Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 17/11/2009 4:00:26 PM   
Roddersj04

how dare you give twilight four stars. at the most, it deserves two. this film was utter crap!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 181
- 17/11/2009 4:00:31 PM   
Roddersj04

how dare you give twilight four stars. at the most, it deserves two. this film was utter crap!

Post #: 182
RE: This is a joke - 17/1/2010 9:59:40 PM   
Francis46

Its reassuring to know that I wasn't the only one that thought this movie was infantile at best.

I aint getting on no plane!

(in reply to lipton village)
Post #: 183
It has an audience.... - 21/1/2010 2:40:00 AM   
otacons folly

Much like Dirty Dancing,girls of a certain age,intelligence and era will obsessively watch Twighlight over and over,probably with ice cream at that time of the month,wishing that all men were like Robert Pattison.
Truth is,like that ever so slightly peadophillic 50's set slush a thon,Twighlight is at best,average,at worst,absolute drivel.
Still,it has it's audience,and everyone can choose to see no more of this,i for one regret my curiousity and won't be watching another.

Post #: 184
RE: Has Empire Sold Out? - 3/2/2010 3:23:02 AM   
lopli321

This movie was a pile of trash. It was pure teeny boppy garbage. This was a complete disgrace to the source material, and should of never been adapted to screen.

'' Was that the boogey man?''
'' As a matter of fact... that was.''

(in reply to GFoley83)
Post #: 185
RE: Has Empire Sold Out? - 11/2/2010 6:30:51 PM   
Jwah

Total agreement. The cinematography was poor. The acting was dreadful. The script was APPALLING.

And what's worse, is that there are so many vampire films out there that are leagues above 'Twilight'.

(in reply to lopli321)
Post #: 186
An irrevocable fan! - 12/2/2010 1:18:49 AM   
Ian_Phoenix

Its quite funny all these years reading reviews about movies how people kick off when they have read the book and suddenly realise that the movie is so different. You surely cannot expect a book with 700 pages (like Breaking Dawn is) to be entirely transferred to the big screen. It is impossible! It always loses a bit of its magic. Nevertheless i borrowed the Twilight DVD from a friend when i heard about the twilight frenzy, And i can honestly say that i was irrevocably fascinated. I am sorry to all these men and women that didn't find it nice but i was shocked. Pattinson and stewart have an excellent chemistry. On the scene with the first kiss i cought myself holding my breath.
I then went to buy the books. Eclipse fascinated me so much that i couldnt stop reading. Breaking dawn is even better. Unfortunately i do not expect to be adaptated exactly on the big screen. It wasnt meant to be an Oscar nominated movie.
But i know this...Meyer's books and movies (mostly Twilight rather than New Moon) woke up feelings that i had as a teenager never expecting to resurface... when you think that the whole world revolves around your girlfriend/boyfriend. When you think that you can sucrifice anything for the one that you are in love with. Its pure, idealistic love and primal instict. Like the ones we had as teenagers and if someone never felt them its ok. You wont get the meaning behind it.
When i read the books i could see what Meyers was trying to do. Her goal wasnt to scare us with the vampires that we are used to have in our mind. Drinking blood and killin uncontrollably. The idea was to get the meaning of that Love-At-First-Sight. To wake up those feelings when we thought that we can conquer the world when we loved someone! And at the end of the day if she wants to make them glow, not having fangs or get out during the day...why not? Its called F-I-C-T-I-O-N! Last time i checked vampires didnt excist at all anyway so why are we in the position to compare them?

Post #: 187
Twilight - 14/3/2010 11:50:03 AM   
spartan24

I liked it. It was cool ! Thats about it.
And the fight at the end is CRAP.

Post #: 188
Great Film! - 7/4/2010 8:34:20 PM   
HanaJo

I'm a big time lover of vampire tales ever since I was a kid. When I heard about this film, I avoided it, I thought it sounded like a typical storyline and was not interested. However one day I was highly bored and decided to watch it so I could make a proper opinion on the film... After watching the Film I went online bought all the books, I'm compleatly hooked.
I think the story is a fascinating romance and is a fresh change then other teenage romance. The editing and Indie filming works perfectly and acting is great with little mixes of comedy. I loved this new interpretation on a modern vampire. The off putting moment in the film was the 'sparkling' side of the vampires, however they don't overplay this and was easily forgotten about.
Great adaptation of the books, and great movie!

Post #: 189
Surprising lack of substance - 7/4/2010 11:04:12 PM   
djphilips

I had high hopes for this one. For once, the books are actually quite good, consisting of brimming-with-potential plot, interesting characters and involving sybolism. But this film adaptation stuffs all of these shamelessly down the drain. Under Hardwicke's hand, the plot seems bare, the characters thin and boring, and no signs of symbolism are to be found.
The problem partly lies with the writing, which downgrades Meyer's efforts to typical teenage lust. Hardwicke, on the other hand, gives in and makes Twilight your typical teenage romance, when it could have been much more. Congratulations to Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson, who save this mess from being outright worthless.
Of course, none of all this applies if you are a teenage girl.

Post #: 190
Cringeworthily Bad! - 25/4/2010 11:14:25 AM   
JohnPaul1996

Seriously Empire,why did you hire a fourteen year old to do this review.You should be ashamed!Anyway,this movie sucks.Not only is the acting terrible,the book was crap aswell,how it got a directer,I don't know,I honestly don't understand why Bella and Edward love each other,like in the new one she wants to become a vampire so she can spend eternity with her new boyfriend.They are all so over dramatic.How could they last,all they talk about is how much they love each other,but why?They never tell a joke,they barely even talk about anything,they hardly even kissed.Bella just seems to love him anyway and,of course for his looks.The new vampire theories are so stupid,I never knew they glowed in the sunlight,did you?or had a passion for classical music and piano,baseball or climbing trees,next they'll be having water-baloon fights

Post #: 191
Shameful - 27/4/2010 2:48:51 PM   
Bizz90

and i mean the review, Will Lawrence has submitted no other reason for liking the film other than having no brain or imagination (i.e. being a fan of the books) or that you find "R-Pattz" fit. I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and Gray Sinise does that make The Stand a good movie!? NO IT DOES NOT!!!

Post #: 192
Its a girls film ! - 5/5/2010 2:08:14 PM   
elimonator

Guys will hate this, but girls won't !

Post #: 193
RE: Its a girls film ! - 18/6/2010 4:52:50 PM   
Danders98

quote:

ORIGINAL: elimonator

Guys will hate this, but girls won't !

Thats a tad sexist. I am a 14 year old girl and I DESPISE this movie. So be careful about how generalised you are.

(in reply to elimonator)
Post #: 194
Was ok - 11/10/2010 7:12:53 PM   
lakota

Sparkly vampires are a stupid idea, Kristen Stewart cannot act and she is really annoying to boot!

Post #: 195
- 28/5/2011 3:02:06 PM   
rachelparker

Just the idea of this makes me want to cry.

Post #: 196
Are people too quick to praise twilight? - 10/7/2011 9:47:25 PM   
trainedasninja

Girls only but Im surprised even they are not put off by such a anti-feministic cheerless character. Edward Cullen is a wooden as you would expect and the film is incredibly plotless and the romance eye rollingly cringey. If im going to be positive, this sets the fabric nicely for the series and at times entertaining enough. I know its not disatorous sure some of the scenes are fine. However if your not a teenage girl stay away - 2 stars

Post #: 197
Twilight Review - 30/12/2011 11:43:16 PM   
the film man

Having lost much of its bite transitioning to the big screen, Twilight will please its devoted fans, but do little for the uninitiated.

Post #: 198
Twilight review by Eleni Antonaropoulou - 28/1/2012 8:30:53 PM   
angelikicoconi

www.unsungfilms.com, by Eleni Antonaropoulou

Jan 28, 2012Eleni Antonaropoulouin AdaptationsNo Comments

First things first – Twilight is a vampire-romance novel written by Stephanie Meyer, published in 2005. Until ‘Little, Brown’ Publications realized the potential of this novel, ‘Twilight’ got rejected nearly 16 times. Reaching No. 5 on the New York Times Best Seller List within a month since its release, it took no time at all to rank No. 1. It managed to receive controversial reviews, without being a critics’ favorite, though it was quite obviously the people’s first choice. So why so much noise? It took me a while to figure it out and after reading it for second time I finally got it.

Stephanie Meyer wrote this book brilliantly: first of all, since it is a romance novel, it went back to basics, meaning that her characters, Bella and Edward are young, teenagers who fall in love for the first time, willing to sacrifice everything for their significant half, just like Romeo and Juliet or Heathcliff and Catherine. All the great romances in the history of literature have the adolescence of their characters in common. Having this in mind, Meyers took it a step further. She created thePerfect male character. Edward is the perfect guy. It is as if he fulfills the ideals that every woman or girl worldwide looks for. There is no female out there who hasn’t dreamed of this kind of perfection – of a man that will love no matter what, who is extremely handsome, protective, gentle, clever, rich, funny, strong, jealous, faithful, and mysterious. Edward is flawless, but having a perfect character isn’t interesting, it doesn’t give you much to elaborate on, so he has to have a flaw… and that is where Meyer gets it right, she makes him a vampire. Normally being a demon would overtake all the above, but it doesn’t and you know why? Because it is something that you simply cannot relate to! I

Post #: 199
you what? the acting is terrible - 28/8/2012 9:53:14 PM   
tysmuse

They can't act. Period. But that doesn't stop the film from being entertain nonsense.

Post #: 200
Twilight - 19/11/2012 2:42:51 AM   
norgizfox

Had it not be for the abnormal fan following (I blame the teen-centered casting), this could've made cult status. Still, its a sexy, stylish, and campy horror romance that'll work well with anyone wanting something new and original with their vampire obsession.

Post #: 201
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI