Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Star Trek Trailer Breakdown

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Star Trek Trailer Breakdown Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Trek Trailer Breakdown - 17/11/2008 8:21:22 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Action stations - 17/11/2008 8:21:22 PM   
herbertwest1701

Love: 1. Uhura = hot!
2. The opening corvette chase scenes feel fresh, exciting and grounded
3. Pine looks very promising as a James Dean-esque young gun Kirk
4. Pegg as Scotty - masterstroke!
5. Enterprise dropping out of warp and into battle (inspired by Falcon into the Alderaan debris field?)
6. Enterprise under construction on earth gives me fanboy chills!
7. Did I mention Uhura is the hotness?

Not sure:
1. The bridge is a giant frickin' ipod!
2. The battles are very Star Wars - a good thing for Trek? hmm...
3. Karl Urban as Bones? Good God, man!.... still, on the evidence of his brief trailer moment... maybe he's not dead, Jim...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Carnage - 17/11/2008 9:24:51 PM   
Norsedwarf

Under the carnage heading (screen 13) you said that the ship in question is the enterprise, when it's clearly the Kelvin as shown by the nacelles on the top and bottom of the saucer section. Sorry to get nerdy and pedantic but I just thought I'd say.

Post #: 3
Wow - 17/11/2008 10:18:21 PM   
dodger9uk

Could have done without the awful "My name is James Tiberius Kirk,"...Anakin Skywalker anyone? However. From that point on it becomes one of the most exciting trailers of the year.

Post #: 4
alias - 17/11/2008 10:25:02 PM   
shanedcrowley

screen 6... the sign in the botton right... it says authorized personell only... APO... oh JJ youre a hoot

Post #: 5
- 17/11/2008 10:40:07 PM   
dunkah

that looks suspiciously like Claire Forlani behind Simon Pegg on Page 21

Post #: 6
Klingons in helmets??? - 18/11/2008 5:46:01 AM   
ROThornhill

Klingons aren't afraid to confront their enemies, so why do they need helmets???
In Klingon, "Qab jIH naghIl" means "Face me if you dare!"
Where is their honour?...or are they just hiding the fact that they've lost their ridges thanks to the events in "Enterprise"?

And what's with the flimsy fence surrounding the Enterprise's construction site?

Post #: 7
RE: Klingons in helmets??? - 18/11/2008 9:49:00 AM   
captainrentboy

Well the trailer worked for me, a guy who has had absolutely no interest in Star Trek before now very much wants to see this new film. If J.J can make several million others feel the same way, as well as keeping the core fanbase happy, he could be onto a winner
When I watched the trailer last night I thought that Ben Cross was Leonard Nimoy

(in reply to ROThornhill)
Post #: 8
RE: Star Trek Trailer Breakdown - 18/11/2008 1:15:19 PM   
janlomona

Got to say it looks amazing and cannot wait to see it.
Just one concern though - certain characters have the wrong colour eyes.

Kirk with baby blues?
McCoy with brown eyes?

Wouldn't it have been easy, for pure continuity sake, to put in contacts and have them line up with the original actors?  Pedantic for sure, but it appears that every other continuity concern has been adressed so I wonder why not that?

So what gives JJ?

Post #: 9
RE: Star Trek Trailer Breakdown - 18/11/2008 1:22:34 PM   
nclowe

Love Trek but not entirely sold on this trailer. I'm all for 're-imagining' the series (it worked wonders for BSG!) but I just cant get over the fact they are all still in the 60's style outfits. It makes them look like space-age air-stewards. Has the Enterprise been sneakily recommisioned as tour ship?

(in reply to janlomona)
Post #: 10
Klingon Helmets?? - 18/11/2008 3:01:16 PM   
choochoonesme

I wonder... In the original series, klingons looked very much like normal people. Iwonder if the idea is, they used helmets on younger to grow theyr head in a certain way as you see the helmet looks as though it has the head sculpture

Post #: 11
Klingon Helmets?? - 18/11/2008 3:14:25 PM   
choochoonesme

I wonder... In the original series, klingons looked very much like normal people. Iwonder if the idea is, they used helmets on younger to grow theyr head in a certain way as you see the helmet looks as though it has the head sculpture

Post #: 12
RE: Klingon Helmets?? - 18/11/2008 3:19:04 PM   
bad hat harry

quote:

ORIGINAL: choochoonesme

the reason the klingons look human in the 60's tv show is because they didn't have the budget to create an alien looking make up effect even though Gene Roddenberry wanted one. one of the first things they did when they were making Star Trek : the motion picture, was to design the familiar klingon forehead prosthetic.

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.
Woody Allen

(in reply to choochoonesme)
Post #: 13
Looks good! - 19/11/2008 9:59:39 AM   
hamsterminator

Is it possible for people to comment on a star trek film and not be overtly pedantic and nerdy? So far we have had complaints about colours of the actors eyes, ship's names and wether or not Klingons should have Helmets.
Anyway.. about the film, looks very good. I like the discovery and voyage side of star trek, and this seems to have plenty epic scale sci fi to ogle at. On the negative, if i had just built a gazillion dollar starship i wouldnt entrust it to a bunch of college graduates wearing.. what the hell are they wearing anyway?
Oh well, i look forward to it anyway, im sure there will be something for everyone in this.

Post #: 14
THANKS FOR THE SPOILER WARNING! - 19/11/2008 11:15:42 PM   
loafroaster

Seriously, Kirk's parents being killed by Nero...thanks for the heads-up, guys.

Post #: 15
Mistakes - 20/11/2008 5:27:09 AM   
TheBeef

Somebody else already mentioned this, but on the Carnage page the comment says the ship is the Enterprise at Vulcan, when clearly it's the Kelvin, and therefore must be from when the Kelvin was attacked.

Also, on page 18 the comment initially says that it depicts Kirk and Spock, when a quote immediately following that confirms that it's Kirk and Sulu.

Post #: 16
Spock v. Kirk - 20/11/2008 9:15:48 AM   
ebrown2112

I wonder if Spock will slice Kirk's skull open? Oh, sorry, different character.

Post #: 17
RE: THANKS FOR THE SPOILER WARNING! - 20/11/2008 11:10:27 AM   
the ageless stranger

Speaking personally Loafroaster, I didn't read the walkthough because I wanted to avoid spoilers, so thank YOU for that massive one.

Stand And Be True

(in reply to loafroaster)
Post #: 18
RE: THANKS FOR THE SPOILER WARNING! - 20/11/2008 11:19:19 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: the ageless stranger

Speaking personally Loafroaster, I didn't read the walkthough because I wanted to avoid spoilers, so thank YOU for that massive one.

Why did you come in the thread discussing the walkthrough then?!

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to the ageless stranger)
Post #: 19
RE: THANKS FOR THE SPOILER WARNING! - 20/11/2008 11:24:38 AM   
the ageless stranger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Why did you come in the thread discussing the walkthrough then?!

I'm curious to see what people think of the trailer so far, without wanting to get a blow-by-blow "this shot is 27 minutes into the film....." analysis. It's a fine line, but it's (usually) possible.

Stand And Be True

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 20
EH?!? - 24/11/2008 7:02:04 PM   
warren7355

So Abrams thinks that people will be surpised by the way that the Romulans feature heavily in a Trek Movie? Has he even SEEN Nemesis?!?

Muppet.

Post #: 21
Extendable what? - 24/11/2008 7:05:27 PM   
warren7355

Ok, missed this the first time, but an extendable pocket katana? WTF? Everything i see about this film convinces me more and more that it is going to suck harder than any singularity.

Post #: 22
relax Peoples - 25/11/2008 2:35:23 PM   
SteadyEddie

this looks great there's to much nit picking he's makin the effort countless others wouldn touch with a barge pole i like star trek the old the new whatever cause the principal's the same

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Star Trek Trailer Breakdown Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI