Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 7/8/2009 10:38:45 AM   
Zao

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

I played it last night and whilst I absolutely loved it, one problem though, it did seem extremely easy.

I did think that, but to be fair, it's only the first level. From what I've heard it gets very tough later on

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I played it last night and loved it.  You just can't beat playing as Batman.  Hanging upside down from Gargoyles, inverted takedown, firing the graple hook to your next vantage point and then stalking your next prey.  Amazing.  I am vry excited about this now. 

Have you tried the "through the glass" takedown? Glide on top of the building in the middle and wait for a thug to pass underneath. Magic

"I have to go. But if I find one single dog hair when I get back, I'll rub...sand...in your dead little eyes."

My humble, sweary movie blog

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 91
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 7/8/2009 10:49:32 AM   
Diggler

Thast was awesome. I can't wait for the full game now.

The best thing was working out how to take the thugs down. With different attacks/options available I enjoyed planning my attack whilst out of site before swooping down, taking a thug out and then vanishing again.

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to Zao)
Post #: 92
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 7/8/2009 4:20:44 PM   
Dark Knight

WOW! I was already stoked for this release but after that demo I am sure that it will a classic. The feel is right, the look is right and the voice acting is superb.

Someone call a nurse - my pants just exploded!!

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 93
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 7/8/2009 4:22:51 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight

WOW! I was already stoked for this release but after that demo I am sure that it will a classic. The feel is right, the look is right and the voice acting is superb.

Someone call a nurse - my pants just exploded!!

I read it's a short demo but very good, will start downloading when i get home.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 94
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 7/8/2009 4:58:23 PM   
Mojo

I enjoyed it but I've a feeling it could get rather repetitive, in the way that Star Wars Force Unleashed became. Atmosphere was good though, and the final room with the armed goons was fun, staking the room out looking for the best way to kill them.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 95
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 7/8/2009 6:18:53 PM   
Naweed_1

Completed the demo on PS3 last night and loved it, Ive played nearly every Batman game and after playing the demo this looks like it'll be the best

Now, about this pickle we find ourselves in...

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 96
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 7/8/2009 6:45:10 PM   
thepluginbaby

Although I did enjoy it, very atmospheric and boasting high production values it did feel a little too automated.  The game world didn't feel truly reactive, how many of those gargoyles are there going to be in the final game?  I don't think the bad guys landed a successful blow to me as I was playing as Batman.  As a stealth game, however its a refreshing take and some of the take downs were brilliant, I actually felt like a predator rather than a retard who gets spotted by some gun toting guard and has to stoop back to the safety of the ventilation shaft until things cooled down again.  The way the demo ends with that big troll thing felt a bit contrived to me.  After playing God of War, Tomb Raider: Underworld and the latest Wolverine game do I really need to fight another big ugly bad guy?  

I'll probably wait for it to come down in price first, though it seems okayish.  

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Naweed_1)
Post #: 97
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 8/8/2009 9:35:50 AM   
juanvasquez

I thoroughly enjoyed. I just loved the take downs. Very atmospheric, and the combat system is great, where you can bee smacking shit out of one guy, and then fluidly move on to the next guy. I was looking forward to the game as it was, now I really can't wait!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 98
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 8/8/2009 12:39:00 PM   
petecriss8000

That creature at the end of the demo isn't just "another big ugly bad guy", its Amygdala. He's an already-established villain in the comics.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 99
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 8/8/2009 8:18:37 PM   
CORLEONE

Good demo, though could have given us a taste of a Boss fight.

Will be getting though, been a long summer.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 100
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 8/8/2009 9:39:38 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Not played the whole demo yeet, but I was impressed although the first few takedowns were too easy and hopefully not indicative of the early game AI, even if it gets harder later. Love the animation, and detective mode is soooo cool. Not quite got the hang of the combos yet but I did like the fluidity of the movement.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 101
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 8/8/2009 10:11:23 PM   
elzupasmonkey

Looks fantastic and I love the slow-mo smackdowns...but it already feels repetitive in this small demo.

Also, didn't think the guy who voiced Batman was basso profundo enough.

http://tiny.cc/odytmw

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 102
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 8/8/2009 10:48:41 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: elzupasmonkey

Looks fantastic and I love the slow-mo smackdowns...but it already feels repetitive in this small demo.

Also, didn't think the guy who voiced Batman was basso profundo enough.

Likewise. Need Bale gruffness

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to elzupasmonkey)
Post #: 103
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 8/8/2009 10:53:17 PM   
From_Hell

I just played the demo and it's okay but.... just okay. I don't know what I was expecting but I was just expecting a bit more, and I wasn't quite blown away like I was hoping. The enemies just seem to hang around and wait for you to knock them down, there seems to be gargoyles conveniently placed wherever you need to swing about a bit and the fighting mechanic - albeit quite fun - basically seemed a more polished version of what was in Too Human 2 years ago. Could it be that this game, which felt decidedly average, has been built up and built up because there's been a major drought of any other big releases for the past few months?

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

Post #: 104
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 9/8/2009 9:15:59 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

A few complaints but overall a great demo.

It was all very pre animated in the way you do everything and not interactive enough, I.e. The inverted takedown, why not let the user control batman as he does this, slowly drop yourself down on a grappling rope with the ability to go back up if you're worried you'll get caught, then when in position press a button to grab the guy, I don't mind if the rest is scripted. I'd have liked a little more than Gargoyles to grapple up to, stuff like girders and pipes or just higher ledges. My final complaint is what seemed to be the lack of variety in attacks when you're on the ground with a few enemies i.e. The start of the demo.

Other than that I loved it, the enemies were great, the voice acting and the cut scene work with the Joker were top notch, really helped to set the mood, as does his commentary over the PA system. The atmosphere is great, it feels very dark and gives an almost survival horror feel to it, the setting for the game is genius. The stealth side of things will be great fun, trying not to get seen as you take out bad guy after bad guy. I was really looking forwards to this, now after playing the demo my interest had just stepped up quite a lot, this could be game of the year, for me it'll be between this, Operation Flashpoint and L4D2.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 105
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 9/8/2009 10:05:44 AM   
James2183

I liked the stealth aspect of the game but I think the combat system will get really repetitive. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 106
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 9/8/2009 2:09:42 PM   
directorscut

Presentation is really good however it seemed to me that I was playing one big quicktime event, being prompted to do everything I should when I should.  Hopefully this is just part of the demo because I can't be immersed in a game when the game constantly reminds me that I'm playing a game.  Combat looks slick but again feels like a quicktime event rather than the indepth fighting system they were hyping.  And I really hope detective mode amounts to more than looking for gargoyles to swing onto.  

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 107
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 9/8/2009 2:22:26 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Presentation is really good however it seemed to me that I was playing one big quicktime event, being prompted to do everything I should when I should.  Hopefully this is just part of the demo because I can't be immersed in a game when the game constantly reminds me that I'm playing a game.  Combat looks slick but again feels like a quicktime event rather than the indepth fighting system they were hyping.  And I really hope detective mode amounts to more than looking for gargoyles to swing onto.  

Agree with pretty much all of that. I wouldn't compare it to a long QTE though but I didn't feel as if I had as much control over the proceedings as I'd have liked.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 108
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 9/8/2009 4:05:42 PM   
themightyhutch

I liked it. I agree with what everyone is saying but all in all it was actually quite a fun demo. The stealth was very good but I agree there were too many gargoyles, hopefully there will be other ways of getting high up or it's just going to be stupid. As a stealth game is was sublime, but the goons in this level were shockingly bad and even when shooting me I had the ability to take them down. Hopefully it will be more of a challenge to do it, but the final room with the 5 guys was good, and doing it in detective mode was even better.

I'll probably get it when it drops in price.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 109
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 9/8/2009 4:28:17 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: themightyhutch

I'll probably get it when it drops in price.

I think I'll do the same. A game like this doesn't need to be bought at full price as there's no multiplayer to miss out on. I made the mistake of buying Force Unleashed at full price, it was a decent enough game but I regretted it almost straight away.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 110
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 9/8/2009 5:00:15 PM   
James2183

With Wolfenstein out shortly I think I will also wait for it to drop in price. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 111
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 10/8/2009 10:48:33 AM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Presentation is really good however it seemed to me that I was playing one big quicktime event, being prompted to do everything I should when I should.  Hopefully this is just part of the demo because I can't be immersed in a game when the game constantly reminds me that I'm playing a game. 

My thoughts exactly. Don't get me wrong, I loved the demo, but I wanted to be able to figure some things out for myself....

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 112
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 10/8/2009 11:13:51 AM   
WilliamMunny

I gave the demo a go at the weekend, was quite good fun but i get the impression that the combat will get repetitive fairly quickly. I found that the view was a bit awkward as well.

A rental rather than a buy methinks. 

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 113
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 11/8/2009 10:41:14 AM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

That creature at the end of the demo isn't just "another big ugly bad guy", its Amygdala. He's an already-established villain in the comics.

I thought this at first but then it's not been confirmed. Lots of internet rumours hinting that the big guy is actually Killer Croc, pre-mutated, (clicky) and that he changes size/look throughout the game.

< Message edited by Marky_Mark -- 11/8/2009 10:51:24 AM >

(in reply to petecriss8000)
Post #: 114
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 11/8/2009 11:25:34 AM   
Marky_Mark

....or maybe I'm wrong. There appears to be an official character list here.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 115
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 14/8/2009 12:23:38 AM   
petecriss8000

Killer Croc was born mutated though. I sound like SUCH a nerd. Which I am, but, seriously. Must stop correcting the internet.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 116
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 14/8/2009 12:28:43 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: elzupasmonkey

This. The voice acting I enjoyed, but a full game would get boring fast without something more in it than just beating up thugs. Which I doubt there will be.

Weekend write-ups

Post #: 117
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 14/8/2009 12:34:44 PM   
Epiphany Demon

There is puzzles and stuff you have to do, break codes, find hints etc... add that to boss fights with different techniques.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 118
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 14/8/2009 12:51:58 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Hits a 95 on xbox world 360 that's pretty much up there with GTA, Oblivion, and anyother GOTY contender.

Comment:

The best Batman game ever and very nearly the best 360 games ever, too.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 119
RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum - 14/8/2009 1:17:02 PM   
flame23

A few reviews on metacritic, all 90 or higher:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/batmanarkhamasylum
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/batmanarkhamasylum

[Changed because I was repeating the review controversy mentioned on the last page!]

< Message edited by flame23 -- 14/8/2009 1:27:49 PM >

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Batman : Arkham Asylum Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI