Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 21/8/2012 3:49:27 AM   
max314

RIP Tony.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 61
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 21/8/2012 9:38:03 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Yes he is. He's made some really entertaining film's over the years. I remember the thrill I got when I first watched True Romance as a 13 year old school boy...i say school boy because we watched it at school and it was our teacher who made us watch it! (this was the film which introudced me to the brilliant Gary Oldman!)

You can argue the majority of his film's are no brainer action fares, but they're still enjoyable fares. And his technical mastery of film and eye for detail (like his brother Ridley) cannot be questioned.

A sad loss indeed.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 62
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 21/8/2012 11:39:54 AM   
superdan

It's hard to imagine he made The Hunger and followed it up with Top Gun. The two films couldn't be more different, and you could argue that the mauling The Hunger got perhaps influenced his style from then on. For me, his kinetic style helped define the action movie (he was almost like a proto-Bay, but far superior), and while not everyone will like his films, his ability as a director was clear imo.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 63
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 21/8/2012 4:19:53 PM   
Discodez

No question he was a good director, whether you liked the type of films he made is a different question all together.

RIP indeed.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 64
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 21/8/2012 7:41:24 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Yeah he was a good director while his bro's a great director. Top Gun's his best movie and looking back at all the films of his I've seen I can honestly say I never got bored watching a Tony Scott movie. RIP.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 65
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 21/8/2012 7:54:17 PM   
Rhubarb

All the people saying they never got bored watching his films must have missed The Taking of the Pelham 123.

I was quite harsh on Scott in this thread (Four years ago! Nicely done Shool.) and I am not going to sit back and venerate him now, esp as since then he has made Pelham 123. But on the other hand Unstoppable was enjoyable enough, and I do like True Romance and Last Boy Scout. But I still find the idea of a thread going on about how great he was a bit weird to be honest.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 66
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 21/8/2012 8:54:41 PM   
MonsterCat

Yes, Pelham 123 wasn't very good. And Domino is one of the worst films I have seen.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 67
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 21/8/2012 9:19:34 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb
But I still find the idea of a thread going on about how great he was a bit weird to be honest.

Most of the commenters seem to be genuine aficionados of his work though - it's no different than when any other well-known directors die, perhaps just heightened by the extreme circumstances of his death.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 68
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI