Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - 1/12/2008 1:33:42 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 1/12/2008 1:33:42 PM   
kumar

It follows in the same vein as the first one- ie not a masterpiece, but almost entertaining throughout. Good, goofy fun, i think ill be seeing this again :)

3 stars is about right

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Escape from the movie - 5/12/2008 5:31:22 PM   
kittybinks

A slighter effort from the first movie. Too heavy on sentimentality, too light on gags! Ben Stiller's character seems to have hijacked the movie and turned it into an animated soap. Why relegate the penguins(by far the funniest things in the first movie) and even the lemurs were underused! Less making the movie by committee. Could try harder

Post #: 3
- 7/12/2008 9:19:34 PM   
captain jack harknes

I got confused - this may have made more sense had I seen the first one but - one minute they were on a boat that was missing then the next they were surrounded by animals somewhere and had a plane??? Other than that I really enjoyed it - lots of laughs; I particularly liked the "thanks Darwin" comment from the penguin when talking about his lack of thumbs!!!!! :)

Post #: 4
Wet pants! - 8/12/2008 4:59:15 PM   
fraser1978

Saw it last night and pissed myself!!

Post #: 5
Wet pants! - 8/12/2008 4:59:23 PM   
fraser1978

Saw it last night and pissed myself!!

Post #: 6
RE: Wet pants! - 10/12/2008 3:06:05 PM   
Paul2j

Very amusing - King Julian is ridiculously funny. A lot of common themes borrowed from the Lion King, but it's a fun way to spend 90 minutes - and that's all it is ever going to be.

7/10

(in reply to fraser1978)
Post #: 7
RE: Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - 10/12/2008 6:31:07 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

One of the best movies of 2008.

10/10

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

Post #: 8
- 14/12/2008 9:50:28 AM   
THE DALTONATOR

once again the penguins, monkeys and sacha baron cohen steal the show from the main chracters boring, unfunny and unoriginal subplots.

Post #: 9
Beg to differ... too many lemurs! - 15/12/2008 12:23:33 PM   
tanchalluno

I just don't find the lemurs at all funny... If anything you should write them out entirely and then you'd have more space for the penguins, which would be ideal!

As a whole though, not great...

Post #: 10
'Its more fun if you raise your arms like this' - 3/1/2009 4:35:49 PM   
Ruairt

I went to see Madagascar this morning and i loved ever minute of it. Well almost every minute of it. To be honest I find the four main characters knid of boring. On the other hand I absolutely love Sacha Baron Cohens King Juliene. Its a hard call to pick which is funnier, King Julienne or the Penguins. Each have their own style and amazing gags. I couldn't help laughing at the monkey strike or Julienne's attempt to sacrafice David Schwimmer (we've all dreamt about it). I think if the main characters were even half as funny as the penguins and julienne it would have been a comedy classic. Best line of the film 'Lets hurry before we all come to our senses.

Post #: 11
Good Cartoon Sequel. - 20/4/2009 2:08:05 PM   
joanna likes films

After seeing the first Madagascar, I wondered if there would be a sequel and so they did which I rented out to see if it would be a good enough one. This time, the gang crash land in Africa while trying to go back to New York. Alex finds his long lost parents, Marty has a lot of friends that sound and look the same while Gloria finds a love intrest leaving Marvin in the dark of his feelings to her. Yes, there isn't a lot of laughs and there is a lot of new characters that don't have time to shine but the monkeys are genius and the penguins are great too. The cartoon drawings are outstanding on my ps3, the brightness took my breath away. So while it didn't beat the first, it's still good fun for all ages and a worthy three stars added.

Post #: 12
Better than the first one - 10/4/2010 9:27:38 PM   
Francis46

Just saw this on Sky Movies. Very well done and more entertaining than the first one that suffered a bit from a weak last third. This one is just a great laugh with gags for young and old. Its the little details that play off the already well fleshed out characters that make this film very enjoyable. In contrast to other reviews here, I thought that the penguins, apes, King Julian and Co were all spot on. I never thought I'd hear a Barry Manilow soundtrack during a Dam Busters type scene though! Top stuff.

< Message edited by Francis46 -- 10/4/2010 9:29:28 PM >

Post #: 13
King Julien Needs his Own Film! - 28/4/2010 1:57:00 PM   
Pezbury

Much funnier than the first film. Although I didn't find the humans necessary. Especially the old lady - very annoying.

The penguins are brilliant!

But it's King Julien who stands out for me. Wish there had been more of him. He has me in stitches. His lines are delivered perfectly!

Funniest line of the film for me... When King Julien explains that they need a sacrifice to the Volcano to get the water back: "Hurry up before we all come to our senses!"

Post #: 14
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - 2/1/2012 10:06:27 PM   
the film man

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa is an improvement on the original, with more fleshed-out characters, crisper animation and more consistent humor.

Post #: 15
RE: Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - 21/10/2012 6:03:24 AM   
Phubbs

Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008)

All the characters are back and all are voiced by the same stars as before so continuity is a go for launch. Starting life as a prequel we get a brief glimpse at the main characters when they were very young in the zoo and how 'Alex' got there.

From there we are back on Madagascar as the mammal team prepare to leave in their homemade plane back to New York. On route the plane crashes in Africa where they all experience the real wild of their dreams and 'Alex' finds his family.

This sequel is a much better story and better executed if you ask me. The idea of seeing how 'Alex' got stuck in the zoo and then accidentally gets back with his family again is a neat idea. The film is still a mix of off the wall madness, emotion and realism in the form of visuals but its a much tighter plot with better visual gags and better characters. Gone are most of the lemurs thank god.

Alas we still have to put up with the Indian accented lemur leader who is painfully unfunny still but we also have some good new additions. Alec Baldwin as 'Makunga' is a really well designed bad guy or creep. Definitely made to look a bit like Baldwin with the thick glossy hair and slick sneering appearance hehe all the background animals actually add to the fun also, especially the fun idea of all the zebras being identical in every way and all the giraffes being hypochondriacs.

The old lady makes a reappearance I'm afraid, this time even more outlandish than before. Not just kicking animals in the nuts but having martial arts fights with them now and eventually becoming some kind of evil force against all the animals, pretty bad idea methinks.

Animation is still the same style of course but its all sharper and more fluid with some stunning African backgrounds and water work. The whole film feels much brighter, bolder, colourful and more enjoyable than the previous which seemed a bit drab. Still have some dreadful hip hop musical intrusions again, these seem to be a must for modern youth, gotta have plenty of hip hop pop culture in there. Incidentally the hip hop tune 'I Like to Move It' sung by all the lemurs in the first film seems to have become the franchises theme tune as we get it again here...facepalm.

Everything has been improved (almost) and we have a better film. Kinda feels like 'The Lion King' but with much added lunacy and those cool penguins, the film wouldn't be half as good without those flightless little birds.

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI