Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Fox Lines Up X-Men: First Class

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Fox Lines Up X-Men: First Class Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fox Lines Up X-Men: First Class - 19/11/2008 5:40:22 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Around the wrong way... - 19/11/2008 5:40:22 AM   
DigitalMan

It's probably a prequel, where Prof X. and the original get together. Or maybe it's just a take on the New Mutants book, could be X-Force or X-Factor...uh...i don't know! I'm gonna see it anyway, whatever it is haha

peace out you crazy movie lovin' bastards

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 19/11/2008 8:21:30 AM   
muchobenny

sounds shit shit shit shit shit

Post #: 3
Why can we assume Jackman won't be back? - 19/11/2008 9:05:28 AM   
O_Goncho

I mean aside from the fact that this sounds like utter toe-gunk. If, as you say, it follows on from X3 then surely the Wolverine we all know and love will still be wandering around the X-Mansion with his hands clasped loosely over his head letting rip with that completely out of character, self-satisfied, smug-as-fuck, GOD-DAMN-YOU-BRETT-RATNER grin he had plastered all over his face by that 'ilm's end?

Still, sounds well exciting. '_'

Post #: 4
bugger - 19/11/2008 9:35:31 AM   
waltham1979

I just dropped my cup of tea whilst I read hits bit of news and I don't believe it was coincidence !!

Post #: 5
Ooooh.... - 19/11/2008 9:46:45 AM   
jimoakley666

I love the X-Men comics. I love the first two X-men movies. The cast was fantastic. The writing was spot on.

And then Fox fucked it up with X-Men 3. But not just "Oops. Silly me". No. For some reason Fox decided they would strap dynamite, grenades and a suitcase bomb to the series, cover it in petrol and blow it the fuck up. Then they pissed on it but before the flames could die down they threw on a crate of vodka, another barrel of fuel and went on to kick it to death.

It really did seem like Tom Rothman and his cronies attacked the series finally with disgust. He seemed to go out of his way to give the finger to all that had gone before and all the fans of the films and comics. Like a sick bastard who gets drunk and starts spewing bile and hate over everyone who may have ticked him off.

I really have no confidence in another Fox made X-Movie. The fact that Fox is doing it really put me off. It make me uncomfortable. Like having dinner with a friend who you love but know has a drug problem and recently tried to stab you for money.

No. Count me out. Too many bridges burned. Unless Marvel are doing it I'm not interested. And they've got a fucking SHIT load of work to do in gaining ANY confidence with the Wolverine movie. The only ray of light is that Hugh Jackman loves the character and he's got a bit more say than he did with X3. That and there's a good director on this one.

But I'm sure Rothman is trying to bullying him as we speak.

Post #: 6
So it's X-Kids, then? - 19/11/2008 9:50:05 AM   
mighty mick

I really hope we're not gettin another prequel - that must stop now, it's getting ridiculous. But if it progresses from X-men 3 I wouldn't mind seeing a few characters developed (somebody PLEASE give Colossus and Archangel a decent treatment!) but that would def mean ditching a few big names, like Wolverine and Magneto. I would love to see Emma Frost make an appearance but I don't see the point if Cyclops isn't around.

Post #: 7
My two cents - 19/11/2008 9:57:03 AM   
sowasred2012

I've got nothing against Josh Schwartz, Chuck is awesome - but, and it's a big but, everything I've seen created by him, including Chuck, has been the most fluffy throwaway entertainment I've ever laid my eyes on. I don't think X-Men needs to be taken in this direction. Bring the funny, for sure, just not Schwartz's particular brand of funny.

With that in mind, why do they not just ask Joss Whedon to write the movie? Astonishing X-Men is awesome!

Post #: 8
Ellen Page - 19/11/2008 10:43:44 AM   
JoeyG

What, so she was nominated for an Oscar, it now means she is too good to be in X-Men?

Halle Berry won an oscar and still appeared in the X-Men films, even the third one, which was, let's face it, kind of s*it..........

Post #: 9
New mutants - 19/11/2008 11:16:36 AM   
sinj

The New Mutants series from the 90s might work as a film but only if they introduce cable as mentor and please bring on Apocalyspe. The X films need a decent villain, even in the comics Magneto is kinda likeable and usually does the right thing in the end.

Post #: 10
- 19/11/2008 11:45:53 AM   
deathbat6661

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, GOD NO!

It'll be like that piece of shit Evolution series. You want to make the X-Men fans happy? Give us a goddamn Gambit film.

Post #: 11
SUCKS!!! - 19/11/2008 11:46:37 AM   
ROTGUT

This news does not surprise me. " X Men - the teenage years! "
Jackman, Berry and co. are all now too expensive to hire so they off load them into their own films and bring in a bunch of young pretty teenage faces. Bleagh! If I wanted to see High School Musical 3 - I'd go and see High School Musical 3. Hate it when they try to kidify everything! I mean - look what happened to Star Wars................rubbish or what!

Post #: 12
Continuation - 19/11/2008 12:01:42 PM   
dholleyuk

Why not have a continuation of the story left in X3 but far far far far better, introduce a newish cast with a cameo of Professor X back to his professor ways and a new X team against Apocalyspe

Post #: 13
- 19/11/2008 12:03:10 PM   
Alex 3000

I have to admit that at first i like all the marvel films, one due to the fact that they were alright and two that fact that iam a marvel kind of guy. But wtf literally all they are doing is going for bucks, not for the story, this is just another film that will rake in all the kids for some summer mindless fun. Has marvel not seen The Dark Knight?

Post #: 14
- 19/11/2008 12:12:48 PM   
Filmfan 2

This will be fucking terrible, I just know it.

X-Men doesn't need an OC version of it.

Post #: 15
Dear, Oh dear - 19/11/2008 1:01:10 PM   
Chris Hart

What the hell? X-Kids? What a load of rubbish. Let's face it all 3 X-Films have been successful due to the popularity of Wolverine. If they cannot get the actors back, then why not reboot? It has worked for Batman, Hulk and James Bond. IF Fox have to release another movie, I would rather this than "X-Teenagers".

Post #: 16
Xmen - 19/11/2008 1:43:19 PM   
douglasmain

There's a few comics doing the rounds that focus on the original Xmen in the early days that are pretty good, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Angel, Iceman and Beast (pre-blue 7 hair!). Might be cool to go back and do a prequel with a 60's/70's feel and wash the taste of the pathetic X3 out of my mouth...

Post #: 17
- 19/11/2008 2:40:08 PM   
Big Red

We've already had a young X-men in the brutal for for of Generation X TV move that lump of arse that was Mutant-X.
There's X-Factor, X-Force and X-Calibur to play with why go in a direction that has failed twice?!

Post #: 18
Just a guess, - 19/11/2008 2:46:12 PM   
montimer

But given what we know about the Magneto movie, and the current trend for reboots I'd imagine that this film will follow on from Origins:Magneto, which will tell the story of the setting up of the academy, by telling the story of the first X-men (Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Iceman, and Angel) in the same fashion as the comic "X-Men: First Class"

Post #: 19
RE: - 19/11/2008 3:07:51 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: deathbat6661
You want to make the X-Men fans happy? Give the franchise back to Marvel.

Corrected your post.

(in reply to deathbat6661)
Post #: 20
- 19/11/2008 3:46:33 PM   
homerbert

I never get why people complain that studios are doing stuff for bucks. Of course they're doing this film for the money. Just like pretty much every other film ever made. Movie studios are out to maximise profits. That's how businesses work.

Post #: 21
RE: - 19/11/2008 4:12:57 PM   
KeithM

The point is not that they're out to make money - every business is and we all understand that.

The difference is when a company sells a product ONLY for the money and cares not a whit about artistic integrity, quality or the customer experience (at least beyond the level where it puts enough bums on seats to make their money back).

Surely you can see that's the point we're trying to make - or do you genuinely believe that product is product and companies are all equal in their quality standards?

Do you really think it's a coincidence that the films that most respect the source are the more successful?  Or that the ones that shit on them from a great height in order to act as no more than a marketing tool for the toy range/game bomb badly?

An easy comparison:

Batman & Robin - not at all true to the source, an exercise in toy marketing - abject failure.

Batman Begins - respectful to the source, commitment to quality of story over any other consideration.  Massive success (especially with the sequel, which followed the same template of quality and story first, marketing considerations second).

Both were made with an eye on making a profit, but whereas this was the former's prime motivation, the latter's focus on quality and story first allowed the financial success it had to follow naturally as a consequence of this, not as a guiding principle over creative decisions.

Businesses work by giving customers a quality product that they actually want - failure to do so usually ends up in the business failing.  It's not that hard to see the difference, surely?

(in reply to homerbert)
Post #: 22
RE: - 20/11/2008 9:27:43 AM   
jimoakley666

quote:

ORIGINAL: deathbat6661

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, GOD NO!

It'll be like that piece of shit Evolution series. You want to make the X-Men fans happy? Give us a goddamn Gambit film.

I'm an X-Men fan and I could think of nothing I'd like to see LESS than a Gambit film. Shudder.

I'd like Marvel to do an X-Men movie with Prof Xavier, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, Beast and Iceman and maybe even Havok and Polaris. That'd be cool. Keep it simple. Old school.

And this from a massive Wolverine fan.

It'd be groovy to have the film end with the X-Men captured and imprisoned. Oh no! Next film comes along with a new team to rescue the old one. Wolverine, Banshee, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Warpath, Sunfire and Storm.

But that'd mean recasting and Singer's cast were ace. Well. All apart from Hallie Berry. Groan.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

(in reply to deathbat6661)
Post #: 23
one thinks - 20/11/2008 8:08:41 PM   
SteadyEddie

X3 was a bit all over the place if they do this they'll need to ring it back in, and prof X is a must, don't care how they do it, clone his body and transfer his concious or something and try continue on from were they left off in X three. they could replace characters no problem, apart from the ones they got right such as prof x, beast, rogue and ice man , wolverine or jackman which ever doesn have to be there it's not essential as long as they get a good script and story to run with if the throw out rubbish they'l loose in the long run this could be a cash cow for the studios and still a great movie one thinks hee hee :)

Post #: 24
The ONLY way... - 21/11/2008 10:44:42 AM   
vineethchacko

As much as I love to see X-men flicks on the big screen, the only way we will ever see movies that capture the spirit of the comics is if the rights revert to Marvel. AND I mean all the rights - from spidey and daredevil to X-men and the rest. Marvel will use their writers and exert creative control to build a product that will give fans and non-fans alike a lot of satisfaction. But i know the business doesn't work like that - Fox and Sony may not give back the rights in the near future. In the meantime, these are the type of films we will have to put up with. I will put more of my faith in IM2, Thor, CA and Avengers.

(in reply to SteadyEddie)
Post #: 25
RE: The ONLY way... - 21/11/2008 1:02:01 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Someone needs to bring Cable to the big screen - hands down one of the coolest X Men characters - EVER!

(in reply to vineethchacko)
Post #: 26
RE: The ONLY way... - 24/11/2008 9:03:33 AM   
jimoakley666

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Someone needs to bring Cable to the big screen - hands down one of the coolest X Men characters - EVER!

Ha ha. Good one, mate... Oh. Hold on. I thought you were kidding.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 27
RE: The ONLY way... - 24/11/2008 5:47:04 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimoakley666

quote:

No I wasn't kidding <<< fuck knows what this smilie means but it looks in distress so it's worth a try out

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 28
RE: The ONLY way... - 25/11/2008 10:04:50 AM   
jimoakley666

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimoakley666

quote:

No I wasn't kidding <<< fuck knows what this smilie means but it looks in distress so it's worth a try out

I don't know, man. That little smiley looks like it's got a gimp ball in its mouth or something. Not right, surely.

But Cable could never work in an X-Men movie. Once you start genre hopping that's when people would turn off. I've been an X-Men nut for too many years to mention while keeping my dignity but the whole future thing (Cable, Bishop and Rachel) and Space thing (Shit-Ar and Starjammers) just left me cold every time. It's a big enough task asking to suspend one's belief saying, "Hey, imagine there are this group of people who have superpowers...". Nah. That's a good enough concept to stick with for me. Once you get into space and time travel and all that malarkey it's getting a bit beyond the original point for my taste.

I mean, look at Heroes. That shit is all over the place now. I don't know what the hell is going on there (but then, neither do the writers by the looks of it, ha ha).

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 29
RE: The ONLY way... - 25/11/2008 4:08:33 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Yeah I suppose I'm seeing it more from the perspective of a fan as opposed to trying to make a film that would appeal to the masses, but I really liked all the future stuff and familial connections to Cyclops and whatnot

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Fox Lines Up X-Men: First Class Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI