Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Black Bond Question

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Black Bond Question Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Black Bond Question - 17/5/2009 5:07:12 PM   
Barraluke

A black bond is fine. But a dwarf bond? that would be fantastic, warrick davis 003.5

A naked American man stole my balloons.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 271
RE: The Black Bond Question - 17/5/2009 5:17:31 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

By that reckoning then you could have a 'wigger' Shaft! Thank god for Vanilla Ice and Eminem for making it more acceptable for white guys to be black!

Are you trying to scar me?

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 272
RE: The Black Bond Question - 17/5/2009 5:51:19 PM   
somekindof_battery

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

a black bond would be a gimmick nothing more. Wouldn't it be better to create an original black action hero rather than give an existing white one an ethnic makeover?

I'm not saying it SHOULD be done.  I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with it if it IS done.

quote:

I've just had an idea, let's remake Shaft but give Russell Crowe the lead role!!

Apples and oranges.

Shaft's M.O. and dialect is distinctly based in the urban black subculture.

Conversely, there is nothing about Bond's M.O. and dialect that is distinctly white.  Certainly not in today's world.

Good point. The fact that Shaft was black was kind of the whole point, it was a product of its time. The film wouldn't be the same if he was white.

That said, i don't see the point in a black Bond. It's an interesting idea and there's no reason not to do it other than to what extent people consider Bond films cannon. Some see them as all the missions of this one guy, others consider the name James Bond to be an alias passed between spys.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 273
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 10:30:40 AM   
Timon

The whole alias thing is ridiculous though. It's clearly one character and each 'incarnation' is essentially retconn'ed for the new time period, state of the world, etc

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 274
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 11:53:13 AM   
kaner316

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The whole alias thing is ridiculous though. It's clearly one character and each 'incarnation' is essentially retconn'ed for the new time period, state of the world, etc

also, if it was an alias, at some point in the 21 films this would have been addressed explicitely. There's been enough bad writing in the series to guarantee that some one would have referred to it at some point. the alias thing, while it could be a cool concept, is essentially flawed and wouldn't really work. Look at the xXx films. the second one works on the concept of the xXx moniker being passed along, and it loses all touch with the first, which, despite it's obvious weaknesses, is not the worst attempt at establishing an action franchise. the sequel, on the other hand, is the worst sequel I have ever seen, but that's besides the point.

I can see where certain posters are coming from with regards to selecting a black acor to play Bomd, but for me, it's not a racial issue to suggest he's a white character, as the series has been built on that presumption. However, while i don't feel being caucasian is Bonds defining characteristic, i do feel that the audience that the series has built has grown accustomed to it, and we all know how resistenmt to change some of them can be. I don't doubt that there are many ethnic actors out there who could play him, but by changing i think you'd end up disconnecting with the core audience. notwithstanding the fact that disputing the previous backstory of the character is counter-productive, i believe that there is little to be gained, both from a commercial and a social perspective from making this change. The producers are going to want to protect their proerty, and i think they will feel that a change like that would be too great a risk to attempt.

Bartlet: What do we do with him?
Sam: Make him the Ambassador to Paraguay.
Bartlet: What do we do with the Ambassador to Paraguay?
Sam: Make him Ambassador to Bulgaria.
Bartlet: I like this. Because, if everybody keeps moving up one, I can go home

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 275
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 11:58:15 AM   
Timon

Spot on Kaner. Completely agree.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to kaner316)
Post #: 276
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 12:31:26 PM   
dhowdy

all i'm gonna say on this one after not being accused of 'trolling' and not 'trying to make people jump through hoops' is this:

in a world of possibilities in which we live, it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE to cast a black man as James Bond and for that incarnation to appear on screen. My truck is not whether or not audiences will accept/like him or whether or not it makes any sense with regards to the history of Bond as written by Fleming.

I am just saying IT CAN BE DONE and if it can be done then BOND CAN BE BLACK. for me right or wrong doesnt come into it. and that is where i am coming from on this issue.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 277
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 2:11:41 PM   
Sugarman Treacle

quote:

ORIGINAL: dhowdy
I am just saying IT CAN BE DONE and if it can be done then BOND CAN BE BLACK.

Sure, you're right - it can be done. But it really shouldn't. I'm not saying that a black person can't do the role as good as a white person, because that's not true. There may be blacks who would do even a better job than some, infact. But there are things about Bond that you just can't change. The skin colour is one of those, his origin is another. Just imagine a black american Bond! It would just be wrong, at least in my eyes. If they can find a perfect man in the role however - who happens to be both those things, who am I to argue. But until then, I'm very sceptical to any changes like this. Let's keep the Bond that we've got, shall we.

< Message edited by Sugarman Treacle -- 20/5/2009 2:12:30 PM >

I'm turning turning turning turning turning around, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemmon-tree...

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 278
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 2:46:42 PM   
Andybee76

Casting a Black guy for Bond would be like casting a White guy for Shaft!!

It's just not right!!! I'm no racist but some things shouldn't change and Bond being white is one of them!!! But that said I'd rather of had Colin Salmon playing Bond like he was once touted to be, than Daniel Craig the Blonde Midget with the ugly face!!

I have and always will be, your friend

(in reply to Sugarman Treacle)
Post #: 279
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 6:00:16 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sugarman Treacle

quote:

I am just saying IT CAN BE DONE and if it can be done then BOND CAN BE BLACK.

Sure, you're right - it can be done. But it really shouldn't. I'm not saying that a black person can't do the role as good as a white person, because that's not true. There may be blacks who would do even a better job than some, infact. But there are things about Bond that you just can't change. The skin colour is one of those, his origin is another. Just imagine a black american Bond! It would just be wrong, at least in my eyes. If they can find a perfect man in the role however - who happens to be both those things, who am I to argue. But until then, I'm very sceptical to any changes like this. Let's keep the Bond that we've got, shall we.

my argument is that YOU CAN. whether you should or not is another story. It is possible to change the colour of his skin and his origin if someone so happened to do so.

i agree a black Bond would be odd and difficult to get used to but it CAN be done.

Post #: 280
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 6:32:36 PM   
CORLEONE

Hasn't this been written off as a terrible idea yet?

Hell, I welcome a Black secret agent story but his name can't be James Bond. Simple as.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 281
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 7:04:00 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Hell, I welcome a Black secret agent story but his name can't be James Bond. Simple as.

He CAN be black and his name CAN be James Bond.

it just might not go down very well...at first...

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 282
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 8:39:36 PM   
Sugarman Treacle

quote:

my argument is that YOU CAN. whether you should or not is another story. It is possible to change the colour of his skin and his origin if someone so happened to do so.

i agree a black Bond would be odd and difficult to get used to but it CAN be done.

Perhaps, perhaps. But Ian Fleming created Bond in a certain way, we should respect that. He created him as a white person, and nothing else.

< Message edited by Sugarman Treacle -- 20/5/2009 8:51:12 PM >

I'm turning turning turning turning turning around, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemmon-tree...

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 283
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 9:50:41 PM   
hatebox

I'm not sure a black man would be able to pull of the class and sophistication required for Bond.

Just kidding!

Post #: 284
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 11:09:40 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

quote:

Perhaps, perhaps. But Ian Fleming created Bond in a certain way, we should respect that. He created him as a white person, and nothing else.

well...it wouldn't be much of a discussion thread if we did now, would it?

Post #: 285
RE: The Black Bond Question - 20/5/2009 11:21:55 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

quote:

It would go down like a lead balloon and end the Bond franchise. Hence it'll never happen. Hence pointless discussion.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 286
RE: The Black Bond Question - 21/5/2009 9:25:25 AM   
kaner316

quote:

all i'm gonna say on this one after not being accused of 'trolling' and not 'trying to make people jump through hoops' is this:

in a world of possibilities in which we live, it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE to cast a black man as James Bond and for that incarnation to appear on screen. My truck is not whether or not audiences will accept/like him or whether or not it makes any sense with regards to the history of Bond as written by Fleming.

I am just saying IT CAN BE DONE and if it can be done then BOND CAN BE BLACK. for me right or wrong doesnt come into it. and that is where i am coming from on this issue.

this reminds me of a Chris Rock quote on being a single mother:

"You can do it, but that don't mean it's to be done, shit you can drive a car with your feet if you want to, that don't make it a good fuckin' idea...."

yes you could cast a black man as Bond. You could cast a geriatric zebra with 3 legs and a glass eye if you wanted to. but whether it's right or wrong for the character is a massive part of it. it's not a social issue, it's not a race issue, it's a character issue. whether you accept that the character was originally created white or not, it's commonly held that he is an upper class white Englishman of Scottish/Swiss descent. this is how he is perceived by the majority of the cinema going world.

Yes it would be brave and commendable to cast an actor of any ethnicity other than caucasian, but do you honestly think the Broccolli's are going to take any sort of risks with their cash cow?

Bartlet: What do we do with him?
Sam: Make him the Ambassador to Paraguay.
Bartlet: What do we do with the Ambassador to Paraguay?
Sam: Make him Ambassador to Bulgaria.
Bartlet: I like this. Because, if everybody keeps moving up one, I can go home

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 287
RE: The Black Bond Question - 21/5/2009 7:32:50 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

quote:

quote:

It would go down like a lead balloon and end the Bond franchise. Hence it'll never happen. Hence pointless discussion.

now unless you can see into the future, you can't really know that, can you? it is just your opinion...

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 288
RE: The Black Bond Question - 21/5/2009 7:34:29 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaner316

do you honestly think the Broccolli's are going to take any sort of risks with their cash cow?

personally, i think casting a black Bond would probably pull in a very large audience..wouldn't you want to see how it looked? just out of curiosity i mean?

and i say again. colour doth not a character make. it is your actions that define your character. what you choose to do...

< Message edited by dhowdy -- 21/5/2009 7:35:58 PM >

(in reply to kaner316)
Post #: 289
RE: The Black Bond Question - 21/5/2009 11:23:33 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

now unless you can see into the future, you can't really know that, can you? it is just your opinion...

Shit yes, it's my opinion and one shared by the vast majority. There's no need for prophecy to see this won't happen. It's not rocket science. What next, a Pakistani Jack Bauer? Nonsense.

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 290
RE: The Black Bond Question - 22/5/2009 12:47:15 AM   
cjmcc5150

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Shit yes, it's my opinion and one shared by the vast majority. There's no need for prophecy to see this won't happen. It's not rocket science. What next, a Pakistani Jack Bauer? Nonsense.

FFS, what would be next, a caucasian SHAFT or BLADE ... no, I didn't think so.

Are you talkin' to me ?

People come up to me and say, What's wrong?
Nothing.
Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile.
Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 291
RE: The Black Bond Question - 22/5/2009 7:51:52 AM   
dhowdy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

which majority are you referring to?  majority of whom? people on this forum? people in your house? show me this majority.

and why do people always refer to SHaft/Blade in counter argument to a black Bond?  SHaft was about a cop who was black. Bond is not about a man who is white. it is about a secret agent who happeend to be white.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 292
RE: The Black Bond Question - 22/5/2009 8:57:13 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

which majority are you referring to?  majority of whom? people on this forum? people in your house? show me this majority.

and why do people always refer to SHaft/Blade in counter argument to a black Bond?  SHaft was about a cop who was black. Bond is not about a man who is white. it is about a secret agent who happeend to be white.

Most of the people on this forum seem to agree it's bad idea. Bond's a white guy. Why? Because Ian Fleming said so.

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 293
RE: The Black Bond Question - 22/5/2009 12:48:15 PM   
dhowdy

Look, Fleming also said he was 6' + with dark hair yet we have a 5'11 Bond with blonde hair. Next time he might be slightly tanned and so on until the next thing you know he is black. the degree of change being so slight over the years that you would barely notice.

an idea cannot neither be good or bad. the result of said idea can have a positive or negative effect on people. as it hasn't happened yet we cannot say whether a black Bond would be positive or negative. i suspect it depends largely on who is doing the viewing.

i could not accept a black Bond TODAY because that is where i live. I cannot speak for TOMORROW because I am not in the tomorrow.

YESTERDAY they said the earth was flat. TODAY they say it is round/elliptical. who's to say what they will say TOMORROW.

that is where i stand on the issue.

< Message edited by dhowdy -- 22/5/2009 12:50:31 PM >

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 294
RE: The Black Bond Question - 22/5/2009 12:51:14 PM   
Timon

quote:

an idea cannot neither be good or bad.

Final Solution = bad.

quote:

YESTERDAY they said the earth was flat. TODAY they say it is round. who's to say what they will say TOMORROW.

I reckon, they'll still say it's round.

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 295
RE: The Black Bond Question - 22/5/2009 1:04:17 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

quote:

Final Solution = bad.

quote:

YESTERDAY they said the earth was flat. TODAY they say it is round. who's to say what they will say TOMORROW.

either way its still a guess.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 296
RE: The Black Bond Question - 22/5/2009 9:40:45 PM   
Sugarman Treacle

quote:

Look, Fleming also said he was 6' + with dark hair yet we have a 5'11 Bond with blonde hair. Next time he might be slightly tanned and so on until the next thing you know he is black. the degree of change being so slight over the years that you would barely notice.

I can see what you mean, dh. Many of the actors may not reflect Fleming's original description perfectly. But then again, it's not easy to find the perfect man for the role - who fits all the details from the right hair colour to the exact height! And to be honest, I doubt that there are any man out there who looks exactly what Bond is supposed to do. We should all accept that, and try not to be too fastidious about it. There will always be a few things that doesn't correspond to the discription to the full. Let's live with it.

Some of the things however are almost impossible to change, in order not to create a entirely different character. Things that would change too much of a characters look that he/she wouldn't be the same person anymore. The skin colour is one of them. It has a very big impact on a person, whether we like it or not, A black person has a totally different charisma than a white person. It's just how it is. Not that that has to be a bad thing all the time, but that's another story...

< Message edited by Sugarman Treacle -- 22/5/2009 9:41:30 PM >

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 297
RE: The Black Bond Question - 22/5/2009 10:03:25 PM   
dhowdy

quote:

I can see what you mean, dh. Many of the actors may not reflect Fleming's original description perfectly. But then again, it's not easy to find the perfect man for the role - who fits all the details from the right hair colour to the exact height! And to be honest, I doubt that there are any man out there who looks exactly what Bond is supposed to do. We should all accept that, and try not to be too fastidious about it. There will always be a few things that doesn't correspond to the discription to the full. Let's live with it.

Some of the things however are almost impossible to change, in order not to create a entirely different character. Things that would change too much of a characters look that he/she wouldn't be the same person anymore. The skin colour is one of them. It has a very big impact on a person, whether we like it or not, A black person has a totally different charisma than a white person. It's just how it is. Not that that has to be a bad thing all the time, but that's another story...

now, i'm pretty sure you don't mean what you say there so i'm not going to pick up on that. i know you're not actually saying that black people have a different charisma to whites. because charisma is something some whites have, some whites dont, some blacks have, some blacks dont, right?

i'm guessing what you mean is that they have a different world-view than whites that's what i'm thinking. please tell me i'm correct.
anyhoo. i agree with the lot of you. a black Bond is just absurd. so lets not waste any more time discussing it...live and let live, i say....

< Message edited by dhowdy -- 22/5/2009 10:05:38 PM >

Post #: 298
RE: The Black Bond Question - 22/5/2009 10:48:51 PM   
MathewRed

quote:

quote:

quote:

Final Solution = bad.

quote:

either way its still a guess.

It's not a guess, it's a scientifically proved fact.

We're as similar as two dissimilar things in a pod

(in reply to dhowdy)
Post #: 299
RE: The Black Bond Question - 22/5/2009 11:47:08 PM   
dhowdy

that's what they said to Galileo...or words to that effect...

apart from pictures and movies, have you ever actually seen our planet earth to be able to tell what it looks like? i have not. i have seen what others have seen but have not seen it myself. i believe what i have been told but what if...?.....just what if it wasn't so? like in Capricorn One where they pretend to go to the moon or mars or whatever...

< Message edited by dhowdy -- 23/5/2009 12:42:01 AM >

(in reply to MathewRed)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: The Black Bond Question Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI