Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Serenity And Beyond - 9/1/2006 11:52:24 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Noooooo - 9/1/2006 12:38:35 PM   
doubleshiny

It's a question of time for me, once he's done with Wonder Woman and Goners it will be 2008 at the least, and then there are only two years before the rights come free for the series.

"Claire, that's disgusting" - Sylar, Season 3
Post #: 2
RE: Serenity and Beyond - 9/1/2006 12:39:50 PM   
Buddy Ackerman

I'd be very happy with a new TV series - I was worried this would be a "Well we're going to do comics..." story. Whilst I haven't yet read the comics the draw of these characters is seeing Nathan Fillion's Reynolds, Adam Baldwin's Jayne, and so on, rather than just ink replications. Fingers crossed that the Sci-Fi Channel follow through on their rumoured interest.

< Message edited by Buddy Ackerman -- 9/1/2006 12:40:26 PM >

"If you were in my toilet bowl, I wouldn't bother flushing it. My bathmat means more to me than you!"
Post #: 3
RE: Serenity and Beyond - 9/1/2006 12:41:29 PM   
Buddy Ackerman

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubleshiny

It's a question of time for me, once he's done with Wonder Woman and Goners it will be 2008 at the least, and then there are only two years before the rights come free for the series.

By 2010 I doubt the franchise will have the (already limited) commerciability it has now.

"If you were in my toilet bowl, I wouldn't bother flushing it. My bathmat means more to me than you!"

(in reply to doubleshiny)
Post #: 4
RE: Travesty - 9/1/2006 2:34:36 PM   
shifty_powers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sanderson

How can the likes of Oceans 13 get greenlighted and Serenity not get a sequel? It is total madness. With all the banal remakes going on it's a travesty to see something as fresh as Serenity getting booted. Everyone has to buy the DVD. NOW - (region 1 that is)!

Probably due to the fact that, no matter how bad Oceans 12 was it still made a lot of money. Whereas, although i'm nott 100% sure on this i don't think Serenity quite made it's busget back.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not slagging in off with out seeing it, i managed to watch most of the series on Sci Fi and throughtly enjoyed them. I don't think the series should ever have been cancelled in the 1st place!

I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.

The Dude: Walter, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to realize the fact that you're a god damn moron.
Post #: 5
RE: Serenity and Beyond - 9/1/2006 3:18:35 PM   
Seryn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buddy Ackerman

By 2010 I doubt the franchise will have the (already limited) commerciability it has now.

I have one word, no, two... three, to say to that.

Startrek,  Battlestar Galactica, Every remake ever made.

k, seven then.

Lets face it, no-one who already loves a show will ever stop loving it (with out some form of trauma anyhoo)and how many new people have discovered the show/film this week alone?
So if anything 'commerciability' is gonna grow.

Plus we're not to forget the fact that Joss has that little gift that means he can keep the characters, worlds and situations relevent to the time, 2005, 2010, 2100. (though that last one would probably need like cloning technology or summat.) regardless of the genre or format.

< Message edited by Seryn -- 9/1/2006 3:19:48 PM >

(in reply to Buddy Ackerman)
Post #: 6
RE: Serenity and Beyond - 9/1/2006 3:35:07 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

I think thats a little bit optimistic, your other examples are for previously hugely successful franchises that were remade largely keeping little more than the name intact so they could guarantee a sizeable audience. If Firefly doesnt strike while the irons hot it'll be dead in the water.

But then, people sometimes forget that there was an awful lot of material in the series scripted and directed by other people, so Whedon wouldnt be crucial to the process beyond an exec producing level. It could well be done in the next couple of years. If he's gonna write comics I'm sure he's got the ideas to pitch to his team, and let them run with it.

'Kate Winslet there...talking dirty...to, uh, Anne Frank and Joseph Goebbels...'

(in reply to Seryn)
Post #: 7
RE: Re. Travesty - 9/1/2006 5:08:51 PM   
HIM

quote:

When will Hollywood realise we're not all complete retards and actually want to watch something that will end with us walking out the cinema having had an experience, not having just killed a couple of hours?!!?

Hollywood is very much a business so they still need a film to make it's investment back and then some for them to want to actually pour money into another. Sad but true. After all, would you re-invest more money into a project that made a loss? Probably not.

Serenity cost $40million to make and made just $25million in the US and $13million overseas. That only amounts to $38million total. Now take into account that the film needs to made double it's budget back (because the filmakers only get half of box office reciepts) and Serenity has made a loss of around $40million. That doesn't even take into account marketing costs. So it's safe to say that Serenity made a total loss of around $50million!

I love Serenity and Firefly though and it pains to see how poorly it did at the Box Office. I'd love another TV show though or a film. Hopefully DVD sales will push Serenity into a money making venture.
Post #: 8
RE: Dan B - 9/1/2006 5:32:45 PM   
Johnny Pneumonia

I feel really quite guilty as I've only borrowed the series and I've just bought Serenity off ebay...

'Kate Winslet there...talking dirty...to, uh, Anne Frank and Joseph Goebbels...'
Post #: 9
RE: - 9/1/2006 11:34:40 PM   
StevieB

quote:

ORIGINAL: billythehick

this is one that im not going to buy. i, like a lot of other people, have copped onto the special edition release patterns, and am going to just rent it frequently. i just hope they don't give it crappy poster again, they drove me nuts.

The  region 4 disc due out in Feb seems to be the most feature packed edition, if there is a "Special Edition" released it won't be a Directors Cut as Joss has gone on record as saying that the film is his cut now, no additions to be made. It would be nice to have a disc with a commentary from Serenities crew, but I don't think we will see anything like that until the 10th anniversary edition or some such.

Once you've been in Serenity, you never leave... you just learn to live there.
Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 9/1/2006 11:57:51 PM   
Dave B

While I've known for quite a while that a sequel wouldn't happen due to poor box office figures but to hear it from Whedon himself is the final nail in the coffin. However the sales for both Firefly and Serenity on amazon show promise, anyone got any figures for how much money it's made on DVD?

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to StevieB)
Post #: 11
RE: Experts built the Titanic, an Amateur built the Ark - 10/1/2006 12:04:43 AM   
Pinkvelvet

Serenity WILL fly again, the cream always rises to the top!
Post #: 12
RE: nGot to Keep Flyin'...There's Nothing Else as Enter... - 11/1/2006 2:48:10 PM   
obi arin kenobi

Excellent news.  Now I won't have to hear so much about this overhyped turd.
Post #: 13
RE: $erenity - 21/1/2006 2:57:02 PM   
-skaster-

Personally, I don't think there are any answers to the box office 'crisis'. One could be that the marketing of movies has become so generic and samey recently that every film appears the same and people don't know what to watch. I think that would explain the safety of familiar franchises such as Kong and Star Wars or films based on widely appealing literary franchises such as Narnia or Potter being so popular to audiences. Add to that the mass of brainless people who watch movies full of guns and mtv editing and you leave very little room for anything else. -s-

-pwn3d!-
Post #: 14
RE: $erenity - 23/1/2006 3:35:22 AM   
frankj

I've just watched my region 3 copy of "Serenity" while wearing my cunning Jayne hat. Bliss. You really should get yourself one of each.

I thought the film was excellent. But there's so much more to be explained, or at least expanded upon. I truly hope this isn't the end of the journey.

And the hat is fantastic - well worth the six-week wait!

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to -skaster-)
Post #: 15
Too good to die - 12/4/2007 9:59:20 PM   
NickossJ

It would be possible to make this franchise fly with just fan-power.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Serenity And Beyond Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI