Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Inbetweeners

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Inbetweeners Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 1:00:18 AM   
shawshank prisoner

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: shawshank prisoner

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scabby

Well this episode reaffirmed my notion that this show is pants. I've given it a try a couple of times now and I can't see the appeal. It tries to be a teen Peep Show, without the sophistication, character or charm. I want nothing more than to relate to a gang like this (considering I used to hang about with similar types) but it never clicks, feels unbelievable and usually contrived. With this and the IT Crowd, I constantly get the feeling that I'm losing touch with my own generation, spiralling into an abyss where quotes are thrown at me daily, while I look on perplexed as to why these wondrous words amuse so many. I thought that the cinema would be a safe haven from such trifling material but I hear soon enough that the darkened theatre will be no escape from this bunch of bumbling twerps.

It's ironic how much of this speech could have easily come from the mouth of Will.

I think that's the most irritating response you could have given. Scabby's right: this show is awful. It's unbelivablly contrived and simply re-enforces the iditotic stereo-type of modern teens. Then again, based on how many people seem to like a show in which the most poplar gag is the line 'bus wankers' (M3GAL0LZ), maybe the stereo-type they're portraying is unfortunatley correct. Bad times.

What, someone pointing out the irony of someone else slagging off a show while sounding uncannily like one of the characters from said show is the most irritating response you could think of? You've clearly never been on the imdb.
Also, regardless of whether you find it funny or not, I don't buy this negative stereotype nonsense. Most teenage boys are idiotic, crude and horny - I know I was. Would you rather they made a comedy about the boring lads who sit quietly, finish their homework and are always home on time for their tea? That would be a hoot.
And as for 'bad times', I'm more concerned about the kids who carry knives, steal cars and set fire to old people's hair on trains than I am those lying about their sexual conquests and shouting 'bus wankers'.

This is the probelm, though. You've simply bought into the bullshit stereo-types. As far as you're concerned the only types of teenage boys that exist are horny morons, boring geeks and knife-wielding rudeboys. This, my friend, is bullshit. No one I've ever met is anything like the characters in The Inbetweeners: No one is that two-dimensional or socially retarded. It's just generally insulting to suggest that teengers have no depth to them and are simply obsessed with sex despite knowing nothing about it (He doesn't know he has to thrust and thinks he has to move his whole body Laugh Out Loud!). On another note, the performances are dreadful and the indie-music cues at the introduction of every scene are just plain irritating since they simply re-enforce the bullshit stereo-type of modern teens as conformist, Radio1 robots. As far as I'm concerned, this show is no better than Skins or any of BBC Three's output.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 91
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 8:52:59 AM   
Rgirvan44

He didn't say he thought all teenagers were like that though.

My goodness, the amount of venom being directed at this show by folks is surprising. I hope none of you are watching next weeks!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 92
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 9:00:00 AM   
jediwarrior

Finally got round to watching it last night.

Not the best episode so far but still funny.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 93
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 9:09:02 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Exactly, and neither does the show. These four characters are really meant to be on the fringes and not examples of the entire male teenage population. Despite that, I've met plenty who resemble them.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 94
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 9:12:54 AM   
Sledge Hammer

there does seem to be some vitirol being levelled at it.

I thought all sitcom characters were exact stereotypes of 100% of their respective characters.

for example, I thought all vicars were:

a. female
b. Over weight

And all hotel owners (particularly Torquay region) were:

very tall
very thin
Had moustaches
Nagging wives
borderline racist
employed incompetent waiters from the basque region of Europe

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 95
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 11:11:03 AM   
shawshank prisoner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

My goodness, the amount of venom being directed at this show by folks is surprising. I hope none of you are watching next weeks!

He said 'most' teenage boys are like that, though. He then went on to suggest that the only other possibility for a concept set during teenage years is that regarding geeks. That seems to me as though he's bought into the stereo-type. Besides, even if this show isn't trying to suggest that all teeage boys are horny, crude morons, that doesn't take away from the fact that there is no depth whatsoever to any of the characters, let alone the main four. Besides being desperate to somehow gain female attention, each of the four characters has one characteristic and one purpose:

Will: geek (he wears a suit to school, geddit?)
Simon: insecure/ ever-so-slightly sensitive
Jay: horny alldatime
Neil: dumb

If you want to argue that people this flat and boring exist in real life, go ahead. I certainly don't want to watch programmes about them, though.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 96
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 11:25:46 AM   
Rgirvan44

They have more than that -

Will - someone with a high opinon of himself, but doesn't really demostrate much in the way of being a geek. At least in terms of the cliche. He is confident, very much aware of his place in the social ladder, but is not willing to submit to it, and seeks out being part of the "in" crowd. He has better successes with older girls, and will likely come into his own when going to uni.

Simon - A guy who could have been in with the popular crowd (and why are the popular people always disliked by the majoirty of the year group? Surely they would be the unpopular ones?), but through who he is friends with, and those other random elements that go into where you are placed in the school ladder, he isn't/ He has puppy love for his childhood sweetheart, which sometimes manifests itself in slightly creepy displays of affection. Again, he is likely to be someone who comes into his own at uni.

Jay - He is a real insecure character. Constrantly berated by his father, and always looking for attention. His BS is silly, but he does it because deep down, he knows that these are the only friends he has, and he doesn't want to lose them. He will likely be the one to struggle the most after school.

Neil - He is the guy who gets by through life without much of a care about anything. He represents that person who never really leaves his hometown, and is always reassuringly there whenever you visit. Likely the one guy who will live a happy life.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 97
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 11:31:38 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I have a wonderful suggestion for people that dont like the show.... stop watching it and wasting time in this thread!

I find the stereotypes in The Inbetweeners ring very true. I think it's a great show. I consider 99.9% of programmes on british TV to be complete and utter garbage and that Inbetweeners is a real breath of fresh (but still familiar) air. I think it's actually the only thing I'm watching on UK TV currently.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 98
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 11:38:52 AM   
Scott_

Its a load of cock and I hate nearly every single character but still mange to find most of it funny especially whenever the massive guy who plays the headmaster appears (I forgot his name...), he's awesome.

< Message edited by Scott_ -- 16/9/2010 11:39:23 AM >

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 99
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 11:41:10 AM   
Ariclenes

Thought the first episode was rather poor compared to the first two series to be honest. Hopefully next week's will be better. 

Post #: 100
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 1:32:54 PM   
Art Vandelay

quote:

This is the probelm, though. You've simply bought into the bullshit stereo-types. As far as you're concerned the only types of teenage boys that exist are horny morons, boring geeks and knife-wielding rudeboys. This, my friend, is bullshit. No one I've ever met is anything like the characters in The Inbetweeners: No one is that two-dimensional or socially retarded. It's just generally insulting to suggest that teengers have no depth to them and are simply obsessed with sex despite knowing nothing about it (He doesn't know he has to thrust and thinks he has to move his whole body Laugh Out Loud!). On another note, the performances are dreadful and the indie-music cues at the introduction of every scene are just plain irritating since they simply re-enforce the bullshit stereo-type of modern teens as conformist, Radio1 robots. As far as I'm concerned, this show is no better than Skins or any of BBC Three's output.

Right, but you see, this is just a sitcom. It's not attempting to suggest or put forward that this is what the youth of today are like. It's simply portraying what these four fictional characters are like. There's no larger, thought-provoking message being proposed; it's just a harmless sitcom about harmless kids. And as someone mentioned before, it's not so much the activities they take part in that are so amusing but the simple "banter" that they have with each other. The way in which they verbally swing back and forth with each other reminds me a lot of growing up and is one of the most realistic portrayals of teenage friendships that I've ever seen.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

Post #: 101
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 1:41:36 PM   
Sledge Hammer

Art - would you say it was a show about nothing where none of the main characters show any growth over their arc

Check it out!

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 102
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 1:45:30 PM   
Rgirvan44

Comedy shows now need to have characters with arcs?

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 103
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 2:03:53 PM   
Sledge Hammer

that was more about Art's name - Art Vandelay was a character from Seinfeld which was billed as a sitcom about nothing where none of the characters grew from their experiences.

I personally love the Inbetweeners and was the one who started this thread!

Check it out!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 104
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 2:12:29 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

that was more about Art's name - Art Vandelay was a character from Seinfeld which was billed as a sitcom about nothing where none of the characters grew from their experiences.

I personally love the Inbetweeners and was the one who started this thread!

Ah, I have never watched Seinfeld (yes, I know...)

I can't tell who is friend or foe anymore in this thread!

Post #: 105
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 2:15:13 PM   
Sledge Hammer

looking back at my post - Art Vandelay was a pseudonym of George Costanza not a character as such. You really should check it out (from Season 4 onwards - otherwise its like Old series of friends and horribly dated).

The only gripe I can make about the inbetweeners is that the series are so short (as with all british serials).

Thats what I love about american box sets - you always get a good handful of episodes.

Check it out!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 106
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 2:40:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

He's an Architect

Everything Seimnfeld is class apart from season 1 really (which is only 6 episodes anyway). It definitely earns the title of best 'classic format' sitcom of all time though.

Inbetweeners is great, sure it's not for everyone but i think it's brilliant and if people don't like it, maybe they should just stop watching it. I don't know how some people who hate it so much, are still watching it now we're onto Series 3!!!! I dn't waste that much time watching shows i hate (let's not get into Season 6 of Lost now.....)

Post #: 107
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 3:03:53 PM   
Frank Castle

Maybe they enjoyed the 1st 2 series and hoped for more of the same, instead we a got a 1 laugh episode with the malfunction. The episode screamed of the writers trying to hard to find the magic that was seen previously but were unable to find it.
Shame it happens alot to shows when a cult following turns to more mainstream they start to believe the hype and think no matter what they show everyone will like it. I hope im proved wrong as really enjoyed series 1 and 2 but if that episode is anything to go by the inbetweeners may have jumped the shark after 12 episodes

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

Post #: 108
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 3:06:54 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Nah it was great

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 109
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 3:46:13 PM   
Hex

I think the biggest flaw was that it was the first ep.

We were expecting so much, thanks to the 99 Problems trailer, which was fantastic, and really helped the hype. But in comparison to earlier eps, it wasnt the strongest (not horrible by any means just a bit sub-par) but had it been shown maybe half way into the series possibly it would not have seemed weak.

I think the lack of Jay didnt help. The earrings thing still bothers me because it didnt ring true to the character.

However I definitely enjoyed it, but I did not find it as funny as what has come before. But thats ok because there are five more eps to go and Im positive it will get better. Plus a rumoured movie which is all kinds of amazing.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

Post #: 110
RE: The Inbetweeners - 16/9/2010 6:57:42 PM   
horribleives

quote:

He then went on to suggest that the only other possibility for a concept set during teenage years is that regarding geeks.

No I didn't, I was suggesting that a comedy about that particular type of teenage boy (I never said 'geek' either) wouldn't be half as much fun as one about crude morons.
I'll give you your other point, mind - I should have said a lot of teenage boys are idiotic/horny/whatever instead of most.
Though I still fail to see how relating to and recognising these characters equals buying into a stereotype.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 111
RE: The Inbetweeners - 17/9/2010 9:27:06 PM   
Goodfella

The first episode had it's moments but it was nothing spectacular. It was much of the same from the previous two series' and I still think it's the acting that makes this show, not the writing. It was definitely a Mr Gilbert episode though. "There's nothing funny about testicles, as you'll discover in my office tomorrow morning."

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 112
RE: The Inbetweeners - 20/9/2010 10:30:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

Hey! Look at that! Jay succeeded and Simon got a girl!

Carly is going to be jealous.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 20/9/2010 10:31:24 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 113
RE: The Inbetweeners - 20/9/2010 10:32:39 PM   
James2183

Neil is by far the best character

< Message edited by James2183 -- 20/9/2010 10:34:42 PM >

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 114
RE: The Inbetweeners - 20/9/2010 10:44:12 PM   
horribleives

One of the best episodes yet I reckon. 'I'm in a bubble and evertything's flat!'. Class.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 115
RE: The Inbetweeners - 20/9/2010 11:32:47 PM   
Sway

quote:

One of the best episodes yet I reckon. 'I'm in a bubble and evertything's flat!'. Class.

Haha, that bubble talk was killing me!

Donovan, I feel your pain buddy.  I eventually stopped posting in my own Top Gear thread because I got absolutely sick to death of those who insisted on watching it despite constantly moaning about the scripted element of it.  And then they continued to post their moans about it week after week.  

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 116
RE: The Inbetweeners - 21/9/2010 1:34:24 AM   
Spider

quote:

Funny how opinions differ. I thought that episode was absolutely appalling, and I'm seriously worrying about any future Inbetweeners now. The banter between the boys seems to have been completely lost, it not just seems completely forced. The bit where the girl puked before kissing Simon was like a Series 1 moment which felt completely out of place because it was surrounded by such a lot of nonsense. Seriously disappointing.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

Post #: 117
RE: The Inbetweeners - 21/9/2010 1:47:03 AM   
spamandham

"So have you been to many gigs?"

"Yeah, I went to see take that with my mum once"

Oh the humanity.

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 118
RE: The Inbetweeners - 21/9/2010 1:47:33 AM   
spamandham

Oh and this show is still fucking funny. 

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 119
RE: The Inbetweeners - 21/9/2010 9:35:53 AM   
Sledge Hammer

I am with Spider - not the greatest episode but still very amusing.

What I am begining to find is that its all the supporting cast that are the ones involved in the best scenes.

Last week, it was the kidney kid and Mr Gilbert. this week, it was Simons dad and wills mum (who is sooooo hot!)

Check it out!

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Inbetweeners Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI