Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/11/2008 7:09:57 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: hoeech

Ask 100 people off the street who Tyler Durden is.  Maybe 10 will mention Fight Club.  Ask the same 100 who Don Corleone is and ALL of the will say "The Godfather"

you are joking right?
as this poll proves Tyler Durden is a far more well known characters than Don Corleone, for better or for worse(i still havent seen The Godfather :P)

but Tyler Durden definately deserves this. he is awesome. no question bout it.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to hoeech)
Post #: 61
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/11/2008 7:54:19 PM   
mg2g1000

Darth Vader should have been at No.1 - he is no doubt the greatest movie villain ever - pure menace, pure evil.
And where was Gerard Butler who played King Leonidas in 300, and Sharon Stone who played Catherine in Basic Instinct, not forgetting Tom Cruise who was Maverick in Top Gun, Sean Connery who played Malone in The Untouchables, Sly Stallone in all the Rambo movies, and Mel Gibson who played Mad Max. There are so many unforgettable movie characters I can name, but these are some that I can remember.

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 62
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/11/2008 8:01:50 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: mg2g1000

Darth Vader should have been at No.1 - he is no doubt the greatest movie villain ever - pure menace, pure evil.
And where was Gerard Butler who played King Leonidas in 300, and Sharon Stone who played Catherine in Basic Instinct, not forgetting Tom Cruise who was Maverick in Top Gun, Sean Connery who played Malone in The Untouchables, Sly Stallone in all the Rambo movies, and Mel Gibson who played Mad Max. There are so many unforgettable movie characters I can name, but these are some that I can remember.

john Doe is a far greater villain (where the hell is he? or Lester Burnham for that matter?)

there are loads of people missed out which is a shame and some real questionable choices, Buzz Lightyear? come on!
but its not that bad...

(in reply to mg2g1000)
Post #: 63
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/11/2008 8:26:06 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: hoeech

Ask 100 people off the street who Tyler Durden is.  Maybe 10 will mention Fight Club.  Ask the same 100 who Don Corleone is and ALL of the will say "The Godfather"

you are joking right?
as this poll proves Tyler Durden is a far more well known characters than Don Corleone, for better or for worse(i still havent seen The Godfather :P)

but Tyler Durden definately deserves this. he is awesome. no question bout it.

the guy/girl said 100 people off of the street, all this poll proves is that empire readers (not a true representation of the general public) think that tyler durden is a better character than don corleone, which i must admit is fairly sad...

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 64
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/11/2008 8:37:36 PM   
SWOTBM

oh, i totally forgot about gunnery sergeant hartman, one of THE best characters ever, how could he not even be on there

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 65
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/11/2008 9:14:35 PM   
Sphinx

Nit-picks, just a few; Shawhank's red should have been higher, don't suppose anyone know where atticus finch is? Not suprised by 3, I'm only glad they didn't actually vote Bale as batman (love the actor but this whole insanity of batman being the best thing since sliced bread has to stop!) So Indy's at no.6? What do you expect from a nuked fridge and a boy who thinks he's tarzan.

...and everyone knows the best serious villian is kiezer soze, who is not in the top ten! Voters are getting younger....

< Message edited by Sphinx -- 22/11/2008 9:19:55 PM >

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 66
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/11/2008 9:19:41 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

A very, very, very good list.... nice surprise to see Durden at the top, very interesting choice.... plus fantastic to see Plainview and Wall-E in there too!

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 67
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/11/2008 9:26:36 PM   
Xanthus

4 of my choices made it pretty well, so no complain coming from me.
Though, I'm really surprised no Steve McQueen character made it. He has quite a number of great ones.
But, whatever, it's was fun running through all these characters !

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 68
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/11/2008 10:23:21 PM   
hatebox

The liklehood of whether someone would know Durden over Corelone would depend entiely on their age, nothing more.

I still find it a shame that Joker was voted no.3 and batman not on there at all. As a massive fan of the film and the comics, I believe that despite being the greatest villain ever the Joker is ONLY interesting due to his relationship with Batman. Take Bats out of the picture and he's nothing. In fact, as the end of BB suggested, he wouldn't exist at all.

(in reply to Xanthus)
Post #: 69
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 22/11/2008 10:49:00 PM   
paul_ie86

I didn't vote but I fully expected Han Solo or Indy to be number 1. Durden is good choice though. Surprised that he is the only Fincher character though (excluding Ripley of course)

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 70
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 1:20:23 AM   
lettielovesgary

Joker - 3? Yeh it was good! But better than The Dude? No way!
Tyler Durden 1st is pretty good! But why the hell is Marge Gunderson so far up? She's amazing!

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 71
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 7:41:46 AM   
kjae

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

The liklehood of whether someone would know Durden over Corelone would depend entiely on their age, nothing more.

I think that you have to also take into account the fact that some people - myself included - just don't enjoy gangster/mafia movies; no matter how good the acting, if you find the whole thing kind of a bore, you're not going to appreciate Corleone regardless of how old you are. 

It's a shame there's so few female characters, I would have liked to have seen Sarah Connor (Terminator), Leloo (Fifth Element), Zhang Ziyi or Michelle Yeoh(Crouching Tiger) and Selma Ježková (Dancer in the Dark) make it in there.   It would be interesting to know the ratio of men to women voting, and if this makes any difference at all. 

I feel like them little bitches on the chess board

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 72
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 9:14:11 AM   
richCie

i reckon nowadays Durden is more ingrained in our culture than the don, although if u asked primarily old people you may find Corleones recognition more common.

watever i still think Tyler is a worthy choice, he's about as good as characters get.

(in reply to kjae)
Post #: 73
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 9:31:23 AM   
Dantes Inferno

quote:

i still havent seen The Godfather :P

Oh, pal.

President of The Wire fan club. PM me to join.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 74
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 1:25:02 PM   
Malenky Kym

Ah the straight white male, is there no escaping you?

Saddened to see no Gay Perry (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) on the list. He really is the epitome of cool

Post #: 75
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 1:40:49 PM   
ben_kenobi

1st of all sorry for my english.

Missing Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore (by Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now!) was unforgivable  !!

(in reply to Malenky Kym)
Post #: 76
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 2:51:59 PM   
SkullKassidy

Awww, man I've just started kicking myself over a character I didn't remember when I was doing my top 5. Samuel L. Jackson's Mitch Henessey from the Long Kiss Goodnight ...he is pure "one-liner" heaven from start to finish. Jules from Pulp is cool, but I still rate this my fave Jackson performance.

Just out of curiousity ...are there no Monty Python characters on there cos the vote was split between so many of them?

Anyway, it seem Empire that a larger number than 100 is needed to keep people happy. We had a top 500 films ...and, logically speaking, there must be more film-characters than films!

Post #: 77
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 3:30:41 PM   
shawshank prisoner

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: mg2g1000

john Doe is a far greater villain (where the hell is he? or Lester Burnham for that matter?)

there are loads of people missed out which is a shame and some real questionable choices, Buzz Lightyear? come on!
but its not that bad...

I voted for Buzz!

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 78
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 5:12:21 PM   
Goodland

Dear lord. There are a few key omissions here... look I saw this film "Return of the God of Gamblers" once and there was a fella called Simon Tart.

Yes, a chinese secret agent called Simon Tart. He was an absolute genius shamefully underused by the film.

He attacked Chow-yun Fat with his bare, smelly feet (The rather grandly named "eagle claw") before hamming it up a storm (sobbing about the "home land") and getting chucked in the sea. I forget the name of the actor but asked a couple of friends from Hong Kong at the time and they both shook their heads disdainfully and said, "Everyone hates that guy." I want a spin-off movie!

Just a thought - are there any other awesome characters shamefully underused by the movies? Any characters that Hollywood should pay attention to for new franchises?

The Simon Tart Chronicles, following the Tartster's Bond-esque espionage in China and his search for effective odour-eaters, sounds a safe-bet for a tent-pole summer release...

I think I might already add the god-like Jordan Penrose from "Dead Men Don't Die" to the list.

"That's dead for certain."

Maybe they could team up, like a lowest-possible rent version of Rush Hour. Does anyone have a contact number for Uwe Boll?

< Message edited by Goodland -- 23/11/2008 5:13:57 PM >

Post #: 79
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 5:49:07 PM   
sagart

Buzz Lightyear - "One of only two animated characters on this list", the other one being Jessica Rabbit ...and WALL-E??

Ok, hands up. Who failed maths?

(in reply to Goodland)
Post #: 80
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 7:16:34 PM   
Tres Styles

Everyone relax!
   It's just a list.  Film is like any other art form, it's purely subjective.  Only 24, out of my own list of 50, made Empire's top 100.  Here's 5 of my favorites who didn't make the grade either (but you don't hear me bitch'n & whining).
1. Borat Sagdiyev (Sacha Baron Cohen) - Has any other comedian ever created such a pop-culture craze, in convincing so many unsuspecting American's that he's for real?  ...ever?
2. Don Logan (Ben Kingsley) - The most subversive and unrelenting gangster of all time.
3. Bill "The Butcher" Cutter (Daniel Day Lewis) - There's never been such an evil cocksucker, with a New York accent a top hat and a meat cleaver, that's been as cool.  
4. Vincent Vega (John Travolta) - A much bigger departure for Travolta than "Jules Winnfield" was for Sam Jackson.  Name another washed-up actor to have the same type of career success Vinnie Barbarino had, after Tarrantino gave him the role of a lifetime.  The film industry's been swimming in nostalgia ever since.
5. Begbie (Robert Carlyle) -  Has there ever been another character so perfectly defined by the old adage, "...with friends like these who needs enemies"?

Have fun with these types of things everyone, and thank you Empire for offering the types of features that we can all take part in.

PS - There's a little Tyler Durden inside all of us!

Tres Styles

< Message edited by Tres Styles -- 23/11/2008 7:23:32 PM >

Post #: 81
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 8:31:19 PM   
Sphinx

Actually where was Beatrix Kiddo? Frank Bullitt should have been in the top 20 at least, agree about the lack of females but not at all suprised by ripley being there

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Tres Styles)
Post #: 82
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 8:32:00 PM   
admuz

Four of my choices were in the top 20 so I'm very happy with it

(in reply to Tres Styles)
Post #: 83
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 9:17:03 PM   
jordaroo

Ok I think Amelie is a great film but what was so special about her character? What about Charlize Theron in Monster and Hilary Swank in Milllion Dollar Baby

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 84
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 10:43:15 PM   
Anuk

these greatest  cinema characters are always  going  to be very debateable.
ask 100 people and  you will probably get 100 variable answers.
I think  the wicked witch from the wizard of Oz should  have been a top 20 anyway. a memorable character to  me is  one  that everyone knows  regardless of if you have seen  or even liked the movie.  Fight Clubs Tyler at no 1-  mmmm not my choice  but  I'm from the USA.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 85
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 10:57:38 PM   
Dozy McGrew

How can Boba Fett be one of the top 100 characters of all time? Actually why so many Star Wars characters at all at the expense of so many more better observed and nuanced performances?
This is an infantile list. I don't like coming across as pompous about it but fuck it. Empire is definitely getting a Q-like lowest common denominator/naffness vibe.

We're in the stickiest situation since sticky the stick-insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

(in reply to Anuk)
Post #: 86
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 11:11:34 PM   
Pepsi99

Wow, surprised that a Godfather character wasn't top (haven't seen Fight Club so can't comment on that) Good list, I actually can't remember all of my votes, but I know Jules Winnfield & Red made it, so that's good.
A lot of Star Wars characters, again I can't comment as I haven't seen the films, but I really should.
Shame there's no Tim Curry on there from that cult classic Rocky Horror, but still a good list.

If it's not Baroque, don't fix it.

(in reply to joebro)
Post #: 87
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 23/11/2008 11:36:01 PM   
warpedai

3 things :

1.) Brad Pitt's Tyler Durden should NOT be No.1

hoeech posted : "Ask 100 people off the street who Tyler Durden is.  Maybe 10 will mention Fight Club.  Ask the same 100 who Don Corleone is and ALL of them will say 'The Godfather'"

Spot on.

2.) The main character from Donnie Darko at No.38? No bloody way. It shouldn't even get in a Top 1000 list of best characters, seriously. The film is probably the most overrated of the last 10 years as well. A film that people think it is cool to like.

3.) Where is Kurt Russell's MacReady from The Thing?????????

p.s nice to see Ripley up there, although she is deserving of a top 5 in my opinion!

< Message edited by warpedai -- 23/11/2008 11:37:49 PM >

(in reply to Pepsi99)
Post #: 88
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 12:17:31 AM   
Brett Sinclair

Well, we all do have our own opinions - it's unavoidable. But, come on, does Tyler Durden really deserve the first place - before such characters as James Bond, Indiana Jones and Darth Vader...? And where was Clouseau? If someone should be in there, it should be this very well-liked clumsy inspector perfectly played by Peter Sellers. One of the greatest characters of all time on the big screen! It was however very fun to participate and I'll be happy to be part of more projects like this. Just say where and when...

Can be found as Sugarman Treacle

(in reply to warpedai)
Post #: 89
RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters - 24/11/2008 7:16:14 AM   
coolieling

interesting list...obviously, there were some that were left that should be there...but for all intensive purposes it has consolidated a gallery of characters that were iconic in their own sense.

i guess for me the more telling observation is that there's only a handful of women in the list...

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: The 100 Greatest Movie Characters Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI