Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Black Bond Question

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Black Bond Question Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Black Bond Question - 19/11/2012 10:26:54 PM   
Tidus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Yeah some Latino people do look British but what does that have to do with anything?

Not trying to be a dick btw just curious why you wrote that.

My endless annoyance with Americans trying to label a language-group as varied as Hispanics as one thing or race.

Hispanics and Latinos are different btw.

I'm not here, this isn't happening

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 541
RE: The Black Bond Question - 19/11/2012 10:56:22 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tidus

quote:

quote:

Yeah some Latino people do look British but what does that have to do with anything?

Not trying to be a dick btw just curious why you wrote that.

My endless annoyance with Americans trying to label a language-group as varied as Hispanics as one thing or race.

Hispanics and Latinos are different btw.

Depends on how you define them...

quote:

The United States Census uses the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."[13]

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 542
RE: The Black Bond Question - 19/11/2012 11:07:02 PM   
Hood_Man

Is it possible that the reason people are getting so worked up at the moment is because you played the race card and caused offence?

People are entitled to their opinions, including you. However, attempting to stifle them by throwing such accusations around is pretty bigoted in itself:

Bigotry: Stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigotry

Also:
quote:

Bond being gay would be a step too far in my opinion with him being the typical red blooded male action hero the fans love.

A few things here. One, why can't a gay man be a red blooded action hero? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and allow you to clarify this before jumping to conclusions, but since we're partly changing Bond's cultural background with the thread title's suggestion already, why not continue by changing something that would be seen on screen for an aggregated total of only a few minutes?

Two, which fans? Without referring to extremely broad and unspecific terms like "Fans in general," why wouldn't a portion of the character's fans appreciate a Bond who fell for men? Or Bi Bond?

You say the colour of a person's skin doesn't matter at all, can't you say the same for their most intimate desires?

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 543
RE: The Black Bond Question - 19/11/2012 11:17:46 PM   
Hood_Man

Also, in case I get accused of racism or something, I would like to nominate the following as the most culturally offensive thing I've posted in this thread:
quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

Or he could be a rough, bald, fat Glaswegian called Jimmah!

AND 99% OF THE PLANET WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD HE SAYS

Eeeh Q Auight! I wee off tae goan down tae sort some fuckers doin wha'eva an I'll come by la'er wee yoo!

Hey, Blofeld, get tae fuck!

I'm half Scottish, I'm allowed to do that!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 544
RE: The Black Bond Question - 19/11/2012 11:22:54 PM   
Shifty Bench

I'm fully Scottish and I laughed and approved

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 545
RE: The Black Bond Question - 19/11/2012 11:30:56 PM   
Tidus

quote:

Depends on how you define them

Latino /lęˈtinoʊ/ or /ləˈtinoʊ/[1] is a term used chiefly in the United States to refer to people of Latin American extraction or descent, though the term has also been incorrectly used as a synonym for Hispanic. Hispanic is a narrower term which only refers to persons of Spanish-speaking origin or ancestry, while "Latino" is more frequently used to refer more generally to anyone of Latin American origin or ancestry,

quote:

quote:

Bond being gay would be a step too far in my opinion with him being the typical red blooded male action hero the fans love.

A few things here. One, why can't a gay man be a red blooded action hero? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and allow you to clarify this before jumping to conclusions, but since we're partly changing Bond's cultural background with the thread title's suggestion already, why not continue by changing something that would be seen on screen for an aggregated total of only a few minutes?

Two, which fans? Without referring to extremely broad and unspecific terms like "Fans in general," why wouldn't a portion of the character's fans appreciate a Bond who fell for men? Or Bi Bond?

You say the colour of a person's skin doesn't matter at all, can't you say the same for their most intimate desires?

The term I used was TYPICAL red blooded male action hero which I think you would agree aren't typically gay.
I think it would be a step too far for Bond to be gay, you can make the argument that "how is his sexuality different to his skin tone" but then you can also say how is changing what planet he's from or what species he is any different.

I could see people's point if their charismatic ladies man and all round well hard super spy suddenly started boning guys and they thought it was kind of weird and out of character.

By the fans I mean, seriously, most Bond fans would not like gay Bond.

Also obviously people's skin colour and sexuality doesn't matter but I would prefer James Bond to stay as basically the same spy and I don't think his skin colour would make a blind bit of difference.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 546
RE: The Black Bond Question - 19/11/2012 11:34:02 PM   
Tidus

quote:

People are entitled to their opinions, including you. However, attempting to stifle them by throwing such accusations around is pretty bigoted in itself:

Bigotry: Stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

This is sort of like saying:

Aren't we supposed to be living in a multicultural democracy? And isn't that the point? You know, the Jews, the Muslims and the racists all living together happily side by side, doing and saying whatever the hell they like?

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 547
RE: The Black Bond Question - 19/11/2012 11:50:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Latino /lęˈtinoʊ/ or /ləˈtinoʊ/[1] is a term used chiefly in the United States to refer to people of Latin American extraction or descent, though the term has also been incorrectly used as a synonym for Hispanic. Hispanic is a narrower term which only refers to persons of Spanish-speaking origin or ancestry, while "Latino" is more frequently used to refer more generally to anyone of Latin American origin or ancestry,

Yes but...

quote:

The United States Census uses the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race."[13]

...rightly or wrongly, the U.S.A. DO use the word as being synonomous with Hispanic.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 19/11/2012 11:53:56 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 548
RE: The Black Bond Question - 19/11/2012 11:52:13 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

quote:

The term I used was TYPICAL red blooded male action hero which I think you would agree aren't typically gay.
I think it would be a step too far for Bond to be gay, you can make the argument that "how is his sexuality different to his skin tone" but then you can also say how is changing what planet he's from or what species he is any different.

I could see people's point if their charismatic ladies man and all round well hard super spy suddenly started boning guys and they thought it was kind of weird and out of character.

Also obviously people's skin colour and sexuality doesn't matter but I would prefer James Bond to stay as basically the same spy and I don't think his skin colour would make a blind bit of difference.

There are an awful lot of generalisations here, and I'm not sure why you feel the need to compare a change in skin tone/sexuality to an alien life form. What's the distinction between "red blooded male" and "TYPICALLY red blooded male?" Have there been enough gay action heroes to jump to that conclusion?

Also, you say "suddenly started boning guys ()," how about "suddenly turned black?"

"Most fans would not like gay Bond" implies that you believe the majority should decide, what if the majority of people decided they were happy to stick with a white actor?

Do you see what I'm getting at here? You've aggressively defended your own point of view and yet immediately resorted to generalisations and stereotypes when confronted with an idea you don't support.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 549
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 12:03:01 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

This is sort of like saying:

Aren't we supposed to be living in a multicultural democracy? And isn't that the point? You know, the Jews, the Muslims and the racists all living together happily side by side, doing and saying whatever the hell they like?

I was pointing out the hypocrisy of someone debating tolerance in an intolerant manner.

I also don't watch Peep Show (I had to google that ).

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 550
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 12:11:26 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are an awful lot of generalisations here, and I'm not sure why you feel the need to compare a change in skin tone/sexuality to an alien life form. What's the distinction between "red blooded male" and "TYPICALLY red blooded male?" Have there been enough gay action heroes to jump to that conclusion?

Also, you say "suddenly started boning guys ()," how about "suddenly turned black?"

"Most fans would not like gay Bond" implies that you believe the majority should decide, what if the majority of people decided they were happy to stick with a white actor?

Do you see what I'm getting at here? You've aggressively defended your own point of view and yet immediately resorted to generalisations and stereotypes when confronted with an idea you don't support.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 551
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 12:13:07 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

See? STAMP OF APPROVAL PEOPLE!

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

They should get the boy who played Stringer Bell to be Bond. That'd work.

If it was gonna be a quine or wifie I suppose Winslet could pull it off.

What about an ethnically minor woman?

As for the above attempt at typed weegie... The devolved excuse for appropriating English practiced by the heathen in Scotland's urban jungle should remain limited to assaulting unfortunate ears. It lacks the character of the vastly superior Doric.

Stamp gone

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 552
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 12:19:51 AM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Tidus, I'm not attacking you by the way, and I'm not really against the idea of a Black Bond either. I think it could be an exciting idea, I just don't think that an argument that can be simplified down to "Why not?" is necessarily any better than an equally simple argument of "why?"

It could make for an interesting reboot along the line

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 553
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 1:22:01 AM   
Tidus

I know you're not attacking me but all I'm saying is changing skin colour is no different to changing hair colour.

Turning him gay would change the character and I think changing the character would be lame but changing the actor wouldn't.

This is why I feel I'm not jumping to stereotypes or generalizations when saying a gay Bond would be a bad move as I would prefer they didn't fuck with the character.

When I said "suddenly started boning guys" i thought that was what you were referring to when you said "something that would be seen on screen for an aggregated total of only a few minutes?" This would be shocking and out of character for Bond.

If he "suddenly turned black" that would be nothing more than when he "suddenly changed his face" which he done 6 times already.

quote:

..rightly or wrongly, the U.S.A. DO use the word as being synonomous with Hispanic.

If you read the quote that I pulled up you'll notice that all Hispanic people are Latino but not all Latino people are Hispanic.

I wish I had never started posting in this thread I feel like I'm turning into the political correctness police when that's one of the last things I am.

< Message edited by Tidus -- 20/11/2012 1:25:53 AM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 554
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 1:25:25 AM   
Tidus

Also the difference between typical red blooded male and red blooded male is the use of the word typical.

Typically (i.e generally) red blooded male action movie stars are not gay.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 555
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 1:32:21 AM   
MonsterCat

Are you saying gay people don't have red colored blood? HOMOPHOBIC!!!

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 556
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 1:47:29 AM   
Tidus

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Are you saying gay people don't have red colored blood? HOMOPHOBIC!!!

ermmm no, I'm saying how many heroes from action movies can you name that are gay?

If somebody was to come up with the basic template for a red blooded, mans man, action movie protagonist I very much doubt that being gay would be one of the criteria.

Unless I'm a gay homophobe which I'm pretty sure I'm not.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 557
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 1:48:12 AM   
MonsterCat

Poor attempt at a joke. Pay me no mind.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 558
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 1:58:58 AM   
Shifty Bench

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 559
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 2:03:05 AM   
Tidus

lol, What happened to this thread It's gotta so serious.

I much preferred it when we were making Horsebond puns

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 560
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 2:08:30 AM   
MonsterCat

My Donkey Bond idea is where the real money's at.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 561
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 3:32:48 AM   
Tidus

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

My Donkey Bond idea is where the real money's at.

HORSERACIST!!!!!!!

lol that clip of the guy punching the other guy in the cock reminded me of a bit from The Streetfighter with Sonny Chiba, If you've seen it you know which bit I'm talking about

< Message edited by Tidus -- 20/11/2012 3:35:27 AM >

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 562
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 7:41:44 AM   
jonson

Bond certainly can't be gay, can you imagine getting rid of the Aston Martin and having him drive around in a Nissan Juke?
I'd happily see a vertically challenged Bond though. In all seriousness, Peter Dinklage would be brilliant. Suave, funny, tough, one for the ladies, I reckon he'd make a great Bond.
Plus it would be harder to hit him if the evil henchman throws his shoe/hat as a weapon.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 563
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 8:19:25 AM   
UTB

Horsebond would be played by a white horse though, right?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 564
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 9:45:13 AM   
Tidus

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Horsebond would be played by a white horse though, right?

No we have already discussed this and it's either gotta be black beauty or Andy Serkis as black beauty and he has to be a proper red blooded horse's horse.

Campaign against gay Horsebond starts here!

I just added Horsebond to my spellcheck, it tried to say Horsebond had a hyphen.

Campaign against hyphenated Horsebond also starts here!

quote:

Bond certainly can't be gay, can you imagine getting rid of the Aston Martin and having him drive around in a Nissan Juke?

I know yeah, Appletini shaken not stirred

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 565
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 9:52:16 AM   
UTB

Fine, in which case I will set up blackbeautynothorsebond.com

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 566
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 10:06:11 AM   
Tidus

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Fine, in which case I will set up blackbeautynothorsebond.com

good look, I'll just send this badass horse (whom Horsebond is based upon) around your house to smash up your website with his mighty hooves.

p.s I'm not sure how you can smash a website with hooves but Horsebond, I mean Quentin, apparently does.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 567
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 11:42:14 AM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

See? STAMP OF APPROVAL PEOPLE!

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

They should get the boy who played Stringer Bell to be Bond. That'd work.

If it was gonna be a quine or wifie I suppose Winslet could pull it off.

What about an ethnically minor woman?

As for the above attempt at typed weegie... The devolved excuse for appropriating English practiced by the heathen in Scotland's urban jungle should remain limited to assaulting unfortunate ears. It lacks the character of the vastly superior Doric.

Stamp gone

Nah, boaby's disapproval is pretty much a stamp of approval in itself.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 568
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 1:12:03 PM   
great_badir

With all this pushing of Horsebond, I'm frankly offended about the blatant ignorance of other equidae, which is coming across as sheer bigotry. There are plenty of other zebras and donkeys who would be more than capable of portraying Horsebond. Why limit it to just horses?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Tidus)
Post #: 569
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/11/2012 1:37:00 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

With all this pushing of Horsebond, I'm frankly offended about the blatant ignorance of other equidae, which is coming across as sheer bigotry. There are plenty of other zebras and donkeys who would be more than capable of portraying Horsebond. Why limit it to just horses?

Can you imagine the horror of a campaign called Ass Not Bond?

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Black Bond Question Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI