Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 9:57:42 AM   
Jack'sSmirkinRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: warpedai

3 things :

1.) Brad Pitt's Tyler Durden should NOT be No.1

hoeech posted : "Ask 100 people off the street who Tyler Durden is.  Maybe 10 will mention Fight Club.  Ask the same 100 who Don Corleone is and ALL of them will say 'The Godfather'"

Spot on.

Our survey says...Urgh uuurrgghhh.  This isn't Family fucking Fortunes.  Not to say that all Empire readers know what they are talking about - yes, I'm looking at you people who voted for fucking 'Jigsaw' - but I'm pleasantly surprised at Tyler Durden being number 1.  Yes, The Godfather and title character Don Corleone are classics, but in my opinion, and obviously a lot of other people's, so are Fight Club and Tyler Durden.  Besides, the Don is still right up there, so it's not like he hasn't been included, which would have been a crime.

I'm a big Star Wars fan, but I didn't actually vote for any of the characters, and I do think there are way too many.  I loved Boba Fett, but it really was only ever about Vader and Solo.  Other than Tyler Durden, it was nice to see 3 of my other 5 up there - Daniel Plainview, The Dude and The Man With No Name - but was slightly disappointed, and actually a little surprised, not to see my other choice, Don Logan from Sexy Beast up there.  Who would have thought that Gandhi had such a potty mouth.  "I'm going to have to change my shirt.  It's sticking to me.  I'm sweating like a cunt."

As always with things that are left to the public to vote for, it's a bit of a mixed bag and pretty predictable, but I guess that's to be expected.  Overall, not too shabby.

Pull my finger

(in reply to warpedai)
Post #: 91
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 12:07:37 PM   
Greg Andrew

Yes its a list and yes i have my own personal problems with some of the entries.

As the last post points out the inclusion of Jigsaw seems a bit weird. But thats why i love these polls to see what other people love.

I would have had thought Batman would have had been there and C.C. Baxter was put down on my voting form and the great jack Lemon didn't make it either but i think the other four from my list are there so can't grumble to much.

Tyler Durden as number one i can't find fault with at all.

Peace
g

Hey man this is a private residence!

Who the f**k are the Knutsens?

www.hingwayfilms.co.uk

http://www.indiegogo.com/the-consultant

(in reply to Jack'sSmirkinRevenge)
Post #: 92
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 2:06:43 PM   
ky

Well, I don't like Tyler Durden being number one - I might have agreed a few years ago, but now I find him kind of a dick. And whenever I watch that film, I want to grab Ed Norton by the collar of his blood-stained shirt and scream 'SNAP OUT OF IT, YOU SPOILT BRAT!' I mean, if he didn't want all of his material goods, couldn't he have given them to charity, and just sold or rented out his condo? Anyway, my gripe's over, but one final question ... why isn't Michael Keaton or Christian Bale's Batman (Batmen?) in the countdown?

Peace.

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 93
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 2:20:14 PM   
Tres Styles

Agree one hundred percent with you about Don Logan.  He was my #3.  Let's sanction a cage match, right now!  Don Logan vs Tyler Durden.  My life savings on the mahatma.

Tres Styles

(in reply to Jack'sSmirkinRevenge)
Post #: 94
The New Empire - 24/11/2008 2:44:42 PM   
Gigolo Joe

I say new, but for the last several years the once great yardstick for film journalism has become not much more than a predictable brochure for the big movies, regardless of merit.

So it's fairly indicative that the Empire's readership would have not 1, but 2 characters from "Anchorman: the legend of Ron Burgundy" in a list of 100 greatest characters, but no room for the likes of Lawrence of Arabia, Batman, Philip Marlowe, Butch, Sundance, Spartacus, Superman (not my top list).. and then some..

Ferris Bueller at no.15?..... Anyone?

I unsubscribed and stopped reading Empire long ago but I still get to hear about these embarrassing lists from mainstream media. Empire, please leave the general public alone with these pointless votes. Any Empire readers who are similarly dumbfounded please do yourselves a favour and stop buying the magazine and visiting the site (I'm using Firefox with ad-blocking so not contributing). There are alternatives none with as much influence (except AICN), better still, start a new one if you're able. We do need a local equivalent of 'Aint it Cool', something that discusses film from all eras and locations. But more importantly something that seeks out and champions independent film production in the UK/Europe as well as the big movies that actually merit discussion.

Empire is no longer for people who truly love great Films, they cater to the prattling teen/occasional movie-goer demographic and in this case it most definitely shows.

We are drifting into the arena of the unwell

(in reply to Greg Andrew)
Post #: 95
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 7:07:59 PM   
Mopictures

A decent list, it should just be 5 times bigger.

Dunno if I'm imagining this (Maybe I missed a number) but where was Batman?

Still, cool that it was an "alternative" list, with Durden at the top spot and "V" getting a vote (Despite most people I know not being keen on the film at all!). None of these lists will ever be definitive (People will always vote characters they've JUST seen in a movie!) and it's a shame that while Ripley is deservedly the top female that there's still 9 dudes ahead of her in the awesome stakes.

A few I would have included: Kate Winslet's Clementine in "Eternal Sunshine...", Rutger Hauer's John Ryder from "The Hitcher", Andy Dufrene from...come on, Andy Dufrene!

Post #: 96
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 9:25:48 PM   
Oswald

It's good to see alot of my favourite characters on the list, though I may not agree with some of the positions. It's interesting to note what the poster said about Ledger's Joker, that he may not as psychotic as Nicholson's Joker which in my opinion is true. Nicholson was the Joker for me, he nailed that crazed clown homicidal persona and is defintely one of the most recognized villain of all time. I still tip my hat to Ledger's Joker, he did a great job but Nicholson embodied the true Joker for me and it's a shame he's not on the list and equally dismal is that Keaton's Batman is not on the list either.

(Sigh) Anyway, the people have voted but I hope this list is updated every few years for new memorable characters we have yet to see onscreen.

(in reply to Mopictures)
Post #: 97
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 11:09:05 PM   
keaneye

Does anyone think the reason Tyler Durden got so many votes was that, in fact, Fight Club was on the tv the very week everyone was voting?  I really don't care though.  The world has not just ended.  I do think that Tyler Durden does belong in the top 100, not so high, but in there.  I also think that people stating that Empire got it wrong are right twats though.  It was a public vote for God sake!  If you didn't vote, it's your fault for the turn out, get over it!
I thought the characters that made the top 100 was more important than the order.  It would be arrogant of anyone to think the order should be exactly to their liking.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 98
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 11:14:28 PM   
keaneye

Nicholson and Ledgers Joker was listed as one actually.  Obviously it's Ledgers' Joker who was pictured, but that section counts both actors as equals.  At least that's what I read into it anyway.

(in reply to Oswald)
Post #: 99
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 11:55:06 PM   
taskmaster

No Jack Burton???

wow

Post #: 100
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 12:49:50 AM   
Brett Sinclair

It's not that I dislike the character that Brad Pitt surprised us all with, he is more than welcome. But I think Tyler Durden actually is a bit overrated and shouldn't land that hight on the list - at least not yet. When some of the other characters has been around for 40 years, it's just not fair and certainly too soon to give the golden trophy to that fellow. Give him a few years and I'll bet he won't get that much attention.

Can be found as Sugarman Treacle

(in reply to taskmaster)
Post #: 101
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 4:00:26 AM   
Jack'sSmirkinRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: ky

Well, I don't like Tyler Durden being number one - I might have agreed a few years ago, but now I find him kind of a dick. And whenever I watch that film, I want to grab Ed Norton by the collar of his blood-stained shirt and scream 'SNAP OUT OF IT, YOU SPOILT BRAT!' I mean, if he didn't want all of his material goods, couldn't he have given them to charity, and just sold or rented out his condo?

Yeah, that would make a great movie.  Man gets depressed.  Man gives possessions to Oxfam.  The End.  What the fuck are you talking about?  You really missed the point of that film completely.

Having had another look over the list, there really are some odd choices in there, and some startling omissions too - Tom Cruise as Frank T.J. Mackey in Magnolia, which is still his best performance - Ben Kingsley as Don Logan from Sexy Beast, who's the most viciously sweary, unhinged bastard ever - Brick from Anchorman over Steve Martin's Navin R Johnson from The Jerk or Dr Hfuhruhurr from The Man With Two Brains?  Really? - No Kurtz, Willard or Kilgore from Apocalypse Now? - Jigsaw?  Who the fuck voted for him?  Seriously, hands up.  I want names.  Own up to this and take the torrent of mockery you rightly deserve.

Anyway, shouldn't rant.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions and all, even if they are totally moronic cretins.  Besides, its just a silly list and in general, most are acceptable

Pull my finger

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 102
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 12:42:21 PM   
leigh285

So where the hell was Bill the Butcher?
The character is just so damn cool, and should have featured on the list.
Well, at least in the top 50.

Post #: 103
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 1:08:22 PM   
Piyush Patel

Are you guys at Empire having a laugh. No Jimmy Conway, no Henry Hill, no Paulie ( All GoodFellas ).          
And for Travis Bickle at number 18 and Tyler Durden at number 1, something is seriously wrong here. There are characters in the 100 list that deserve to be a lot higher than they are.

Post #: 104
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 1:20:13 PM   
Kittys_Gremlin

*puts hand up* I voted for Tyler Durden, being as he's a modern pop culture icon! (tho I was expecting top 5, not num 1)
I thought the list was interesting & agree that there was a shortage of women (Scarlett O'Hara was my second choice & I thought she should've been higher) which prob means there are a shortage of good female role in film, or just no one votes for girls. I'm just glad Jack Sparrow never made number 1

(in reply to leigh285)
Post #: 105
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 1:44:34 PM   
anish1979

who were the bell-ends that voted harry effing potter into the top 40. seriously guys, dont make me come over there...

(in reply to Kittys_Gremlin)
Post #: 106
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 2:02:53 PM   
Brett Sinclair

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piyush Patel

There are characters in the 100 list that deserve to be a lot higher than they are.

No to speak about the ones that didn't even made it to the list. There's clearly some characters missing.

< Message edited by Brett Sinclair -- 25/11/2008 2:06:18 PM >

Can be found as Sugarman Treacle

(in reply to Piyush Patel)
Post #: 107
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 2:03:13 PM   
Chaos2Keres

Great list, although I have one major question, where was De-Fens (Michael Dougles) from Falling down? Surely should of appeared on the list, he was a brilliant character!

Blarg!

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 108
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 5:47:40 PM   
faulknerdrummer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kargon

quote:

ORIGINAL: faulknerdrummer

i was surprised that Nick Frost's 'Ed' from Shaun of the Dead is more popular than Nick Frost's 'Danny' from Hot Fuzz...

Those charcters are not in there surely?

Ed is at number 77...

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 109
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 7:18:02 PM   
Base

Tyler Durden at No 1...

Fuck me, I needed that laugh, thanks

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to faulknerdrummer)
Post #: 110
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 9:50:56 PM   
kargon

I've only looked at the top ten so far and two of mine are in ther. Darth Vader and the Dude. Looking at others mentioned my others better bloody be in the list. I'm gonna take a look now. I have a feeling I shall be back for a rant.

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 111
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 9:58:07 PM   
kargon

I can't be arsed clicking each number. Another on there though. The Terminator.

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 112
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 10:46:50 PM   
warpedai

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oswald

It's good to see alot of my favourite characters on the list, though I may not agree with some of the positions. It's interesting to note what the poster said about Ledger's Joker, that he may not as psychotic as Nicholson's Joker which in my opinion is true. Nicholson was the Joker for me, he nailed that crazed clown homicidal persona and is defintely one of the most recognized villain of all time. I still tip my hat to Ledger's Joker, he did a great job but Nicholson embodied the true Joker for me and it's a shame he's not on the list and equally dismal is that Keaton's Batman is not on the list either.

(Sigh) Anyway, the people have voted but I hope this list is updated every few years for new memorable characters we have yet to see onscreen.

Yes, I agree about The Joker. My opinion is that Nicholson is the definitive Joker and it is a shame people have so readily forgotten how great he played that role. The Dark Knight is a fantastic film but there is an insane level of hype around the film. I need to see the film 2 or 3 times more and let it marinade in my mind before I can say Ledger's Joker is the definitive version.

Also, like someone said, some of the reason Tyler Durden got No.1 is perhaps to do with the fact Fight Club was shown a few times on TV here during the voting "process".

(in reply to Oswald)
Post #: 113
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 25/11/2008 10:59:57 PM   
amerelium

if TV was allowed, Sledge Hammer should be atop the list...

"...hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm getting paid; well, specially if I'm getting paid - but there reavers..."

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 114
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 26/11/2008 4:00:05 AM   
Agitprop

More than a quarter of these characters were not created by movies and should these characters have been as close to unique as possible? Mob bosses, unstoppable supermen, guys who fight with blades, guys who fight with guns. Martin Riggs and John McClane are clones. Malcolm Reynolds and Han Solo are clones, Wolverine and Blade are clones.

I'd say, without sitting down and getting dirty in the details, this list really only has about a dozen unique or archtypical characters in it, and many of them were plainly annoying.

Post #: 115
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 26/11/2008 4:07:52 AM   
Agitprop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: cooliepop

Apparently the same morons who elected Obama voted in this poll.

Unlikely, since only Americans can vote in those elections and the majority of Empire's readership are (Presumably) English.

You mean English speaking right? Rather than those that use American?

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 116
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 26/11/2008 10:04:32 AM   
Rob

These things are always good entertaining fun but I'm a little bit gob-smacked that Harry Lime isn't in there.  The greatest entrance in all of cinema and quite possibly the finest monologue ever delivered and yet Randall Graves and the guy from Serenity make the list...really?!?

Also yes Don Logan should also be there although I admit I totally forgot about him but never-the-less a horrifically brilliant creation.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Agitprop)
Post #: 117
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 26/11/2008 10:50:46 AM   
faulknerdrummer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agitprop

More than a quarter of these characters were not created by movies and should these characters have been as close to unique as possible? Mob bosses, unstoppable supermen, guys who fight with blades, guys who fight with guns. Martin Riggs and John McClane are clones. Malcolm Reynolds and Han Solo are clones, Wolverine and Blade are clones.

I'd say, without sitting down and getting dirty in the details, this list really only has about a dozen unique or archtypical characters in it, and many of them were plainly annoying.

I agree. A lot of the characters listed aren't good characters at all, they're just in films that people like. Like Star Wars. Clearly, Boba Fett is not an interesting or 3-dimensional character, but people voted for him because he has a cool mask on and a spaceship that looks like a steam iron. Woopee.

As you say, half the list are simply blockbuster action heroes - great at what they do, but not necessarily well-written or well-developed characters. Did a single Wes Anderson character make the list?

(in reply to Agitprop)
Post #: 118
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 26/11/2008 4:53:54 PM   
hcro88

yeh where is holly golightly or sugar kane?!?! madness!

alot of my choices made the list..tyler durden is NO WAY number one though...

(in reply to ascohen01)
Post #: 119
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 26/11/2008 9:53:22 PM   
Sphinx

Snake Plissken and the bride BELOW Napoleon Dynamite, Iron man over atticus finch ATTICUS FINCH, PEOPLE!!!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to hcro88)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI