Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Black Bond Question

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Black Bond Question Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Black Bond Question - 23/11/2012 12:29:57 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tidus

I wish people would lighten up and not be so offended at Bond possibly being black one day.

Nobody here has expressed offence about Bond being played by a black actor. Everybody here has been very careful and intelligent with how they've articulated their arguments for why it probably wouldn't work. You've taken those arguments and spun them into something negative.

quote:

By the way I'm white and I seriously think that people can be as racist as they like towards us, it doesn't bother me as we have a history of not being very nice to black people.

Wow really? So here's you yelling racism at everyone who's expressed doubts about a black Bond and now you're saying you're actually OK with white people being subjected to racism? Can't you see how contradictory that is?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 23/11/2012 12:33:20 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 601
RE: The Black Bond Question - 23/11/2012 2:46:42 AM   
Tidus

lol, fair dooz i may have taken this too far but in my defense I had ran out of things to say.

I think Bond should be black though because he is a cool guy and black people are way cooler than white people.

AS for GINGER!!!! Bond, not even if he was a horse.......ok maybe if he was a horse

I'm not here, this isn't happening

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 602
RE: The Black Bond Question - 23/11/2012 6:15:22 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

black people are way cooler than white people.

Seriously, can you honestly not see how saying things like this are racist? One group of people are better than another group of people based solely on the colour of their skin?

The easiest way to tell if something is racist - IF IT'S NOT FUCKING OBVIOUS IN THE FIRST PLACE - is to reverse the sentiment.

"white people are way cooler than black people."

Yeah, sounds pretty racist right? WHAT YOU SAID IS THE EXACT SAME THING.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 603
RE: The Black Bond Question - 23/11/2012 6:52:51 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

I think Bond should be black though because he is a cool guy and black people are way cooler than white people.

Ladies and gentlemen - the new James Bond!

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 604
RE: The Black Bond Question - 23/11/2012 8:49:58 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

lol, fair dooz i may have taken this too far but in my defense I had ran out of things to say.

Might I humbly suggest you ran out of things to say a few pages ago

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 605
RE: The Black Bond Question - 23/11/2012 8:51:18 AM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

I would watch the fuck out of that movie!

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 606
RE: The Black Bond Question - 23/11/2012 10:09:17 AM   
Happy Shrapnel

A GINGER DANIEL ( Craig )

That sounds familiar.......

In John Le Mesurier's last words........

' Its All Been Rather Lovely '

Happy Trails

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 607
RE: The Black Bond Question - 23/11/2012 11:43:17 AM   
Tidus

quote:

quote:

I rest my case.

We really need a new thread

Post #: 608
RE: The Black Bond Question - 23/11/2012 8:55:35 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Well, I'm sold.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 609
RE: The Black Bond Question - 23/11/2012 10:07:19 PM   
siegfried

quote:

Tidus, you're not only a racist moron, but even more unforgivably you're fucking boring. Go away.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 610
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 3:19:14 AM   
Tidus

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

Tidus, you're not only a racist moron, but even more unforgivably you're fucking boring. Go away.

ouch! that really hurt it was the swear word that made it, I was so eager to gain your approval, please forgive me.

FYI How can the conceptualist of Horsebond ever be deemed boring? I'll have you know sir that my input on this thread, re: Horsebond, will go down in the ages and future generations shall chant my name and dance wildly in the moonlight.

Also I'm not a racist in any way shape or form, If you're referring to the derogatory comments I have made towards white people then I'll remind you that I'm white so whatever I say about the race can't be construed as racist now can it?

Is Chris Rock being racist when he does stand up and talks about black people being dumb in various ways?

If anyone says that white people are in fact cooler than black people I don't think that's racist I just think it's false.

I also don't believe the whole "reversal" thing really holds up properly either.

I doubt you would get a good reception from singing "say it loud, I'm white and proud" on karaoke anywhere other than a BNP meeting to be fair.

I might have gone too far in implying people's motive's against a black Bond where racist but after this lengthy thread I'm fairly sure none of you meant it that way.

If anyone else feels that I'M a racist would they please explain why?

Also in addition to siegfried original comment, Is being boring worse than being an exciting go-getting racist? Think that one through because I don't think it is

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 611
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 3:29:00 AM   
Shifty Bench

To be fair, Tidus, you have been told to stop by a Mod. Twice.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 612
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 8:29:57 AM   
snaze1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

To be fair, Tidus, you have been told to stop by a Mod. Twice.

The fact that he is talking like a cunt hasn't stopped him so i doubt being told twice by a Mod will do the trick

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 613
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 8:33:03 AM   
siegfried

Best case for banning from the Forum I've come across in quite some time.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to snaze1)
Post #: 614
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 8:46:00 AM   
jonson

Whenever I see this thread now I keep thinking of the old Brooke Bond TV adverts (anyone as old as me will remember them) where Bond was actually replaced by a monkey.
In the light of ClattenburgGate, I'm now wondering if there were slight racist sentiments behind it all. Or even if there wasn't, it could be tenuously suggested, which seem to be the norm nowadays.
That's it, I'm definately not having PG Tips again.
Yorkshire Tea! Yorkshire tea! Yorkshire tea!

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 615
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 10:09:11 AM   
sanchia

quote:

Also in addition to siegfried original comment, Is being boring worse than being an exciting go-getting racist? Think that one through because I don't think it is

The two go hand in hand, racists are by definition boring as they tend top be blinkered and only see things one way, often resort to predictable stereotype and ignore fact in preference to opinion. There is not such thing as an exciting racist as they are (in my experience) highly predictable and repetitive and I have never met nor heard of an exciting and go getting one.

With regards to this the question raised, I do not think it is so much a question of why is there not a black Bond but rather why are there not more exciting and enduring roles out there for black characters overall?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 616
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 10:27:13 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Also I'm not a racist in any way shape or form, If you're referring to the derogatory comments I have made towards white people then I'll remind you that I'm white so whatever I say about the race can't be construed as racist now can it?

Yes. Yes it can. Because it is.

quote:

Is Chris Rock being racist when he does stand up and talks about black people being dumb in various ways?

Yes. Yes he is.
quote:

If anyone says that white people are in fact cooler than black people I don't think that's racist I just think it's false.

No. That's still racist.

quote:

I also don't believe the whole "reversal" thing really holds up properly either.

I doubt you would get a good reception from singing "say it loud, I'm white and proud" on karaoke anywhere other than a BNP meeting to be fair.

I think you just disproved your own point by demonstrating how the reversal can easily be seen as racist.

quote:

I might have gone too far in implying people's motive's against a black Bond where racist but after this lengthy thread I'm fairly sure none of you meant it that way.

If anyone else feels that I'M a racist would they please explain why?

I think, and others may correct me, but it's probably when you say racist things. That's often the clue that someone is racist. Saying racist things.

quote:

I believe "humorous context" is at play there.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 617
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 11:29:08 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Yes. Yes he is.

He's not. He's not saying black people are dumb because they're black. He's talking about social structures more than race. It's not the really obvious trolling of saying black people are cooler than white people.

Post #: 618
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 11:30:43 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Yes. Yes he is.

He's not. He's not saying black people are dumb because they're black. He's talking about social structures more than race. It's not the really obvious trolling of saying black people are cooler than white people.

On the information provided above, it sounded like he was. Not having seen his stand up, I could only go on the info given here.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 619
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 11:42:56 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Yes. Yes he is.

On the information provided above, it sounded like he was. Not having seen his stand up, I could only go on the info given here.

I'd assumed you hadn't, yeah.

Post #: 620
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 1:50:02 PM   
Tidus

I haven't said anything remotely racist, I may have slagged of white people a bit but being white I'm allowed to do that.

I believe that generally black guys have a suaveness that most white guys don't possess.

What's racist about that?

I may be opinionated and controversial but I'm not racist in any way, unless you believe I'm racist against myself which makes no sense.

"School shootings was invented by the black man and stolen by the white man"
Is this Chris Rock quote racist?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 621
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 1:52:25 PM   
Tidus

I haven't said anything remotely racist, I may have slagged of white people a bit but being white I'm allowed to do that.

I believe that generally black guys have a suaveness that most white guys don't possess.

What's racist about that?

I may be opinionated and controversial but I'm not racist in any way, unless you believe I'm racist against myself which makes no sense.

"School shootings was invented by the black man and stolen by the white man"
Is this Chris Rock quote racist?

quote:

I think you just disproved your own point by demonstrating how the reversal can easily be seen as racist.

So James Brown's original "Say it loud, I'm black and proud" is racist?

< Message edited by Tidus -- 24/11/2012 1:53:04 PM >

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 622
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 1:59:52 PM   
elab49

Irrespective of anything else, the idea that you can't exhibit racist attitudes to your own race is, in fact, nonsense. So I honestly wouldn't try to use that as an excuse. All you need to do to demonstrate that is read the writing of any swivel eyed zealot anytime a jew criticises the actions of the Israeli government - the term self-hate is banded about a lot.

This discussion is not about your comments so can we now ask you to either take further discussion on this to PMs or remove it to a more appropriate part of the Board. Site rules ask users not to drag threads off topic and this one has gone way off that.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 623
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 6:17:17 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

You really don't get this do you? Black people for years were seen as the minority. Racist white pricks saying 'I'm white and I'm proud' is used as an insult towards other races. It's basically saying 'Glad I'm not black, I'm better than you'. When a black man says 'I'm black and I'm proud' they are doing so in defiance to their oppressors. There's the difference.

Bloody hell, won't you just stop already?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 624
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2012 6:46:55 PM   
paul_lfc

I thought you were the one arguing there was no difference between a white and black person culturally, now you're saying the whole race group is cooler than the other race group so obviously you think there is a difference...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 625
RE: The Black Bond Question - 25/11/2012 2:52:53 AM   
Tidus

quote:

quote:

You really don't get this do you? Black people for years were seen as the minority. Racist white pricks saying 'I'm white and I'm proud' is used as an insult towards other races. It's basically saying 'Glad I'm not black, I'm better than you'. When a black man says 'I'm black and I'm proud' they are doing so in defiance to their oppressors. There's the difference.

yes I know this was my point.

I'm leaving this thread alone now coz it has been totally derailed but I would like to point out that I'm not a racist and although I may have said some derogatory things about white people I believe I'm allowed to do this being white myself.

Peace.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 626
RE: The Black Bond Question - 25/11/2012 7:15:05 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

I'm not a racist

I have said some derogatory things about white people

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 627
RE: The Black Bond Question - 25/11/2012 9:10:03 AM   
TORINO

I'm a black man and I don't think Bond should be played by a black actor Bond is white. What I do think is that there is scope for a new agent definitely played by Idris Elba, who can come from the same department as 007 with a 00 licence to kill, with the same particular kind of skills as James B, just as ruthless and cool and answering to M. We know Bond is a franchise so they obviously want to keep that cash cow going, but the audience isn't stupid and it wouldn't take long for them to figure out that this new guy is from the same cast as Bond, there's no reason why there can't be other 00s with different skin tones. I remember watching Thunderball years and years ago and being thrilled at the sight of seeing Bond walk into this conference room with other agents, at that moment I wanted to know more about them, what they were like, what projects they'd been working on in the world of espionage. That's a prime opportunity to kickstart a new franchise right there, surely I can't be the only one who loves the idea of other agents around the world doing their thing whilst Bond is doing his elsewhere!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 628
RE: The Black Bond Question - 25/11/2012 9:25:20 AM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm leaving this thread alone now coz it has been totally derailed but I would like to point out that I'm not a racist and although I may have said some derogatory things about white people I believe I'm allowed to do this being white myself.
Peace.

It's not the derogatory things that make you sound like an idiot, it's the fact that you said racism against one particular group of people is bad but racism against a different group is fine.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 629
RE: The Black Bond Question - 25/11/2012 11:07:44 AM   
paul_lfc

quote:

quote:

quote:

Peace.

Hitler said some derogatory things about Poles & Slavs but its all cool, he's white himself

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Black Bond Question Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI