Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Black Bond Question

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Black Bond Question Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Black Bond Question - 7/4/2009 9:34:33 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Also Dalton was so good in the part he would rather have been 2 for 2 and not got to that point the franchise always gets to on occasion when he would be expected to battle robots or something.

I may have made the above up but its how I like to have thought it would have played out.

Yeah me too. I once heard a story that the Cubby Brocolli basically asked his old friend Dalton to take on the part after Brosnan dropped five days before shooting. Which makes his performance in TLD even more remarkable.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 151
RE: The Black Bond Question - 7/4/2009 9:48:54 PM   
rupert303

quote:

ORIGINAL: genejoke

quote:

ORIGINAL: rupert303

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

When it comes to these sorts of things (Bond, Superman, Jesus etc.) why is it always black and white.

How about an eskimo Bond?

Yes, the British government would definatly get an Eskimo in to fight terrorism.

he could use his power of Inuitition...

gosh that was hilarious.

That's why I'm the money maker

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to genejoke)
Post #: 152
RE: The Black Bond Question - 9/4/2009 3:12:44 AM   
JoeyPottr

It just doesn't fit, but... Will Smith, Taye Diggs or Tyrese Gibson.

< Message edited by JoeyPottr -- 9/4/2009 3:13:05 AM >

wandering through the tall grass of life

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 153
RE: The Black Bond Question - 9/4/2009 7:29:56 PM   
Mason Verger

He could become a black Bond by having him regenerate like Dr.Who.  

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to JoeyPottr)
Post #: 154
RE: The Black Bond Question - 10/4/2009 12:30:14 AM   
Sugarman Treacle

Bond as black? Hmm, no it wouldn't be right. Not that I don't think a black guy would make the part as well as a white, but since he's been white all along it would just be wrong to change that now. They did however change Felix' colour so one should probably not exclude the possibility...

I'm turning turning turning turning turning around, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemmon-tree...

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 155
RE: The Black Bond Question - 10/4/2009 9:38:44 PM  1 votes
bozzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

For the record, Blade was originally a white character (in the comics and Spiderman Cartoons) but seeing as he wasn't really all that established in the eyes of the masses there was no problem re-inventing him as a black character for the films.

But I agree with the above 'Shaft' comment. Imagine if a load of Blaxploitation films were remade with white guys as the lead characters, L.A would burn again (metaphorically speaking).

The idea of a black Bond may work in theory as long as the character remained the same (i.e not making him a stereotypical black guy like Jamie Foxx would...Henessey?! Hip-hop?!...tool!) but where do you draw the line? A black Harry Potter? A black Jack Ryan? I'm not racist or anything, but come on...be sensible!

Also why Jamie Foxx?! He's American! Are there no talented black British actors around?!

Are you sure about the Blade character? am amazed by that as i really didnt know he started off as white ive read his history before and i thought he was only white in the animated spiderman series but started out black read it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_(comics) states

Publication history
Blade was introduced as a supporting character in Marvel Comics' The Tomb of Dracula #10 (July 1973), written by Marv Wolfman and penciled by Gene Colan. The artist recalled in 2003, "Marv told me Blade was a black man, and we talked about how he should dress, and how he should look — very heroic looking. That was my input. [...] The bandoleer of blades — that was Marv's idea. But, I dressed him up. I put the leather jacket on him and so on".[1] Colan based the character's features on "a composite of black actors" including NFL football star-turned-actor Jim Brown.[1]

as for a coloured Bond i dont think it would make a difference as hollywood make the call no matter what we think just see I Am Legend in the book he is a bearded blonde white guy.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 156
RE: The Black Bond Question - 10/4/2009 9:44:10 PM   
bozzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

The solution:

When Craig's run comes to an end, have him about to escape the jaws of death, but not make it.

Gasp: Bond dies on screen!!!

After a moment of 'big music' for the shock to set in, a scene where M takes a call, we see her side of it. She doesn't speak a word. Her face falls in response to what she is hearing, and a single tear trickles down her face.

She hangs up. Composes herself. Presses intercom:

M: Moneypenny, it's been confirmed. He didn't make it. You know what to do. Engage the ususal protocols. Code reference, double O, double Omega seven, replacement procedure. Activate.

Then,written into the lore of Bond is a reason why he's had so many faces. James Bond is a code name, for whoever will later take the mantle of 007. Then, there is no reason why he couldn't be black, because it would always be the best available for the job.

And it would add something the movies have yet to use: The idea that Bond can die, and some of the previous Bonds might have been killed in the line of duty too...

Bond remains the iconic figure, but the story adapts to suggest it's a role to be fulfilled, for propoganda purposes .

Whose the black goverment spy
Licensed to kill
To drive and fly?

Bond!

You're damn right...

(sorry about the Shaft intrusion (oo-er) couldn't resist

I actually like this idea very much, strange but that would make so much sense and work it brilliantly imho

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 157
RE: The Black Bond Question - 10/4/2009 9:47:48 PM   
Rhubarb

It wouldn't make any sense really.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to bozzy)
Post #: 158
RE: The Black Bond Question - 10/4/2009 9:59:28 PM   
bozzy

quote:

Nah but if they did do it it would make sense to do it that way rather than just insert a black bond as if he has always been there

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 159
RE: The Black Bond Question - 10/4/2009 11:52:12 PM   
darth silas

They made Bond blonde.I wouldnt put it past them to make him black whenever they ditch Craig.For the record though,i think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be good for the part if they do make him black.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to bozzy)
Post #: 160
RE: The Black Bond Question - 11/4/2009 1:08:32 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

with all due respect, there's not a lot about this franchise that does make sense...

M was a man and then one day becomes a woman. Felix was white and then became black. And we were asked to believe that before Craig there was no other version of Bond which we did. If this is possible then it shouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination for Bond to become Black.

All they would have to do is reboot the franchise like they did in C R.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 161
RE: The Black Bond Question - 11/4/2009 1:53:08 PM   
Drone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

"Of course!” Foxx told Access, when asked if he could see himself playing the part. "I'd put a little swing in it. A little hip-hop, you know.”

"Maybe not drinking martinis, but drinking some Hennessey maybe,” Foxx joked. "Bond would drink dark liquor.”

Cuz', you know, all the black peoples like the hip hop and drank the Hennesey dayum!... Good job there Jamie, tactfully creeping around those stereotypes.

It'd just be a PC stunt; a bit like a female captain in Star Trek, black Vulcan etc etc.  Yeah, we live in a society without the old exaggerated predjudices and boundaries in the media, we get it PC patrol, we get it.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 162
RE: The Black Bond Question - 11/4/2009 1:53:18 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: dhowdy

quote:

with all due respect, there's not a lot about this franchise that does make sense...

M was a man and then one day becomes a woman. Felix was white and then became black. And we were asked to believe that before Craig there was no other version of Bond which we did. If this is possible then it shouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination for Bond to become Black.

Bond is the main character though, there is a difference, a now establisahed main character.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 163
RE: The Black Bond Question - 11/4/2009 1:54:08 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

They made Bond blonde.I wouldnt put it past them to make him black whenever they ditch Craig.For the record though,i think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be good for the part if they do make him black.

There is a difference between hair colour (Bond could haqve higlighted it) to skin colour you know.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 164
RE: The Black Bond Question - 12/4/2009 10:12:16 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

Bond is the main character though, there is a difference, a now establisahed main character.

yes, but what prevents making Bond black? it wouldn't alter the movie one iota. he could still have gone to Oxbridge or wherever he went, had a poor background and still developed a chip on his shoulder. just because his skin colour has changed doesn't mean his background has to. they could start out mixed race if they wanted to like with the US president and see how that goes before really committing to an actual black or asian actor. 

and really, how much are todays Bond really connected to Ian Fleming's books. for the future generation i don't think anyone would even notice.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 165
RE: The Black Bond Question - 13/4/2009 9:20:32 PM   
Timon

Today's Bond is more connected to the Fleming books than the character's been in a long time.

At the end of the day, there would be no point to changing the Bond to a black man simply for the reason that you could.... and no - one would notice? Really?!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 166
RE: The Black Bond Question - 14/4/2009 10:31:12 AM   
dhowdy

it is connected in name only. fleming's book were set during the cold war period. today's bond is not. the politics (sexual and otherwise) in fleming's books have changed compared with today. if you were faithful to fleming's books today it would be more akin to Austin Powers.

Nobody is talking about changing Bond to black 'just for the sake of it'. we are talking about whether or not colour is important when casting for the role of Bond. 'would people notice?' What i mean is, 'do people really care about the colour of Bond?' there would only be one way to find out, wouldn't there? 

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 167
RE: The Black Bond Question - 14/4/2009 11:03:22 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Nobody is talking about changing Bond to black 'just for the sake of it'. we are talking about whether or not colour is important when casting for the role of Bond. 'would people notice?' What i mean is, 'do people really care about the colour of Bond?' there would only be one way to find out, wouldn't there? 

The casting of Bond is usually one of the most hotly discussed topics in film casting, so its pretty safe that people will care. Based on the fact that many complain about every idiosyncracy of an actor not fitting their understanding of Fleming's character I'd imagine there would be more than a good few purists who'd see a coloured Bond as not suited to the role.

If I'd have been the Bond franchise I'd have spun off a 006 (or 8 or whatever) with Colin Salmon

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 168
RE: The Black Bond Question - 14/4/2009 11:17:35 AM   
Timon

I think for me, it all comes down to this: if you're going to change something so established as a character's skin colour, then why not just do a completely different character altogether?

Would you cast a black man as Superman? An Asian actor as Sherlock Holmes? etc etc

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 169
RE: The Black Bond Question - 14/4/2009 11:43:11 AM   
dhowdy

quote:

I think for me, it all comes down to this: if you're going to change something so established as a character's skin colour, then why not just do a completely different character altogether?

Would you cast a black man as Superman? An Asian actor as Sherlock Holmes? etc etc

I suppose in this sense they already have. XXX, Hancock, Blade etc etc...

different names and titles, similar story...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 170
RE: The Black Bond Question - 14/4/2009 11:46:39 AM   
Timon

Exactly, but they're still their OWN characters rather than just using the branding of an established literary and cinematic film.

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 171
RE: The Black Bond Question - 14/4/2009 11:48:39 AM   
dhowdy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

The casting of Bond is usually one of the most hotly discussed topics in film casting, so its pretty safe that people will care. Based on the fact that many complain about every idiosyncracy of an actor not fitting their understanding of Fleming's character I'd imagine there would be more than a good few purists who'd see a coloured Bond as not suited to the role.

it is true to say that no-one will ever agree on the perfect Bond. Connery will always be the defining Bond to some for instance. You remember the Brouhaha over the casting of Daniel Craig? For some (darth silas) this is sacriligious, for others (me) just what the franchise needed. Bringing in a black Bond would please some, and others not.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 172
RE: The Black Bond Question - 14/4/2009 11:52:27 AM   
dhowdy

quote:

Exactly, but they're still their OWN characters rather than just using the branding of an established literary and cinematic film.

you could argue why they need to update Bond then. why not keep him in the Cold war and keep it as a period piece. is this not using the branding of an established literary figure to reel off new stories. apart from the name Quantum of Solace had nothing to do with the books. It could have been any actioner.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 173
RE: The Black Bond Question - 14/4/2009 2:01:24 PM   
DeppBurtonAlliance

A black Bond is almost as silly as a white Shaft.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 174
RE: The Black Bond Question - 14/4/2009 6:35:06 PM   
dhowdy

isn't that what 8 mile/white men can't jump etc etc all about. breaking stereotypes about what was perceived white/blacks could/shouldn't do...

(in reply to DeppBurtonAlliance)
Post #: 175
RE: The Black Bond Question - 14/4/2009 7:02:47 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Would you cast a black man as Superman?

Yes, why not? He's from another planet, isn't he? Why does he have to be white?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 176
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/4/2009 3:07:01 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Would you cast a black man as Superman?

Yes, why not? He's from another planet, isn't he? Why does he have to be white?

Because the creator of the character made him white?

That wasn't a trick question, I wasn't going on a 'there's no black people in space' direction.... just look at Lando Calrissian. He's a positive black/sci fi role model.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 177
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/4/2009 3:42:38 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

For the record though,i think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be good for the part if they do make him black.

The only Bond related thing I think I've ever agreed with you on...

There is no need to make Bond black for the sake of it.  However, if you take the case in point of the new Doctor Who, he's 14 years old but as The Moff and his producer said, he was simply the best actor for the job that they auditioned.  So how would people feel if the next Bond was, say, Ejiofor and he was cast for precisely those reasons?  They're casting not for a gimmick but casting the best acting fit for the role.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 178
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 7:50:23 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

ORIGINAL: thatlittlemonkey

There is no need to make Bond black for the sake of it.  However, if you take the case in point of the new Doctor Who, he's 14 years old but as The Moff and his producer said, he was simply the best actor for the job that they auditioned.  So how would people feel if the next Bond was, say, Ejiofor and he was cast for precisely those reasons?  They're casting not for a gimmick but casting the best acting fit for the role.

do you not think Craig was a 'gimmick?' Bond is a multi-million franchise...gimmicks is exactly where they are coming from...watch this space..Bond WILL be black in the not so distant future...

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 179
RE: The Black Bond Question - 15/5/2009 8:30:01 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

If someone wants to make a secret agent film with any race/creed as the lead, then that's great and I'll look forward to it. But Bond is a white Brit. Leave the fuck alone.
Exactly. If they make a Bond film with a black person in the lead, I quit. And I'm the opposite of racist.  Can you really compare changing the skin colour of a recurring character who almost always has a new actor portrating him to changing the skin colour of perhaps the most famous film character ever?
It's not like there are no white actors to choose from

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Black Bond Question Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI