Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers - 26/11/2008 8:36:40 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 26/11/2008 8:36:40 AM   
Hughezy

i hope to God it doesn't turn out to be a bad film, but it will kill superhero films if it does.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Got to just point out... - 26/11/2008 8:41:28 AM   
drawmyfoot

....that in any comic book you look at Cap is fairly supersized in the beefcake department. Well, in comparison to me he is- perhaps the Empire staff are all 6'3" lumps of muscle....?!?

Post #: 3
Would it actually be a bad thing ... - 26/11/2008 9:21:26 AM   
Nicky C

... if superhero movies went away?

Post #: 4
- 26/11/2008 9:51:03 AM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Downey was just referring to how Rogers was a weedy kid before he was injected with the serum. But I do hope Edgar Wright gets Ant-Man done so his character will be in The Avengers.

Post #: 5
Seems - 26/11/2008 10:12:21 AM   
sowasred2012

like a fairly throw-away comment to be honest. Cap is big.

Post #: 6
RE: Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers - 26/11/2008 10:23:15 AM   
King Solomons Frog

Well, Giant Man was a founding Avenger, and the Ultimates featured a squad of soldiers who used Pym's Giant Man formula.

Also, Thor's hometown is Asgard, not Valhalla.

Post #: 7
Cap America - 26/11/2008 11:22:24 AM   
TheHazman

Captain America is a super soilder and a pretty big bloke. he probably just meant him

Post #: 8
- 26/11/2008 11:28:23 AM   
Rickie.Littlewood

Downey may have been refering to the Ultimates series of Graphic Novels which I believe is being used as a template for the avengers movie. In this Hank Pym uses a serum to increase his Body size to 60 feet but it is then used on other soldiers and is improved to allow them to be even bigger in size.
I 'd recommend that everyone read the graphic novels if they can't wait for the movies but its also good as something to compare the movie versions of these charectors to the page versions, it would be a real eye opener for those who have already seen The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man.

Post #: 9
This movie won't kill of Superhero movies - 26/11/2008 11:30:04 AM   
coomi01

Thats like saying they can be killed off. Which I'm sure alot of lobotomised cinema goers would like. Superhero movies are a new genre. Like Sci-Fi or Horror. And they will always be around. Just cos some people dont get it, they want it to end. I hate costume period dramas, but it doesnt mean that one bad one (and lets face it, there have been quite a few) is gonna kill em all off. What does need killing off is Miley Cyrus. Stuck up little bitch. There you go. Pour all your hatred into her.

Post #: 10
NOT A GENRE! AT ALL! - 26/11/2008 12:47:03 PM   
Nicky C

Superhero movies are NOT a genre and NEVER will be. They have source material from the same medium. Are films based on novels the same genre? Are films based on TV shows the same genre? No. Stop being silly. Spider-Man is not the same genre as The Dark Knight. Hulk is not the same genre as Constantine. End of...

Post #: 11
what brought the avengers together? - 26/11/2008 1:19:31 PM   
Malibu1981

the avengers were bought together to fight Loki, and that's the same in Ultimates.
For those who aren't comic buffs, Ultimates was a comic created in the same style as a movie. In it - they are talking about movie rights of the Ultimates during some quiet time, Nick Fury (normally a white guy but black in this comic) gets asked who would play him - his answer "the coolest man on the planet people - Samuel Jackson"
I'll put £50 down right now that it will be Loki...

Post #: 12
RE: Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers - 26/11/2008 1:20:00 PM   
Rumbaabaa

In trying to find morsels of news-nuggets in Downey Jr's throwaway remarks, aren't you missing what he's actually getting at? That the concept of an Avengers movie is at odds with the realistic(ish) world that Iron Man was set in? A superhero movie involving a super soldier, a man in tin suit, a big green monster-man, a teeny little insect-man and a Norse god just sounds weird to me, and would surely have to be a camp affair with huge dollops of humour to work, if not an out-and-out comedy.

Post #: 13
Valhalla - 26/11/2008 1:38:26 PM   
niallday

When RDJ - thats how i refer to him as haha - talks about Valhalla and supersized soldiers and green giants the first thing i thought he was talking about was the production company of The Incredible Hulk - Gale Ann Hurds company Valhalla - it seems probable that there might be a conflict of interests within the production companies that made Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk - just me???

Post #: 14
RE: Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers - 26/11/2008 2:16:00 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rumbaabaa

In trying to find morsels of news-nuggets in Downey Jr's throwaway remarks, aren't you missing what he's actually getting at? That the concept of an Avengers movie is at odds with the realistic(ish) world that Iron Man was set in? A superhero movie involving a super soldier, a man in tin suit, a big green monster-man, a teeny little insect-man and a Norse god just sounds weird to me, and would surely have to be a camp affair with huge dollops of humour to work, if not an out-and-out comedy.

Exactly. The Avengers movie will be a stupid mess with far too many characters & ruin the semi-realistic tone that Iron Man created. The ending of Iron Man with Sam fuckin’ Jackson turning up was awful & doesn’t bode well for the future.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Rumbaabaa)
Post #: 15
I hate to be the director for The Avengers - 26/11/2008 3:46:04 PM   
Taz69

All those heroes and their mythologies, it'll be a mess as some will undoubtedly be pushed to sidelines (I'm looking at you Thor) whilst who ever's playing Capt America and Robert Downey jr. dominate procedings. Hopefully it will feature Tim Roth as he was the best thing in an otherwise average sequel to Ang Lee's dumb-a-thon Hulk.

Post #: 16
RE: Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers - 26/11/2008 3:52:26 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver
The ending of Iron Man with Sam fuckin' Jackson turning up was a stroke of fucking genius & bodes extremely well for the future.

Corrected your post Monkeyshaver.

1. If an Avengers movie doesn't excite, then:

(a) Nothing superhero related will ever excite you and you should probably stick to romantic comedies/worthy European borefests/Indiana Jones/Superman Returns.

(b) If you do have any affinity whatsoever with superheroes, then you need to see a doctor pronto, because you're clearly suffering from terminal negativity.

2. Putting these heroes together won't be difficult as long as they deal with the various different characters unapologetically - e.g. Thor - so fucking what if he's a ancient Norse deity which might be jarring against the tech based reality grounded Iron Man - deal with it.  Any writer worth his salt should be able to mix and match them all in a story with little problem (and indeed, any decent writer would see the story and character opportunities such a situation presents).  It's up to us as an audience to suspend our disbelief and if they're bold and make a good, spectacular, epic superhero movie then we'll willingly gobble it up greedily and ask for more afterwards...  They just need to be bold.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 17
RE: I hate to be the director for The Avengers - 26/11/2008 5:22:54 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taz69
All those heroes and their mythologies, it'll be a mess...

No, I don't believe it will - because each character's 'mythology' will be dealt with in their own, solo movies.  That's why The Avengers promises to be different - it won't be bogged down in having to fill the audience in on all the character's back stories and can get right down to the story, without all that preamble...

All they need to do is establish the team - already partly done in Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk (which was NOT a sequel btw) and I assume will be the case in the other solo movies - and they can hit the ground running.  The first X-Men gave us a bit of a sense of a team already formed and the movie benefitted from that, imo.   The Avengers, with the solo movies already having familiarised the audience with the characters, should hopefully take that dynamic to a whole new level.

Come on.  What's wrong with you people?  It's the fucking Avengers for crying out loud! Geek out.  You know it makes sense.

(in reply to Taz69)
Post #: 18
RE: Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers - 26/11/2008 5:38:38 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

Exactly. The Avengers movie will be a stupid mess with far too many characters & ruin the semi-realistic tone that Iron Man created. The ending of Iron Man with Sam fuckin’ Jackson turning up was awful & doesn’t bode well for the future.[/size]

Wow, what's it like being psychic?

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 19
RE: Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers - 26/11/2008 5:54:02 PM   
KeithM

I was going to ask, "what's it like being a miserable c*nt?", but your question is probably the more diplomatic.

Just kidding monkeyshaving bloke.  Smile ffs.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 20
Could work... - 26/11/2008 7:02:38 PM   
The_Hat

but then again, could be awful. They really should stick to the Ultimates version. That made an effort to fit all the disparate characters into the same universe (Thor even worked - everyone thought he was a superpowered nutter with delusions of godhood rather than an actual god). The Hulk movie already included Captain America's whole supersoldier thing. Character development is bound be as sketchy as in any other 'group' movie - there just isn't the time to focus on individuals - but it sounds a hell of a lot more promising than that Justice League movie that was being bandied about some months back.

Post #: 21
The problem with Avengers - 26/11/2008 7:48:59 PM   
mighty mick

It's not so much getting these heroes together that's going to be the hard part - rather getting them together by 2011! 3 years is definetly not enough time to establish these characters, who might need more than one film in order to do so. Ok, Ironman and Hulk already have the job half done, but it's Cap and especially Thor which worry me. Marvel's shot themselves in the foot by establishing a release date before even launching the films into official production, so my biggest concern is whether these films will turn out rushed and unfocused just so they can meet the deadline.

Post #: 22
Will Edward Norton return as Banner? - 26/11/2008 8:01:43 PM   
darth silas

Thats all i want to know.Theyve confirmed the Hulks appearance in the film but not Norton.Theyre not going to recast the role AGAIN are they?

Post #: 23
RE: The problem with Avengers - 26/11/2008 8:02:25 PM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: mighty mick

It's not so much getting these heroes together that's going to be the hard part - rather getting them together by 2011! 3 years is definetly not enough time to establish these characters, who might need more than one film in order to do so. Ok, Ironman and Hulk already have the job half done, but it's Cap and especially Thor which worry me. Marvel's shot themselves in the foot by establishing a release date before even launching the films into official production, so my biggest concern is whether these films will turn out rushed and unfocused just so they can meet the deadline.

As long as Thor ends with him being put into the body of Donald Blake and Cap ends with him being frozen in the arctic then Marvel will be on track for The Avengers.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to mighty mick)
Post #: 24
RE: Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers - 26/11/2008 9:40:44 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

Exactly. The Avengers movie will be a stupid mess with far too many characters & ruin the semi-realistic tone that Iron Man created. The ending of Iron Man with Sam fuckin’ Jackson turning up was awful & doesn’t bode well for the future.[/size]

Wow, what's it like being psychic?

he ran out of stories about jonathan ross so decided to post yet more negativity about marvel films. hes trolled about in the marvel movies thread in the past, its all very sad.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 25
RE: Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers - 27/11/2008 9:45:27 AM   
Beno

Saying that the Avengers movie will be a "stupid mess" is more than a bit premature . The mistakes made prior in say Spidey 3 when there were too many bad guys will be in the minds of the guys given the task of bringing Avengers to the screen . Also the mistakes with the reboot of Hulk will have been taken on board and brainstormed .There is tons of time to prepare and get it right , tons of time for us to see all the heroes unfold in there own instalments , tons of time to listen to the fans and tons of time for the hype to grow to Phantom Menace proportions .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 26
The Sentinels? - 27/11/2008 2:48:22 PM   
shanewire

Or are they only in x men?

Post #: 27
RE: The Sentinels? - 1/12/2008 5:47:18 PM   
Dexter Morgan

I think X-Men proved you don't need a whole backstory for everyone, they just need a good story and enough action to show off everyones powers.

Sod the Onion
http://www.thedailyshow.com/

(in reply to shanewire)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Robert Downey Jr. Talks Avengers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI