Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A L I E N

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: A L I E N Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A L I E N - 5/9/2009 9:44:22 PM   
Hoshi

quote:

ORIGINAL: coolstar

All they said the Space Jockey is grown out of its chair . I agree with the build up i kept asking myself wheres the Alien in film ??  

Wasnīt it the fosill of the Space Jokey that had merged with the chair, they meant?

The first time u see the "grown up alien" is in the scene where Harry Dean Stanton gets bitten/impaled by alien and a couple a scene prior to that was the "chest buster" scene....
So u get a scare to how big it had become together with the crew....
Now thatīs scary...

Wouldnīt u agree

"You are my Lucky Star"

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 91
RE: A L I E N - 8/9/2009 4:47:03 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hoshi

quote:

All they said the Space Jockey is grown out of its chair . I agree with the build up i kept asking myself wheres the Alien in film ??  

Wasnīt it the fosill of the Space Jokey that had merged with the chair, they meant?

The first time u see the "grown up alien" is in the scene where Harry Dean Stanton gets bitten/impaled by alien and a couple a scene prior to that was the "chest buster" scene....
So u get a scare to how big it had become together with the crew....
Now thatīs scary...

Wouldnīt u agree

Been reading about Sir Riddley Scotts idea for a new ALIEN movie in Empire,and it's going to be a Prequeal concerning the back story to the space jockey.Looks like he might just save this Franchise,and it will be a wellcome return to Sci/Fi after so many years without him.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Hoshi)
Post #: 92
RE: A L I E N - 8/9/2009 5:25:14 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I'm not too bothered about a Fifth Film, even if Ridley directs this. Fact is even he cannot top the beauty of that original film.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 93
RE: A L I E N - 8/9/2009 5:46:30 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I'm not too bothered about a Fifth Film, even if Ridley directs this. Fact is even he cannot top the beauty of that original film.

It's true he will find it hard to come anywhere near the original,but from what i've been reading else where he already has H R Giger on board with for the art work.Some of this work dates back to 1979 when Giger had already with Scott done art work for a back story also a sequel story where we get to see the Alien planet.That said i still believe he could revive the franchise even if it was for a last outing,because as the record has shown Fox will milk it to death.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 94
RE: A L I E N - 9/9/2009 8:43:27 AM   
Tech_Noir

If Alien 5 is to be the last in the franchise it would have tp be a major financial bomb.

If it's successful Fox will obviously milk it further.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 95
RE: A L I E N - 9/9/2009 7:57:50 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

If Alien 5 is to be the last in the franchise it would have tp be a major financial bomb.

If it's successful Fox will obviously milk it further.

What i really meant was it would be Scotts last,and for me he is the true genus of the A L I E N movie,so of course it would be number six that would crash and burn.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 96
RE: A L I E N - 2/10/2009 8:10:16 AM   
Snake-Eyes

while I was watching ALIEN recently, I noticed something - during the scene when Ash attacks Ripley and then Parker and Lambert rush in to help her - Parker hits Ash with a fire-extinguisher (or an o2 cylinder I think) and 'knocks his head off', the soundtrack is then overwhelmed with a mix of score, sound effects and the performer's dialogue - listen very carefully, at one point I swear Yaphet Kotto yells out "Vampire!"  I'm not making this up, I checked it a few times, it is there! wierd!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 97
RE: A L I E N - 2/10/2009 5:36:11 PM   
evil bill

quote:

while I was watching ALIEN recently, I noticed something - during the scene when Ash attacks Ripley and then Parker and Lambert rush in to help her - Parker hits Ash with a fire-extinguisher (or an o2 cylinder I think) and 'knocks his head off', the soundtrack is then overwhelmed with a mix of score, sound effects and the performer's dialogue - listen very carefully, at one point I swear Yaphet Kotto yells out "Vampire!"  I'm not making this up, I checked it a few times, it is there! wierd!

I'll have to have a closer listen to that scene.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 98
RE: A L I E N - 3/10/2009 5:34:01 PM   
JimBill93

My FAVOURITE film ever!
It's just absolute genius... The ideas, the plot, the characters, the sets, the lighting and of course The Alien itself!
This film never will date for me. Ever. Ever.

I do prefer the original to ALIENS, there is far more suspense, and an anagonisingly slow build up, and it's far more of a treat when you see the alien, some how, more special, where as with ALIENS there are just continual waves of alien beasts, that seem to have lost some intelligence since ALIEN!

They're both awesome, but for me ALIEN is a much more satisfying film to watch.
I haven't even bothered with Alien3 and Resurrection, aparrently they seem to ruin the franchise!
Interested in Ridley's prequel though.

Haha.. Is it only coincidence that there is one letter's difference between Ridley and Ripley..?

"Jonesy?"

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 99
RE: A L I E N - 3/10/2009 6:07:20 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: JimBill93

I haven't even bothered with Alien3 and Resurrection, aparrently they seem to ruin the franchise!

Exactly right. AVOID at all costs and don't buy into this crap that ALIEN 3 is a 'misunderstood classic' just 'cos it was directed by David Fincher - IT SUCKS!

(in reply to JimBill93)
Post #: 100
RE: A L I E N - 3/10/2009 6:34:39 PM   
coolstar

Theres lots of info about all four alien films in this monthes Empire magazine worth a read

I am going Deep Deep undercover

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 101
RE: A L I E N - 3/10/2009 6:38:30 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Theres lots of info about all four alien films in this monthes Empire magazine worth a read

yes, it's a great retrospective for sure - this is the first time I've seen a pic of James Remar as 'Hicks' in ALIENS.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 102
RE: A L I E N - 3/10/2009 6:45:18 PM   
darthbane

quote:

quote:

Exactly right. AVOID at all costs and don't buy into this crap that ALIEN 3 is a 'misunderstood classic' just 'cos it was directed by David Fincher - IT SUCKS!

Sorry but that's bollocks.
Alien 3 is a great movie. Not as good as Alien and very few flicks are better than Aliens, but it is a worthy addition to the franchise

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 103
RE: A L I E N - 3/10/2009 6:52:44 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

quote:

quote:

Sorry but that's bollocks.
Alien 3 is a great movie. Not as good as Alien and very few flicks are better than Aliens, but it is a worthy addition to the franchise

well, I don't want to change the subject of this thread, there are a few reasons I don't dig the third film but that's another thread I guess. just my opinion is all.

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 104
RE: A L I E N - 4/10/2009 1:08:09 AM   
Rgirvan44

Sorry Snake, usually we agree on these things, but Alien 3 is a worthy addition to the series, at least in its extended form. There are some great character actors in there and Weaver gives her best performance in the film.

Is it the film you want to see after Aliens? No - but that in itself is kinda approperiate. I can see why it was slated in its cut form. Also - great soundtrack.

Alien: Res continues to be bollocks.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 105
RE: A L I E N - 4/10/2009 6:24:00 PM   
coolstar

Alien 3 is underrated i love the extended version

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 106
RE: A L I E N - 4/10/2009 6:26:32 PM   
coolstar

Alien 3 is underrated i like the extended version looks like a new movie

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 107
RE: A L I E N - 4/10/2009 6:56:02 PM   
Snake-Eyes

ok guys, you all like ALIEN 3. please don't think I'm being rude or disrespectful here but I reckon that's another thread.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 108
RE: A L I E N - 4/10/2009 7:33:06 PM   
Sphinx

Sorta on on topic but didn't anyone feel queasy reading about the 'birth' scene?

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 109
RE: A L I E N - 4/10/2009 7:44:41 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

Sorta on on topic but didn't anyone feel queasy reading about the 'birth' scene?

do you mean the 'chest-burster' scene from ALIEN? it's awesome!

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 110
RE: A L I E N - 4/10/2009 8:03:01 PM   
Sphinx

I know, a defining moment in cinema - you always feel bad for Hurt though SPOLER IF YOU LIVE UNDER A ROCK!! ..............................for leaving so soon but what an exit!

No I'm on about the butcher meant, the blood, Veronica Cartwright fainting. Ahhh every film myth must have it's mayhem but still with it so damn explainatory to the point of a surgical operation

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 111
RE: A L I E N - 5/10/2009 9:02:31 PM   
coolstar

In Empire it also said that Yaphet Kotto (Parker) whent home and locked himself and never spoke a word he was so shocked at the birth scene

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 112
RE: A L I E N - 6/10/2009 6:06:17 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

I know, a defining moment in cinema - you always feel bad for Hurt though SPOLER IF YOU LIVE UNDER A ROCK!! ..............................for leaving so soon but what an exit!

No I'm on about the butcher meant, the blood, Veronica Cartwright fainting. Ahhh every film myth must have it's mayhem but still with it so damn explainatory to the point of a surgical operation

Veronica Cartwright was indeed shocked along with the rest of the cast,and she in a recent interview said she needed a very large drink after it.But hey that's the effect Scott wanted ,he went out of his way to keep things hidden from the cast ,so he could get a real look of fright/horror on the cast.And this scene was just one of them moments,that will live forever in the memories of cinema fans and the cast of course.It's one of the main reasons i think CGI just has'nt got that edge that real effects have,where there is interaction with the cast,leading to classic moments like this.You just could'nt fake that look of sheer fright on Veronica Cartwright's face and her body language,just sheer bliss.

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 113
RE: A L I E N - 11/10/2009 10:16:20 AM   
coolstar

Now if the rest of the cast where like her it would have been much better

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 114
RE: A L I E N - 28/10/2009 10:32:28 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I'm listening to the Goldsmith soundtrack at the moment (Limited Edition 2-disc version - sorry, had to boast.) very eerie, yet relaxing.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 28/10/2009 10:33:04 PM >

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 115
RE: A L I E N - 28/10/2009 11:40:57 PM   
somekindof_battery

Alien = best of the bunch

Aliens is still a 5/5 classic film but for me Alien is a better film.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 116
RE: A L I E N - 29/10/2009 7:08:22 PM   
evil bill

Here's some more A L I E N trivia,enjoy:

The blue laser lights that were used in the alien ship's egg chamber were borrowed from The Who. The band was testing out the lasers for their stage show in the soundstage next door.

The space jockey prop was 26 feet tall.

20th Century Fox Studios almost did not allow the "space jockey", or the giant alien pilot, to be in the film. This was because, at the time, props for movies weren't so large.

'The Company' referred to in the film is called Weylan-Yutani. It would become Weyland-Yutani in James Cameron's sequel, Aliens (1986), 7 years later.

While the crew is eating, if you freeze the frame, you can clearly see the "Weyland-Yutani" brand on the can Kane is drinking from.

Ridley Scott cites three films as the shaping influences on his movie: Star Wars (1977) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) for their depiction of outer space, and Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (1974) for its treatment of horror.

The original cut of the film ran 3 hours and 12 minutes.

Originally, no film companies wanted to make this film, 20th Century-Fox had even passed on it. They stated various reasons, most being that it was too bloody. The only producer who wanted to make the film was Roger Corman, and it was not until Walter Hill came on board that it all changed. 20th Century-Fox agreed to make the film as long as the violence was toned down; even after that they still rejected the first cut for being "too bloody".

The original design for the Alien by H.R. Giger had eyes, which were eliminated to make the creature look even more menacing

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 117
RE: A L I E N - 29/10/2009 7:53:01 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

I'd LOVE to see a cut of this film that was so long - even it was just endless shots of the Nostromo corridors.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 118
RE: A L I E N - 30/10/2009 8:21:39 PM   
hampstead bandit

just watched each of the 4 films again on DVD, each film viewed in turn over 4 evenings

thoroughly enjoyed each film, Alien 3 and Alien 4 have much to offer in their own way, specifically the continuation of the "Ripley" story

can't wait to trade in my DVDs for the Blu-Ray Alien box set ;)

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 119
RE: A L I E N - 30/10/2009 8:36:19 PM   
coolstar

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Here's some more A L I E N trivia,enjoy:

The blue laser lights that were used in the alien ship's egg chamber were borrowed from The Who. The band was testing out the lasers for their stage show in the soundstage next door.

The space jockey prop was 26 feet tall.

20th Century Fox Studios almost did not allow the "space jockey", or the giant alien pilot, to be in the film. This was because, at the time, props for movies weren't so large.

'The Company' referred to in the film is called Weylan-Yutani. It would become Weyland-Yutani in James Cameron's sequel, Aliens (1986), 7 years later.

While the crew is eating, if you freeze the frame, you can clearly see the "Weyland-Yutani" brand on the can Kane is drinking from.

Ridley Scott cites three films as the shaping influences on his movie: Star Wars (1977) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) for their depiction of outer space, and Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) (1974) for its treatment of horror.

Originally, no film companies wanted to make this film, 20th Century-Fox had even passed on it. They stated various reasons, most being that it was too bloody. The only producer who wanted to make the film was Roger Corman, and it was not until Walter Hill came on board that it all changed. 20th Century-Fox agreed to make the film as long as the violence was toned down; even after that they still rejected the first cut for being "too bloody".

The original design for the Alien by H.R. Giger had eyes, which were eliminated to make the creature look even more menacing

Thanks for the cool facts love to see a 3 hour cut

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: A L I E N Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI