Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 29/8/2009 10:11:24 PM   
Gizmo 76

I'm 27% in so far, and I've really really enjoyed the game so far....

It's a refreshing take on a superhero type game, not your usual standard punch and shoot affair.... The atmosphere and production values of the game are superb, pleasing your comic book fans, and nice little touches linking the game to the new film world as well.

I don't want to discuss too much of the game as it might spoil for others, but there is a recurring happening that is SO well done, and some the big encounters with other characters have been great.

I'm really enjoying the combat engine as well, cracking fun linking 30+ combos together taking out a whole group of guys without them getting a hit in.

So far i've upgraded my batarangs up to 3, notched up my body armour a bit, and then tweaked a toy you get a bit later in the game, oh and the inverted takedown

Looking forward to getting back on the game next...

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 151
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 30/8/2009 8:17:16 AM   
Diggler

I'm about 10% in and so far I think the best combo I've done is 10. I don't think I've met enough thugs in one encounter to get even close to a 30 combo yet - either that or I'm just not very good!

I agree with something Bumfluff said earlier about constantly walking around in detective mode. Since about the first 5 minutes I've never had it turned off for fear of missing a clue. Is anyone else finding this or am I just being far too Miss Marpley??

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 152
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 30/8/2009 2:07:49 PM   
From_Hell

Yeah, I'm finding the same thing - that I'm constantly walking around in detective mode for fear of missing something. It's a shame because the graphics are very very good.

I keep seeing those little grill/grate things you can climb through in really inacessable places. Can you return to them later when you've got some kind of upgrade that allows you to get to them, or am I missing a trick?

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 153
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 30/8/2009 2:15:33 PM   
Epiphany Demon

You get a Batclaw later on, From_Hell.

I'm about 25% in as well (including challenges and Riddler trophies) and am absolutely loving it. It's just a brilliant game, and it would be even without the license; that just makes it a little more awesome. The Joker Challenge maps, the Scarecrow sections, the fighting, the presentation.... it's all brilliant

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 154
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 30/8/2009 5:51:16 PM   
From_Hell

Ah, thanks for the heads up Epiphany Demon, much appreciated....

While playing the game a thought occurred to me......... It would be great if they copied some of the general gameplay mechanics from Batman - Arkham Asylum, but set it somewhere suitably dusty and made a new Indiana Jones game....

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 155
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 30/8/2009 7:38:08 PM   
fletch666

30% through so far and very impressive so far. The Scarecrow sequences are immense and the little nods to the Villains that aren't in the game through the Riddler Challenges are a nice touch. The voice acting is spot on and glad they went with the Conroy and Hamill as whilst Bale is good, his growl would have got a touch grating after a while

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 156
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 30/8/2009 7:52:37 PM   
Diggler

I'm 20% in so far and loving it.

I was looking forward to this and Ghostbusters this year and whilst Ghostbusters was disappointing, this is far from it. I also noticed a lot of people on my friends list have purchased Batman. It seems everytime I log on a number of people are at different stages working their way through Arkham Asylum. There must be at least two dozen Batmen that I know of hunting the Joker as I speak!

< Message edited by Diggler -- 30/8/2009 8:14:35 PM >

(in reply to fletch666)
Post #: 157
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 30/8/2009 9:57:57 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Yeah this is a really cool game, the graphics are truly incredible and raise the bar on what i've seen before from in game graphics on the Xbox. My only slight niggle is that i dont feel the Asylum itself offers a varied enough potential in its visuals, but what is on offer looks beautiful.

I've just gone through the batcave on the island.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 158
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 30/8/2009 10:06:30 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

Just downloaded the demo and it's really good fun.  Gonna go out and get this tomorrow morning.

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

I'm gonna wait it out

"It's a day spa, you fuck!"

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 159
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 30/8/2009 11:23:28 PM   
Ghidorah

I have heard the final confrontation with the Joker was a let down but I didn't expect it to be that bad. It felt like the game designers ran out of time or even ideas. It is a let down to an impressive game.

(in reply to Comrade Zutroy)
Post #: 160
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 9:41:18 AM   
juanvasquez

I'm loving this so far. Played it for a couple of hours yesterday and the best part is I'm only 9% through it! Just done the Scarecrow part in the morgue which was great.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 161
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 10:22:00 AM   
Chief

Awesome game. Only about 17% in and loving it. Can't figure out how to view the riddlers question marks though (the ones where you have to line them up perfectly), any help?

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 162
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 11:00:20 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

20% in currently, great game though does anyone wish we could have some of the game set in Gothma City itself? The graphics are so beautiful i wanna see some more variety in the locations!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 163
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 12:43:48 PM   
Ethanial

About 45% now, haven't played it for a few days, other things crept up, but the lead up to the second Scarecrow part was just epic,you've seen it all before, now you get to walk the horrors, genius.

Sadly it seems I have all the gadgets already though.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 164
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 2:00:14 PM   
BishopQuaker

I've just got it today.
Some lass in Game told me that the UK had been undersupplied. Couple that with the massive demand it's no wonder I had to try 4 shops before getting it in HMV.

This is the 1st game I've bought first hand in ages and I'm a massive Batman fan so I hope this is as brilliant as it looks!

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 165
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 2:31:00 PM   
Lang

I'm stuck!!! i cant get back into Intensive Care building to get access to !!!!!!!! cell because !!!!!! has blocked the door and i cant seem to find another way in!!!

Brilliant Game, i love the fighting with multiple opponents as it reminds me of Batmans first appearance in Begins down at the docks.

Am right in saying this is based on genuine storyline from a comic?

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 166
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 5:50:07 PM   
dead_reckoning

I'm just up to the final battle, Overall i've really enjoyed the game, but i agree with the points about the detective mode, you miss you on the visuals as you never know when you will miss something.

The combat system i didn't like 100% though, kept getting to 20 odd, and then a critical strike would put me just out of reach of another thug, meaning i lost my combo, and damn thugs with knives and electro wands just piss me off, keep getting hit from behind because I'm still in the process of a critical strike on someone in front of me, i just can't perfect the timing.

Got all riddler collectables now, got really stuck on the last couple in the Botanical Gardens though.

these cuts run deep. these scars are permanent and always on display

xbox Live gamertag = misteroconnell
PSN ID = ravenouscartoon

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 167
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 7:02:16 PM   
juanvasquez

I'm up to the botanical gardens (convenient!) at the moment. I like the addition of the collars, which mean you have to change your tactics. Don't like those shock sticks though as they balls up your combo's. I like the little nods towards (currently) absent villains. Two face's cell and the cell with icicles in front of it.

It's all very good and atmospheric, and can be quite tense in places too.

Really enjoying it so far, and I think the Riddler challenges are a nice addition too.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to dead_reckoning)
Post #: 168
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 7:34:11 PM   
Gizmo 76

Finished off the story a little while ago, really enjoyed it, actually wish it was a bit longer, but some real standout moments, and great atmosphere throughout..... Here's hoping for a follow up already

A couple of niggles which have already been mentioned, the dependancy to keep your view in detective mode, and a very neat touch used on a boss fight becomes not so neat as it is used again, and again, and again near the end of the game...

I still have all the challenges to go back and find, which you can do after finishing the game and I haven't managed to get the 40 hit combo achievement yet, at the start of the game I got in the mid-30's a few times, but as the game progressed the bad guys got a bit tougher.... maybe I'll manage it in the challenge mode part of the game..

Overall an absolute quality game, that is well worth anyone's time.

Edit: Just to add one more thing!! There is a moment in this game that really shouldn't happen on a 360!!

< Message edited by Gizmo 76 -- 31/8/2009 7:53:54 PM >

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 169
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 8:05:05 PM   
Diggler

Gizmo - what percentage are you on? I'm guessing that the main story line doesn't go to 100% completion & that figure includes all the trophies, challenges etc. Just wondered how much of the main game I have left as I'm currently at 30%

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 170
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 9:10:12 PM   
Gizmo 76

Yeah that figure includes everything, I'm only at something like 68% I think.... So still loads to do yet

Giz Presents . . .

My Website of Work

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 171
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 9:53:35 PM   
dark_exodus

I'm not to far in, but so far it's been good fun. I've been playing it on hard since I don't like the flashing icon above characters heads on normal.

Anyone know if there is a expert mode once completed? Hard hasn't really been that hard so far.

< Message edited by dark_exodus -- 31/8/2009 9:58:51 PM >

Watched at the Cinema Recently
The Town 4/5
Buried 4/5

www.gameshideout.co.uk

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 172
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 10:05:41 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gizmo 76

Edit: Just to add one more thing!! There is a moment in this game that really shouldn't happen on a 360!!

Is that the bit where the game looks like it freezes and dies. I threw my hands up in the air, and swore loudly at the TV. But then the cut scene kicked in, and I was like "ooooooooooooh, clever."

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 173
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 10:07:29 PM   
Ethanial

I saw that and thought Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit.

Then it became another annoyingly hard Scarecrow sequence, I'm awful at those parts.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 174
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 10:13:10 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

Yeah that figure includes everything, I'm only at something like 68% I think.... So still loads to do yet

Different endings apparently depending on your percentage completion.

The arm is from different character's depending on this, for those who's worked through it.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Gizmo 76)
Post #: 175
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 31/8/2009 11:51:13 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

Is that the bit where the game looks like it freezes and dies. I threw my hands up in the air, and swore loudly at the TV. But then the cut scene kicked in, and I was like "ooooooooooooh, clever."

I'm guessing he was being cryptic in order to not give spoilers for everyone who isn't that far yet, but hey ho, not that big of one I guess....

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 176
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 1/9/2009 3:15:13 AM   
Boring Prophet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

I have heard the final confrontation with the Joker was a let down but I didn't expect it to be that bad. It felt like the game designers ran out of time or even ideas. It is a let down to an impressive game.

Fucking hell.

SPOILERS

I was on XBL chat with one of my mates (who had already completed the game) while I was right at the end. I said to him "I've really enjoyed this so far but if Joker injects himself with Titan it's the worst game I've ever played." He just laughed.

END

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 177
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 1/9/2009 9:10:35 AM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

I'm guessing he was being cryptic in order to not give spoilers for everyone who isn't that far yet, but hey ho, not that big of one I guess....

I went into panic mode as I've just bought a new Elite and I thought it had broke within a week

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 178
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 1/9/2009 12:16:12 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

Sorry.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 179
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 1/9/2009 2:53:51 PM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

I'm up to the botanical gardens (convenient!) at the moment. I like the addition of the collars, which mean you have to change your tactics. Don't like those shock sticks though as they balls up your combo's. I like the little nods towards (currently) absent villains. Two face's cell and the cell with icicles in front of it.

Yep - the developers/writers are obviously huge fans and have gone a long way to make sure that avid Batfans are catered for. I came across Calendar Man's cell last night, saw Ventriloquist's gun mounted on a wall a while later, then found Catwoman's mask/gloves in a hallway. Brilliant little touches.

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI