South Park

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 19
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 2:32:23 PM   
tftrman

I think Family Guy is brilliant, I'm evidentally in the minority on this forum!

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 20
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 4:23:43 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

"new cartoon phenomenen"

You've taken that out of context, I meant that it's popularity seems to have increased signficantly recently.

Felix, will there ever be a day when you don't take the piss...badly?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 21
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 4:32:40 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

quote:

quote:

"new cartoon phenomenen"

You've taken that out of context, I meant that it's popularity seems to have increased signficantly recently.

I haven't taken anything out of context. You just didn't put it in that context in the first place. You don't even use the word "popularity" in the first post so how could I have taken it in that context?

Besides, the sudden popularity in Family Guy still spiked several years ago.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 22
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 4:35:46 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

"new cartoon phenomenen"

I haven't taken anything out of context. You just didn't put it in that context in the first place. You don't even use the word "popularity" in the first post so how could I have taken it in that context?

Besides, the sudden popularity in Family Guy still spiked several years ago.

Alright perhaps I should have just said new phenomenon instead.

I hadn't heard much about Family Guy until about half  a year ago when I seemed to notice more and more people talking about it.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 23
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 4:48:18 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

There's so much negativity going around these boards, It really bothers me.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 24
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 4:55:15 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

I'm guessing you're a fan of Family Guy.

Post #: 25
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 4:57:29 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

I am, but i meant the message boards in general. Everybody is entitled to their opinions, I'd like to think I'm grown up enough to accept them.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 26
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 5:27:19 PM   
Felix

This is just like that time when...

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 27
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 5:37:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

Same here.

Family Guy has given me more laughs in just the first 3 seasons alone than all the episodes of Simpsons combined.

Post #: 28
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 5:45:06 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

Same here.

Family Guy has given me more laughs in just the first 3 seasons alone than all the episodes of Simpsons combined.

I love The Simpons, always have, always will. I am in full agreement the latter seasons haven't been nearly anywhere as good as the earlier ones but I've still enjoyed them.

Family Guy just doesn't do it for me, neither does American Dad as someone mentioned earlier.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 29
RE: Am I the only person in the world who hates Family ... - 8/12/2008 11:13:27 PM   
The Fonz

Here is a list of things I do not like:
  • The new-look Blue Peter
  • Strictly Come Dancing
  • Merlin
  • Hardeep Singh Koli
  • People beginning a sentence with "Am I the only person who..."
  • Darts being considered a sport
  • The French
  • Hangovers
  • That feeling of quiet desperation you get when going into Birmingham
  • People who have too much sex
  • People who don't have enough sex
  • Paedophiles
  • Gavin and Stacey
  • Nicholas Lyndhurst's career since Goodnight Sweetheart
  • Children
  • Old people
  • Liverpool
  • That Kwame bloke who used to be on Casualty but now takes up a seat on Newsnight Review when they could give it to Marina Hyde instead
  • Drugs
  • Baldness
No, I didn't see the point in that either.

Sit on it

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Family Guy - general discussion thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI