Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Black Bond Question

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> The Black Bond Question Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 12:28:56 PM   
Timon

Following Barack Obama’s election as the first African-American president in U.S. history, 007 star Daniel Craig suggested it was time for the first black James Bond. Jamie Foxx lept on this idea with his usual gusto.

“Of course!” Foxx told Access, when asked if he could see himself playing the part. “I’d put a little swing in it. A little hip-hop, you know.”

And while Foxx said the British accent isn’t a problem for him, there is one key Bond component he’d have to change.

“Maybe not drinking martinis, but drinking some Hennessey maybe,” Foxx joked. “Bond would drink dark liquor.”

“I was in London and I had to give an award to Daniel Craig… and I went up and said, ‘Bond. Black Bond.’ And everybody just lost it,” Foxx added. “Black Bond would be cool.”

Now the Black Bond question is a complicated one, but I feel it boils down to this. Is Bond a character or a concept?

Now if Bond is a character then he's a half Scot/half French Swiss orphan that works for MI6 with his licence to kill that at the end is white...
If he's just a template that can be folded around around any actorm then there's no problem why a black actor can't play Bond.

For me personally though, Bond is a well established literary and cinema character. His history is well established (although updated to contemporary times everytime a new actor plays him) and at the end of the day... he is white. You can't get away from that. As an half-Asian man myself, I know I'll never play James Bond but damm, I want to be him.

Currently there's an IMDB thread of the QOS board 'debating' the Black Bond question that has essentially come down to racism vs positive discrimination (unsurprisingly) but is that a fair point. Would it be a representation of British society that should be celebrated OR is that the sort of thing that really has no place in deeming what colour a well established character is? Would you cast a white actor as Shaft or Blade? Does it even matter?! Is it JUST a character that can be played by anyone?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 12:37:35 PM   
directorscut

Can't be much worse that what we currently have.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 12:41:03 PM   
Timon

It begins.....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 3
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 12:49:18 PM   
Monkeyshaver

No.
007 is white.
Casting a black actor would be just a gimmick.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 12:53:31 PM   
Felix

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 5
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 12:55:11 PM   
grucl

Enter Darth Silas in 5,4,3,...

Post #: 6
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:20:59 PM   
kumar

no, i think he should be kept white. though you had an idea timon a few months back about a cross over with bollywood with shah rukh khan as the villian for the film. im still salivating at that lol.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 7
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:26:00 PM   
spark1

leave it to vin-'xxx 3' is out in 2009.
oh, and modesty blaze is the female bond.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:32:58 PM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

As much as I wholehartedly believe in everyone's inalienable right to freedom of beliefs,

Change the record at least once every 5 years eh?

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

Post #: 9
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:39:01 PM   
CORLEONE

As said before Bond's a white guy. If they wanna make up a black MI6 agent that's cool. But it can't be Bond. What next, a white Blade?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 10
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:39:37 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ripper

quote:

As much as I wholehartedly believe in everyone's inalienable right to freedom of beliefs,

Change the record at least once every 5 years eh?

Agreed.

The Daniel Craig is one of the best/the best Bond and if you don't agree you need to shut up record really needs to stop.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 11
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:46:14 PM   
Timon

But on to the actual question in hand.....

Would a Black Bond be nothing more than a gimmick or does the role/character allow for such a reinterpretation?

Post #: 12
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:50:54 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 13
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:53:57 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon
"I'd put a little swing in it. A little hip-hop, you know.”

And that, Mr Foxx, is why you will never be Bond.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:57:09 PM   
krudler

Since a lot of the Bond diehards freaked about a guy with blonde hair playing him they'd probably lose their minds (in a non racist way) about a black guy playing him

what this will boil down to is:

Well known and originally white character being played by black man= progressive and breaking the mold

Well known and originally black character being played by white man= filthy racism and another example of us whiteys keeping the black man down (also see the Tropic Thunder "blacking up" argument)

I wouldnt have a problem with a black guy playing Bond at all, he's been played by a few different actors and theres no definitive one as everyone has their favourite, if it was a case of say, a black Indiana Jones then it wouldnt work as Ford IS that character, but it would be an interesting take on the role of Bond alright, the black guy who was the other MI6 agent in TND and TWINE would make a great Bond, cant for the life of me remember his name though

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:58:27 PM   
Felix

What we need in the movie world is a male Ripley.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 16
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 1:59:27 PM   
Timon

Colin Salmon (played Robinson in the Bond films)

The thing is, when people say it'll be "progressive and breaking the mold", it just strikes me as change for change's sake. There's nothing REALLY that groundbreaking about it. It's nothing like Obama winning the presidency. If anything, it's just taking a well known and established character and changing it for no reason except to ride the current wave of change that's shaking the political world.

< Message edited by Timon -- 24/11/2008 2:21:42 PM >

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 17
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 2:23:54 PM   
Brett Sinclair

Having a black president is one thing, but it would just be wrong with a black Bond - even though I'm conviced one would play it just as good as a white.

Can be found as Sugarman Treacle

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 2:35:39 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

But on to the actual question in hand.....

Would a Black Bond be nothing more than a gimmick or does the role/character allow for such a reinterpretation?

It would just be a gimmick. Can't see how simply changing his ethnicity would be a reinterpretation. & the character IS white. It would be as silly as remaking Shaft with John Travolta & would add nothing to the role other than generate press attention.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 2:38:44 PM   
will1000

For the record, Blade was originally a white character (in the comics and Spiderman Cartoons) but seeing as he wasn't really all that established in the eyes of the masses there was no problem re-inventing him as a black character for the films.

But I agree with the above 'Shaft' comment. Imagine if a load of Blaxploitation films were remade with white guys as the lead characters, L.A would burn again (metaphorically speaking).

The idea of a black Bond may work in theory as long as the character remained the same (i.e not making him a stereotypical black guy like Jamie Foxx would...Henessey?! Hip-hop?!...tool!) but where do you draw the line? A black Harry Potter? A black Jack Ryan? I'm not racist or anything, but come on...be sensible!

Also why Jamie Foxx?! He's American! Are there no talented black British actors around?!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 2:39:33 PM   
grucl

Yo, „Blowfeld"! I'mna put a fuckin cap in yor ass! Youknowimsayin? Shiiiit, nigga I'mna fuck you up! Fo shizzle!

Sounds great!

< Message edited by grucl -- 24/11/2008 2:40:48 PM >

(in reply to Brett Sinclair)
Post #: 21
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 2:43:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

I honestly wouldn't care as long as it is the right man for the job. That above everything else is important.

And do we honestly think that a guys skin colour will somehow change the style of Bond? I'm pretty sure the basic formula will remain the same.

But no to Salmon, he just isn't that great of an actor. Was funny how he pretty much died the same way in both of the Paul W Anderson films he starred in.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 24/11/2008 2:44:17 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 22
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 2:46:50 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: will1000

For the record, Blade was originally a white character (in the comics and Spiderman Cartoons) but seeing as he wasn't really all that established in the eyes of the masses there was no problem re-inventing him as a black character for the films.

But I agree with the above 'Shaft' comment. Imagine if a load of Blaxploitation films were remade with white guys as the lead characters, L.A would burn again (metaphorically speaking).

The idea of a black Bond may work in theory as long as the character remained the same (i.e not making him a stereotypical black guy like Jamie Foxx would...Henessey?! Hip-hop?!...tool!) but where do you draw the line? A black Harry Potter? A black Jack Ryan? I'm not racist or anything, but come on...be sensible!

Also why Jamie Foxx?! He's American! Are there no talented black British actors around?!

I thought Blade was always black? Introduced back in the 70s in Tomb Of Dracula probably cashing in on the blaxploitation boom.

I agree with your other points, what other characters will get an ethnic makeover?
More to the point the whole black Bond debate misses the real issue. Instead of casting a black actor as Bond why not just create a strong original action hero who is black or from another ethnic minority. God knows they are few & far between (apart from the overexposed Will Smith!)

< Message edited by Monkeyshaver -- 24/11/2008 2:47:31 PM >

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 23
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 2:48:34 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44
And do we honestly think that a guys skin colour will somehow change the style of Bond? I'm pretty sure the basic formula will remain the same.

So why do it? It would be nothing more than a gimmick!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 24
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 2:52:05 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver
Instead of casting a black actor as Bond why not just create a strong original action hero who is black or from another ethnic minority. God knows they are few & far between (apart from the overexposed Will Smith!)

That's what I always wondered. There are plenty of fantastic black actors out there; Chiwtel Ejifor, Djimon Housonu, Denzel Washington... why not seemly create a strong, positive black character instead of a black actor simply taking over a role.

Plus it would perhaps force filmmakers/writers to use their imagination. Blade was a good example but they sunk that ship with Blade Trinity. xXx just failed. There's always talk of a Black Panther film but why not simply create an original character?

Post #: 25
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 3:00:38 PM   
Sad Professor

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 3:24:21 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: surveyofsociety

Priests don't want a black bond?!?

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 27
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 3:31:52 PM   
Sad Professor

Where I'm from ,  the only thing they want is a black uniform.

Is it not racist to be using the word "black"  so generally anyway ?
Obama's skin isn't black, it's mocha

Post #: 28
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 3:54:08 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: surveyofsociety

Is it not racist to be using the word "black"  so generally anyway ?

no

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 29
RE: The Black Bond Question - 24/11/2008 4:01:16 PM   
UTB

If Bond is going to be Black, there's only ONE man for the job...

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> The Black Bond Question Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI