Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 5:57:24 PM   
Baby Bear

So what did you do with Bretts body, Mr Treacle?

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to Sugarman Treacle)
Post #: 151
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 6:38:31 PM   
Sugarman Treacle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baby Bear

So what did you do with Bretts body, Mr Treacle?

Well, I have changed it a bit - to make a long story short.

I'm turning turning turning turning turning around, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemmon-tree...

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 152
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 2/12/2008 12:00:45 AM   
CoxintheBox

maybe reduce it to one character from each movie,or make the list bigger.....

(in reply to Sugarman Treacle)
Post #: 153
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 2/12/2008 1:44:23 PM   
Agitprop

I still contend that 25% of these characters don't qualify because they were NOT created BY movies and therefor are not MOVIE characters.
#97 Clarice Starling - character from a Novel, not a movie
# 91 Scarlett O'Hara - character from a Novel, not a movie
#90 The wicked Witch of the West - character from a Novel, not a movie
#87 Dracula - character from a Novel, not a movie
#3 The Joker - character from a Comic Book, not a movie
#1 Tyler Durden - character from a Novel, not a movie

You get the idea I hope. Many of these characters don't fit and that means that Darth Vader becomes #1, yet another tragedy.

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 154
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 2/12/2008 1:51:55 PM   
Agitprop

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeanGabinRules

(not just the new stuff or sci-fi... which, by the way is for children)

Love to see you defend that statement some time.

As for Pepe le Moko? An adequate start to the archetype, a good baseline to work from

(in reply to JeanGabinRules)
Post #: 155
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 2/12/2008 4:43:53 PM   
Kronner86

I feel better about THE JOKER at 3 than Tyler Durdan at #1. I mean, are you kidding? And Rocky didn't crack the top 30? Also, Indiana Jones should be higher than Han Solo and Chewbacca should have been on here somewhere...

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 156
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 2/12/2008 8:01:19 PM   
doncopey1

A truly dyer list, I mean there should be less Heath Ledger Joker watching and more Dick Powell Thin Man watching which grossly didnt make the list. My only vote which made it was Connery's James Bond. I thought if that fat pile of un-funny cow dung Nick Frost made it then Day-Lewis's starlting turn as the Butcher would have surely made it...now thats a performance and character of precision and measure. 

(in reply to Kronner86)
Post #: 157
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 2/12/2008 10:57:30 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agitprop

I still contend that 25% of these characters don't qualify because they were NOT created BY movies and therefor are not MOVIE characters.
#97 Clarice Starling - character from a Novel, not a movie
# 91 Scarlett O'Hara - character from a Novel, not a movie
#90 The wicked Witch of the West - character from a Novel, not a movie
#87 Dracula - character from a Novel, not a movie
#3 The Joker - character from a Comic Book, not a movie
#1 Tyler Durden - character from a Novel, not a movie

You get the idea I hope. Many of these characters don't fit and that means that Darth Vader becomes #1, yet another tragedy.

However they are not the same as the book characters.  They are all interpretations of the characters in the book, and it is in those interpretations that many people might prefer them to the characters in the book.  The most obvious example is one you didn't include - Connery's turn as James Bond.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Agitprop)
Post #: 158
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 3/12/2008 2:25:58 PM   
dark crystal

As I said in the sister thread, I could (and did) predict 5 of the characters in the top 10...they're always the same!

Listen, I often disagree with the order of these lists and bemoan the exclusions or placings, but you can bet your life that Empire polls have always been and will always be dominated by the same films and characters. I just have to accept the fact that my taste in films differs greatly from the majority of Empire readers.

I don't like Star Wars, LOTR, Batman, Indiana Jones, or James Bond, so I'm a fairly black sheep around here

Scarlett O'Hara at "91, though - disgrace!!

"You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man"

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 159
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 3/12/2008 4:39:18 PM   
dotswfc

With regard to "The Joker" at number 3. I agree that the character wouldn't be so highly place if Heath Ledger had not deceased. Plus characters from more recent films always get place higher than they perhaps should. Do the poll in ten or twenty years time and you'll see a lot of high ranked characters not even appearing.
Tyler Durden at No 1 however is a joke i my opinion. I thought the film was average at best and the part isn't even worth a place on the list. The same should be said for Ron Burgandy at 26, Tony Stark at 48 and Ed at 77, amongst others.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 160
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 3/12/2008 11:17:23 PM   
me_myself_i

1. Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)
2. Raoul Duke (Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)
3. Nigel Tuffnel (This is Spinal Tap!)
4. Man With no Name aka "Joe" (Fistful of Dollars)
5. Henry Gondorff (The Sting)
6. Jack Torrance (The Shining)
7. Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
8. Jay (Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back)
9. Captain Hilts (The Great Escape)
10. Ash (Army of Darkness)
11. Dewey Finn (The School of Rock)
12. Rooster Cogburn (True Grit)
13. Tripper Harrison (Meatballs)
14. Khan (Wrath of Khan)
15. Lord Humungus (Road Warrior)
16. Marv (Sin City)
17. Maximus (Galdiator)
18. Vincent Vega (Pulp Fiction)
19. Quint (Jaws)
20. Johnny Smith (The Dead Zone)
21. Darkman (Darkman)
22. Chazz Reinhold (Wedding Crashers)
23. Jack Wilson (Shane)
24. Sylvester Marcus (It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World)
25. Buffalo Bill (Silence of the Lambs)
26. Karl Ruprecht Kroenen (Hellboy)
27. Michael Myers (Holloween)
28. Head Nazi (Henry Gibson in The Blues Brothers)
29. The Tall Man (Phantasm)
30. Booger (Revenge of the Nerds)
31. Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
32. Clubber Lang (Rocky III)

Post #: 161
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 3/12/2008 11:34:13 PM   
GWTW

I do agree with some of the picks, but others no way, like Fargo, that was one terrible movie, and pulp fiction that was another one. But I would not have put Brad Pitt as number 1 my pick would have been James Stewart.  Now a days it's so hard to find anyone who really can act, they are not able to do many roles.
Where was Humphey Bogart? 

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 162
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 4/12/2008 12:10:32 AM   
atrain8107

the list is pretty decent, but there are some great characters missing and some just so/so characters way too high.  Hans Gruber that high? gimme a break.  Terminator? are you serious?  how do these clowns make it when all these great characters are missing completely.

William Wallace - Braveheart 
Doc Holliday - Tombstone
William Costigan - The Departed
Denzel Washington in Training Day (cant remember characters name, long time since ive seen it)
Jack Nicholson as the general in A Few Good Men (again, long time no see)
Brad Pitt in Snatch (did this character even have a name?)

these are just a few of the ones i feel deserving of at least some recognition, the top two being the biggest snubs.  with more time im sure ill come up with more snubs but these are the first that came to mind.

(in reply to GWTW)
Post #: 163
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 4/12/2008 1:27:46 AM   
krizax21

seriously one of the worst list i have ever read i mean i know these lists are for fun and all but can we atleast make them intellengent. ill try to make the complaints to a minumin

First off you have Freedy and no Jason insane.
Wall E really need i say more
Leadger as Joker great maybe alittle high but wheres Batman hello or even Spiderman
Wheres Rambo MIA i guess
I am not even a big Star Trek fan yet no Captain Kirk or Spock come terrible.
I saw a tombstone post which was nice doc holiday or even better Billy the kid young guns two great movie.

Anyway ill stop next time lets put some thought into these things and not mindless dribble.

Post #: 164
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 4/12/2008 3:01:29 AM   
uhohnautilus

these should have been added: Leon from The Professional, Burt Gummer from the Tremors series, John Rambo (duh) , Leeloo from Fith Element, Cindy Campbell from the Scary Movie series, Roy Neary from Close Encounters and Lex Luthor from the Superman series (as playedby Gene Hackman)

Post #: 165
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 4/12/2008 3:29:45 AM   
FORCEONE2000

good list,but a lot missing: misery,beetlejuice,risky business,fatal attraction,the stepfather, friday 13th,halloween...etc.
some of the characters would be replaced by better characters by me.....maybe you needed a top 200 of all time.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 166
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 4/12/2008 5:37:01 AM   
sweep67

Wow what a freakishly bad list.

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 167
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 4/12/2008 5:00:27 PM   
calico_jack73

Let me get this straight... Ash from Evil Dead is on the list but Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China isn't?

Sorry, I can't take this list seriously if Jack Burton didn't make it. 

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 168
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 4/12/2008 6:37:15 PM   
biondz99

My problem isnt with a list, i think its cool to read and argue about lists like this.  People are going to be missing or tohigh or low  But lets be real Tyler Durden as #1 is way off.  You want to put him on the list fine.  #1 is way way off.

But the worst atrocity in list history is Hans frigin Gruber at #17!!!  R u kidding??  He is ahead of Michael Corleone, Yoda, Travis Bickle and Forrest Gump not to mention the other 83 people before him.  to be in the top 100 is mind boggling.  What a disgrace...

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 169
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 4/12/2008 8:48:00 PM   
hatebox

^ What's the problem? Gruber is a brilliant villian in the best action movie ever made. There are bigger issues on the list than that. 

(in reply to biondz99)
Post #: 170
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 4/12/2008 11:11:08 PM   
Cool_Whip

What about Connor MacManus and Murphy MacManus from Boondock Saints get rid of the chick from gone with the wind and then move Tyler Durden from number 1 to number 2 and put Connor MacManus and Murphy MacManus at number 1 they are the best movie characters of all time i dont care who you are it is the truth

Post #: 171
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 5/12/2008 3:45:18 AM   
krizax21

anybody read the comment that anchormen was the best comedy in the last 20/30 years. so if you do the math  20 years is 1988 and 30 years is 1978 am i correct. i can name like 10 movies much better.

caddtshack
princess bride
spaceballs
happy gilmore
billy madison
austin powers
beetlejuice
do i need to go on really this list gets worst and worst each time i read it

(in reply to Cool_Whip)
Post #: 172
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 5/12/2008 4:55:33 AM   
Agitprop

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

However they are not the same as the book characters.  They are all interpretations of the characters in the book, and it is in those interpretations that many people might prefer them to the characters in the book.  The most obvious example is one you didn't include - Connery's turn as James Bond.

"They are all interpretations of characters in the book" - so then they are still Book characters, not Movie characters. Darth Vader is a MOVIE character, he was created in a script developed for a movie, not in a script adapted from a novel. That means that he is legitimately a Movie character.

Even more to your point about Connery is that the script has significant changes from the novelization, but that still doesn't change the fact that the character's genesis was in a novel.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 173
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 5/12/2008 9:28:36 AM   
faulknerdrummer

quote:

ORIGINAL: krizax21

anybody read the comment that anchormen was the best comedy in the last 20/30 years. so if you do the math 20 years is 1988 and 30 years is 1978 am i correct. i can name like 10 movies much better.

caddtshack
princess bride
spaceballs
happy gilmore
billy madison
austin powers
beetlejuice
do i need to go on really this list gets worst and worst each time i read it

Sorry, but I don't think a single one of those films is better than Anchorman...I mean, Billy Madison?! Are you serious?

The list is really about the characters more than the movies though, and while it may be surprising to find Ron Burgandy on the list, I think a lot of people underestimate how difficult it is to create a genuinely funny character (unlike Billy, who is just Adam Sandler doing a baby voice).

I also think that "tragic" or heroic characters are given a lot more credibility, when in fact a comedic character can have just as much depth and pathos.

(in reply to krizax21)
Post #: 174
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 5/12/2008 9:39:21 AM   
faulknerdrummer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agitprop

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

However they are not the same as the book characters. They are all interpretations of the characters in the book, and it is in those interpretations that many people might prefer them to the characters in the book. The most obvious example is one you didn't include - Connery's turn as James Bond.

"They are all interpretations of characters in the book" - so then they are still Book characters, not Movie characters. Darth Vader is a MOVIE character, he was created in a script developed for a movie, not in a script adapted from a novel. That means that he is legitimately a Movie character.

Even more to your point about Connery is that the script has significant changes from the novelization, but that still doesn't change the fact that the character's genesis was in a novel.

I understand your point, but I don't see what difference it makes if a character is invented by a novelist or a screenwriter - they are still a work of imagination put down on paper.

The point about them being in a movie is surely the actor's success in conveying that character. If they have two sources to draw on (the script and the original novel), do you not think that can only deepen their knowledge of the character and increase their performance?

Plus, if you were to exclude characters originally from novels (comics as well?), there would be no films left! It would just be a list of Top 100 Star Wars characters and Spielberg creations.

(in reply to Agitprop)
Post #: 175
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 5/12/2008 10:37:53 PM   
His Dudeness

I think the list was ok, some good ones, some unusual ones, but in the end I was completely shocked by number 1.

gutted that Raoul Duke didn't appear "What comes now, what happens next" well better than Jack Sparrow...and a complete rip off! there i've said it

The dude abides....

(in reply to faulknerdrummer)
Post #: 176
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 5/12/2008 11:03:00 PM   
anthonycahill

got number 1 all wrong.
some of the ones in the 30's should easily be in the 20's

Post #: 177
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 6/12/2008 2:53:15 AM   
Tres Styles

Calling all film geeks!  It's been two freak'n weeks already.  Find something new to complain about! ...like the global economy, perhaps?  Who really feels that slighted by Durden's position at number one?  For those of you who do, I have three simple words.  Get a frigg'n life!

Tres 'Tyler Durden' Styles

PS - (frigg'n is not a real word)

(in reply to anthonycahill)
Post #: 178
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 6/12/2008 11:52:54 AM   
dandydans02

I agree that Snake Pliskin,Ripley,Tyler Durdin,John Mclane,Freddy Krueger,Jigsaw & a few others but most of this list is a joke

Has anybody ever heard of Clark Griswald from the vacation movies?
how about Stifler from American Pie?
wheres jason voorhees & michael myers?
Farva from Super Troopers?
Dennis Hopper belongs on the list but not for Blue Velvet he should have been there for playing Feck in Rivers Edge
Ben Stiller should never be on any top 100 list period
I will stop because I could rant all day

Post #: 179
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 6/12/2008 7:44:48 PM   
bigk910

Where is Batman by Christian Bale? He nails it in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (The Joker ofc stole the show). EMPIRE had added so many Star wars and lord of the rings chaacters, this is too much man!

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI