Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Arkham Origins

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Arkham Origins Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Arkham Origins - 29/3/2013 5:48:51 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Batman: Arkham Origins

Lame.

quote:

will release on current and next-generation systems

Super lame.

quote:

It is said to depict Batman's first meeting with the Joker

Ultra lame.

quote:

ntroduce Justice League heroes such as Superman and Green Lantern

Ultimate lame.

< Message edited by directorscut -- 29/3/2013 5:49:50 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 1111
RE: Arkham Origins - 29/3/2013 11:32:55 PM   
Vadersville

Well I suspected it was going to suck when they decided not to hire back Paul Dini, who was responsible for the amazing stories of the first two, despite all the sequel bait he planted in Arkham City, but this confirms it.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1112
RE: Arkham Origins - 30/3/2013 2:41:23 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Extremely disappointing and a completely dumb decision to go down the prequel route. Asylum built the story and City expanded it by setting up a lot of possibilities for the post-Joker universe with a lot of hints towards Hush and Black Mask being the antagonists in a sequel. Evidently the developers are too narrow minded to consider that a villain other than the Joker can carry a game. Hopefully they make a true sequel to City somewhere down the line.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1113
RE: Arkham Origins - 2/4/2013 11:54:33 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

The Justice League bollocks needs dropping pronto, I want a Batman game, if I wanted to play as Green Lantern or Superman I'd buy a game with their name in the title. Superman has never had a good game for a reason, and personally I don't think he's had or will have (I'm looking at you Man of Steel) a good film either. For me he's a lame super hero as he possesses just too many abilities if makes things too one sided and dull.

Anywho, that part could be bogus or they could merely be hinted at rather than actually playing any role in the game, so back to the rest of the news article.

Prequel? Good.
Joker? Bad.
Ditching Batman writer? Undecided.

Arkham City whilst entertaining failed to live up to the heights of Asylum, and there's some simple reasons why. The first game was all about the atmosphere, it was dark and gloomy, you felt trapped and alone, it was all setup perfectly in the opening scenes the maniacal Joker had taken over, you had to delve deeper into a prison full of the biggest villains going, that knew you were there and were waiting for you. There were tricks and traps waiting for you round every corner, from some little hints at villains, to the chattering teeth or the large presents just sat there waiting for you. You had Killer Croc threaten to kill you from the off and what's worse is you knew he was loose somewhere in the chasms under the prison. The moment they through you into a city with the ability to go where you wanted the feeling of being trapped and alone was lost, you could just runaway. What's more is that this city in ruins had absolutely no residents in it which just prevented any build of of fear.

The first had a brilliantly crafted story which gave a reason for each villain you encountered to appear and everything linked together nicely. What's more everyone got decent screen time. In Arkham City what we instead got wasa how many villains can we get into the game situation. Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. What's worse is that even those villains more integral to the story were still just shoehorned in that no tension was built up, they just appeared and had very little meaningful dialogue.

Despite all this there will be a huge proportion of people who will feel that going back to the Asylum setup after having the freedom and abilities we saw in City is only going to be a step back, so the only way the developers could get away with this is to make a prequel, so I just hope this is the reason they're doing so. If they are then this is great news.

The writing in City was also piss poor, and the loss of the writer isn't that big of a deal breaker for me if he was responsible for the games narrative and it wasnt forced upon him by Rocksteady/Warner.

Finally with Mark Hamill stepping down I just don't see how they can do the Joker justice. For me the role Mark played was so iconic and perfectly acted that I don't think anyone else could provide us with the same end result. In fact I'd go as far as to say that Mark Hamill's Joker in Arkham Asylum is the definitive version, I'd say the performance given out does both Nicholson and Ledger's take on the character despite Mark only providing the voice in the game.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 1114
RE: Arkham Origins - 9/4/2013 4:34:14 PM   
Timon

It IS Arkham Origins and it looks like Deathstroke is front and centre...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=102658

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 1115
RE: Arkham Origins - 9/4/2013 4:58:49 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Arkham" games is that Rocksteady is not developing the title.

Well there you have it.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 1116
RE: Arkham Origins - 9/4/2013 5:53:19 PM   
Vadersville

So, Paul Dini not returning as writer. Prequel disregarding all the sequel bait of Arkham City. And now, Rocksteady not developing it either! I'm out.

Post #: 1117
RE: Arkham Origins - 9/4/2013 11:08:27 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

More information has leaked this evening.

The city will be twice as big as Arkham City with half if that map being the city from Arkham City. There will now be fast travel options, and a new remote bat claw gadget.

It just sounds terrible, no Rocksteady is a big killer, but to re-tread old ground is like the final nail in the coffin, it just screams out as laziness, and means that we've got a story built around an existing city rather than a well developed story that can have a city built to complement it perfectly.

But if re-treading old ground was the nail in the coffin, then the want to make the city bigger and add in fast travelling is the flames that burn said coffin to a crisp. As I've said before, feeling alone and trapped added to the atmosphere and immersion, the bigger the play area the less this atmosphere exists, furthermore fast travelling brand loading, and that again takes away from the immersion.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but I really don't see that happening.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 1118
RE: Arkham Origins - 9/4/2013 11:12:22 PM   
directorscut

I'll get it when it drops to below 20.

Post #: 1119
RE: Arkham Origins - 9/4/2013 11:32:07 PM   
AxlReznor

I'm sceptical because of the lack of involvement of Rocksteady and Paul Dini. But I've got to say, one of my original fears was the reference to it being a "Silver Age" story. I can't stand the Silver Age... but at least the screenshots I've seen have retained the darker tone of the originals. Perhaps it will end up that Grant Morrison is writing, because he's capable of taking Silver Age ideas and putting a contemporary spin on them that makes them credible. That would actually be an interesting game, I think.

Though, I'd prefer a continuation of the story from the original games by the same team, obviously. (I loved the writing of both games).

Post #: 1120
RE: Arkham Origins - 10/4/2013 12:29:35 AM   
kumar

I would prefer to have a sequel to City. The threads begun in City were quite interesting, though Ive not played Asylum before.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

The city will be twice as big as Arkham City with half if that map being the city from Arkham City. There will now be fast travel options, and a new remote bat claw gadget.

It just sounds terrible, no Rocksteady is a big killer, but to re-tread old ground is like the final nail in the coffin, it just screams out as laziness, and means that we've got a story built around an existing city rather than a well developed story that can have a city built to complement it perfectly.

I dont have an issue with the fast travelling. That said im not the biggest gamer, though I dont mind it in Farcry3 and City did sometimes get irritating, particularly when trying to collect riddler trophies (lost interest soon). Rocksteady did a great job, but i dont see why it is a major issue they wont be back.

The layout in City was pretty good I thought. The story behind the appearance was that an earthquake caused the area to degrade. I hope if they reuse the map it will be like a fully functioning City. With roads. Combined with a larger map - there must be plenty opportunity to drive a batmobile!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I'll get it when it drops to below 20.

Yeah, regardless, I also share this sentiment!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 1121
RE: Arkham Origins - 10/4/2013 8:04:21 AM   
Sotto Voce

Yeah, some strange sounding decisions there. Still, I'll at least wait until some reviews come out before writing it off.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 1122
RE: Arkham Origins - 10/4/2013 10:42:50 AM   
paulyboy

Might turn out half decent, never say never and all that!

WB Montreal handled the not awful port of Arkham City for Wii U, so they have experience with the engine at least, obviously it was only a port but all is not lost.

Could be shit, could be awful.

More worrying is the overall fact that another studio has been bought in at all, I can see them switching this franchise to a yearly update with an alternating developers model, just like Call Of Duty & Assassin's Creed.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 1123
RE: Arkham Origins - 10/4/2013 11:45:01 AM   
Chief

Can't wait until online team deathmatch is added.

Post #: 1124
RE: Arkham Origins - 10/4/2013 11:54:15 AM   
Vadersville

More Details...

This hasn't done anything to put my mind at ease. If anything it just confuses the prequel notion evern further. I had assumed it was because they didn't know how to do an Arkham Game without the Joker. hence the jump back to before the events of AC and the rumoured virst meeting set-up. But this says that Black Mask is the big bad?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1125
RE: Arkham Origins - 10/4/2013 12:07:49 PM   
primebhoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

More Details...

This hasn't done anything to put my mind at ease. If anything it just confuses the prequel notion evern further. I had assumed it was because they didn't know how to do an Arkham Game without the Joker. hence the jump back to before the events of AC and the rumoured virst meeting set-up. But this says that Black Mask is the big bad?

Some of the images on the empire article seem to be pointing to this!

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

Post #: 1126
RE: Arkham Origins - 10/4/2013 12:11:10 PM   
Vadersville

Yeah, they're the same from the link I posted above..

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 1127
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 10/4/2013 1:39:48 PM   
giggity

My theory is that Rocksteady want to do a third part in the Arkham trilogy to finish all of the threads they left in City. I'm guessing the whole game will be set in a fully functioning Gotham City but PS3/360 couldn't handle what they wanted to do so they want to wait for next gen and do it on PS4/Next XBox.
Warners are probably fine with this but they needed another game much sooner to punch up their sales. So they asked for a prequel, Rocksteady weren't interested in that so WB Montreal were asked to make a prequel game, this game is set in gotham but it's going to be during a blizzard so that's obviously to mask the fact no-one will be outside and neither will any cars and maybe some of the city will be unreachable.

Personally I'm quite digging the story idea of it set on xmas eve and eight assassins come to take on the bat and it's being developed by the people behind Prototype and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, I haven't played those games but i've heard good things about them, and they ported arkham city to the Wii. It might not be as good as the previous games and it'll probably just be a new story in the same framework as City with maybe a bit extra and some cosmetic features changed but as something to tide me over until the next proper instalment, I reckon it could be a good playthrough.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 1128
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 10/4/2013 3:51:12 PM   
Alistair81

quote:

My theory is that Rocksteady want to do a third part in the Arkham trilogy to finish all of the threads they left in City. I'm guessing the whole game will be set in a fully functioning Gotham City but PS3/360 couldn't handle what they wanted to do so they want to wait for next gen and do it on PS4/Next XBox.
Warners are probably fine with this but they needed another game much sooner to punch up their sales. So they asked for a prequel, Rocksteady weren't interested in that so WB Montreal were asked to make a prequel game

This is what I was thinking (hoping). I'm sure I'll end up getting the new game unless it has really terrible reviews because if it has Batman in it I'm on board! I just hope it doesn't suck...

"The kid's like... he's like a... have you ever seen a drunk baby? "

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft. "

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 1129
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 20/5/2013 7:25:25 PM   
rich

Reveal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=70dYHHF_PSY

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to Alistair81)
Post #: 1130
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 22/7/2013 5:01:34 PM   
Ref

Copperhead has changed a tad:~

http://batmanarkhamorigins.com/#about

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 1131
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 23/7/2013 8:21:50 PM   
chilipenguin

Well I like the look of it to be honest. Going back to the opening pages of this very thread, a lot of people were expressing their doubts as to the quality of the original pre-release and look how that turned out. Hell, even if it's on a par with City, I'll be happy. After having a ditched thee 360, I've just today ordered Asylum and City (both GOTY) for PS3. 27 well spent I reckon, seeing as I never played any of the DLC or really spent much time on the challenge maps.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 1132
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 7/8/2013 3:21:30 PM   
AxlReznor

After months of debating between this and Grand Theft Auto 5, I think I've made my final decision and have just pre-ordered the Arkham Origins Collector's Edition.

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 1133
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 9/8/2013 10:59:22 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 1134
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 9/8/2013 1:06:54 PM   
Ref

Sweet Mother of God! I got the collector's edition for Arkham City, so I have to (by law) get this collector's edition too.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 1135
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 16/8/2013 9:13:17 AM   
Sleazy

That trailer is incredible!

Have pre-ordered the collectors edition, I dont ofte pre-order anything but I got the collectors editions of the last 2 so I want this one too.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 1136
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 18/8/2013 12:17:52 PM   
Ref

Just pre-ordered the beautiful collector's edition. I was gonna wait until my birthday for this game, but I couldn't wait the extra 5 days of not playing it.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 1137
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 21/8/2013 2:16:30 PM   
AxlReznor

http://batman-news.com/2013/08/20/new-batman-arkham-origins-trailer-reveals-firefly-story-and-gameplay/

New trailer looks awesome! Really looking forward to it now.
Highlights include some Joker scenes, the famous Bane back-breaking scene being included (even if some people are going to assume they're ripping off The Dark Knight Rises), and the debut of Firefly, who I've been waiting for a decent version of since I read Knightfall as a kid and thought his section was one of the best. Since then, other than a disappointing appearance in The New Batman Adventures, and an admittedly great origin in Batgirl: Year One, no one has given him a chance to meet the potential I saw in him in Knightfall. Looks like Arkham Origins will finally see him being taken seriously.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 1138
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 4/10/2013 1:59:58 PM   
AxlReznor

http://www.gamesradar.com/batman-arkham-origins-fresh-darker-night-youve-seen/

After my original trepidation, the more I see/hear of this game, the more I'm thinking we could end up with the best story and best game of the series.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 1139
RE: Batman : The Arkham Series - 24/10/2013 1:09:24 PM   
Filmfan 2

I have this pre-loading on my PC back home. Looking forward to playing this.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Arkham Origins Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI