Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Exclusive: JJ Talks Klingons

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: JJ Talks Klingons Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exclusive: JJ Talks Klingons - 14/11/2008 9:16:48 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Eh? - 14/11/2008 9:16:48 AM   
Ledbowie

"........Romulans the way we did. Part of the fact is that they hadn’t seen them for so many years......."
Did I miss something or were Romulans at the centre of the plot in the last film???
Haven't seen a Klingon attack in a movie since The Undiscovered Country (and they were only rebels)........

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 14/11/2008 9:49:49 AM   
Greg Andrew

i think he means that at this point in Star Trek history they haven't been seen. THAT COULD BE A BIT GEEKY, even for myself. lol

Post #: 3
- 14/11/2008 9:55:57 AM   
britesparc

I'm gonna be a bit geeky for a moment here too... If he did have Klingons in the movie, wouldn't they have smooth foreheads? Which might need a bit of explaining for newcomers. My Trek Lore is very flaky, tho, so feel free to put me right!

Post #: 4
RE: - 14/11/2008 11:19:10 AM   
the ageless stranger

I think Enterprise explained the smooth forehead thing, by saying that some Klingons caught a disease which, basically, made their foreheads fall off, and they were the ones which were seen in the original series, but the proper-foreheaded Klingons were still out there. 

Yeah, Enterprise was not the best.

Stand And Be True

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 5
Romulans - 14/11/2008 12:37:23 PM   
kingy7

I think what JJ means is that in the original series time frame, the Romulans had not been seen by the Federation for quite some time when they first appeared in the episode 'balence of terror'. This is why everyone is so surprised when they look just like Vulcans. However based on Eric Bana's make up it would appear that these Romulans do not look like this, which may explain how the new film avoids contradicting canon. I remain optimistic about this film and am reassured that they seem to be making the effort to assure fans that it will fit in with established continuity.

Post #: 6
- 14/11/2008 2:09:25 PM   
will2921988

I'm getting more and more exited about this! As with Abrams himself, I wasn't a huge fan of the series but instead grew up with the films. I've always wanted to see the klingons as enemies again and its a shame that this intriguing subplot has been taken out. Maybe we'll see Kirk taking the Kobayashi Maru test with the Klingon Battle Cruisers!

Post #: 7
RE: - 14/11/2008 3:57:14 PM   
Tech_Noir

Not a huge Trekkie but why are the Romulans in this? Klingons are the most iconic Trek villains, I assumed they'd be in the foreground.

(in reply to will2921988)
Post #: 8
RE: Exclusive: JJ Talks Klinkers - 14/11/2008 4:32:17 PM   
Mason Verger

Empire, for the sake of impartiality, could we please have Kim Newman NOT review the new Star Trek film?

< Message edited by Mason Verger -- 14/11/2008 4:34:48 PM >

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

Post #: 9
Warbirds ???? - 14/11/2008 6:43:46 PM   
Gillhead

Get your facts right Empire, Warbirds are Romulan battle cruisers and Bird of Preys are Klingon battle cruisers !!!!

Post #: 10
Warbirds ???? - 14/11/2008 7:05:57 PM   
Gillhead

Get your facts right Empire, Warbirds are Romulan battle cruisers and Bird of Preys are Klingon battle cruisers !!!!

Post #: 11
Hells yeah I'm Geek! - 14/11/2008 7:10:53 PM   
Rebelbumscum

Warbirds are Romulan battleships, Birds of Prey are Klingon
The smooth head klingons explained in Enterprise was about the Klingons conducting genetic experiments to create super klingon warriors (like the genetically engineered human embryos from the Eugenics war), however the experiments create a disease that is almost totally fatal to those exposed, but Dr Phlox the Chief medical officer on NX-01 Enterprise invents a complicated antidote that stops the disease in the early stages but only after the klingons cranial ridges have dissolved. This subsequent genetic anomaly was passed down through the generations as evident in the TOS era. Over time the reason for smooth foreheads was not widely known outside the Klingon empire as it was kept secret out of shame as evident by the DS9 episode where Wharf brushed of Odo's questions over Klingon appearance in the 22nd century (ep: trials and tribulations) "we don't discuss it with outsiders"

Post #: 12
RE: Exclusive: JJ Talks Klingons - 15/11/2008 1:02:38 AM   
commandr

I hate to contradict the "fans," but the first Birds of Prey were Romulan, not Klingon.  This is how they were referred to in the classic episode "Balance of Terror". Romulan "warbirds" first appeared in The Next Generation.  We have seen two classes of Romulan warbird, the D'deridex and the Valdore.

The Klingon Bird of Prey was first seen in Star Trek III.  Klingons may have warbirds too, we have just never seen them on screen before.

And JJ. Abrams opening will only violate cannon if our Starfleet characters see the Romulans face-to-face.  Romulans and Human have certainly "met" before during the Romulan Wars, before Kirk's time.  The ships that fought in that war had no visual communications, so the Humans had no idea what a Romulan looked like until Kirk and crew saw them on the viewscreen in "Balance of Terror".

Post #: 13
RE: Exclusive: JJ Talks Klingons - 15/11/2008 11:07:19 AM   
spark1

actually the romulans were to b the villains of trek III but that changed.
a mistake by writer led to the klingon ship being called a bird of prey-which stuck thru the movies and TNG.

(in reply to commandr)
Post #: 14
But weren't the Romulans in the last Star Trek film, Ne... - 15/11/2008 2:38:39 PM   
Primus

Or have I got it backwards?

< Message edited by Primus -- 15/11/2008 2:39:05 PM >

Post #: 15
But weren't the Romulans in the last Star Film film, Ne... - 15/11/2008 2:39:22 PM   
Primus

Or have I got it backwards?

Post #: 16
Klingon Bird of Who Gives A Crap - 15/11/2008 6:03:00 PM   
The_Hat

Empire, i think you should put a deliberate mistake in every article you post about this film. It's immensely enjoyable watching furious Trekkies giving themselves Vulcan Penis Pinches every time they spot some slight error in nomenclature. Hilarious.

Post #: 17
BOOTLEG-QUALITY STAR TREK TRAILER - 15/11/2008 10:46:56 PM   
boredbluekoala

Now on youtube (catch it quick peeps) It looks flippin brilliant.

Post #: 18
Can't believe i'm typing this - 17/11/2008 8:11:19 AM   
rob_devitt

But nemesis was actually Remans, from Remus. Oh and a human of course.

Post #: 19
Hang on... - 17/11/2008 3:53:57 PM   
Nicky C

Aren't all the Star Trek films other than Wrath of Khan a huge pile of b*llocks? What about that fourth one? I was sick in my own mouth when I saw that? Why would this be any different? And why does anyone care whether or not they remember to put pasties on the actors heads? It'll still be rubbish.

Post #: 20
RE: Hang on... - 17/11/2008 4:42:06 PM   
pete_traynor

Yes, they have been pretty much pants pudding for many a long year now. But when you factor in that JJ Abrams is just generally ace and has promised to right the biggest wrong in the Star Trek cannon ‘No Action!’ A fact that he seems ever so keen to reinforce in the trailer, which is as stated below, brilliant (well minus Pegg’s ropey Scottish accent) it is looking like this could deliver a long overdue action filled, blockbusting Star Trek! I for one cant wait!

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Exclusive: JJ Talks Klingons Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI