Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 27/11/2008 12:32:32 PM   
st3veebee

I've seen worse lists, but what can you expect when every John and Mary is allowed to vote? Jigsaw, really? A good few classics missing: (I might be wrong about some of these) No Jeff Goldblum?? A great character actor and no sign of Dr. Malcom or The Fly Guy. John Doe missing?  Come on! NO Superman??? And where the hell is Ed Wood???

Also, I love how Empire jump on the bandwagon: "Anchorman, best comedy of last 20/30 years..." what did they give it upon release? 3 stars.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 121
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 27/11/2008 3:36:04 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

Snake Plissken and the bride BELOW Napoleon Dynamite, Iron man over atticus finch ATTICUS FINCH, PEOPLE!!!

I love comics but you're absolutely right how on earth Atticus Finch was so low I don't know. 

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 122
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 27/11/2008 3:54:46 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Also, I love how Empire jump on the bandwagon: "Anchorman, best comedy of last 20/30 years..." what did they give it upon release? 3 stars.

I'm not defending Empire, they're big enough and ugly enough to look after themselves, but don't you ever revise your opinions on films? You see it once and from that day forth you will neither like nor dislike a film more than you did? And, the review was one reviewers opinion, just like the statement that it's the best comedy of the last however many years is that writers opinion.  

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 123
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 27/11/2008 8:57:18 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I'm not defending Empire, they're big enough and ugly enough to look after themselves, but don't you ever revise your opinions on films? You see it once and from that day forth you will neither like nor dislike a film more than you did? And, the review was one reviewers opinion, just like the statement that it's the best comedy of the last however many years is that writers opinion.  

Agreed, it is very possible to revise opinions with a second chance, but still: Average comedy, not half as good as Dodgeball and very hit and miss changing to best of last 30 years? Thats quite a reversal of opinions

-And as for that just being the opinion of that one reviewer, that was the one that goes in the magazine and therefore essentially regarded as the opinion of the magazine. If the rest of the staff disagreed with that rating I doubt it would be published as the official review rating. Empire just realised that the public love that film and are following the trend...

well that my opinion anyway

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 124
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 27/11/2008 10:31:29 PM   
BubbaGump Shrimps

Tyler Durden is real cool, but there's no way that he knocked off Darth Vader off the top spot!!!!!

Vader will always be Numero Uno in the greatest movie characters

Bounty Hunters. We don't need that Scum.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 125
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 28/11/2008 6:59:39 PM   
balkaster

The page seems to be broken.  All images missing, all text outside the template in the margins, no navigation.  So I can't actually SEE the list to comment on it.  Can someone please look into this and fix it?  Thanks.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 126
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 28/11/2008 8:20:25 PM   
phjedi

Oh my god! I can't believe this!! Where the hell is Melvin Udall??????????????????????? and, less important, guys like Batman, Superman, Spiderman... Tony Stark is herer, why not them? And the bad, the ugly?? And John Doe (Kevin Spacey in Seven),  and John Milton (aka Al Pacino as the devil in Devil's Advocate? Lester Burnham from American Beauty? Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter? Ethan Hunt from MI?

Post #: 127
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 29/11/2008 2:48:05 AM   
JohnnyWalker2001

A pretty decent list, really. Forget the movies themselves. Most of these characters have common traits (one liners) but they're all definitely entertaining to watch -- which is a pretty fair judge of a movie character if you ask me! Good job.

I would have liked to have seen Rodney Downey Jr's character in Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, but he's there with Tony Stark, so that kind of makes up for it.

My one qualm: Jack Sparrow... but otherwise, very interesting!

Perhaps the Empire staff/forum naysayers can reveal their own improved list?
You have to remember, a character isn't about their actions (good or bad), the story they're in, the film itself or even the actor -- it's just purely about the character portrayed. In short: Are they interesting and/or entertaining enough to enjoy spending time watching them?

< Message edited by JohnnyWalker2001 -- 29/11/2008 2:55:01 AM >

(in reply to phjedi)
Post #: 128
The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 29/11/2008 12:04:34 PM   
wo1v3rin3

Hmmm.. Pretty Good list i have to say, most of my favorite characters are there in this list... and as alwayz, a few of them got left out as well...
Good to see Tyler Durden at #1think he deserves the spot, though i thought the Narrator's (Edward Norton) performance also deserved a spot on this list...also i wud hav loved to see Wolverine(Hugh Jackman) and V(Hugo Weaving) in the top 30... V's performance is one of the best ever...
The main qualms about this list was, there's no Oskar Schindler(Liam Neeson), thats seriously unforgivable  ... and wat about these characters!!
Chris Gardner (Will Smith, TPOH)
Andy Dufresene (Tim Robbins, TSR)
Derek Vinyard (Edward Norton, American History X)
King Leonidas (Gerard Butler, 300)
John Doe (Kevin Spacey, Se7en)
Solomon Vandy (Djimon Hounsou, Blood Diamond)

(in reply to JohnnyWalker2001)
Post #: 129
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 29/11/2008 12:13:07 PM   
Fripitto

Although I agree with the list on an overall basis, there are some characters which I think should've been included in the top 30, but weren't listed at all:

- The Tramp (Charlie Chaplin - The Gold Rush, City Lights, Modern Times etc.)
- Stanley Kowalski (Marlon Brando - A Streetcar Named Desire)
- Colonel Kurtz (Brando again - Apocalypse Now)
- Sophie Zawitowski (Meryl Streep - Sophie's Choice)
- T.E. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole - Lawrence of Arabia)
- John Merrick (John Hurt - The Elephant Man)
- Jake LaMotta (Robert DeNiro - Raging Bull)
- Sonny Wortzik (Al Pacino - Dog Day Afternoon)
- Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood - Million Dollar Baby)
- Regan (Linda Blair - The Exorcist)

Post #: 130
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 29/11/2008 1:25:03 PM   
GusGrissom

Lists are always difficult to criticise because they're opinions. However I must question the lack of female and non-american or english characters. If I remember correctly there were only Amelie from Montmartre and Chow Yun Fat and only a handful of female characters out of 100.
Where are the likes of Annie Hall, Norma Desmond, Margo Channing, Death from the Seventh seal, Anne Savoy from Bull Durham, Toshiro Mifune as Yojimbo to name a few?

(in reply to Fripitto)
Post #: 131
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 29/11/2008 5:54:44 PM   
JeanGabinRules

I think this is a great list of "100 Best Movie Characters" if you're in your 20s or 30s (aka, if you're larval); but we older film fans, who take into account the entirety of film history (not just the new stuff or sci-fi... which, by the way is for children) know that one of the greatest movie characters of all time is PEPE LE MOKO, the great film noir gangster, played by the world's coolest movie star -- Jean Gabin.

Pepe Le Moko, the lead character in the eponymous 1937 film, is widely considered to be the first film noir gangster, and when you see it, you know why Gabin continues to be not just a great movie star, but one of the all-time-favorite movie stars of Johnny Depp, Sergio Leone, Jack Kerouac, Michael Caine (who became an actor because of his admiration of Gabin), Brigitte Bardot, Sophia Loren, and Helen Mirren.

There's a great/fun new book about Jean Gabin, too -- WORLD'S COOLEST MOVIE STAR -- and it's the very first biography/filmography of Gabin in the English language (www.JeanGabinBook.com).

In fact, Jean Gabin's portrayal of the tough-as-nails noir anti-hero Le Moko was so popular that, when the 1937 flick was released here in the US, in 1940, Warner Bros. created its famous cartoon skunk Pepe Le Moko, after Gabin's voice and likeness.

Jean Gabin is one of the coolest movie stars of all time, and Pepe Le Moko has to be one of the all-time-great movie characters.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 132
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 29/11/2008 8:12:04 PM   
Sphinx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fripitto

Although I agree with the list on an overall basis, there are some characters which I think should've been included in the top 30, but weren't listed at all:

- The Tramp (Charlie Chaplin - The Gold Rush, City Lights, Modern Times etc.)
- Stanley Kowalski (Marlon Brando - A Streetcar Named Desire)
- Colonel Kurtz (Brando again - Apocalypse Now)
- Sophie Zawitowski (Meryl Streep - Sophie's Choice)
- T.E. Lawrence (Peter O'Toole - Lawrence of Arabia)
- John Merrick (John Hurt - The Elephant Man)
- Jake LaMotta (Robert DeNiro - Raging Bull)
- Sonny Wortzik (Al Pacino - Dog Day Afternoon)
- Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood - Million Dollar Baby)
- Regan (Linda Blair - The Exorcist)
............I was thinking that the other day, okay so Brando plays a nasty bastard but he's a very sexy nasty bastard Grey Gym sweatshirts have never looked so good on a man..........before or since!

JAKE WASN'T IN IT?! What about Macauley?

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Fripitto)
Post #: 133
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 29/11/2008 10:06:48 PM   
Brett Sinclair

Seems that I'm not the only one feeling that there are some characters missing. Even though it pretty much boils down to our taste, there are characters that you just can't leave out from such a list - which as far as I'm concerned should contain what the title says; "The 100 Greatest Movie Characters". Fripitto did mention one I haven't though about until now. It's a shame that Chaplin's The Tramp isn't in there, he's simply one of the greatest and that was his most famous creation. However, as I said before, this is still my opinion. I'm sure the next person would disagree...

Can be found as Sugarman Treacle

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 134
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 30/11/2008 1:05:46 AM   
mirrornoir

Lester Burnham missing!?!?

Post #: 135
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 30/11/2008 1:14:10 AM   
ericarrfan1980

In my opinion, this list isn't too bad but it's just in the wrong order and missing one of the greatest movie characters in the history of movies:  Lee from "Enter The Dragon" (not to mention Eric Draven from the 1st Crow movie and John Rambo from Rambo 1-4)

Post #: 136
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 30/11/2008 8:10:13 AM   
IGPNicki

Interesting list, but Darth Vader at number 2? That's just a tragedy, though I do think Fight Club rocks. I one hundred percent believe that had the Star Wars saga just consisted of A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader would *so* have taken the number one spot.
http://www.igp-scifi.com

Post #: 137
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 30/11/2008 8:46:50 AM   
insanitylovefreedom

List is pretty good although there are a few missing;
- Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) from 'Say Anything'
- Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank) from 'Million Dollar Baby'
- Will Hunting (Matt Damon) from 'Good Will Hunting'
- Harold Crick (Will Ferral) from 'Stranger than Fiction'

Post #: 138
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 30/11/2008 5:05:42 PM   
RyuDarkwood

I think it should be called the top 100 greatest American Movie Characters, because I seem to be missing out on a lot of influential European and Asian movie characters. Understandable - since American cinema tends to be more iconic - but it is a missed chance to show that there is more beyond the United States. 

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 139
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 12:34:24 AM   
Ichabod Is Itchy

Where the hell is Beetlejuice (Michael Keaton)? Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen)? Kirk Lazarus (Robert Downey Jr.)? Ed Wood (Johnny Depp)?  Jim Stark (James Dean)? Jack Skellington (Danny Elfman)? Sulley (John Goodman)? Gizmo (from Gremlins, seeing as ET is on there)? And what about Nicholson's Joker? Before Heath Ledger, his performance would have surely made it (not that Ledger's Joker doesn't deserve to be where it is). Also, what the hell: Daniel Plainview before Ron Burgundy??? Still, I understand how hard it would have been to make this, and to try and please everyone at the same time.

< Message edited by Ichabod Is Itchy -- 1/12/2008 1:30:31 AM >

(in reply to RyuDarkwood)
Post #: 140
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 12:48:48 AM   
Baby Bear

Did the last six new forum members join together? Is this a sect?

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to Ichabod Is Itchy)
Post #: 141
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 4:37:14 AM   
Ronin M1

Lol this shit is funny...

Throughout the whole list I was pretty much argreeing with everything but was thinking 'Where the hell is Tyler Durden!?' - and to think he was sitting at number one! xD

I love the character, and to have him at number 1 is great!

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 142
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 6:43:42 AM   
mrthursdaynight

Tyler Durden, a character of one of the most overrated films ever, sits at Number One, while Rocky Balboa, an iconic character that spanned SIX movies, is ranked 34th, and Rick Blaine, the central figure of one of the greatest movies of all time, is 56.

You pissed on whatever credibility you had.

(in reply to Ronin M1)
Post #: 143
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 9:52:56 AM   
Baby Bear

It's an infestation............where's the anti- IMBd spray ?..............

........kidding, boyz......Welcome to Empire...

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

(in reply to mrthursdaynight)
Post #: 144
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 10:24:23 AM   
Ichabod Is Itchy

Well yeah, it's because of imdb that I'm here! But now I got the ability to vote for other things and abuse stupid decisions!

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 145
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 10:35:43 AM   
Baby Bear

Just play nicely, that's all I ask!

If you want to have a giggle, check out the Friendly advice to new forum members thread.

It's tongue in cheek. Mewstly...........

lympo :

Post #: 146
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 10:39:20 AM   
Ichabod Is Itchy

ok thanks!

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 147
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 11:35:19 AM   
CoxintheBox

The list is a total joke,6 Star Wars characters ffs!Bobba Fett!Come on people.No Inigo Montoya,Ed Wood,Begbie,Captain Vidal from Pans Labyrinth,Bill Murrays best ever character "Big" Erne McCracken from Kingpin,Jesus from the Big Lebowski,Elias from Platoon,Catwoman from Batman Returns or the biggest injustice of all,no Lester Burnham from American Beauty!!wath some other movies you Star Wars loving man-children!!Also Tyler Durden at no.1 when the narrator is by far the more intersting character,Jack Sparrow and the Joker being in the top ten is very,very wrong.

Post #: 148
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 2:04:31 PM   
Tres Styles

Hey everyone, I've got an idea!  One of you people, who's really unhappy with this list and who's also a tech geek, should host another top 100 poll on a site of your own creation.  I'd love the chance to vote again, and I'm really interested to see if there would be the same amount of controversy.

Make it happen!

Borat for president!

Tres Styles.

(in reply to CoxintheBox)
Post #: 149
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 1/12/2008 5:44:28 PM   
Sugarman Treacle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tres Styles

Hey everyone, I've got an idea!  One of you people, who's really unhappy with this list and who's also a tech geek, should host another top 100 poll on a site of your own creation.

We could do it over and over, but the question is - will the results be any different? Perhaps, but we will have people disagreeing with that outcome too.

I'm turning turning turning turning turning around, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemmon-tree...

(in reply to Tres Styles)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI