Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 11/4/2009 1:02:10 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyPottr

Well Deviation, I always enjoy Michael Bay movies, how can Jerry Bruckheimer have a visual style he's a producer, not a director. Although I like Jerry Bruckheimer a lot. So in other words Transformers visual style sucks? I thought the effects were amazing, and Bad Boys sucks? The Rock sucks? those are all just fun movies. Bay's come pretty far considering he was once an EXTRA on an episode of Miami Vice.

Yep, they suck, thing is Bay's visuals or quirks seem to be common in many Bruckhiemer produced films. As if the producer is commanding them. Transformers does look nice in its CGI, but cinematography is awful and camerawork makes it possible to see absolutely nothing clear. Bad Boys was a forgettable bore and The Rock was his best film, it is just mildly entertaining and is just a Die Hard rip-off.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 31
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 11/4/2009 1:09:48 PM   
Tech_Noir

I read High Concept a while back and Tony Scott comes across as just as sleazy as Don Simpson.

But he did have a generous side, he paid for the boob jobs wannabe starlets needed.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 32
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 11/4/2009 1:19:15 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I read High Concept a while back and Tony Scott comes across as just as sleazy as Don Simpson.

But he did have a generous side, he paid for the boob jobs wannabe starlets needed.

Oh well, we can always trust the other Scott..........

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 33
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 11/4/2009 1:24:01 PM   
Tech_Noir

What is that man doing to Tony?

I see Don is already preparing himself.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 34
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 11/4/2009 1:34:25 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

What is that man doing to Tony?

I see Don is already preparing himself.

Who, all I see is a white box with an X inside.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 35
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 11/4/2009 1:39:12 PM   
Tech_Noir

No one can see this hilarious pic??

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 36
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 11/4/2009 7:35:15 PM   
sanchia

Is it a naked man with a bandana and a man in a race car outfit covering his jewels?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 37
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 11/4/2009 7:42:00 PM   
Tech_Noir

Kinda.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 38
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 13/4/2009 7:06:21 AM   
JoeyPottr

Deviation, every action movie is basically a rip off of Die Hard. I don't know but I thought Domino was an unconventional wild ride, of course Mickey Rourke's in it so that never hurts. I do agree the Ridley is the better filmmaker by far. He doesn't have those 360 camera spins and tweaks.

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 39
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 13/4/2009 7:05:32 PM   
Mr Terrific

Yes..Last Boy Scout...I rest my case.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 40
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 13/4/2009 7:21:45 PM   
Tech_Noir

I liked Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop 2 and True Romance.

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 41
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 17/4/2009 5:17:15 PM   
shool

I like Tony Scotts films. ALOT.

True Romance
Last boy scout
Crimson Tide
enemy of the state
spy Game
Man on fire
Deja Vu

I all enjoyed immensly. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

I am looking forward to Pelham 1 2 3 very much.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 42
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 17/4/2009 7:46:52 PM   
somekindof_battery

Top Gun has a lot of camp novelty value, although i seriously doubt Tony Scott intended it to be there. I don't think much of his films at all though i've yet to see True Romance which everyone speaks highly of.

I'm far more interested in checking out the original Taking of Pelham 123 as opposed to The Phoning in of Pelham 123 (face it, from the trailer alone you know Travolta and Washington don't look like they're bringing much. Travolta doing his crazy villain he did in broken arrow and face/off and Denzil doing his usual "i'm a good man pushed to the edge and running out of time" routine from most of his films)

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 43
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 12/7/2009 11:17:09 AM   
Rory_Breaker

he has done many very good  movies (e.g. Enemy of the state, man on fire, deja vu) and i think he is a good film maker :)

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 44
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 12/7/2009 11:56:29 AM   
Dr Lenera

I think he's average,his films are usually quite entertaining and he certainly has a good eye,but I find them pretty forgettable afterwards. I saw Top Gun [which I loved as a teenager] recently and thought it was pretty awful,and I think Man On Fire had great potential but was almost sabotaged by the idiotic editing etc. Generally they're reasonable though. My favourite of his films is the one on one seems to mention-The Hunger,an extremely slow but quite beautifully stylized vampire flick,I like it's feel and look,which is both chic and decrepit.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Rory_Breaker)
Post #: 45
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 12/7/2009 6:45:57 PM   
greenwood11491

Tony Scott is fucking awful.

Apart from true romance.

"Even Oedipus didn't see his mother coming".

"You have failed us Torgo. For this you must die".

"Shomer shabbos!"

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 46
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 4/11/2009 9:33:52 PM   
TheSpleen

Yes he is a good film maker. Hope that clears it up.

(in reply to greenwood11491)
Post #: 47
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 13/11/2009 6:17:05 PM   
boristhespie

I tried watching Taking of Pelham but couldn't take it. The jump cuttting, the stylised shite he began in Domino really gets on my moobs.

Badges, We don' need no stinking badgees.

(in reply to TheSpleen)
Post #: 48
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 14/11/2009 11:06:12 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: boristhespie

I tried watching Taking of Pelham but couldn't take it. The jump cuttting, the stylised shite he began in Domino really gets on my moobs.

You should have stuck with it. Pelham 123 was one of his most restrained films in terms of editing.

I liked it. But then I like Tony's films.

Speaking of which, I watched 'Revenge' the other day. I liked that too. Apart from the dog getting blown away with a shotgun.

(in reply to boristhespie)
Post #: 49
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 17/11/2009 11:07:21 AM   
Haiku

I came across a recent review of Scott's Taking Of Pelham 123 remake, and I couldn't help but find myself agreeing with most of it. I don't think it's a coincidence that the one recent Tony Scott film I find completely unwatchable is the one without Denzel in it (DOMINO). Here is the review anyway:

THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3: It's All Denzel

Director Tony Scott ought to put up statue to Denzel Washington in his sculpture garden, then pray to it at least three times a day to express his gratitude for the way the actor saves his cinematic ass time and time again. Because Den-ZEL, the excellent Den-ZEL is way, way too good for Tony Scott. He shouldn't be spending his time and talent grounding Tony Scott's nonsense in reality. But he keeps doing it. Man On Fire, Deja Vu and now the remake of The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3

You know how you can always tell a Tony Scott film by it's pointless attempts to be modern and urban and noirish with the lurid cityscape shots and montages and people walking hereCUT and thereCUT and standing in doorwaysSMASH CUT FLARE TO WHITEand dizzying 360 degree pans around people who are sitting there not doing a damn thing but maybe talking on the phone, but it's supposed to show how crazy and disconnected everything is now, all the while the soundtrack is going CHOOKA-CHOOKA-CHOOKA.

The overall effect is like a Grandpa trying out the latest hip-hop moves. Amusing for a little while, then embarrasing, then unbearable when he refuses to stop. Because Tony Scott doesn't actually have a strong feling for modern urban life, it seems to me, beyond what he might have read somewhere. He knows it's supposed to be fast and dangerous, high-tech and alienting, but he never seems to come up wih a non generic representation of that. The New York City he gives us in Pelham is an amazingly bland EveryCity, and the critics are screaming about what a travesty that is, when the first film version was such a specific portrait of a grubby, run down, near bankrupt early- 70's NYC.

But right there in the middle of all that Scottian Phonus Balonus, is Denzel Washington aka Believable Man. "Don't worry Tony, I got this", I imagine him saying as he sits down at the subway transit display board and pretends to be an overweight, bespectacled, browbeaten, working class guy wearing a hideous sweater vest, named Walter Garber. You buy the whole thing, even the sweater vest. And gradually, this plausibility spreads out from the actor's anxious eyes and tooo soft go along, to get along voice, and you start to believe all sorts of surrounding crap. You even feel an intermittent sense of suspense. Because of D.Washington, you're somehow able to endure the bad action scenes: the police car that doesn't just crash like speding cars do, it rolls over and over in a show-offy crash-tacular, and the street shootout that's so lamely staged it looks like a circular firing squad doing one disasterous test run.

Beats me how he does it. Den-ZEL.

...but to be fair, the new Tony Scott version has Den-ZEL. And he can sell anything. At the end Tuturro's character literally salutes him, from a helicopter yet, this being a Tony Scott film loaded with inane expensive junk that makes you cringe, and you have to admit, he deserves it. Carried the whole load on his back, he did! Denzel Washington, American hero! Now somebody reward him with a good film.

full review at;

http://exiledonline.com/the-taking-of-pelham-123-its-all-denzel/

< Message edited by Haiku -- 17/11/2009 11:12:46 AM >

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 50
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 17/11/2009 3:27:09 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haiku

http://exiledonline.com/the-taking-of-pelham-123-its-all-denzel/

Pfft this one made me laugh: http://exiledonline.com/a-serious-film/#more-13603

As Bricktop would say, 'take your tongue out of my arse, Gary'

(in reply to Haiku)
Post #: 51
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 2/1/2010 6:28:17 AM   
jedi fu

I'd like to see him do a re-boot of Sinbad with production and effects by WETA. That would be great and hilarious!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 52
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 8/1/2010 11:13:53 PM   
davidjthomson

Tony Scott has made good films, but he's sometimes let down by the quality of the scripts he chooses.

DOMINO and MAN ON FIRE are prime examples of that.

Consider these against TRUE ROMANCE, CRIMSON TIDE, ENEMY OF THE STATE, which were excellent movies with stories and scipts that were of a high class.

It's unfair to compare him to his brother, although it should be noted that Ridley has directed a few stinkers: HANNIBAL anyone?

The biggest complaint i have is the way some of his female characters appear on screen. With the exception of Alabama in TRUE ROMANCE, they seem to be very one-dimensional. LAST BOY SCOUT, as much as i enjoyed the film has some very overt mysoginism. BEVERLY HILLS COP 2 also suffers this way. I'm not one for bleating about sexual equality, but let's have some parity.

I would, however, like to see Shane Black write a sequel to THE LAST BOY SCOUT.

Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 53
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 9/1/2010 12:11:34 AM   
UTB

I thought Man on Fire had a great script, apart from Christopher Walken's dialogue (most of which was improvised).

I have a soft spot for Tony Scott. I know lots of people think he's lowest common denominator, but hand on heart I'd rather see 5 Tony films for every one of Ridley's, stick that in Unpopular Opinions if you must.

I love Tony's filmmaking process, the research that goes into each film, the love of each film's subject (as is evident from his audio commentaries). I love the fact that he ignores the critics and makes (what I consider to be) entertaining films. Others may disagree as they always do, but you can count me in on anything he does.

(in reply to davidjthomson)
Post #: 54
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 9/1/2010 9:40:44 AM   
sanchia

Recently his style seems to have altered to make his films almost unwatchable. The jump cuts and abrupt close ups and heavy filter work of Domino made it unwatchable. I gave up 40 minutes in as it was giving me a headache.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 55
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 11/1/2010 9:47:01 AM   
shool

Man on Fire was great.

I really like the majority of Tony Scotts films. I've not seen Domino as I've heard its awful.

[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 56
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 11/1/2010 6:24:38 PM   
sanchia

Indeed it is.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 57
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 20/8/2012 9:00:29 PM   
Sledge Hammer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

Tony is truly a great and doesnt get any where near as much recognition as he deserves.

Action movies tend to get looked down upon from serious cinema goers - if it doesnt have some fading star, reinventing themselves or some serious social subtext some films are largely ignored (okay, so widespread sweeping statement there).

Action films are a hard thing to do, just as comedies, drama, thrillers, period dramas and arthouse. In the realm of the actioner, there are few who can hold a candle to Mr Scott (Tony before there is any confusion).

as one poster said - I look forward to Tony's films but dont really anticiapte the next Ridley offering...

After the sad news today, I thought I would search for some old Tony threads - my thoughts from this thread still hold true.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 58
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 20/8/2012 9:10:42 PM   
directorscut

For most of his career he was a solid, workman like filmmaker, never in the league of his brother. He always seemed to make the "inferior version". Beverly Hills Cop II was the inferior version of Beverly Hills Cop. True Romance was the inferior version of Badlands. Crimson Tide was the inferior version of The Hunt for Red October. Even Days of Thunder was the inferior version of of own Top Gun.

But his Man on Fire - Domino period of shaky-cam and split second cuts was truly horrendous.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Sledge Hammer)
Post #: 59
RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? - 20/8/2012 9:12:27 PM   
shool

RIP Tony.

I have always been a big fan of his films even though many on this forum werent.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> RE: Is Tony Scott a good film maker? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI