Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Cure

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: The Cure Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Cure - 24/11/2011 11:26:21 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

Saw The Cure at Bestival, I wasn't too enthused about them playing a two and a half hour set as surely watching any band for that amount of time would get boring. Plus although I love them, I do think that other than Disintegration which is one of my favourite albums, they are very much a singles band - for me anyway. They were fucking incredible though. Completely blew me away, and the two and a half hours flew by.

I actually find that the reason they're great for me is that they're able to pull off shamelessly brilliant pop singles *and* big cohesive album-length statements that wouldn't work as singles, and do both equally well (my favourite Cure album is Faith but my favourite song is Just Like Heaven, which sort of illustrates my point I guess). I can't really think of any other band since that have been able to do the same.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 31
RE: The Cure - 24/11/2011 11:27:55 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Saw The Cure at Bestival, I wasn't too enthused about them playing a two and a half hour set as surely watching any band for that amount of time would get boring. Plus although I love them, I do think that other than Disintegration which is one of my favourite albums, they are very much a singles band - for me anyway. They were fucking incredible though. Completely blew me away, and the two and a half hours flew by.

Seen them a few times (though not for a while now) and one of the things I love about them are their mammoth sets. Makes sense I suppose - they've got a fucking huge back catalogue.
One of my greatest gig-going highlights was during their performance at Benicassim in 2005 when the sun vanished and it suddenly got dark just as they started the ultra-grim Prayers For Rain and the naughty tablet I'd just necked kicked in. A tad spooky to be honest - I've never been so relieved to hear Friday I'm In Love.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 32
RE: The Cure - 24/11/2011 11:32:02 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

I actually find that the reason they're great for me is that they're able to pull off shamelessly brilliant pop singles *and* big cohesive album-length statements that wouldn't work as singles, and do both equally well (my favourite Cure album is Faith but my favourite song is Just Like Heaven, which sort of illustrates my point I guess). I can't really think of any other band since that have been able to do the same.

That pretty much sums up everything I love about them. As well as their hair.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 33
RE: The Cure - 24/11/2011 11:42:22 PM   
Olaf

The hair is pretty magnificent, this is true.

This thread resurrection has got me listening to them for the first time in ages actually, so cheers for that. A quick top ten:
1. Just Like Heaven
2. Disintegration
3. Charlotte Sometimes
4. All Cats Are Grey
5. Play For Today
6. Friday I'm In Love
7. Plainsong
8. Push
9. The Hanging Garden
10. In Between Days

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 34
RE: The Cure - 25/11/2011 4:47:04 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Bought the Deluxe Edition of Disintegration recently. Superb album.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 35
RE: The Cure - 17/12/2011 2:40:33 PM   
losthighway

I'm a fan of The Cure, first getting into them after hearing Burn on The Crow soundtrack. I saw them on their Wild Mood Swings tour and about 4 years ago at Wembley Arena where they played for over 3hrs and had people walking out through boredom! I love Rob and his team but seriously, i'll never have to see them live again 'cos I heard practically their entire back catalogue live that night. I know they played the UK not long ago but a full tour really is in order again, because they seem to favour America more than us these days.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 36
RE: The Cure - 17/12/2011 3:07:33 PM   
superdan

Love The Cure. I watched a Placebo gig in Wembley many years ago and at the end Robert Smith emerged out (to everyone's surprise) and they played 3 or 4 Cure songs which it's fair to say was the clear highlight of the evening for me.

My unoriginal Top 10 would probably be: 
1 - Just Like Heaven
2 - Lullaby
3 - Close To Me
4 - Lovesong
5 - Fascination Street
6 - In Between Days
7 - Friday I'm In Love
8 - Pictures Of You
9 - Boys Don't Cry
10 - Caterpillar

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 37
RE: The Cure - 17/12/2011 4:35:20 PM   
directorscut

Katie Melua's cover of Just Like Heaven is way better than the original.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 38
RE: The Cure - 17/12/2011 4:39:56 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

If it's on the TV and you turn the volume right down, maybe.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 39
RE: The Cure - 17/12/2011 4:47:16 PM   
directorscut

You wouldn't be able to hear the beautiful vocals and elegant guitar then.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 40
RE: The Cure - 17/12/2011 5:04:43 PM   
Piles

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

You should stick to being wrong about films.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

Post #: 41
RE: The Cure - 17/12/2011 5:07:15 PM   
directorscut

I dunno, it's more fun being right about music.

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 42
RE: The Cure - 17/12/2011 6:22:35 PM   
superdan

But Melua's version is a cock-hair away from sounding like lift music.

Post #: 43
RE: The Cure - 2/8/2012 7:47:26 PM   
horribleives

Just enjoying my annual Listen To Nowt But The Cure fortnight (though it may stretch to three weeks this time) apropos a couple of mates continuously banging on about how great they were in Portugal the orther week (cunts) and a question has just struck me: How fucking awesome is the guitar playing on The Kiss?

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 44
RE: The Cure - 7/8/2012 1:45:49 PM   
sharkboy

At the weekend, my sister informed me that she and a few colleagues have been seconded to provide security management advice for this years Reading festival.  One of her roles will be to be onstage in the wings while The Cure perform their Friday headliner.  But of course, I'm not jealous at all,  Oh no, not I...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 45
RE: The Cure - 7/8/2012 2:24:00 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

At the weekend, my sister informed me that she and a few colleagues have been seconded to provide security management advice for this years Reading festival.  One of her roles will be to be onstage in the wings while The Cure perform their Friday headliner.  But of course, I'm not jealous at all,  Oh no, not I...

That'd be cool though I'd feel a bit self-conscious in the wings - I'd much rather be in the crowd on drugs
Just bought the deluxe edition of Kiss Me Kiss Kiss Me the other week (my cassette copy bought in 1989 died a hard-fought death years ago) and it's only just dawned on me how much Orange Crush by REM sounds like Torture. And that The Perfect Girl is basically Sweet Home Alabama. Still (possibly) their second best record though.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 46
RE: The Cure - 9/8/2012 11:42:25 AM   
Rhubarb

I think Kiss Me (x3) is my favourite of theirs as well. Its certainly the one I listen to the most, and the one with a guarenteed place on my ever changing ipod playlist

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 47
RE: The Cure - 24/8/2012 3:20:04 PM   
horribleives

Apparently BBC3 are showing the first hour or so of tonight's Reading set.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 48
RE: The Cure - 4/9/2012 1:01:31 AM   
demoncleaner

I saw The Cure on Saturday night at Electric Picnic and they just devastated me. In the best possible way of course. It's a strange and nice feeling.... being nicely devastated.

To describe what I mean by that, it was like standing in the dark, in a field, along with several hundred other meaty shadows, blinded by magnesium arc lamps whilst being inundated...and we'll put "inundated" in italics in case the experience isn't sufficiently demonstrative... being "inundated" by a three-hour lob of girly musical hand-grenades at you.

Actually that doesn't sound very good at all.

And on paper it doesn't. And if all reviewers squared that circle and said "you had to be there" there'd be no reviewers left and the ones that were left would be doing themselves out of a job. But no prick pays me so.... YOU HAD TO BE THERE... MAN!

But yeah, I think we'll have to wait until next year's door-step compendium DVD to understand the "THUNDERING GROOOOOOOOOOOOOVE" that is the sound of The Cure (live)* in 2012. I watched the Reading set the week before; call it fore-play; call it titillation, but that vibro-Hiroshima thrummmmmmmm of Simon Gallup's bass doesn't really manifest in your bowels until you're there. Yes. Your bowels had to be there... man.

But that's the silliness talking. The final epiphany remains that at 34 years old The Cure (live)* appeals to both the sensitive boy - which I never was as a kid - though I am now and always should have been.... and the perennial-inner-man-thug who likes a wall of unremitting sound now and again.

And...I'm not gay....

....but....

..... Simon Gallup is how a man should look.

Because boys don't man crush.

*i use this: "(live)" ironically because I don't know what that means, It seems to be a new thing they put on music bills to obliquely identify the pay grade of someone you can press play on a record in front of you, whilst you're there, and someone turning up on the behalf of that someone who could press play who goes to, in actual fact, press play on the same record. I don't know, I'm in my thirties, I'm not supposed to know these things.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 4/9/2012 2:42:44 AM >

Post #: 49
RE: The Cure - 4/9/2012 7:46:10 PM   
paul.mccluskey

BBC3 showed about 2 hours of The Cure's set at Reading. Magical, I'd never heard Open before, but when they began with that I was hypnotised. Incredible.

Any news on the Wish remaster? It's supposed to be out this year.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 50
RE: The Cure - 4/9/2012 10:00:38 PM   
horribleives

It was quite a Wish-heavy set actually - Open, High, Doing The Unstuck, Friday I'm In Love and two of their greatest ever tracks, the absolutely amazing From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea and the achingly sad Trust. Sublime.
Haven't heard anything else about the re-issue other than that it's supposedly coming out this year. Should be worth the wait though - I've bought most of the deluxe editions and they're rammed with goodness.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 51
RE: The Cure - 9/9/2012 10:31:52 PM   
SilentBob

I thought at one stage they were going to play Wish live and I was getting rather excited.

Blah Blah Blah

Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: The Cure Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI