Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/10/2010 2:00:49 AM   
filmizle

I am just curious to know who the voters are in these lists and the sort of films they see, as there are only 11 female characters in it. Seriously, come on now.

< Message edited by Rinc -- 24/10/2010 10:04:37 AM >

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 241
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 20/2/2011 11:46:14 AM   
dimpfelmoser

Harry Potter is no Movie Character, is he?
He's from a book.
As are many others on that list but with Harry Potter it's pretty obvious.
A proper Movie Character would be Charlie Chaplin's Tramp.
Strangely enough that is not on the list.
Instead you get like, ten characters out of Star Wars.
It's mostly heroes and tough guys, right, but no real characters like say Alvy Singer or Rose Sayer.
Bummer.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 242
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 2/4/2011 5:20:14 PM   
Mr. Fincher

My top 10 would be:

10. James Bond (Pierce Brosnan)

9. Alfred Borden (Christian Bale)

8. Rango (Johnny Depp)

7. Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford)

6. The Man With No Name (Clint Eastwood)

5. The Joker (Heath Ledger)

4. Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem)

3. Smith (Hugo Weaving)

2. James Bond (Daniel Craig)

1. Morpheus (Laurence Fishburne)

Why the hell is Morpheus not on the list?! Or Borden!

(in reply to dimpfelmoser)
Post #: 243
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 3/4/2011 4:37:44 AM   
MACaver

The list was fine... I think but placement of characters were certainly out of order... there's also the missing most memorable characters.
My own additions to the list and short reasons why and in no particular order.

Rhett Butler : Clark Gable's portrayal of  southern charm and manliness was definitely epitomized in this man from Charlotte S.C. Smooth, cool and at the same time dangerous. Remember how the other southern gents surrounded the pussy that became Scarlett's first husband, to prevent him from calling Rhett out for insulting the South's honor? In modern times it is the equivalent of "I wouldn't fuck with this guy if I were you."  Still this testosterone fueled fella was sensitive and caring and was man enough to show it, yet still was man enough at the end to tell a begging, pleading Scarlett to go fuck herself, and probably would've too if the censors had allowed it.

Rooster Cogburn as played by John Wayne. Tough as nails with a soft side and gutsy to take on 4 murderous outlaws single handed while holding the reins of his horse in his teeth. Wayne won an Oscar for the role so it's surprising that he didn't make the list as he definitely made the character come to life.

Sam Spade: By Humphrey Bogart, another one of Bogie's best roles in Maltese Falcon. Crafty enough to trick a confession out of the bitch who murdered his partner and double cross her over to the police while screwing the bad guys Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre out of their chance for great wealth and getting them arrested as well.

Samwise Gamgee: played by Sean Astin... probably one of THE most loyal friends ever portrayed. Willing to go deep into enemy territory to save his friend and having the guts to face down a huge spider. His shining hour was carrying Frodo up the side of Mount Doom. 

Quasimodo as played by Charles Laughton. A brilliant portrayal of this grotesque figure of a human being. Hated and feared by those outside his cathedral home he still manages to get sympathy from a beautiful woman and saves her from death and horrifically defends the cathedral from a mob. Sure he loses the girl in the end but he wins our sympathy. 

Jack Crabbe from Little Big Man is either the greatest western unsung hero or the biggest liar to ever come down the pipe. His exploits and multi faceted life during the old west is indeed legendary... if they ever happened. His finest hour... surviving the battle of Little Big Horn.

Jeremiah Johnson as played by Robert Redford. A man disillusioned with big city life heads into the mountains and becomes a mountain man turned legendary Indian fighter.

Private Kelly from Kelly's Heroes: A guy smart enough, ballsy enough and greedy enough to convince a war weary squad of soldiers, a hustling supply sergeant, a stalwart but just as war-weary sergeant and a before his time hippie tank commander to want to pull of what Don Rickles character described as "...the perfect crime", stealing 16 million in gold bullion from a bank guarded by 3 German Tiger tanks.

Mick Dundee from Crocodile Dundee total fish out of water when he goes to visit New York City from the Aussie outback and still manages to come out on top against pimps, purse-snatchers and trained dobermans and still gets a hot woman to chase after him in the end. His outsmarting a Columbian drug-lord in the sequel was pretty damned good too.

Jake and Elwood Blues: True they are two separate characters but they couldn't be anything without the other. With a full tank of gas, 1/2 a pack of cigarettes and 600 miles from their destination in Chicago and the best souped up cop-car hand-me-down one has ever wanted to own they achieve their goal to save an orphanage.

Mickey Knox from Natural Born Killers... pure psychopath... nuff said.

Azumi: dressed like a modern Japanese schoolgirl in 16th century Japan this hot little number just kicks major ass when it comes down to rescuing her mentor. Her finest hour was taking on over 100 guys and leaving behind a gristly scene of carnage only to face down a brilliantly played sword master nut job.

Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times At Ridgemont High... the loser that we all secretly wanted to be during high school. Finest hour ordering pizza in the middle of class and arguing that it's "our time".

Catherine Tramell from Basic Instinct played by Sharon Stone.... c'mon how could this woman be ignored. Gorgeous, very intelligent, outrageously sexy and ultimately deadly. Her cat and mouse game with detective Nick Curran leaves you guessing to the end until just before the screen credits where the icepick is seen under the bed. Finest hour flashing bush at police interrogators while smoking a cigarette..."what are you going to do? arrest me?"

Samantha Caine/Charlene Elizabeth "Charly" Baltimore from Long Kiss Goodnight. The transformation from upright school teacher to deadly CIA assassin by Geena Davis is a great sight to behold. Perfectly montaged in her transformation sequence with "She's Not There" by Santana.

Khan Noonien Singh from The Wrath Of Khan: reprising his role Ricardo Montalban hams it up chillingly well with making the would be emperor even madder than he was before with his Moby Dick inspired revenge chase through the stars. His finest hour definitely was coldly educating his captives by putting two worms into the helmets of Chekov and Terrel to get them to talk.

Gabriel Shear from Swordfish: Travolta did a great job playing this cool as ice bank-robbing terrorist fighting villain who definitely has his shit together even if things don't always go to plan his back up's and deception ploys has him literally get away with it.

Thelma and Louise: again two characters that couldn't be defined without the other. These two became legends after killing a would-be rapist and robbing a petty gas-station. Their finest hour ... driving off the edge of a canyon.

Captain Virgil Hilts USAAF, "The Cooler King" from The Great Escape; Steve McQueen proves a tough nut for the Nazis to crack as he persistently attempts escape from their prison camp. Maybe they need to stop locking him away in the "cooler" where he plans his next scheme by playing solo baseball. Finest hour... that awesome motorcycle chase... and his affectionate pat on the gas tank after crashing into the barbwire.

The Tramp from City Lights, arguably one of Chaplin's finest performances as he pantomimes his way to a blind girl's heart by busting his ass to get the money to pay for her operation. Though he ends up in prison for his efforts they pay off as he joyfully finds upon his release back into society worse off than he was before. His finest hour, the brilliantly executed final scene of the film.

Afterthoughts... The three main characters from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Dozens more I could list but for a first post I think I said enough.

< Message edited by MACaver -- 6/4/2011 2:25:38 AM >

There are things known and things unknown, and in-between are the doors. ~ Jim Morrison

(in reply to ascohen01)
Post #: 244
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 15/5/2011 6:48:09 PM   
WhatTheSchmuck

I agree that many of the characters listed are well-deserving of their places, but as I was looking at this list, I was shocked to find only 3 female characters in the top 50...I have a hard time believing that only that many deserve to be ranked hhigher than the guy in Jaws?!?! Really? Princess Leia couldn't even make that cut?? I think you may see my point...

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 245
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 17/5/2011 4:05:19 PM   
pauljthomas

I can't find a link to this list but can't beleive I'm reading that Lester Burnham is not on the list.

Please tell me that Gollum, Del Preston (Waynes World 2),Dignam (The Departed), Forrest Gump, Lieutenant Dan, Hannibal Lecter, Bad Santa,Jangle Leg (Life) & Jon Coffey are on there

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

Post #: 246
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 17/5/2011 4:07:16 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: dimpfelmoser

Harry Potter is no Movie Character, is he?
He's from a book.
As are many others on that list but with Harry Potter it's pretty obvious.
A proper Movie Character would be Charlie Chaplin's Tramp.
Strangely enough that is not on the list.
Instead you get like, ten characters out of Star Wars.
It's mostly heroes and tough guys, right, but no real characters like say Alvy Singer or Rose Sayer.
Bummer.

You're being pedantic , I suppose once any character has been in a film, they can be classed as a film character.

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to dimpfelmoser)
Post #: 247
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 16/7/2011 11:23:23 PM   
3asty

Good list but 100 isn't enough. Just a few off the top of my head would be: Kirt Lazarus: Tropic Thunder, Les Grossman: Tropic Thunder, Alan: The Hangover, Leslie Chow: The Hangover, Sweeney Todd: Sweeney Todd, Col. Hans Landa: Inglourious Basterds, Jake La Motta: Raging Bull, Steve "The Stifmeister' Stifler: American Pie 2, Brian: Life Of Brian, Annie: Misery, Gordon Gekko: Wall Street, Ray: Scary Movie, Shorty:Scary Movie, Ron Weasley: Harry Potter, Kick-Ass: Kick-Ass, Hit Girl: Kick Ass, Lester Burnham: American Beauty, The Alien: Alien, Samwise Gamgee: LOTR 1-3, Shrek: Shrek, Donkey: Shrek, The Predator: Predator.

Post #: 248
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 31/7/2011 2:21:57 PM   
Morgoth

Do you think we'll see another list soon? Or at some point?

It's been 3 years, that seems long enough, and a lot of cool characters on film since then. :)

(in reply to 3asty)
Post #: 249
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 7/11/2011 9:46:59 AM   
Rebecca Holmes

Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday should definetly be on this list

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 250
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 15/3/2012 12:39:18 PM   
kungilam

No Ways! Can't to forget Tom Cruise 's Mission: Impossible 1-4,and/or Leonardo DiCaprio 's Titanic.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 251
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 30/3/2012 12:08:18 PM   
Tafferel

I've only just seen this!!

Really suprised Seth Gecko from From Dusk Till Dawn wasn't there. Awesome character

(in reply to kungilam)
Post #: 252
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/4/2012 9:53:00 PM   
thatgeekwiththeglass

So dissapointed to see Atticus Finch so low, he is my number 1!

(in reply to Sugarman Treacle)
Post #: 253
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 5/6/2012 11:14:15 AM   
Ti6eRBlood

Seriously ? .. This list sucks .. where's :

Stanley Ipkiss (Jim Carey)- The Mask
Beetlejuice ( Micheal Keaton) - Beetlejuice
Kevin McCallister ( Macauly Culkin) - Home Alone
The Penguin (Dany Devito) - Batman
Skip Englom ( Heath Ledger) - Lords of Dogtown
George Jung ( Johnny Depp ) - Blow
John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan) - Green Mile
Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Niell) - Jurassic Park
Harvey Pekar ( Paul Giamatti) - American Splendor
"K" ( Tommy Lee Jones) - Men in Black
Rorschach (Jackie Haley) - Watchmen
Lt. John Dunbar (Kevin Costner) - Dance with Wolves
Michael (John Travolta) - Michael
Derek Vinyard (Edward Norton) - American History X

just to name a few ...

Post #: 254
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 15/6/2012 9:17:55 PM   
LaurieP

Great characters on this list, but not enough females. Need suggestions? This list of the sexiest characters in thrillers is actually really good - it's all women, and some BRILLIANT characters, too. Just FYI for those complaining about a lack of thriller female characters.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 255
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/8/2012 3:13:55 PM   
Private Hudson

Don't know how I missed this after all these years, but how in the name of Bonaparte's balls can Tyler Durden be no.1?

There is only one name which deserves to be number one and that name is Bond... James Bond.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 256
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 9/10/2012 6:08:21 PM   
kevinwm0

I found this list to be heavily weighted towards very recent movies, and even a particular type of recent movie. A lot of the older movies' characters needed to be moved WAY up the list too. Here are some characters that I found were conspicuously absent:

Carl Spackler (Bill Murray in Caddyshack)
John (Bill Murray Stripes)
Phil (Bill Murray - Groundhog Day
Mrs. Doubtfire (Robin Williams)
Fletch (Chevy Chase)
Billy Ocean (Ocean's Eleven)
Oddball (Kelly’s Heroes)
Smokey (Smokey & the Bandit)
Sherriff Beauford TEE Justice (S&TB)
Pick your favorite John Wayne
Damien (The Omen)
Vivian Ward (Pretty Woman)
Erin Brockovich (Julia Roberts)
Celie Johnson (Color Purple)
Travis Bickle (DiNero, Taxi Driver)
Dorothy Michaels (Dustin Hoffman, Tootsie)
Alonzo Harris (Denzel Washington in Training Day)
Prot (Kevin Spacey, K-PAX)
Chris Gardner (Pursuit of Happyness)
Agents J and K (MIB)
Rhett Butler (GWTW - Did I miss him?)
Austin Powers (Yeah Baby, Yeah!)
Lelu (The Fifth Element)
That Kid in The Sixth Sense
Eli (The Book of Eli)
The Mask (Jim Carrey)
Uh ... SUPERMAN?

I guess there's a lot to fit into the top 100, but a bunch of these should come before the Johnny Come Latelies.

< Message edited by kevinwm0 -- 9/10/2012 7:10:38 PM >

Post #: 257
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 16/3/2013 7:56:34 PM   
reeceh46

like this list, but there are a few great characters missing. jeffery goins from 12 monkeys, begbie from trainspotting, dr strangelove from dr strangelove, oh-dae-su from oldboy, ian malcom from jurassic park and R.J macready from the thing

Post #: 258
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 21/3/2013 2:53:08 PM   
Mr Gittes

I guess it's clear which omission I'm going to complain about

(in reply to reeceh46)
Post #: 259
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/8/2013 12:07:35 PM   
joeleymcmoleymole

I think that John Doe from Se7en should of been on the list as he is one of my many favourite movie characters, and possibly my first or second favourite villain from a movie along with The Dark Knight's The Joker. Other than that I totally agree with the list. :-)

Post #: 260
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 4/9/2013 6:41:16 PM   
Schwinn D.

The vast majority of movie characters ARE male, so it's kind of understandable. That being said, I think the margin of male to female actors in cinema should be reduced greatly. However the fact remains for now, and Empire or the voters aren't necessarily to blame.

(in reply to girlinpearls)
Post #: 261
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 20/10/2013 9:11:01 PM   
Darren47

Good list, but...

Anton Chigurh should be higher. Hans Gruber should be a little lower. Neo should be WAY lower. Tequila from hard boiled and Peter Veckman are misplaced. Ash from Evil Dead should be written off. Mary Poppins should be WAY higher. The Joker should be a little lower. Tyler Durden should NOT be number one. and where's Hans Landa ?!?!

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 262
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 5/12/2013 7:46:58 PM   
billy bear

My Fuck, that was the worst list on Earth, whoever wrote that should be ashamed of themselves, the peppering of a few truly deserving excellently written characters, almost always in the wrong position hardly excuses the shameful shameful choices, particularly in the top 10, Ellen Ripley is not a top 10 character, seriously the compiler of the list has no taste at all. Wolverine? Not a chance, shit character, shit film end of. V from Vendetta, shit film, shit character. Alex Delarge from clockwork orange 42, and hannibal lecter (clearly a rip off of alex if you look closely enough) much higher! Hannibal lecter is a far far less subtle and interesting character, he's just a serial killer who listens to opera and likes italy, Brick from anchorman, FUCK OFF! Maximus from Gladiator that high? Fairly monotonous performance, Commodus would have been a better choice! Finally, No Barry Lyndon? No Vito Corleone (Deniro)? No Tuco? No Donny from Big Lebowski? No one from Goodfellas? No Colonel Kurtz!!!!??? No Colonel Kilgore!?!??!!!
I could go on but I think this makes sufficient enough of a point, it looks like this list was compiled by someone with a very very poor taste in films, judging by the abundance of superhero characters in there, who are some of the most one dimensional and dull characters going, Iron Man? That film is awful, just awful.....
For shame!

Post #: 263
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 28/1/2014 1:04:57 PM   
helderuto

Rocky and no Rambo? Terminator and no Sarah Connor/John Connor? Tony Stark and no Bruce Wayne? Joker and no Bane? Freddy Krueger and no Jason Voorhees? Ludicrious! Also, Peter Venkman isn't even a character, he's just Bill Murray's ego personificated!

< Message edited by helderuto -- 28/1/2014 7:23:12 PM >

Post #: 264
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI