Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

actor who can fit in any role....???

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> actor who can fit in any role....??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
actor who can fit in any role....??? - 25/11/2008 12:02:28 PM   
jordanasmith

Which actor has done a movie in all genres: action, romantic, sci-fi, superhero, role-playing, comedy, drama? He has also been rated as the most powerful actor?
Post #: 1
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 26/11/2008 3:31:33 PM   
Olaf

Robert Downey Jr.?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to jordanasmith)
Post #: 2
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 26/11/2008 5:26:24 PM   
Workshed

An actor to have done all genres as a leading man is George Clooney, sir. I've posted the same on your thread in musings.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 3
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 26/11/2008 5:47:08 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

I'd argue that there aren't any who have done it successfully.  Clooney being a prime example.  I think the guy is a hugely underrated actor (like anyone who is stupidly attractive, he's not taken seriously), but Batman ... it was a monstrosity.  One could argue that wasn't his fault, but it was still a forgettable performance (or at least unforgettable for the wrong reasons).

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 4
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 26/11/2008 7:04:18 PM   
Olaf

quote:

I'd argue that there aren't any who have done it successfully.  Clooney being a prime example.  I think the guy is a hugely underrated actor (like anyone who is stupidly attractive, he's not taken seriously), but Batman ... it was a monstrosity.  One could argue that wasn't his fault, but it was still a forgettable performance (or at least unforgettable for the wrong reasons).

You're clearly forgetting about Will Smith...

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 5
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 26/11/2008 7:14:15 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

You know, as I was writing that post I was actually thinking of Will Smith (get out of my head Olaf!) but once again I'm not convinced that he's been wholly successful in all of those roles (even if you were being ironic ... were you?)  I work in casting and I've always thought that there's no such thing as a completely versatile actor who can do everything but this thread is actually making me doubt that ... indeed it makes me doubt everything I believe in! ... although, of course, it's completely subjective and dependent upon what one terms 'success' in each of these roles.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 27/11/2008 2:42:20 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

You know, as I was writing that post I was actually thinking of Will Smith (get out of my head Olaf!) but once again I'm not convinced that he's been wholly successful in all of those roles (even if you were being ironic ... were you?)  I work in casting and I've always thought that there's no such thing as a completely versatile actor who can do everything but this thread is actually making me doubt that ... indeed it makes me doubt everything I believe in! ... although, of course, it's completely subjective and dependent upon what one terms 'success' in each of these roles.

I think the OP would disagree with your assessment of Will Smith!

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 7
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 2/12/2008 6:39:52 PM   
sanchia

In reality I think it is Will Smith but an actor like Sam Rockwell blows him away. He has a range which Smith can only aspire to and should really be a lot bigger than he is.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 8
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 5/12/2008 1:54:55 AM   
darkarius

Whether or not this will ruffle feathers, but i'd say Johnny depp.  the guy seems to be extremely versitile.  i dont think theres much the guy cant do if put in the position

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 9
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 13/12/2008 1:52:31 PM   
no1psh

Phillip Seymour Hoffman is very versatile he's been in a wide range of films so he's def one choice!

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

(in reply to darkarius)
Post #: 10
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 13/12/2008 1:59:18 PM   
save_ferris

Christian Bale?

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 11
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 13/12/2008 10:01:37 PM   
Lightsaberskickass

Bill Paxton. Any man who has been killed by a Terminator, an Alien and a Predator can do any role you put in front of him. Except the character will immediately develop a southern drawl.

Let me get this straight. You think that your employer, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is really a masked vigilante who spends his nights running around the city beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands? And your plan is to blackmail this person? Good luck.

(in reply to save_ferris)
Post #: 12
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 14/12/2008 11:19:02 PM   
DaveNewman18

Clearly Hugh Grant.

Or not. Blatently Gary Oldman.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Lightsaberskickass)
Post #: 13
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 16/12/2008 6:59:34 PM   
no1psh

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveNewman18

Clearly Hugh Grant.

Or not. Blatently Gary Oldman.

Have to agree with this didn't think of him earlier. He has usually played the bad guy, but what a job he did with the only honest cop in the Gotham police department!

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 14
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 16/12/2008 7:42:54 PM   
doncopey1

Daniel Day Lewis? No One immersed himself into every role he's ever done to perfection.

(in reply to no1psh)
Post #: 15
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 16/12/2008 9:32:55 PM   
Harry Lime

Day-Lewis is a truly exceptional actor, but it's hard seeing him in a no-holds barred comedic role. Same goes for Christian Bale. Both can (and do) bring humour to a role but I think they would struggle with a full-on comedic role. In fact, that goes for a lot of the modern greats, from Brando through Pacino to Crowe or Washington. As for the ridiculously over-fellated Oldman, his fat troll sister from Eastenders has more convincing range. The dramatic Oldman is excellent when on-form but when he tries to do comedy he turns into the most enormous ham.

I actually think Will Smith is a good shout. Action hero, comedian and, with The Pursuit Of Happyness, he has shown some dramatic muscle too... Although that particular film did feel a little tailored to his persona. Clooney could also fall into this category. At the same time, I feel both have very distinct limits.

Who else? Jimmy Stewart was perhaps the most versatile. An actor who was as powerful at drama as he was as natural at comedy. He's followed very closely by Jack Lemmon and Spencer Tracy. The late Paul Newman maybe? Peter O'Toole is bloody brilliant and Tom Hanks and Robert Downey Jr would make my list with him. But, that said, I can't imagine any of these playing a Terminator or a Rambo.

The more I think about it, the harder this question gets.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 16
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 16/12/2008 10:18:05 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

Day-Lewis is a truly exceptional actor, but it's hard seeing him in a no-holds barred comedic role. Same goes for Christian Bale. Both can (and do) bring humour to a role but I think they would struggle with a full-on comedic role. In fact, that goes for a lot of the modern greats, from Brando through Pacino to Crowe or Washington. As for the ridiculously over-fellated Oldman, his fat troll sister from Eastenders has more convincing range. The dramatic Oldman is excellent when on-form but when he tries to do comedy he turns into the most enormous ham.

I actually think Will Smith is a good shout. Action hero, comedian and, with The Pursuit Of Happyness, he has shown some dramatic muscle too... Although that particular film did feel a little tailored to his persona. Clooney could also fall into this category. At the same time, I feel both have very distinct limits.

Who else? Jimmy Stewart was perhaps the most versatile. An actor who was as powerful at drama as he was as natural at comedy. He's followed very closely by Jack Lemmon and Spencer Tracy. The late Paul Newman maybe? Peter O'Toole is bloody brilliant and Tom Hanks and Robert Downey Jr would make my list with him. But, that said, I can't imagine any of these playing a Terminator or a Rambo.

Funny you mention Stewart i always found Ryan more versatile...what do you think I only say that as I'm in Robert Ryan season at the moment.

As for Day Lewis he's shows brief moments of comedic brilliance in My Beautiful Laundrette and even early on in the Name of the Father but i'm just being bias.

As for Oldman I couldn't agree more, I mean he struggles to escape his accent in the Dark Knight at times it's as if he's getting weaker with age. Plus a very plausable shout with Hanks and O'Toole.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 17
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 17/12/2008 12:48:04 PM   
Harry Lime

Well, you know I love Robert Ryan, Don. He's bloody awesome. Crossfire, The Set-Up, The Naked SpurBad Day At Black Rock, The Wild Bunch, his magnificent swan-song in The Iceman Cometh. As a dramatic actor he was sublime. One of my five favouites ever. However, I can't imagine Ryan doing a comedic turn a la The Philadelphia Story or Destry Rides Again or Born To Dance like Stewart could. Only Spencer Tracy comes close to Stewart in that department, I feel. Anybody who can make Fury and Libelled Lady in the same year has some remarkable versatility!

Of course, Stewart and Ryan together in The Naked Spur were absolute dynamite.

I'm glad that you agree on Oldman. It makes me feel all warm inside!

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 18
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 17/12/2008 8:07:31 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

Well, you know I love Robert Ryan, Don. He's bloody awesome. Crossfire, The Set-Up, The Naked SpurBad Day At Black Rock, The Wild Bunch, his magnificent swan-song in The Iceman Cometh. As a dramatic actor he was sublime. One of my five favouites ever. However, I can't imagine Ryan doing a comedic turn a la The Philadelphia Story or Destry Rides Again or Born To Dance like Stewart could. Only Spencer Tracy comes close to Stewart in that department, I feel. Anybody who can make Fury and Libelled Lady in the same year has some remarkable versatility!

Of course, Stewart and Ryan together in The Naked Spur were absolute dynamite.

I'm glad that you agree on Oldman. It makes me feel all warm inside!

Interesting point, Stewart was always delightful in his comedic turns I mean Its a Wonderful Life alone shows every possible range the actor was capable of. Although the majestic grin of Ryan was always as delightful that nearly stole the show off Stewart in the Naked Spur. But of course there is no harm coming out second best to Stewart most other actors do.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 19
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 9/1/2009 4:50:53 PM   
coin2000

Gene Hackman is my choice for actor with best range. Agree that Phillip Seymour Hoffman is also excellent, but haven't seen quite as much range in his career as Hackman's.

- Build a bridge out of her.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 20
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 11/1/2009 7:54:43 PM   
AstridOlga

quote:

ORIGINAL: coin2000

Gene Hackman is my choice for actor with best range. Agree that Phillip Seymour Hoffman is also excellent, but haven't seen quite as much range in his career as Hackman's.

Well, Hackman is just a tad bit older. Philip Seymour Hoffman has range enough - Happiness, Boogie Nights, State and Main, The Red Dragon, Magnolia... He's charismatic, versatile, funny and extremely talented, and at the end of the day that also makes him rather sexy. Will Smith is a goof ball in comparison.

I like these calm little moments before the storm. They remind me of Beethoven.

(in reply to coin2000)
Post #: 21
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 11/1/2009 8:33:23 PM   
Incanus

I think, if Johnny Depp could muster the courage to escape his safe mannerisms, he would be perfect for a vast range of roles. To the same league of chameleons belongs Robert Downey Jr.

< Message edited by Incanus -- 11/1/2009 8:34:48 PM >

WINTER IS COMING

T h e 2 4 t h F r a m e . c o . u k

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

(in reply to AstridOlga)
Post #: 22
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 18/1/2009 10:13:36 AM   
Wessing

well, when you think about this thread, theres really only two kinds of roles for actors: comedic and serious ones.  they are pretty self explanatory.   all those sci-fi, action, drama, thriller, they are all for serious roles, the comedic one is for comedy.  so actors dont really have to be THAT versatile to fit in to any role.  That being said, I reckon johnny depp is pretty good at it, mainly cos he plays so many strange kinda people, never really plays an 'average joe'.
hes cool
i think someone  else said it, so, ummm..., i agree with you
go depp

Thank your mother for pointing that out

(in reply to Incanus)
Post #: 23
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 18/1/2009 12:50:32 PM   
Vito_Andolini

If Ryan Reynolds does indeed play Deadpool then I think he'll have covered all the genres (if you consider The Nines sci-fi, at a stretch).  Don't think he's considered the most powerful actor though... yet.  Mark my words!

"Lunch Lady Doris, do ye have any grease?!"

"Yes, yes we do"

"THEN GREASE ME UP WOMAN!!"

"Okey dokey"

www.movieguys.org

(in reply to Wessing)
Post #: 24
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 19/1/2009 8:01:14 PM   
Jacks Rage

quote:

Nice breakdown of a lot of the names brought up here. But the name I find conspicuously absent from you is Johnny Depp. He's been mentioned a few times in this thread (always is when this subject is brought up) and I think he is clearly the most versatile actor working today. If you look over his career he's pretty much done it all. He's jumped around from genre to genre and from big budget studio picture to indie film. And most importantly has had success in all of it. The one exception is the sort of nebulous category of superhero (comic character) film. Though he is slated to be in the Sin City sequel and really it would just be silly to say he can't play a superhero.

The only question mark is, as you pointed out with Daniel Day-Lewis and Christian Bale, a straight on comedy. I don't recall him doing any off the top of my head. But Ed Wood has a major comedic element. And he is brilliant in it. In fact, I still maintain he should have won the Oscar that year (and I don't even think he was nominated). Also Charlie and the Chocalate Factory. Although that was a very wierd off-brand type comedy. And then there is an argument that Jack Sparrow is a comedic role. Albeit one of the hammy over-the-top variety (but it still showed he can be very funny and has great comic timing).

Overall though I think he has the most range out of anybody out there today (Daniel Day-Lewis and Viggo Mortenson being the two others I'd put up there with him.) Yes, he's been playing the eccentric and cartoonish lately with the likes of the aforementioned Sparrow, Sweeney Todd and Willy Wonka. But he's done a lot of great heavier dramatic work in the past (one of the most underated being Donnie Brasco) and his next role is John Dilinger.

Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 25
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 6/3/2009 12:43:15 AM   
JoeyPottr

Johnny Depp, Robert Downey, Jr. Christian Bale, Russell Crowe, Colin Farrell, Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Morgan Freeman, Will Smith, Denzel Washington (since I saw Benjamin Button Brad Pitt)
Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway, Keira Knightley, Emily Blunt, Natalie Portman, Charlize Theron, Kate Beckinsale, Kate Winslet, Michelle Monaghan, Amy Adams, Rachel McAdams

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to Jacks Rage)
Post #: 26
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 9/3/2009 7:17:14 PM   
fernetcontonica

I've seen Vincet Dónofrio in so many different roles that he's the first one I can think of

La Campane del Infierno 9/10
The Edukators 8/10
War World Z 6/10
Inbred 5?/10
The Brass Teapot 7/10
Dettachment 6?/10
The Dead Inside 7?/10
The Haunted Mansion 5/10
Anatomie 2 6/10
Anatomie 6?/10

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 27
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 10/3/2009 2:17:35 PM   
Art Vandelay

Along with his obvious versatility, Edward Norton has covered a number of genres, i.e. Drama (American History X), Comedy (Death To Smoochy), the action man/hero (The Incredible Hulk), villain (The Italian Job), Romance (Keeping The Faith) and Musical (Everyone Says I Love You).

Not too shabby. And yes, The Italian Job is pretty shite but Norton's character is one of the few highlights of the film. 

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to fernetcontonica)
Post #: 28
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 12/3/2009 1:08:35 PM   
TellThatMickHeJust

Gary Oldman, Christian Bale, Sam Rockwell, Ed Norton, Samantha Morton, Naomi Watts, Meryl Streep....

"Well, nobody's perfect!"

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 29
RE: actor who can fit in any role....??? - 14/3/2009 1:01:35 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jordanasmith

Which actor has done a movie in all genres: action, romantic, sci-fi, superhero, role-playing, comedy, drama? He has also been rated as the most powerful actor?

Don't what role-playing is meant to refer to exactly (I don't think many actors are found of D&D bar Vin Diesel.), but certainly Wesley Snipes did all of these very successfully back in the day.

(in reply to jordanasmith)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> actor who can fit in any role....??? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI