Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Trek Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Star Trek Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek Thread - 17/5/2009 9:27:06 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Got hold of the complete original series, remastered version. Only watched a couple but its really well done, a few cg tweaks here & there but not done in a way that jars with the original footage. It really is the pinnacle of Star Trek!
Incidentally, there is a definite sexual frisson between Spock & Uhura in the first couple episodes!!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 151
RE: Star Trek Thread - 18/5/2009 9:04:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

I'm back!

Needed a break after blasting through season one and then watching the movie a few times.

Amok Time

Season 2 gets off to a rousing start with a visit to Spock’s home planet of Vulcan. Also along for the ride is Chekov, resulting in the final cast being in one place. Everyone is on top forum here- the right balance between the characters is in place.

Nurse Chapel reappears for a scene – only to be shouted at by a crazy Spock not wanting to eat her soup. What’s funny is that Kirk and Bones give her shit for still being in love with him before the incident. It feels like the three of them had been talking about it behind her back. Still can’t blame them, she’s not exactly Mrs. Personality.

Vulcan is a crazy old place. For a logical race, they sure do have some bizarre rituals. Spock being engaged is a neat concept but the ceremony seems rather counter productive to a logical society. Still it’s a cool excuse for Kirk and Spock to fight again, and again Spock hands his ass to him. The music is pretty awesome here.

Best moment of the episode is the obvious twist at the end, but the surprising “JIM!” followed by an embarrassed silence.

The FX work is neat here – much like Tomorrow is Yesterday, the changes to Vulcan have an influence from the movies.

This is Star Trek proper. The full cast, some mythology setting (now gone by the new film) and some witty banter make for a great episode.

Who Mourns for Adonais?

Didn’t take Roddenberry long to get another “God” on the show. At least this one has some campy entertainment. It also makes me appreciate yet another Futurama injoke (the green hand stopping the ship)

The one thing this episode had in its favour was the idea that this was the god Apollo who had happened to come to Earth in our past. I liked that idea and at least got away from the “copying human cultures” excuse that it trotted out again and again.

One line that struck me

Kirk: Mankind has no need of gods; we find the One quite sufficient

So were they saying the Federation was Christian based at this point of the series?

One of the better versions of the same tale, but still not enough to disguse how plots were being recyled.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 152
RE: Star Trek Thread - 18/5/2009 9:24:03 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I'm back!

Needed a break after blasting through season one and then watching the movie a few times.

Amok Time

Season 2 gets off to a rousing start with a visit to Spock’s home planet of Vulcan. Also along for the ride is Chekov, resulting in the final cast being in one place. Everyone is on top forum here- the right balance between the characters is in place.

Nurse Chapel reappears for a scene – only to be shouted at by a crazy Spock not wanting to eat her soup. What’s funny is that Kirk and Bones give her shit for still being in love with him before the incident. It feels like the three of them had been talking about it behind her back. Still can’t blame them, she’s not exactly Mrs. Personality.

Vulcan is a crazy old place. For a logical race, they sure do have some bizarre rituals. Spock being engaged is a neat concept but the ceremony seems rather counter productive to a logical society. Still it’s a cool excuse for Kirk and Spock to fight again, and again Spock hands his ass to him. The music is pretty awesome here.

Best moment of the episode is the obvious twist at the end, but the surprising “JIM!” followed by an embarrassed silence.

The FX work is neat here – much like Tomorrow is Yesterday, the changes to Vulcan have an influence from the movies.

This is Star Trek proper. The full cast, some mythology setting (now gone by the new film) and some witty banter make for a great episode.

Who Mourns for Adonais?

Didn’t take Roddenberry long to get another “God” on the show. At least this one has some campy entertainment. It also makes me appreciate yet another Futurama injoke (the green hand stopping the ship)

The one thing this episode had in its favour was the idea that this was the god Apollo who had happened to come to Earth in our past. I liked that idea and at least got away from the “copying human cultures” excuse that it trotted out again and again.

One line that struck me

Kirk: Mankind has no need of gods; we find the One quite sufficient

So were they saying the Federation was Christian based at this point of the series?

One of the better versions of the same tale, but still not enough to disguse how plots were being recyled.

Its not 'gone'. The events of the movie happen in a alternate universe to all pre-existing Trek which has not been erased.
Anyway, I'm way behind you. Just going to watch The Enemy Within after being thoroughly entertained by The Naked Time with a swashbuckling Sulu!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 153
RE: Star Trek Thread - 18/5/2009 9:26:28 PM   
Rgirvan44

I know, was just being glib.

Although the new timeline will be it for here on in I suspect.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 154
RE: Star Trek Thread - 19/5/2009 9:18:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

It seems Kirk is now wearing the green uniform which I frankly have never been a fan of. It looks like something he would wear off duty. Hoping he gets back to traditional wear soon.  

The Changeling

So this is just pretty much Star Trek: The Motion Picture done in 50 mins? I’ll give the episode this, NOMAD was a much more interesting character than V’Ger.

I enjoyed this one – even though NOMAD was a bit annoying, like that friend who comes to stay for the weekend and you want them out the house before they have even taken off their shoes.

This is also I believe the first we see of the Kirk out thinking a computer episode. I felt kinda sad for the machine as they blasted it away.

Does anyone know if they tried to connect NOMAD and V’Ger together? I could look it up but I fear that would take me to a realm of Star Trek where only the most hardened fans should venture.

Mirror Mirror

Picked by Empire as one of their favorite TOS, I’m not so keen on it. Maybe because I wasn’t a fan of the Mirror episodes of other series (apart from the fact that the Mirror characters seemed to be getting laid a LOT more than our heroes). It just felt like another excuse to have two different Kirks in a single episode. Amusing to see how into woman Sulu is in the Mirror universe though.

It wasn’t a bad epsiode, just felt flat for me.

The Apple

More plants that kill! Red Shirt death everywhere!

I came into this thinking it would suck. A lot. But I came round on it. This and Star Trek Insurrection share a lot of similarites, although how the crews deal with the populations are very different. Not sure if the Prime Directive had been invented at this point, but if it had, Kirk and boys just trodded right through it.

Note that the Genesis story is brought up here. Totally different context but it’s a nice moment.

And Chekov gets some tail. Well done him.

The Doomsday Machine

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best episode so far. The new effects for this are brilliant. The Constallation damaged and floating in space, the Enterprise taking on the Machine firing its phasers etc. It all looks GREAT and epic. Its episodes like this that are worth wading through the God Men episodes.

The Decker family doesn’t seem to have much luck when it comes to encountering giant alien objects in space. Loved how pissed off Kirk was when he managed to regain contact with the Enterprise.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 155
RE: Star Trek Thread - 29/5/2009 12:12:56 AM   
moontheloon

I just finished the first season of Next Generation. After a bit of a rough start where they seemed to be finding their feet I have actually become addicted. We've had a bunch of just great episodes toward the end. The following contains spoilers for anyone who's not seen it. The episode where Yar dies was great, then the conspiracy was fantastic, and the final episode setting up what I assume will be a running theme in at least the next season with the Romulans coming over the neutral zone and declaring that they are back. I'm excited about the next season now!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 156
RE: Star Trek Thread - 29/5/2009 12:21:48 PM   
Captain Black

Er...don't get your hopes ep. S2's largely known for how it was affected by the writers' strike, there's some weak stuff in there. It all picks up in S3 though.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 157
RE: Star Trek Thread - 30/5/2009 1:35:33 PM   
spark1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Er...don't get your hopes ep. S2's largely known for how it was affected by the writers' strike, there's some weak stuff in there. It all picks up in S3 though.

s2 highlights include 'measure of a man', 'emissary', 'q who' and 'matter of honor'.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 158
RE: Star Trek Thread - 19/6/2009 12:32:12 PM   
spark1

the big question-is OS season 3 really that bad?

Post #: 159
RE: Star Trek Thread - 23/6/2009 9:59:53 AM   
Timon

By and large....yes BUT it does have the odd classic such as Day of the Dove (Starfleet pitted against Klingons), Spectre of the Gun (The OK Corral) and ....erm.....Spock's Brain.... oh....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 160
RE: Star Trek Thread - 15/7/2009 9:08:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

I needed a break from this for a while. But I have yet again begun watching TOS. Determined to get through them before the new Trek movie comes out on DVD.

Catspaw

Another day, another all powerful being which wants to screw with the Enterprise.

Such a yawnfest. Worst episode of season 2 so far – I do understand that it was the first shot for the season. I actually cannot be bothered to write anymore about it.

I Mudd

Kirk and crew find a planet with over 200,000 human looking androids – all ruled by Harry Mudd.

Woo – after the crushing bore of Mudds woman I finally get to see a decent Mudd episode. Totally campy, but very fun and yet again proves that no computer can outmatch Captain Kirk in a contest of logic.

Metamorphosis

Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Commissioner Nancy Hedford, a diplomat suffering from a crippling disease, encounter one of the largest continutiy errors in Star Trek history.

This is the one where the Enterpirse encounter Zefram Cochrane, you know, the guy played by James Cromwell in Star Trek First Contact. Execpt in this episode we are told Cochrane came from Alpa Centuri and not Earth. He also appears to have lost his sense of fun. Kirk and Co don’t have a clue who he is.

The writers also throw in another being with superpowers into the mix. But here its not so bad, and while there is a hell of a lot of padding in the episode and the story doesn’t do much you wouldn’t expect, it is fun enough.

Still…I suspect that this is one of those episodes the later writers and producers would want to wish away.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 161
RE: Star Trek Thread - 16/7/2009 6:24:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

Journey to Babel

The Enterprise is tasked with taking ambassadors to a secret meeting when an assassin strikes. Oh and Spock’s folk show up.

So it’s pretty obvious the writers used this episode of building Spock in the new Trek film. Lines of dialogue are from this episode, as is the back story about the Vulcan Science Council.

The “I married her because it seemed…logical” comes from here.

A pretty great episode. Doesn’t do anything amazing with the plot but the characters give it enough life while Spock is finally given a bit more colour- heck they even mention his bullying at the hands of other Vulcan children. I’m really impressed in retrospect how the new movie took onboard a lot of this stuff. I suspect that if Vulcan hadn’t gone the way of the Dodo Spock and Sarek would have still been on bad terms.

Those blue skinned guys with the funny ears finally arrive on the scene – pretty cool as well. I think that these are really the first alien aliens on the show. Even a few bumpy heads here and there.

When I finish all these seasons I am going to do a “episodes you should watch to enhance the movies” selection. This will be pretty high up.

Recommended.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 162
RE: Star Trek Thread - 17/7/2009 11:55:55 AM   
spark1

is the remastering and new fx making a difference to even the best/worst eps in the OS?

Post #: 163
RE: Star Trek Thread - 17/7/2009 12:18:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

is the remastering and new fx making a difference to even the best/worst eps in the OS?

Not really. The bad episodes are still bad. It's not like they created whole new FX scenes. If there is a 5 second shot of the Enterprise orbiting a planet, it will be the same thing in the remastered episodes.

The space battles are still based on the way they were cut in the TOS so its rare to actully see ships hitting each other for instance - although in one of the next episodes I am reviewing there are some cool bits.

The new stuff helps a lot of the bigger FX episodes, such as the Doomsday Machine, but if it doesn't transform bad episodes.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 164
RE: Star Trek Thread - 26/8/2009 11:15:49 AM   
spark1

rick berman on 18 years of trek at-

http://trekmovie.com/2009/08/26/rick-berman-talks-18-years-of-trek-in-extensive-oral-history/

Post #: 165
RE: Star Trek Thread - 9/9/2009 11:47:05 AM   
spark1

43 years of Trek at-

http://trekmovie.com/2009/09/08/star-trek-turns-43/

Post #: 166
RE: Star Trek Thread - 22/11/2009 1:54:24 AM   
MI Cruise

The recently released Star Trek Seasons 1-3 remastered seasons are available for £30-£40.
New channel on Sky 148 called CBS Action are airing the remastered versions of the original series from the beginning at 6pm every weekday.

Seeing as I am new to Star Trek I have decided to watch and review all the episodes as I watch them in order so this will end 1-2 years perhaps

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 22/11/2009 7:48:12 PM >

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 167
RE: Star Trek Thread - 22/11/2009 2:17:35 AM   
MI Cruise

Pilot
The Cage

A great first episode that's really got me in the sci-fi spirit.

Overall Score -

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 6/3/2010 12:20:16 AM >

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 168
RE: Star Trek Thread - 22/11/2009 2:54:01 AM   
MI Cruise

Episode 1
The Man Trap

The episode was more slower than The Cage however it wasnt any less tense, on board the Enterprise the danger hits too close to home with most of our favourite characters almost having all the salt sucked out of them!

Overall Score -

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 6/3/2010 12:19:48 AM >

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 169
RE: Star Trek Thread - 22/11/2009 8:03:51 PM   
MI Cruise

Episode 2
Charlie X

This episode was originally titled The Day Charlie Became God but lets face it the episodes just about an adolsecent kid who doesnt know any better than slapping women on the backsides, you tell him Kirk.

Overall Score -

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 6/3/2010 12:19:05 AM >

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 170
RE: Star Trek Thread - 22/11/2009 8:12:52 PM   
juanvasquez

When did these start? Will have to set up the Sky+ for these!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 171
RE: Star Trek Thread - 22/11/2009 8:24:00 PM   
Rgirvan44

I have now watched every episode of TOS. I had to stop doing individual reviews just to get through them.

Season 3 is really quite rubbish, with maybe a couple of good episodes. There are far too many "God" episodes. But that said when an episode is good you realise why it got the attention it did.

Also I kinda prefered the Enterpirse bridge from the cage- resembled the movie sets a lot more.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 172
RE: Star Trek Thread - 22/11/2009 8:29:38 PM   
MI Cruise

Episode 3
Where No Man Has Gone Before

The alternative pilot also brilliant.

Overall Score -

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 6/3/2010 12:17:25 AM >

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 173
RE: Star Trek Thread - 22/11/2009 8:35:23 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

They started airing it last Monday on Sky channel 148 so you have missed the first 5 episodes but the 6th one is coming tomorrow, they are the new remastered versions of the show.
They also show an omnibus on Sunday morning they repeated the first 5 episodes today I guess.
CBS have also started airing other old shows like Moonlighting and Dynasty.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 174
RE: Star Trek Thread - 22/11/2009 8:37:41 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

They started airing it last Monday on Sky channel 148 so you have missed the first 5 episodes but the 6th one is coming tomorrow, they are the new remastered versions of the show.
They also show an omnibus on Sunday morning they repeated the first 5 episodes today I guess.
CBS have also started airing other old shows like Moonlighting and Dynasty.

I saw that Star Trek TOS was showing when flicking through earlier but presumed it was Sci-fi channel. Never mind. Hopefully they'll come back around ala Friends!

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 175
RE: Star Trek Thread - 22/11/2009 8:37:56 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I have now watched every episode of TOS. I had to stop doing individual reviews just to get through them.

Season 3 is really quite rubbish, with maybe a couple of good episodes. There are far too many "God" episodes. But that said when an episode is good you realise why it got the attention it did.

Also I kinda prefered the Enterpirse bridge from the cage- resembled the movie sets a lot more.

Well after I've watched and done individual reviews for the TOS I plan on doing the same for the other 4 Star Trek shows which will take longer than this one. Plus all 11 movies.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 176
RE: Star Trek Thread - 24/11/2009 6:43:44 PM   
juanvasquez

Watching episode 7 - Mudds Women, I cant help but think of

And episode 6 had the coolest life form!

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 177
RE: Star Trek Thread - 17/12/2009 12:14:57 AM   
MI Cruise

Episode 4
The Naked Time

Worth watching purely for Sulu and his mad swashbuckling skills.

Overall Score -

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 6/3/2010 12:21:09 AM >

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 178
RE: Star Trek Thread - 17/12/2009 8:41:47 AM   
Rgirvan44

Best moment of that episode for me is from where that picture is taken.

Sulu: I will protect you fair maiden!
Uhura: Sorry, neither.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 179
RE: Star Trek Thread - 29/4/2010 2:49:40 PM   
spark1

OS eps in 3d?-

http://trekmovie.com/2010/04/29/cbs-experimenting-with-converting-star-trek-tv-series-to-3-d-moonves-not-convinced-there-is-a-market/

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Star Trek Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI