Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Short films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Short films Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Short films - 1/12/2008 5:46:29 PM   
TRM

To mark my 1000 post, i thought i would start a new thread

Since some of the lists on the forum (JBG and Rawlinson are the two i remember) have started to contain short films, i decided it would be a good thing if we had a place to talk about our favourite short films. I know its not really a different genre, but they do tend to get neglected a little bit when people are making a top howevermany list. So to start things off, i thought i would give you two of my favourite short films from the last few months.

Blood of the beasts (Franju, 1949, 20 mins) - I only watched this yesterday, but its already made quite an impression on me. The film, is a short documentary on what actually happens within a slaughterhouse within Paris. The film shows in detail (at no point does it hold back) how various animals are killed (Cows, sheep, lambs, horses) and talks about why they are killed in this way (which most of the time, seems unbelievably brutal). This short really isn't going to be for everyone, and is really shocking to see. The film can be seen on youtube.

Presto (Sweetland, 2008, 5 mins) - Currently my favourite Pixar short. The film folows an on stage magician who's main trick is pulling a rabbit out of his hat. However, on this occasion the rabbit is refusing to go on stage because he is hungry and wants the carrot the magician keeps waving in his face.

I don't mind saying that my knowledge of short films is quite limited, so i was hoping that this would be a good place to pick up some recommendations.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.
Post #: 1
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 5:56:51 PM   
Rhubarb

Oh, Christ. Well, I do have a certain affection for short films, particularly in the silent era. The sheer amount of brilliant Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and Harry Lloyd shorts is absolutely absurd. But I'll try and rattle off the ones that come to mind. Well done on the big 1k btw.

Buster:

Everyone (should) knows I have a real affection for Buster Keaton, check my top 10 linked in my signature if you don't believe me. Anyway, here's a bunch of Buster Keaton shorts I would reccomend, in order that they occur to me, most can be found on the Tube of You.

Neighbors
One Week
The Goat
The Haunted House
The Paleface
The High Sign
The Butcher Boy
The Scarecrow
The Ballonatic
Cops

Sir Charles Charlie Chaplin

One Am
His New Job
The Janitor
Easy Street
The Count
A Dog's Life
His Favourite Pastime
The Fireman
In the Park

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 2
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 6:01:57 PM   
TRM

Yeah i realise that there is a stupid amount of films which can be talked about. I was actually just about to write a little bit about some of those Keaton shorts

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 3
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 6:03:14 PM   
Rhubarb

I do think Buster was the master of getting as many laughs as possible out of 20 minutes.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 7:17:47 PM   
jamesbondguy

I've always seen the short film medium as being one where a director can truly exercise his style without the constraints that come with traditional, mainstream feature film-making. It's actually a very rich medium, especially when it comes to animation, with Svankmajer, The Quay's, Russian Animaters and Norman McLaren (The Neighbours is great) etc. The best short I have seen recently is Eric Rohmer's Bakery Girl of Monceau, which kicked off his Moral Tales series. It was a bit scrappy in places, but it had a real immediancy and freshness about it that was so refreshing- and it's nice to see a film where the director is not afraid to puncture and destroy our misconceptions about a character within 30 seconds. Great stuff. All the short films in my top 100 thread are available on youtube, so if you get a chance you should check them out.

And nice work on the Franju film- I've been meaning to check his work out for a while (Judex sounds superb), but I think Blood of The Beasts would make me feel a bit sick.

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 5
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 7:27:40 PM   
Rhubarb

I think I saw Blood of the Beasts in education somewhere, either college or uni, cos it rings a bell. I remember everyone being quite repulsed at some scenes.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 6
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 7:31:13 PM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy
All the short films in my top 100 thread are available on youtube, so if you get a chance you should check them out.

Will do JBG.  I have already seen La jetee which i watched a few months ago. I have never been the biggest fan of 12 monkee's, so i dont think the story ever really grabbed me in this either. But i admired the story telling technique. I dont remember reading about any other short films in your list though. Although i will check out some more russian animation shorts at some time from your heroes of cinema thread (what happened to all these ).

Post #: 7
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 7:42:11 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

quote:

All the short films in my top 100 thread are available on youtube, so if you get a chance you should check them out.

I dont remember reading about any other short films in your list though. Although i will check out some more russian animation shorts at some time from your heroes of cinema thread (what happened to all these ).

Off the top of my head, I've also had a Svankmajer short and All the Boys are Called Patrick (Godard). I know both of those are on youtube, well worth checking out.

And the Heroes of Cinema thing will probably start up again soon- I've been too busy to do a lot of writing recently. (As Swords will tell you, seeing as how I have yet to post my Grave of The Fireflies review!) But I think the top 100 is more important than the Heroes thing, seeing how long it's been dragging on for, and how few reviews I've actually posted.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 8
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 7:48:10 PM   
TRM

quote:

quote:

quote:

I dont remember reading about any other short films in your list though. Although i will check out some more russian animation shorts at some time from your heroes of cinema thread (what happened to all these ).

Off the top of my head, I've also had a Svankmajer short and All the Boys are Called Patrick (Godard). I know both of those are on youtube, well worth checking out.

And the Heroes of Cinema thing will probably start up again soon- I've been too busy to do a lot of writing recently. (As Swords will tell you, seeing as how I have yet to post my Grave of The Fireflies review!) But I think the top 100 is more important than the Heroes thing, seeing how long it's been dragging on for, and how few reviews I've actually posted.

ah ok. I just assumed all the boys are called patrick was a feature length (this is what happens when i dont read reviews until after seeing the films ). Your right though, it is going pretty slowly. If i remember correctly, it started in September and you havent reached 10 films yet .

Post #: 9
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 9:33:42 PM   
swordsandsandals

La jetee is the only one I'm familiar with.

However I do remember seeing a spectacular short film that I've never heard about since, called Most (it's swedish or something for bridge I think) about a man showing his son his job working as a bridge controller. Simply amazing.

Oh, and JBG, I'm glad you haven't forgotten about the Ghibli thread!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 10
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 9:48:41 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I certainly haven't! Much of my delay has come from my reluctance to watch Grave of the Fireflies again- for reasons other people who have seen it can probably understand. On that note, have you seen it yet Swords? But anyway, I will have the review up sometime soon- I'll probably sit down with the film this weekend sometime.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 11
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 9:51:14 PM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

Most (it's swedish or something for bridge I think)

Um, not so sure about that.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

Post #: 12
RE: Short films - 1/12/2008 10:22:04 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

quote:

I certainly haven't! Much of my delay has come from my reluctance to watch Grave of the Fireflies again- for reasons other people who have seen it can probably understand. On that note, have you seen it yet Swords? But anyway, I will have the review up sometime soon- I'll probably sit down with the film this weekend sometime.

Nope I still have it waiting to watch. I shou;da watched it tonight but ended up watching Avatar; The Last airbender. Not quite the same, but still surprisingly good.

And Most is Czech for bridge. Czech/Swedish you can see why I got mixed up.

Can't you??

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 13
RE: Short films - 2/12/2008 1:35:13 AM   
TRM

I hadn't even heard of 'Most' before, so thanks for that swords. I did a quick search on youtube and couldn't find it, but heres the link for it on another website with English subs - http://rutube.ru/tracks/1029923.html

I have just finished watching it and it is pretty incredible. There seems to be quite a few little things which are unanswered within the film which is a shame and so it did feel like it needed to be fleshed out a little bit. But it comes highly recommended from me. 10/10. I really need to watch some less emotionally draining movies for a few days now i think.

Post #: 14
RE: Short films - 2/12/2008 8:37:29 PM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

But it comes highly recommended from me. 10/10. I really need to watch some less emotionally draining movies for a few days now i think.

Cough, All the Boys Are Called Patrick, cough.  Seriously, I'll pimp this film as much as possible. It's got a script by Rohmer and it's directed by Godard! It doesn't get much better than that! It's fast, witty, funny and very entertaining. Watch it! Watch it!

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 15
RE: Short films - 2/12/2008 9:44:32 PM   
TRM

ok ok, ill give it a go

Post #: 16
RE: Short films - 2/12/2008 9:52:19 PM   
Rhubarb

It is quite funny.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 17
Re: Short films - 2/12/2008 10:54:23 PM   
TRM

Right, i have just watched it. For a short, it seemed to take a fair while to get going (about 5 mins), but after that it was brilliant. I think my favourite part was when Patrick was talking Veronique, and he realised the two girls lived together. Obviously he doesn't stop himself though  9/10

"Your tastes improving"

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 18
RE: Re: Short films - 3/12/2008 11:41:42 AM   
jamesbondguy

quote:

Right, i have just watched it. For a short, it seemed to take a fair while to get going (about 5 mins), but after that it was brilliant. I think my favourite part was when Patrick was talking Veronique, and he realised the two girls lived together. Obviously he doesn't stop himself though  9/10

Score!  Brialy is actually hilarious in it, one of my favourite performances in a short film.

I hope this thread keeps going, it could be a great way of discovering and sharing the best short films.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 19
RE: Re: Short films - 3/12/2008 1:33:46 PM   
TRM

Well i have started to go through some of the films in the IMDB top 50 shorts.

Ilha das flores (Island of flowers, 1989, 13 mins) - It seems to be really highly rated on there, but i just can't see why. Its a film which follows the life of a tomato from where it starts at the store and how it finishes up in the garbage dump on the island of flowers. Ok so thats a simplistic view of the film, but it summed up how i felt about it. Its more about money and the occupants on the island of flowers are actually not treated even as well as the pigs on the island. 6/10. For anyone who wants to view it (like i said, it is quite popular on there, so dont believe my low score ) Heres the link with english subs http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8708446201833554343&hl=en

One froggy evening (Jones, 1955, 7 mins) - This is a looney tunes short about a man who finds a singing frog when he is removing the last building blocks of a derelict building. He tries to exploit the frog publicly, but the frog won't sing in front of anyone except his new owner. It may not be the best looney tunes film, but its well worth a watch. 8/10 (on youtube).

Post #: 20
RE: Short films - 3/12/2008 1:46:29 PM   
elab49

I didn't realise they had a top list. Wonderful to see those gorgeous Winnie the Pooh ones so high. Presto is inevitable, I guess. Key to Reserva is self-indulgent tosh.

Taking the lead from Homer's column in Cult, Music Box is one of the DVDs I've giving to my nephew this Xmas. As he isn't going to grow up with Laurel and Hardy on Saturday morning BBC2, I'll have to try another way to expand his viewing horizons.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 21
RE: Short films - 3/12/2008 4:51:03 PM   
Jasiri

Great idea for a thread,couple that spring to mind are Meshes in the Afternoon (1943, Maya Deren & Alexander Hammid) and Film (1965,Alan Schneider) the latter featuring the great Buster Keaton.Sure both will be on youtube.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
RE: Short films - 4/12/2008 2:09:55 AM   
TRM

I managed to catch a few more today (obviously at the expense of watching a feature length, but im not too worried at the moment )

The rabbit of Seville - 8/10

More (Osborne, 1998, 6 mins) - 8/10

Kiwi 6/10 - Looks wise, this shares a lot of similarities with some of Pixars earlier works. The film is a bout a Kiwi which does everything it can to achieve its ambition of being able to fly. Well worth a watch and its only 3 mins long.

Cashback - 8/10 - I didn't realise until today that there was a short before the feature length. What we have here is a very polished short which deals with how the workers of the night shift at Sainsbury's manage to individually cope with what is a very boring 8 hours. The onyl real problem with the film is that it does go overboard on the nudity.

10 minutes - 10/10 - If this is anything to go by, then Ahmed Imamovic is a real talent to look out for. This film shows how 10 minutes can seem completely insignificant to one persons life, but can completely change someone else's. As with all these shorts i would prefer to not really give too much away, so just go give it a viewing. It is only 10 minutes long afterall.  btw, has any seen Imamovic's debut, Go west?

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 23
RE: Short films - 4/12/2008 2:24:28 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Kiwi 6/10 - Looks wise, this shares a lot of similarities with some of Pixars earlier works. The film is a bout a Kiwi which does everything it can to achieve its ambition of being able to fly. Well worth a watch and its only 3 mins long.

I love that one. It's got such a bittersweet ending, really quite something.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 24
RE: Re: Short films - 4/12/2008 12:15:15 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

One froggy evening (Jones, 1955, 7 mins) - This is a looney tunes short about a man who finds a singing frog when he is removing the last building blocks of a derelict building. He tries to exploit the frog publicly, but the frog won't sing in front of anyone except his new owner. It may not be the best looney tunes film, but its well worth a watch. 8/10 (on youtube).

Michigan J. From was a childhood hero of mine! This was voted the 5th best American animated short in a book that came out in 1994, chosen by 1000 animators. A very good read it is as well. Not seen the cartoon in years though.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 25
RE: Re: Short films - 4/12/2008 11:12:13 PM   
TRM

PA - I felt pretty choked up when i saw the tear

Gimli - Whats the book called Gimli? Sounds like it might be worth picking up. And, what else finished in the top 5?

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 26
RE: Re: Short films - 4/12/2008 11:56:23 PM   
rawlinson

I think Gimli's talking about the 50 Greatest Cartoons: As Selected By 1000 Animation Professionals. I'm pretty sure it's out of print now, when I got mine I had to go through Amazon Marketplace, but that was a few years ago so it could be easily available now. The top five were

1. What's Opera, Doc?
2. Duck Amuck
3. The Band Concert
4. Duck Dodgers
5. One Froggy Evening

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 27
RE: Re: Short films - 5/12/2008 1:46:42 AM   
Rhubarb

What's Opera Doc is amazing, but I'm a big Baseball Bugs man myself.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 28
RE: Re: Short films - 5/12/2008 5:25:05 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I think Gimli's talking about the 50 Greatest Cartoons: As Selected By 1000 Animation Professionals.

That's the one!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29
RE: Re: Short films - 5/12/2008 11:51:48 AM   
TRM

Ah ok. I have seen that list online somewhere, so i have noted them all down to watch

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Short films Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI