Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A L I E N

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> A L I E N Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A L I E N - 27/10/2010 6:08:06 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I must admit, I have deliberately avoided watching either ALIEN or ALIENS on dvd for a very long time now - this was primarily due to my anticipation of the blu-ray set. From the good reviews I've been reading, not just on the boards but elsewhere too, seems like it's gonna be worth the wait.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 301
RE: A L I E N - 27/10/2010 8:26:37 PM   
hampstead bandit

I had no problem with Aliens Versus Predator - a guilty pleasure perhaps, but I enjoyed it (Lance H is always excellent)

just got the Alien Anthology Blu-Ray box-set, off to watch Alien in HD right now : ) :)

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 302
RE: A L I E N - 28/10/2010 9:31:40 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

I must admit, I have deliberately avoided watching either ALIEN or ALIENS on dvd for a very long time now - this was primarily due to my anticipation of the blu-ray set. From the good reviews I've been reading, not just on the boards but elsewhere too, seems like it's gonna be worth the wait.

Same here Snake.

I make a point of watching Aliens at least once every 6 months but stopped that tradition as soon as the BD was announced. Have had an Aliensless life for nearly a year now… got shakes and everything! But going in tonight. The wait for Alien was even longer for me and the BD was beyond worth the wait!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 303
RE: A L I E N - 30/10/2010 8:21:05 PM   
hampstead bandit

Alien is stunning on Blu-Ray, the interior detail you can see on the Nostromo brings a real sense of gritty reality to the scenes

I watched the "director's cut" and thoroughly enjoyed it, as its a film I have not seen so many times as Aliens

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 304
RE: A L I E N - 2/11/2010 9:33:22 AM   
warsop_trapdoor

quote:

Alien3 is still my favourite

I agree with you mate, 3 is brilliant. Although it was not as money making as 1

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 305
RE: A L I E N - 2/11/2010 11:22:24 AM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: hampstead bandit

Alien is stunning on Blu-Ray, the interior detail you can see on the Nostromo brings a real sense of gritty reality to the scenes

I watched the "director's cut" and thoroughly enjoyed it, as its a film I have not seen so many times as Aliens

Watched the original cut of  A L I E N,then watched the directors cut last night,and still enjoy the orginal cut far more.And this Blu Ray box set as i said to the son is how i remember seeing it in the cinema all those years ago.IE perfect picture and sound,and as you said the detail is all there big time.Also watched ALIENS for the first time in about two years and it's also how i remember it,except on a 50" screen rather than 50 ft.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 306
RE: A L I E N - 3/11/2010 7:55:38 PM   
evil bill

quote:

"In Space no one can hear you scream"The A L I E N poster tag-line is a classic come on i dare you to watch this one.And i was lucky enough to see it on the big screen on it's first release,and wow what a movie a true classic Horror/Sci/Fi monster of a movie.And on Blu Ray well just awesome,and out of a sense of duty,to my fellow A L I E N  mate's i watched both versions,but i still prefer the original theater release,and so my old review still stands. But as pointed out some time ago we want this thread to be the Alien franchise fan base so,it's about time i did a review of this ALIENS,as it's on the Blu Ray Box Set:
ALIENS 1986

57 years after the original attack, Ripley and a crew of marines return to the planet to kill the remaining aliens that have slaughtered the colonists... Set 57 years after the original battle, Ellen Ripley survived her disastrous ordeal and is rescued  from deep space.Nobody believed her story about the "Aliens" being on the planet LV-426,and to her horror she learns that it has been colonized by the company. But when all contact from the planet is lost Ripley is called back into action again as an advisor to a team of tough space marines with lots of firepower.But this time there's more than one killing machine,and then there's Mother to fight as well??

I have watched this movie back in 1986 at the cinema, and it completely blew me away,was one hell of a sequel to Scotts classic.Now for me it never topped A L I E N,but then how could it,and Cameron knew this and so took it in a new direction. Some critics consider this chapter to be better than the first, but the two movies are vastly different.Where the first was a dark scary monster,Sci/Fi movie set in space,this is an all out Monster,Sci/Fi Action movie,a real adrenalin pumping horror movie of the top notch kind.Yet go through it, and you'll realize the character and dialogue scenes far outweigh the amazing action/visual effects. With excellent story-telling and the fantastic alien creatures,and the tense build-up atmosphere, grips you so tightly it seems never to let go right to the all out war at the end."This Time It's War",well you get this in spades,as only Cameron knows how,hot off making The Terminator,this was an power excellence choice for a follow up to ALIEN.James Cameron's Aliens is easily one of the best sequels ever made, taking the original story and expanding upon it in ways most sequels are afraid to do.This sequel dares to build slowly,,which is rare in this type of movie,allowing Sigourney Weaver in her surprise-Oscar-nominated performance,to develop a multi-dimensional character.The special edition is Cameron's intended version of the film,and is the one to watch as it hauntingly amplifies Ripley's disconnect from her dead daughter and her relationship to the young Newt.
This film is filled with great actors/characters like Hicks (Michael Beihn), a take-charge marine who also turns out to be honest and sincere, Hudson (Bill Paxton), a con man who turns out to be a coward and complains most of the time,Bill is one of those actors that steals scenes from every actor and was always a recognizable face.Vasquez (Jeanette Goldstein), the iron-willed woman soldier than holds her own with all the testosterone around,(make's GI Jane look like a wimp)and who proves to be one of the bravest characters in the film, Bishop (Lance Henrikson), a robot that at first is not trusted but in the end is very helpful for everyone's survival, Burke (Paul Rieser), slimy corporate kiss ass company man who the we all love to hate, and of course, the adorable little Newt (Carrie Henn), a girl who has survived the slaughter of the colony. Obviously though it's the the sheer spectacle of what is basically a Vietnam war movie in space is awe-inspiring with impressive sets, excitingly-staged combat sequences,the lighting and cinematography,the aliens themselves.Cameron like Scott waits till late on in the movie before giving us a view of the creatures,also what make's them so effective is that we're not told too much about them. We only get glimpses into their physiology's, their behavioral patterns and their intelligence,we are left again with question's that are left to are own viewing pleasure,to work out.
Unlike Scotts movie,production was affected by a number of personnel and cast disruptions.Cameron, who is known to be a hard driving director and at the time was bound to a low budget with a release date set that he could not delay, found it difficult to adjust to working practices such as the regular tea breaks that brought production to a temporary halt. Shooting was said to be problematic due to cultural clashes between Cameron and the British crew.A walkout occurred when Cameron clashed with an uncooperative cameraman who refused to light a scene the way Cameron wanted. The cameraman had lit the Alien nest set brightly, while Cameron insisted on his original vision of a dark, foreboding nest, relying on the lights from the Marines' armor. After the cameraman was fired, Gale Hurd (his then wife and producer on Aliens)managed to coax the crew members into coming back to work.James Honer also clashed with Cameron,and said that tensions between himself and Cameron were so high during post-production,it's a wonder he did not walk,and he assumed they would never work together again.But he did work for him again and the score for this movie is awesome,though Jerry Goldsmith still takes some beating for his Alien score.With all this fuss it still was nominated for 7 Oscars, including Weaver as Best Actress,which confirms the general class of acting on display, as it is fairly rare for the Academy to recognize the acting qualities in this type of action/horror-driven movie.The film went on to win for Best Visual Effects and Best Sound Effects Editing.And no wonder as in full HD Blu Ray you experience very close to what i did all those years ago on the big screen.Jaw dropping effects,and thundering sound effects,and H.R Giger's formidable acid drooling giant mother of all Aliens,in a classic stand out bitch fight to end all bitch fights.Miss this one and you might as well become an Soap fan or X Factor junkie,because this is Cameron's best movie to date,yes better than Avatar,and maybe the greatest ever sequel made.ALIEN is still my favorite,IE the original Theater release,but i can't in all honesty part the two on points out of ten they are both so different yet the same so 10/10

Post #: 307
RE: A L I E N - 4/11/2010 7:40:06 PM   
evil bill

Now Number three in the box set,and it's a huge improvement.
ALIEN 3

The film begins on board an escape vessel in which Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and a droid called Bishop are traveling on,but the pod crashes  killing Newt, Hicks, and destroying Bishop. Ripley is revived from her cryo-sleep by the prison doctor and soon discovers what happened to her and her remaining crew members.And finds that she is on a planet inhabited by prisoners who have been left to govern themselves in a ore refinery facility/prison. After calling for assistance from the Company they wait for Ripley to be transported off the planet, as she doesn't belong there. After a short time, a shaven-headed Ripley starts discovering that prisoners are being killed in a very similar manner to that of the Aliens she has faced in the previous two films. Once this is discovered, she and the remaining prisoners must devise a plan to kill the Alien that stalks the prison facility, hiding in ventilation shafts.

This is one of the most heavily criticized of the Alen sequels,yet in his feature debut David Fincher shows a lot of promise for better things to come,plus for me goe's back to a much darker vision that Scott hinted at in the first.And  Fox's Blu ray with the restoration of Fincher's original edit is cause for celebration,as now we can see it is a great first timer movie with bite.Here we have wonderful dark depressing sets and another great turn from Weaver as Ripley,in this bold and haunting movie.A fascinating, often fantastic,yet flawed film,that is indebted to and yet self-consciously divorced from its acclaimed predecessors.
The main problem with this one was the story,which if a certain Vincent Ward,had had his way we would have had a shit movie,about a wooden planet populated by religious monks who have turned their back on technology.Some time into the development of this idea, studio execs suddenly produced a list of changes, which angered Ward and forced him to leave.So they hired Fincher ,but with the pre-production process in some what of a mess, with half built sets and a muddled script.Plus Fox had already set a release date, and without a finished script, there was no choice but to begin production and make things up as they went along. Fincher was constantly being undermined by Fox, who would tell him to cut various parts of the film or simply not to shoot some scenes. In the end, Fincher walked out during post-production, which explains how the movie was released with the butchered theatrical cut and sub-standard special effects.This release is as good as your going to get with Fincher still not willing to get involved in it,so rumours of a Directors cut are just a smoke screen by a highly embarrassed Fox,as style-master David Fincher,went on to greater things with Seven and Fight Club.
This new restored version of Alien 3 seen for the first time on Blu Ray, has a better flow plot wise and is so much better than the theatrical version. Unfortunately, while better, Alien 3 is still not the classic that Alien or Aliens were but is better than the final Alien Resurrection. Maybe if Fincher had been allowed to properly finish the film,and given a higher budget,plus control over the story and script it may have fared better.Still i like the dark twisted ending,i think David Fincher does an outstanding directing job here, really delivering an eerie atmosphere.We also get off to a decent start,the action is rolling in the credits and we glimpse some Alien activity on board Ripley's ship, leaving questions open as she crash lands. The ending, as in true Alien franchise fashion, is a sad depressing and highly dramatic turn of events,as we now know the true intentions of the Company. Personally i love films which don't have happy ending as they are too cliched, this has more realism to me,and is more down to earth, you could almost forget it is the future, or that its set on a distant planet.I think it makes the alien creature more terrifying, because the surroundings and it occupants are more real,and like the first they are alone.There are some fantastic scenes,but very little CGI or visual effects compared to the first two,and the acting from the mainly British end is above average,though not as high a standard as the first two.Overall this has the David Fincher stamp of style,and he does an outstanding directing job here,and both stars, Sigourney Weaver and Charles Dance perform brilliantly,with a flawed script.Forget all the bad reports give it ago i think it will surprise quite a few,in it's near as it can be to Finchers own cut.7/10

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 308
RE: A L I E N - 13/11/2010 3:57:05 PM   
evil bill

And finally the fourth and last of the ALIEN Blu-Ray box set.
Alien: Resurrection 1997

After killing herself to prevent the government from taking the monstrous Alien to Earth, Ellen Ripley awakens 200 years later to find she has been cloned in order to withdraw the Alien living inside her.She has been resurrected on the USM Auriga using blood samples from Fiorina 161, for the purpose of extracting the alien queen inside her. As the world around her begins to fall apart and the terror begins again, Ripley realises that the scientists who cloned her may not have fully removed the Alien from her, at the same time that she is, once again, perhaps the only one who can stop the horrific infestation from reaching Earth.

First off this has got major flaws and some plot holes, yet i find myself liking Alien Resurrection a lot more on Blu-Ray the directors cut?.The script just like with ALIEN 3 was butchered by the suits and the producers,they took Joss Whedon's original (which is available online).,and left only a shell of what was on offer.IE Whedon rightly made Ripley's resurrection the backbone for the story, finding new things to do with a character many believed had reached the end of her life, both literally and creatively.Now Sigourney Weaver has been given an interesting character to play and does it with a strange sense of detachment that lends more depth to the proceedings,proving once again what a great actress she is.Now he also carefully fleshed out the supporting characters just enough to keep them interesting,not the comic idiots on display. There where small  problems even in his original script,but it's the feeble alterations that damage the film,like reducing characters like Hillard.But far worse changing the ending so the audience never gets to see earth,the only place, as Whedon instinctively understood, that the climax could possibly take place.Also Winona Ryder absolutely kills this movie with her wooden acting,ok so she's a robot, but that's just something defenders of her unexplainable star status say to avoid admitting the fact that she is shit.I think the only reason she got the role was the suits thought she'd be a better box office draw to the teenagers it was aimed at in it's first cut.
So why then did i like it,easy Brad Dourif as the mad doctor(he's just great in everything) who's examination of the Aliens turns pretty nasty when he plays with them,now that was a scene of inspired genius as only Brad could play it.Next is when Ripley wakes up alone in her circular chamber,all done with out a word being spoken,because everything is pure visual in these scenes.Also the underwater chase which is a bit ropey CGI wise but still fun,except the holding the breath underwater for so long was oppps silly.The film is a brilliant exercise in dynamic visuals,both the cinematography and set design is awesome,and production design is bold and distinctive, with perhaps a hint to much of a comic book feel,the sickly green light, the mad scientist outfits, the giant glass jars in the lab.Yet i feel Jean-Pierre Jeunet was an excellent choice for a director as like the previous directors he brings his own take on a great Franchise,but it's the script that let's him down.John Frizzell's score is the fourth take on Goldsmith's original Alien theme for the series,and gives the film its own distinctive flavor,but seems to rob a lot from Jerry's original.It is still a must-see film for any Alien fan,even with it's flaws,it moves at a fast pace,and looks great,and Weaver saves the day,along with Dourif so give it a go.6/10

(in reply to warsop_trapdoor)
Post #: 309
A L I E N - 14/11/2010 7:14:52 AM   
Snake-Eyes

The crap thing about trying to snare a US copy of any dvd or blu-ray is that it takes so long to get here! I'm still waiting for the ANTHOLOGY from amazon US but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 310
RE: A L I E N - 14/11/2010 6:38:09 PM   
hampstead bandit

so far I have watched Alien (dir. cut), Aliens (dir. cut) and Alien 3 (workprint) from the Anthology Blu-Ray boxset, and am working my way through the fantastic special features

Alien 4 is next to be watched after I done with the special features

I'd highly recommend the boxset to fans, its got a wealth of material as well as 2 versions of each film

truly one of the best "ultimate" boxset film collections I have in my ever-expanding collection of DVD and HD Blu-Ray films

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 311
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2010 5:51:27 PM   
24framescast

Save yourself from watching 4, the ending of 3 is the perefect why to end the series and as bleak as it is, is the most fitting in my mind. If anyone can get to Manchester there is a screening of Aliens in the great northern warehouse on Thurdsay 25th November which by the looks of things is going to be awesmome!

The 24 Frames Cast Podcast can be found at:
http://24framescast.blogspot.com/

Post #: 312
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2010 6:08:52 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: 24framescast

Save yourself from watching 4, the ending of 3 is the perefect why to end the series and as bleak as it is, is the most fitting in my mind. If anyone can get to Manchester there is a screening of Aliens in the great northern warehouse on Thurdsay 25th November which by the looks of things is going to be awesmome!

Sorry - I had to laugh when I read that - doesn't sound like it'd be that awesome really does it? be honest.

(in reply to 24framescast)
Post #: 313
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2010 8:44:09 PM   
24framescast

I think i should  have been a  tad more specific The Great Northern is actually a pretty impressive building and they are doing it up like the planet from the film and  giving away free booze also before and after the screening!

The 24 Frames Cast Podcast can be found at:
http://24framescast.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 314
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2010 9:43:02 PM   
hampstead bandit

well, after watching all the brilliant special features (on 2 HD Blu-Ray discs) I finally got to watching the "directors cut" of Alien 4, which I'd never seen before

a surprising treat, especially the ending

*SPOILER ALERT*

Ripley and Col sitting on the dustbin that is Earth (reminded me of Owen Wilson's 'Idiocracy'), the ending was fitting for a 4-film franchise

thoroughly enjoyed Alien 4, after watching the Alien 4 special features and learning alot about the French director / crew (of course I had already seen his classic French films)

(in reply to 24framescast)
Post #: 315
RE: A L I E N - 20/11/2010 6:21:10 PM   
simonmckergan1

Just watched Alien on Blu Ray.  Stunning, simply stunning.  

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

Post #: 316
RE: A L I E N - 23/11/2010 7:30:08 PM   
evil bill

quote:

well, after watching all the brilliant special features (on 2 HD Blu-Ray discs) I finally got to watching the "directors cut" of Alien 4, which I'd never seen before

a surprising treat, especially the ending

*SPOILER ALERT*

Ripley and Col sitting on the dustbin that is Earth (reminded me of Owen Wilson's 'Idiocracy'), the ending was fitting for a 4-film franchise

thoroughly enjoyed Alien 4, after watching the Alien 4 special features and learning alot about the French director / crew (of course I had already seen his classic French films)

Yes indeed a fine finish to a great franchise,and The Directors Cut is the way it should have been seen in the cinema,but hey it was worth the wait.

Post #: 317
RE: A L I E N - 3/12/2010 8:21:50 AM   
Snake-Eyes

well, my U.S. copy of the blu-ray finally arrived a few days ago - now I just gotta take some time out to sit back n' enjoy.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 318
A L I E N - 17/2/2011 12:15:19 AM   
Snake-Eyes

Watching the ALIEN SAGA documentary, I noticed something; said doc is produced by PROMETHEUS Entertainment. Coincidence...?

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 319
RE: A L I E N - 17/2/2011 5:41:44 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

Watching the ALIEN SAGA documentary, I noticed something; said doc is produced by PROMETHEUS Entertainment. Coincidence...?

Yes.

Been watching the Blu-Rays on and off, Alien and Aliens look great but did they just not bother with Alien3 (or is it due to it being the work print)

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 320
RE: A L I E N - 17/2/2011 6:09:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

Yes.

Been watching the Blu-Rays on and off, Alien and Aliens look great but did they just not bother with Alien3 (or is it due to it being the work print)

While Alien 3 didn't get as much of a upgrade - they did A LOT of work on the workprint, making the print consistent and relooping a lot of the sound - even getting the actors in to redo the ADR. So while the image isn't to the scale of the previous films, some work has been given the movie.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 321
RE: A L I E N - 17/2/2011 6:13:30 PM   
Tech_Noir

Fair enough, just very obvious that the first two got more attention, which is a shame since I only dislike A:R out of the four.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 322
RE: A L I E N - 22/2/2011 5:19:56 PM   
DUMBO

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

Man dont say that i dont want to double dip is the picture really that good ?

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 323
RE: A L I E N - 22/2/2011 5:37:26 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: DUMBO

quote:

Yes it's that good,this is my third box set of the Alien movies,VHS/DVD and now Blu Ray which is what it was made for.

(in reply to DUMBO)
Post #: 324
RE: A L I E N - 22/2/2011 5:53:13 PM   
DUMBO

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

quote:

Yes it's that good,this is my third box set of the Alien movies,VHS/DVD and now Blu Ray which is what it was made for.

I'll wait for the price to come down then

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 325
RE: A L I E N - 22/2/2011 6:05:03 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

quote:

I'll wait for the price to come down then

Amazon was doing good deals with up to 70% off Blu-Ray box sets,worth a look.

(in reply to DUMBO)
Post #: 326
RE: A L I E N - 22/2/2011 6:52:28 PM   
DUMBO

Thanks

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 327
A L I E N - 22/2/2011 7:16:06 PM   
Snake-Eyes

The ALIEN ANTHOLOGY set has been sat on Snake-Eyes' shelf alongside AVATAR: EXTENDED EDITION, T2: SKYNET EDITION, GLADIATOR and a whole bunch of other unopened blu-rays for YONKS. However, I have 14 days annual leave comin' up soon...

btw - I reckon 'DUMBO' is 'coolstar' a.k.a. 'moviestar2'

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 22/2/2011 7:36:27 PM >

(in reply to DUMBO)
Post #: 328
RE: A L I E N - 26/2/2011 11:12:48 PM   
Nihilism in the UK

Hi everyone. I just signed up today.

I love Alien. I'm not someone who gets scared easily by so-called horror/monster films, but to this day Alien still terrifies me. Even the opening credits make you feel uneasy, that weird, ambient noise as the camera pans across the planet in the background.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 329
RE: A L I E N - 26/2/2011 11:57:53 PM   
vad3r

I really wish Alien 4 wasn't included in this set and wasn't part of the Alien saga.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Nihilism in the UK)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> A L I E N Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI