Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A L I E N

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> A L I E N Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A L I E N - 14/11/2008 4:13:22 PM   
evil bill

A L I E N (1979)

When commercial towing vehicle Nostromo, heading back to Earth, intercepts an SoS signal from a nearby planet, the crew are under obligation to investigate. After a bad landing on the planet, some crew members leave the ship to explore the area. At the same time as they discover a hive colony of some unknown creature, the ship's computer deciphers the message to be a warning, not a call for help. When one of the eggs is disturbed, the crew do not know the danger they are in until.An alien life-form attach's itself to the face of a crew member, the rest of the team act fast to try and separate the two organisms. Unbeknownst to everyone, this is the start of the terror which would affect every member of the seven person crew.

"In Space no one can hear you scream"The A L I E N poster tagline is a classic come on i dare you to watch this one.And i was lucky enough to see it on the big screen on it's first release,and wow what a movie a true classic Horror/Sci/Fi monster of a movie.What makes Alien so great is the constant feel of uneasiness,the attion to detail in the art work by H.R.Giger.Right from the opening title you have a feeling that something is wrong,that you arte in for a real treat. The crew is not particularly friendly towards each other, and you truly feel all the in-group tension,the bosse's verus the workers if you like. The ship itself is like a huge worn out industrial-style Cathedral,with a maze of halls and corridors, and it feels as if not only the alien but also the ship itself is against the humans. The Alien itself is the scariest monster in movie history because it is a ruthless, soul-less parasite completely devoid of any human or civilized traits. The design of the monster is a stroke of genius,it has a humanoid form, but it has no facial traits or anything else which could give away emotions or intentions. The Alien is more or less the opposite of everything human and civilized, plus the creature is more well-adapted to the inhumane interior of the ship than the humans who build it. To sum up, you then have a setting where the humans are caught in a web of in-group tensions, an inhospitable ship and the perfect killer which thrives in the ships intestines. You almost get the feel that the humans are the ones who are alienated to each other and to their own ship.

Ridley Scott tells the story with a perfectly synchronized blend of visuals and sounds,and showcases his great art skills he deveoped in adverts before he turned to movies.This is Ridleys best movie,and only his second feature film,he would show off his great love for Sci/Fi in Blade Runner,also a classic movie,but this is as near perfect as you can get.
The actors (Tom Skerritt) as Dallas the captain,always looks tierd of the in fighting of his crew and his warrant officer Ripley(Sigourney Weaver)always asking for too much of him.They along with the rest of the great cast do a superb job, portraying their characters in a subtle but very realistic way. As mentioned the ship is very claustrophobic and Ridley Scott adds to the eeriness by using camera movement, lights and shadows in an effective way. The living quarters are bright and should be comfortable to the crew, but there is something sterile about it all. The rest of the ship is basically a huge basement work area in need of repair,and very like a modren oil refinery in appearance,lost and alone in deep space rather than deep sea.The music by Jerry Goldsmith underlines the eeriness so well,it's one of his altime great scores,and the movie work's in harmoney with the music.And combined with the sounds of the ship it all adds to the great uneasiness and chill factor.

This is not a story about heroic people who boldly teams up against evil. It's a story about ordinary people facing true fear, which is the fear without a face. The fear we can't understand and can't negotiate with, because its only goal is to survive at the expense of the crew or any other living organism. It's a story where some people bravely fight back,knowing they have no way of escape,that they etier live or die fighting.From the moment the chest buster reveals itse;f to the nail biteing end,you know this bunch of ordinary people with all there flaws are doomed,but you feel for them.This is one of the great tricks in great classic horror movies,getting you to have an emoutional link to the actors on screen,so much so you belive they are real peole,just for those couple of hours on screen.The terror isn't just the Alien itself, it's the entire atmosphere which gets so effectively under your skin, that you just can't shrug it off after the end credits like you can with so many other Hollywood horror movies.This film made Weaver a star and icon overnight as the gusty sole human survior,in her skimpy vest and panties.She was to be naked but refused,but the effect still works the frailty of being human againest a perfect killing machine.Strangly it has'nt aged to badly it's coming up to it's 30Th birthday,and thats because ture clasics never age they are worth visting again and again.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"
Post #: 1
RE: A L I E N - 15/11/2008 11:34:41 AM   
dj vivace

Quite simply, THE best sci-fi/horror of all time! The fact its coming on 30 years old, and STILL looks fresh, absoloutley terrifying, and personally the effects haven't dated at all! is quite an achievement. Plainly put, this film oozes brilliance, from both the director, the actors, the music and sound, the script, the effects, everything in this film is perfect. Mate, you've got me in the mood for one of those Alien days  Ever had one? where you try to watch the lot in one day, its not easy with the extended director's cut of Alien 3

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 2
RE: A L I E N - 15/11/2008 11:40:03 AM   
Tech_Noir

The first half is brilliant, I always struggle to sit through the second.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 3
RE: A L I E N - 15/11/2008 11:49:42 AM   
tftrman

I actually watched this last night. I appreciate it for it's technical brilliance but it lacks tension for me, the way the alien despatches the crew wasn't particularly well done for me and I'm not really made to care about any of them so when they die it's just "another one gone". And the other female crew member (see watch it last night and can't remember her name!) was just irritating.

Alien3 is still my favourite.

< Message edited by tftrman -- 15/11/2008 11:50:03 AM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 4
RE: A L I E N - 15/11/2008 6:31:29 PM   
UTB

I've always preferred Alien to Aliens (which I think suffers from 80's cheese and Bill fucking Paxton, though I still like it).

Sigourney Weaver creates such a strong character in Ripley, and the Alien is such an incredibe enemy. The whole film crackles with tension, the set design is still great after 30 years, and Ian Holm is absolutely menacing as Ash.

A perfect film from start to finish.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 5
RE: A L I E N - 15/11/2008 6:42:36 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

I actually watched this last night. I appreciate it for it's technical brilliance but it lacks tension for me, the way the alien despatches the crew wasn't particularly well done for me and I'm not really made to care about any of them so when they die it's just "another one gone". And the other female crew member (see watch it last night and can't remember her name!) was just irritating.

Strangely i totally disagree with the lack of tension statement. If half the crappy horror movies of the last 30 odd years since had the same amount of tension as Alien then I would have a DVD collection too big to fit in my house. Such a perfectly marketed and filmed movie with a nightmare of a monster. Has all the ingredients of a classic ghost ride, poor light , strange noises and jump out scares. The tension builds from the very start of the flick for godz sakes.
(Spoiler -if you havent seen it shame on you) Tom Skerrit's (brilliant in this movie) demise scene is one of the most jump out your knickers scary moments I've ever seen. Oh, I love Ian Holm in this movie. Take away the alien and you still have the obsessed, psycho, looney, icy-cold android. Yes I have had too much beer and whisky -goodnight!

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 6
RE: A L I E N - 15/11/2008 8:12:20 PM   
kingalan

quote:

Surely the very essence of Alien is tension. It's intense to the point of a heart defect.

Perfect film.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 7
RE: A L I E N - 15/11/2008 10:20:03 PM   
sphincter

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I've always preferred Alien to Aliens (which I think suffers from 80's cheese and Bill fucking Paxton, though I still like it).

Sigourney Weaver creates such a strong character in Ripley, and the Alien is such an incredibe enemy. The whole film crackles with tension, the set design is still great after 30 years, and Ian Holm is absolutely menacing as Ash.

A perfect film from start to finish.

I agree, Aliens is fun and a good action film but it's no-way near as good as Alien.

what burns never returns

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 8
RE: A L I E N - 15/11/2008 11:28:02 PM   
homersimpson_esq

"Here kitty kitty kitty..."

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to sphincter)
Post #: 9
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2008 1:42:55 PM   
krudler

Amazing film, the sets look better than anything in sci fi these days, dirty, lived in, REAL, a classic in every sense of the word

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 10
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2008 2:01:09 PM   
Baby Bear

The fact that this film still feels fresh and can be revisited time and time again is testament to its quality. I'm like Bill, I saw this first time around, and I was blown away....

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 11
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2008 3:11:34 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baby Bear

The fact that this film still feels fresh and can be revisited time and time again is testament to its quality. I'm like Bill, I saw this first time around, and I was blown away....

Notting like seeing a classic for the first time on the big screen,i remmber you could nearly smell the fear in the cinema.When Kane finds the egg and it opens that had people jumping,then the bloody thing jumps out at him,the cinema nearly lost it's roof.And that was just for starters.

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 12
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2008 4:24:20 PM   
darth silas

I think this film would have had even more impact if Ridley scott used more of the music Jerry Goldsmith composed for this film.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 13
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2008 7:31:52 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

I think this film would have had even more impact if Ridley scott used more of the music Jerry Goldsmith composed for this film.

I have Jerrys full score on CD and yes it would have added to this great movie,but Scott knew what he was doing for sure.
  Some triva about A L I E N for you.
*  Originally to be directed by Walter Hill, but he pulled out and gave the job to Ridley Scott.

* Veronica Cartwright was originally to play Ripley, but producers opted for Sigourney Weaver.

* An early draft of the script had a male Ripley.

* All of the names of the main characters were changed by Walter Hill and David Giler during the revision of the original script by 'Dan O'Bannon' and Ronald Shusett. The script by O'Bannon and Shusett also had a clause indicating that all of the characters are "unisex", meaning they could be cast with male or female actors. However, Shusett and O'Bannon never thought of casting Ripley as a female character.

* Conceptual artist H.R. Giger's designs were changed several times because of their blatant sexuality.

* Much of the dialogue was developed through improvisation.

* The front (face) part of the alien costume's head is made from a cast of a real human skull.

* Ridley Scott is reportedly quoted as saying that originally he wanted a much darker ending. He planned on having the alien bite off Ripley's head in the escape shuttle, sit in her chair, and then start speaking with her voice in a message to Earth. Apparently, 20th Century Fox wasn't too pleased with such a dark ending.

# The rumor that the cast, except for John Hurt, did not know what would happen during the "chestburster" scene is partly true. The scene had been explained for them, but they did not know specifics. For example, Veronica Cartwright did not expect to be sprayed with blood.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 16/11/2008 7:32:34 PM >

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 14
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2008 7:41:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Don't know if I agree with that. One of the great things about Alien is how is moves between the music and silence. Goldsmith would have become intrusive at times I feel.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 15
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2008 8:41:15 PM   
Tech_Noir

I still think Scott should have gone with his original ideas for ending.

Have Ripley nude and the alien bite her head off before talking to Earth over the radio in clear English.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2008 8:46:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

It would have either been hailed as one of the best endings of a horror movie or one of the worst.

I think it was wise of Scott to not take the risk.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 17
RE: A L I E N - 16/11/2008 9:26:16 PM   
Baby Bear

It's one of those instances where it's best not to second guess on anything.

If we tweaked every film, after the fact, we would never be satisfied with anything on screen.

Let's just agree that there is a reason for it's popularity and longevity?

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 18
RE: A L I E N - 17/11/2008 1:47:46 PM   
coolstar

A classic that still scares the hell out of people

I am going Deep Deep undercover

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 19
RE: A L I E N - 17/11/2008 2:14:44 PM   
FGT

The last couple of times I've watched Alien - director's cut. Either version is still brilliant. Ground breaking sci-fi and with unanswered questions..I love films that don't give you all of the answers. Aliens has, for me, far too much soundbite dialogue with a special award going to Bill Paxton for his contribution to the art of cringe inducing characters

What would Dexter do?

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 20
RE: A L I E N - 17/11/2008 6:42:38 PM   
kingalan

I'm not a fan of the director's cut and I doubt I'll ever bother with it again. The cocoon scene in particular is a gripe of mine. The natural development of how the Xenomorphs breed etc is perfect for the sequel but I always preferred the idea in the original that this alien is simply a killing machine, knowing nothing else but to attack and having no other agenda.

Maybe just me.

(in reply to FGT)
Post #: 21
RE: A L I E N - 17/11/2008 6:49:26 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: FGT

Aliens has, for me, far too much soundbite dialogue with a special award going to Bill Paxton for his contribution to the art of cringe inducing characters

(stunned)

Anyways, Giger gets a lot of the design praise for the film but I think Ron Cobb's work was just as impressive.

(in reply to FGT)
Post #: 22
RE: A L I E N - 17/11/2008 7:25:19 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

I have Jerrys full score on CD and yes it would have added to this great movie,but Scott knew what he was doing for sure.
Some triva about A L I E N for you.
*  Originally to be directed by Walter Hill, but he pulled out and gave the job to Ridley Scott.

* Veronica Cartwright was originally to play Ripley, but producers opted for Sigourney Weaver.

* An early draft of the script had a male Ripley.

* All of the names of the main characters were changed by Walter Hill and David Giler during the revision of the original script by 'Dan O'Bannon' and Ronald Shusett. The script by O'Bannon and Shusett also had a clause indicating that all of the characters are "unisex", meaning they could be cast with male or female actors. However, Shusett and O'Bannon never thought of casting Ripley as a female character.

* Conceptual artist H.R. Giger's designs were changed several times because of their blatant sexuality.

* Much of the dialogue was developed through improvisation.

* The front (face) part of the alien costume's head is made from a cast of a real human skull.

* Ridley Scott is reportedly quoted as saying that originally he wanted a much darker ending. He planned on having the alien bite off Ripley's head in the escape shuttle, sit in her chair, and then start speaking with her voice in a message to Earth. Apparently, 20th Century Fox wasn't too pleased with such a dark ending.

# The rumor that the cast, except for John Hurt, did not know what would happen during the "chestburster" scene is partly true. The scene had been explained for them, but they did not know specifics. For example, Veronica Cartwright did not expect to be sprayed with blood.

If only that ending was available as an extra, so we could at least get to see it. Not sure it would've worked, but my god would i love to see it.  Didn't realise most of the dialogue was improvised, and knoew the 'chestburster' scene was, that it REAL fear in the casts faces, now that is good! I must really get round to working my way through all the extras on the 'Quadrilogy' boxset

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 23
RE: A L I E N - 17/11/2008 8:15:39 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: FGT

Aliens has, for me, far too much soundbite dialogue with a special award going to Bill Paxton for his contribution to the art of cringe inducing characters

(stunned)

Anyways, Giger gets a lot of the design praise for the film but I think Ron Cobb's work was just as impressive.

Agreed Ron Cobbs spacecraft design is brillant,and i have a book on the movie which shows a lot of the artwork that was dropped of Rons.The space suits was his idea along with Ridley of course,and he designed a space rover for to cross the alien planet,that was also dropped(though you do spot it during the Kitty Kitty scene.).But in the end it's Gigers space jockey,alien craft and of course the alien itself that blow you away,and have never been bettered in any other Sci/Fi horror,or in the other installments.

quote:

If only that ending was available as an extra, so we could at least get to see it. Not sure it would've worked, but my god would i love to see it.  Didn't realise most of the dialogue was improvised, and knoew the 'chestburster' scene was, that it REAL fear in the casts faces, now that is good! I must really get round to working my way through all the extras on the 'Quadrilogy' boxset

I think it might just havre been to much even back then,but as has been said it would have been one of the most talked about endings of all time,or bombed and ruined a classic movie.But with the time and skill that Ridley put into it i think it would have worked,but will never know as it was dropped during the scripting stage.
The chestbuster,if you watch the making of you'll hear the cast say how they where trully shiting themselfs during that scene.Also the design of the spacecraft built in one huge stage,got the tensions running high too,and Tom(Dallas)was'nt jumping for joy when he got near burnt chasing the alien.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 17/11/2008 8:19:30 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 24
RE: A L I E N - 18/11/2008 4:53:26 PM   
coolstar

Can someone tell me how they made Ash ? becouse he was a droid was he a dummy ? Thanks

< Message edited by coolstar -- 18/11/2008 4:54:08 PM >

I am going Deep Deep undercover

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 25
RE: A L I E N - 18/11/2008 5:07:34 PM   
rupert303

quote:

That's a bold strategy, Cotton

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 26
RE: A L I E N - 18/11/2008 5:24:49 PM   
Baby Bear

I love all the extras on the box sets. It makes having a stinking cold worthwhile...........

I can lie in bed feeling like crap, but, be entertained while I'm doing it.....

In fact, I'm going to go to bed soon and do this very thing.............

lympo :

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 27
RE: A L I E N - 18/11/2008 6:35:06 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I love all the extras on the box sets. It makes having a stinking cold worthwhile...........

I love Dan O'Bannon on the extras. You can tell that while he realises the film was a success there is a subtext that suggests he thinks it would have been better had he been director.

I think thats why Ridley gave him his own department on the production.

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 28
RE: A L I E N - 18/11/2008 9:08:24 PM   
evil bill

quote:

Good way to catch up on your favorite movies,and watch all the extras,but shit having the cold.But as long as it's not an Alien egg inplanted you should recover OK
quote:

Rgirvan44

love Dan O'Bannon on the extras. You can tell that while he realises the film was a success there is a subtext that suggests he thinks it would have been better had he been director.

I think thats why Ridley gave him his own department on the production.

Love Dan too but after Dead And Buried he seems to have fallen short on ideas for scripts,and his one movie he directed(Resurrected 1992) on someone elses script based on a HP Lovecraft story was so so and i mean that in a nice way.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 18/11/2008 9:14:29 PM >

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 29
RE: A L I E N - 18/11/2008 9:33:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

I have been trying to see the Resurrected for ages now . O'Bannon knows his Lovecraft - in fact his drafts of the Alien script were much more in that vein than even the finished product.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> A L I E N Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI