Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Black Bond Question

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Black Bond Question Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:09:24 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: dhowdy

are you saying that Obama is NOTa specific character even though he is real and Bond is fictional?

No, that's what you said.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 211
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:13:48 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

are you saying that Obama is NOT a specific character even though he is real and Bond is fictional?

No, that's what you said.

when did i say that? quote me

< Message edited by dhowdy -- 15/5/2009 11:14:50 PM >

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 212
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:14:50 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

quote:

No, I'm obviously not saying that at all.

It'd be disrespectful to change the central premise of the character. You might as well make him French, no? The stories have been changed 1000s of times, but the basic premise of the character remains.

how does making Bond black change the central premise of the character?

how would this be disrespectful?

Characters are more than a "central premise".  If they weren't we wouldn't give them backstories, character traits or personalities.

which characters are you referring to?

who is giving them backstories, traits and personalities?

You're trying to gather information for a college assignment, aren't you?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 213
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:17:39 PM   
Rhubarb

You said that some people said there wouldn't be a black President one day. To bring this up in a conversation about whether James Bond could be portrayed by a black actor, then you must have been comparing the two. So you were saying that James Bond, fictional secret agent, played by various actors. was the same as the position of President of the United States. The comparison was therefore than Bush would be "playing" the President in the same way Craig is "playing" the role of Bond, and thus, you were saying that Bush and Obama were playing the same character.

Or were you just being silly and put yourself in a corner? Its hard to tell.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 214
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:19:06 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

You said that some people said there wouldn't be a black President one day. To bring this up in a conversation about whether James Bond could be portrayed by a black actor, then you must have been comparing the two. So you were saying that James Bond, fictional secret agent, played by various actors. was the same as the position of President of the United States. The comparison was therefore than Bush would be "playing" the President in the same way Craig is "playing" the role of Bond, and thus, you were saying that Bush and Obama were playing the same character.

i said 'quote me'.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 215
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:21:25 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

i said 'quote me'.

I did.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 216
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:23:04 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

quote:

quote:

i said 'quote me'.

I did.

unless i see the quote to which you refer i can't answer.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 217
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:23:58 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

i said 'quote me'.

I did.

I believe it comes after the words You Said.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 218
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:32:07 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

i said 'quote me'.

I did.

unless you quote me on what you 'claim' i said i cannot answer.

if you cannot quote me then it looks like you may have gotten yourself into a corner...

what's the problem? quote me.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 219
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:35:12 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

i said 'quote me'.

I did.

unless you quote me on what you 'claim' i said i cannot answer.

if you cannot quote me then it looks like you may have gotten yourself into a corner...

what's the problem? quote me.

Now you're just being difficult. You're perfectly aware what you said and that its in there, and that is a reasonable explanation, and that you can't argue a way out of it. So you're acting like a six year old instead.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 220
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:37:31 PM   
dhowdy

how am i being difficult?

unless you quote me i cannot answer....quote me..

< Message edited by dhowdy -- 15/5/2009 11:39:53 PM >

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 221
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:40:08 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

i''m sure they said that about the president of the USA at one point...

Which means, in context, does it not:

quote:

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 222
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:45:25 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

quote:

i''m sure they said that about the president of the USA at one point...

Which means, in context, does it not:

quote:

that is an interesting interpretation of my original quote.

as there are stark differences between what i wrote and what you are 'claiming' i am saying, are you saying that you are able to read my mind and interpret what i write? 

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 223
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:49:48 PM   
Rhubarb

No I'm saying that's how any reasonable person would have read it in the context. How did you mean it?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 224
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:52:06 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

No I'm saying that's how any reasonable person would have read it in the context. How did you mean it?

i meant what i said...that I was sure they said that about the president of the USA at one point...

what makes you think you are 'reasonable?' not only do you think Bond shouldn't be black but you also think you can read my mind?

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 225
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 11:57:25 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

i meant what i said...that I was sure they said that about the president of the USA at one point...

What did you mean by that statement.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 226
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:00:04 AM   
dhowdy

quote:

i meant what i said. not what you thought i said.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 227
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:00:53 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

I don't get why you bought up Obama's skin colour in a discussion about James Bond.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 228
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:06:46 AM   
dhowdy

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't get why you bought up Obama's skin colour in a discussion about James Bond.

ok. this thread is called 'The Black Bond Question.'

you have already said he shouldn't be black. that for him to be black would be disrespectful.

now imagine this thread was called the 'Black President Question'.

imagine you were saying exactly the same things about the President instead of Bond.

it would sound silly, wouldn't it?

why would it sound silly?

now take those answers and transfer it back to the 'BLack Bond Question' and you have your answer.

< Message edited by dhowdy -- 16/5/2009 12:08:14 AM >

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 229
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:07:15 AM   
Olaf

I don't think you can compare the position of President of The United States to the character of James Bond. The first one is a job performed by whoever is considered suitable by the population of the US. Their personality or appearance is not defined by their position, but the opposite. On the other hand, Bond is a fictional character who over the last forty-odd years has built up a backstory, physical appearance, personality, etc. Hence, the actor playing him must fit a specified character, not because of racial discrimination but because that is simply how the character has been presented. Minor changes aside (a Scottish accent here, a blonde hairdo there) he has remained the same character for the length of his career. The real question is not "why not a black Bond?" but "why bother?" Why not create a new character, a black secret agent similar to Bond? Why bother altering an existing character for no real reason? I wouldn't object to a black actor playing Bond, but to me it seems like a rather arbitrary gesture.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 230
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:09:29 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

you have already said he shouldn't be black. that for him to be black would be disrespectful.

imagine you were saying exactly the same things about the President instead of Bond.

now take those answers and transfer it to the PResident and you have your answer.

So basically you were comparing the President with the character of James Bond, exactly like I said you were. Cool.

Also, It would be silly for me to say that the President shouldn't be black, because you know the President can be anyone. The President is a bunch of different people, not one person, a set character from a series of books written 50 years ago. The two are incomparable, and by comparing the two, you've basically said everything I said you said. Wasn't so hard was it?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 231
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:10:19 AM   
dhowdy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I don't think you can compare the position of President of The United States to the character of James Bond. The first one is a job performed by whoever is considered suitable by the population of the US. Their personality or appearance is not defined by their position, but the opposite. On the other hand, Bond is a fictional character who over the last forty-odd years has built up a backstory, physical appearance, personality, etc. Hence, the actor playing him must fit a specified character, not because of racial discrimination but because that is simply how the character has been presented. Minor changes aside (a Scottish accent here, a blonde hairdo there) he has remained the same character for the length of his career. The real question is not "why not a black Bond?" but "why bother?" Why not create a new character, a black secret agent similar to Bond? Why bother altering an existing character for no real reason? I wouldn't object to a black actor playing Bond, but to me it seems like a rather arbitrary gesture.

and here we go again....

why is a black man playing a character arbitrary?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 232
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:11:13 AM   
Rhubarb

Don't do it Olaf, its Chinatown!

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 233
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:14:46 AM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

and here we go again....

Because, as I said:
quote:

Bond is a fictional character who over the last forty-odd years has built up a backstory, physical appearance, personality, etc. Hence, the actor playing him must fit a specified character, not because of racial discrimination but because that is simply how the character has been presented. Minor changes aside (a Scottish accent here, a blonde hairdo there) he has remained the same character for the length of his career.

Or, even better:
quote:

The real question is not "why not a black Bond?" but "why bother?" Why not create a new character, a black secret agent similar to Bond? Why bother altering an existing character for no real reason?

Like I said, if a black actor is most suitable for the role then by all means he should be cast. But it's not a question of racial politics, it's about keeping an established character in continuity with his previous appearances on film.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 234
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:15:11 AM   
dhowdy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

now take those answers and transfer it to the PResident and you have your answer.

So basically you were comparing the President with the character of James Bond, exactly like I said you were. Cool.

Also, It would be silly for me to say that the President shouldn't be black, because you know the President can be anyone. The President is a bunch of different people, not one person, a set character from a series of books written 50 years ago. The two are incomparable, and by comparing the two, you've basically said everything I said you said. Wasn't so hard was it?

i'm not comparing anyone. i'm merely highlighting how at one point it was inconceivable that the president of the USA would be black compared to now.

it might be inconceivable for Bond to be black NOW..but at one point he may very well be black....

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 235
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:16:38 AM   
Olaf

To use the president as an example, Barack Obama was elected  for no other reason than because he was best for the job. If a black actor is best for Bond, why not?

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 236
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:18:41 AM   
dhowdy

quote:

quote:

quote:

and here we go again....

Because, as I said:
quote:

Bond is a fictional character who over the last forty-odd years has built up a backstory, physical appearance, personality, etc. Hence, the actor playing him must fit a specified character, not because of racial discrimination but because that is simply how the character has been presented. Minor changes aside (a Scottish accent here, a blonde hairdo there) he has remained the same character for the length of his career.

Or, even better:
quote:

The real question is not "why not a black Bond?" but "why bother?" Why not create a new character, a black secret agent similar to Bond? Why bother altering an existing character for no real reason?

Like I said, if a black actor is most suitable for the role then by all means he should be cast. But it's not a question of racial politics, it's about keeping an established character in continuity with his previous appearances on film.

but nobody's talking of making Bond black for the sake of being black....my point is at one point...if you can   changehis environment, his politics, his car, clothes, physical image...then why the fuck cant you make him  black?????   is it so integral to the story? cannot you have a conservative, god and country black man serving his country as a secrent agent? of course you can...

< Message edited by dhowdy -- 16/5/2009 12:21:25 AM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 237
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:20:00 AM   
dhowdy

quote:

To use the president as an example, Barack Obama was elected  for no other reason than because he was best for the job. If a black actor is best for Bond, why not?

how did anyone know he was best for the job when he hadn't even done the job?

did bush get the job cos he was 'best for the job?'

gosh..i'm contradicting myself now.....i'm off to bed...ive had too much to drink...

< Message edited by dhowdy -- 16/5/2009 12:22:35 AM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 238
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:22:58 AM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

how did anyone know he was best for the job when he hadn't even done the job?

Um, I was agreeing with you. But to phrase it better, "Barack Obama was elected for no other reason than because voters thought he could be best for the job. If a black actor is best for Bond, why not?"

What other reason is there cast Bond as black, other than the best actor for the job being black?

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 239
RE: The Black Bond Question - 16/5/2009 12:24:05 AM   
dhowdy

see my above edit....

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Black Bond Question Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI